Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Feb 21 2020, 01:14 PM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

After a hectic Tuesday night we are back at the 1885 Arena once again tomorrow, as we host Brackley Town at home where we look to record our third consecutive win. Our last gasp victory against promotion rivals King’s Lynn Town will give us a great deal of confidence and motivation, which has been helped by the long term security of Joel Taylor earlier on today. I gave up on automatic promotion a couple of months ago, but we could still be in it with us only being six points away from 1st place. It only takes a few slip-ups for things to turn on its head, and with King’s Lynn having a wobble and us rediscovering our form, the title race could be an interesting one.

Our last match was on Tuesday night as we beat King’s Lynn Town 3-2 at home in what was an extraordinary encounter. Unfortunately I couldn’t make it so can’t comment on our performance, but it looked like we were on top in the first period. Despite that though, it was King’s Lynn Town who made it 1-0 as Ross Barrows slid in, albeit in an offside position. The visitors weren’t in front for long though, as Rory McAuley scored an own goal for us which made it 1-1. Meanwhile, the second half seemed to be more eventful with more goals and even a dismissal. King’s Lynn Town retook the lead just after the hour mark, as Chris Henderson found the bottom corner on the edge of the box. Anthony Dudley found a way to put us on level terms for the second time, as he dinked the ball over the opposing ‘keeper to make it 2-2. There was then a bit of drama in the technical area as Anthony Johnson got sent off for us due to arguing with the referee. That did not affect us, as deep into added time Simon Grand netted a dramatic late winner to make it 3-2 to us, as he tapped home following John Johnston’s initial hit that was parried out. What a way to end an incredible clash.

Brackley Town will be making the venture from Northamptonshire having performed really well once again this season. The Saints started off rather slowly, but they have overcame that to sneak into the play-offs, and they even went above us at one stage recently. Brackley have always been one of the better sides in this division, so it comes to no surprise to see where they are, even though they aren’t a well-known name. We have already played our opponents twice this season - both away - and we have fared well against them as we picked up a valuable point in the league, before progressing in the FA Trophy just a couple of weeks later. We have never lost against Brackley either in the six affairs we have had with each other, so hopefully we will carry on that good omen. One former blue will be returning to the Deva, and that is left back Shepherd Murombedzi who had a brief spell here in the 2017-18 season. Since leaving us at the back end of that campaign he has been a regular fixture for Brackley, where he has been up against us a handful of times.

In quite typical fashion Tuesday’s game was the only one I have missed all season and turned out to be one of the best ones, so I hope that tomorrow will make up for it now that I am back from London. Without a doubt this is yet another massive match, and another three points will cap-off a tremendous few days as not only would we be taking points off our promotion rivals, but we would also be strengthening our chances of finishing in the top three. Come On City!

Score: Chester FC (Asante) 1-0 Brackley Town

Attendance: 1,963 (38 Brackley Town)

My predicted lineup:
Griffiths
K.Roberts Livesey Grand Taylor
Jackson G.Roberts Glendon Johnston
Dudley Asante

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Feb 22 2020, 12:02 AM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/BVnUxW7L27Y
Includes the latest blues news, all of the drama from Tuesday night, plus a great deal more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3mm
post Feb 22 2020, 09:55 PM
Post #3

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

Overall they deserved to win, got no complaints, but then again, you don't always get what you deserve, and we should have defended their third goal much better. Personally, I blame the keeper who should have either made it clear he was going out to smother the ball as Matty was shielding it, or shouted "AWAY" for Matty to put it out for a corner/throw-in. Is it better to concede a corner or a goal? You could argue Matty should have taken control and just thumped it out, which was probably the safest option, but he's young and still learning.

This last week we'd have been much better off losing to King's Lynn and beating Brackley. We always seem to get it wrong... wink.gif

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Feb 22 2020, 11:18 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

Another case of one step forward and two steps back, as Tuesday’s hard work was undone by a meagre showing this afternoon. We just can’t seem to string a few decent results together, which has been our real downfall lately as we have consistently been inconsistent. For a game that produced five goals it certainly didn’t feel entertaining, and to be fair the majority of the goals were very soft and preventable on both counts. I’ll give it to Brackley Town. They did their homework on us as they were a well-organised side who were tough to break down. We did gift them all three goals and did make it a tad too easy for them, but we simply cannot complain about this result at all. I am just so frustrated with us because I know that we can perform to the max like we did on Tuesday which quite rightly brought an ounce of goodness back, but that has faded away as today’s dismal show has taken the gloss out of it.

The first half was a really quiet affair, as I can only recall us having one chance which was a drastic one by Scott Burton. It was not a pretty one to endure, as the ball spent most of its time in the air, which is a major disappointment from today. We play much better with our quick intensity on the floor, but this afternoon we reverted to hoof ball which predictably did not work. Our midfield lacked any bite as they failed to control the game, and they backed away from tackles. They were slow and sloppy in possession too, whilst our distribution from defence was very inconsistent. Brackley Town had the first chance of the contest as Russ Griffiths had to beat away a Matt Lowe attempt. It took a while for the next key moment to arrive, as just after the half hour mark Dan Holman made it 1-0 to Brackley Town. It looked to me that Griffiths parried the ball out, which saw Holman gobble up the rebound by chipping in. Just before the interval our first chance of the half came, and it was a terrible one as a skewed hit by Burton was that bad it almost went out for a throw in - cue jeers from the Harry Mac. We had plenty of work to do going into the second half as we failed to get going in the first.

To be fair the second period was a lot more lively, and I admit that we did come out as an improved side. I’d say that for the first 20 minutes we were on top as we had more of the ball which allowed us to create more openings. We did rue a number of chances so to some extent we should have taken them, although to another we lacked ideas in defence as we were so fragile. Just a few seconds into the half Kevin Roberts blasted a powerful shot millimetres wide from long range. Our bright start continued as Brad Jackson fired over, whilst John Johnston smashed one wide from the left hand side. At the other end though our opponents almost doubled their tally as Shane Byrne side-footed past the post. We went on a rapid counter attack after that as good work by Anthony Dudley found Jackson who slotted past the target. Our improved start paid dividends as right on the hour mark James Jones tapped home from a George Glendon corner for us to make it 1-1, with him scoring his third goal in a month. Brad Jackson had yet another opportunity for us, and he was unlucky to not have put us in the lead as a powerful volley was straight at Danny Lewis. We received another sucker punch though, as an unmarked Thierry Audel headed in from a corner to make it 2-1 to Brackley Town. It’s been the story of the past few weeks as once again we failed to clear our lines, with the Frenchman netting a free header. Despite being a goal down we surprisingly brought defender Danny Livesey on, although to his credit he did put us back on level terms to make it 2-2. It was a fluke goal as the long punt downfield by Russ Griffiths was heavily assisted by the wind, which saw Livesey loop a header into the net. It looked like that was that, but it wasn’t as just like Tuesday night there was injury time drama. This time it was for the wrong reasons, as Matt Lowe made it 3-2 to Brackley Town following a miscommunication between Matty Waters and Russ Griffiths. Both have their fair share of the blame in my view because although Waters did well to shield the ball he should have just simply booted it away, whilst Russ should have came off his line. In the nick of time Livesey almost notched another equaliser as he headed onto the roof of the net. We got what we deserved, despite us going close to snatching a point.

It obviously wasn’t a game that produced top drawer displays, with the majority of our team underperforming miserably. Danny Livesey is my man of the match because he made an impact in his short cameo, as he was a lot more committed than everyone else and popped up with a goal. On the flip side, Russ Griffiths had a shocker and was at fault for all three goals. For the first he should have held on to the ball, for the second he should have claimed the corner or instructed his defence to do so, and obviously for the third he needed to come out to the ball. After a rocky start to the season he had a very strong spell between November and January, but in games such as today and at York City, he has returned to making bad errors. Meanwhile, Scott Burton was very poor because he was slow on the ball, made awkward passes (which isn’t helped by the fact he only uses one foot), and in my view he should have been taken off a lot earlier. Matty Waters has certainly had better games, and although he wasn’t good enough today he should have started, as Joel Taylor was still struggling from Tuesday. John Johnston continued his unsettled start because he often overdid things and ran into dead ends without any support, and backed away from tackles on the odd occasion.

Today’s only positive has to be the brilliant atmosphere created in the Harry Mac. If only we could recreate that every week, as our home atmosphere has been very hit and miss this season. It felt like the old days today, and if smaller clubs like Kettering Town and Southport (for example) can create an atmosphere then surely we can, so hopefully it will be the norm from now on. Our next match is against Gateshead at home next Saturday in what will be our fourth consecutive home game. Just like today it will be another toughie, and given our dim record against The Heed we won’t be in for an easy afternoon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Feb 23 2020, 05:20 PM
Post #5

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/JnI5xMzYCvw

--------------------

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Feb 25 2020, 02:48 PM
Post #6

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 5404

QUOTE (Rio Doherty @ Feb 23 2020, 06:20 PM) *

typical chester

+Quote Post
3mm
post Feb 25 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #7

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Feb 25 2020, 02:48 PM) *
typical chester

Where've you been? guiness.gif

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2020 - 09:23 PM