Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Mar 6 2020, 03:41 PM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

Our first away game in five (5) weeks takes place tomorrow as we make the journey to Yorkshire to take on Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC away where we really have to win. These are the type of fixtures that have caused upsets in the past, so we simply need to shake this mentality off and screw our heads together, as anything other than a win would be embarrassing. We got a great result on Tuesday, but it is our league form that is more important as we need to put our last league game against Brackley Town behind us.

Our last match was on Tuesday night as we beat Tranmere Rovers 1-0 at home in the Cheshire Senior Cup Quarter Final in what was a great workout for us. We were on top in the first period as we were very organised in defence, and passed the ball around nicely against a strong Tranmere side. Our early pressure was rewarded near the midpoint, as Stuart Crilly got tripped up to give us a penalty. Danny Elliott cooly slotted home on his return to make it 1-0 to us. Meanwhile, the second half was a bit quieter as chances died down for both teams. Tranmere had more possession, but our well-drilled defence did their homework to limit them. They never got past us which earned us a deserved clean sheet and a place in the next round.

Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC have endured a turbulent season so far as they have spent the entirety of it in the relegation zone, and the vast majority of it bottom. Avenue are all but relegated as they sit 15 points adrift of Gloucester City, and given they have only won a few matches all season, it’s highly unlikely that they will put a strong run of wins together to pull off a miracle. Our opponents are on their second manager of the season as Garry Thompson was sacked just TWO matches into the new campaign. Granted, they were both 5-0 defeats, but he still should have been given more time. Mark Bower rejoined Avenue in September to arrest their dismal start, but even he hasn’t improved Bradford following the excellent job he did in his first stint.

By the time of play tomorrow it would have been two weeks since our last league game, so hopefully we have worked on one or two things to stop another calamity. It is a big day for us and the top seven tomorrow, as we need maximum points to stay in the play-offs. Lose then we could slip out for the first time in a while, but I think we should have enough quality to win the game. It will be a difficult pitch to play on, but it will be for Bradford as well so we cannot make a single excuse. It isn’t a great ground but I just cannot wait as it has been ages since we last had an away game. We may well make up near half of the attendance as Bradford have been getting crowds of just over 200 lately, which is sad to see. Come On City!

Score: Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC 0-2 Chester FC (Waring, K.Roberts)

Attendance: 530 (218 Chester FC)

My predicted lineup:
Gray
K.Roberts Livesey Grand Waters
Jackson Stopforth Glendon Johnston
Waring Elliott

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Mar 6 2020, 11:12 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/ZQPNnL721wM
Includes our news from the past few days, the action from our last meeting with Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC, plus much more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Mar 7 2020, 11:01 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

Today is one of those rare days where I feel embarrassed to support my club. I know I shouldn’t as I am proud to be a blue, but we haven’t half thrown up a few howlers lately. To perform in the way we did is simply unforgivable as we never got going at all, and we got what we deserved because we didn’t know what to do. Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC weren’t particularly a good side, but they did the basics right which is a minimum requirement. I always give teams who beat us credit, and today will be no different as they wanted the game more and got in our faces. For us to lose to a side who have won just four matches all season, have a goal difference of -54, and are all but relegated is absolutely unforgivable though. We only have ourselves to blame as in far too many games such as today, against Blyth Spartans, Royston Town, Curzon Ashton, etc. we have failed to perform against teams that we really should be turning over.

I should have made a visit to the local graveyard in the first half, as that would have been loads more interesting than the match itself. Understandably the blustery conditions and a quagmire of a pitch took a toll on the quality of the game, but it was just so excruciating to endure. We did absolutely nothing whatsoever, other than just wallop the ball to wherever we liked, which was mostly to the corner flag. Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC started off as the more brighter, as they were constantly in our half to put us under the cosh. We just gifted them it though as we didn’t have the awareness to close them down, or the cleverness to string a few passes together on the ground. Despite a rocky start we should have easily made it 1-0, and I am still scratching my head about it now. John Johnston was clean through on goal with only Joe Green to beat, but instead of leathering the ball at goal or squaring it to Danny Elliott, guess what he did? Oh yes, pass the ball to Green! At the other end Louis Gray pulled off his first stop, by preventing Billy Priestley, whilst Elliott then slotted wide for us. Tom Clare was then denied by Gray who made a solid block with not long to go before the break. With four minutes to go Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC made it 1-0 in bizarre fashion, as the goal was initially disallowed for what I believe was a foul on Gray. However, the referee then gave the goal as Tom Clare bundled in apparently. Simon Grand was then unable to grab an equaliser as his header was saved. An abject showing saw us deservedly trail at the interval.

The second period wasn’t much better, as we resumed our slow, sloppy play on the ball. To be fair to us we actually had a decent spell in the first ten minutes, which was rewarded as Matty Waters scored a peach of a goal directly from a corner for us to make it 1-1. We were unable to lift off from there though, as our heads surprisingly dropped to gift the hosts the game. Oli Johnson retook the lead to make it 2-1 to Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC in comical circumstances, as he nodded in from a long throw with nobody challenging him. Our lackadaisicalness in possession continued to show as we were so lazy by constantly giving the ball away. Akwasi Asante had more than a good chance to get us a second equaliser, but he blasted over, whilst Gary Roberts then missed the target from a free kick. George Waring then headed wide with time ticking. Despite the small amount of chances we had late on, we were unable to muster an undeserved late equaliser.

The only player who was decent for us today was Matty Waters who didn’t have a bad game in place of Joel Taylor. He of course netted a brilliant goal from the corner spot, so it’s just a shame we never picked up from there. However, the 10 others underperformed massively. Simon Grand had his worst game in a while because he was very nervy on the ball (which is rare for him), and slipped up a couple of times where on a different day another team would punish him. Our midfielders were really disappointing because to be fair I thought our managers made the correct decision in starting Gary Stopforth and Gary Roberts. It’s very unfortunate that Stopforth went off early on which obviously did hinder us, but we still should have got stuck in more and stayed with the flow of the game. Scott Burton (who was comically named as Akwasi Asante by the PA guy) was unlikely to improve us, and he didn’t as he continued his very inconsistent run. It’s quite hard to judge Louis Gray today because to his credit he pulled off a couple of smart stops, although he did play a part in both of the goals. The first one was a bit unclear so I will have to watch the highlights back to make a conclusion, but he certainly should have come off his line for the second. It was very much like Brackley Town’s second goal the other week. Our forwards didn’t step up to the plate again and were not in the game. The goals have dried up a lot lately so they need to get their heads in the game.

I am firmly in the Bern and Jonno ‘in’ camp, but they haven’t half made things hard for themselves lately regarding team selections etc. They got the midfield selection right, but they really should have started George Waring as he is the type of target man we need against physical teams like Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC. A lack of desire has also been evident recently, because a few of our players in particular haven’t looked bothered or shown any commitment, which is the bare minimum. We don’t have a George Horan-type leader either to inspire us, so I really hope our players got a good rollicking today to fire them up, as our confidence taken another halt. Our next match is on Saturday as we host Boston United at home in what will be an interesting one. We usually look pretty comfortable at home, but with Boston being so high up this will be a stinger to immediately get a performance out of. I hope we play like we did against Southport and Darlington etc., but I’m also worried about us having another Brackley Town. You just don’t know what Chester side will turn up, so we will have to wait and see in this soap opera of a club...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Mar 8 2020, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/SqOgsJaM1m8

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2020 - 09:47 PM