Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Akwasi Asante, Signs For Gloucester City
Rio Doherty
post Jun 6 2020, 12:23 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

Striker Akwasi Asante left Chester FC to sign for Gloucester City on a one-year contract yesterday. Disappointing considering we kick-started Akwasi’s career and there was a strong bond between him and our supporters, but he’s presumably gone for more money and is closer to home, so you can see why he has moved. There is no doubt that Gloucester City are a club on the up with them returning home from their 13 year exile, making high profile signings, and having some investment, but I do feel that this is a step back for him. I expect Gloucester to be challenging for the play-offs next season, but considering the likes of Solihull Moors and Torquay United were interested in him (two clubs higher up with money), I’m a bit perplexed. There is no doubt that he is National League or even League Two pedigree either, so for me he’s knocking back his development at a time where he needs to be knocking on that EFL door. It will be really hard for us to find a replacement, especially without the helping hand of Stuart Murphy. However, we have recovered from set-backs in the past regarding the likes of James Alabi and Ben Heneghan, and I am sure we will overcome this one. One really annoying thing about this current situation though is that we cannot sign any players, yet our out-of-contract players (who could potentially participate in the play-offs) are able to sign for other clubs. It was inevitable that Asante was going to leave anyway, but who’s to say that other out-of-contract players such as Danny Livesey, Anthony Dudley, or Danny Elliott could follow suit, even though they could participate in the play-offs (if they somehow go ahead?) We could be left with a wafer thin squad which in turn could seriously affect our slim chances of promotion. Anyway, Akwasi produced many magnificent moments here and although I am quite disappointed, he parts on very good terms. Good luck for the rest of your career Akwasi!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th July 2020 - 01:56 AM