Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Dec 20 2019, 07:47 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

We kick-off a busy festive period tomorrow as we host AFC Telford United at home where we look to record back-to-back wins. Due to the visitors stuttering of late they will be wanting to put things right, so this won’t be straightforward for us. However, if we want to kick-start our league form then we must win this as we have a couple of tough games over Christmas.

Our last match was on Tuesday night where we beat Hednesford Town 2-1 at home in the Buildbase FA Trophy 1st Round Replay where we finally finished the tie off. Our first half performance was very comfortable, and Brad Jackson made it 1-0 to us as he smashed home at the back post. Then, Akwasi Asante made it 2-0 to us as he got on the end of a fine Danny Elliott cross to loop a header in. The second period wasn’t as enjoyable as the first because our opponents pressurised us, and just five minutes in Danny Glover scored for Hednesford Town to make it 2-1 by smashing in. We survived a huge scare not long after that as an effort by ex-Wrexham man James Hurst cannoned off the post. The visitors tried to muster an equaliser, but in the end our strong first half performance got us over the line.

AFC Telford United will be making the journey from Shropshire having endured a poor season so far. The Bucks have been one of the biggest underachievers thus far in my eyes, as they should be doing a lot better with the squad they have. Manager Gavin Cowan is under a lot of pressure, and even more so as he was booed off after Telford’s humiliating 5-0 home defeat against Leamington on Tuesday night. When we beat them 3-1 back in September I noticed that Telford didn’t look as effective as they were last season. Of course we outplayed them, but The Bucks just weren’t up for the contest from the start. In general we have quite a good record against tomorrow’s opponents as we have won five out of the eight meetings we have had, so hopefully we will extend our strong record tomorrow.

The visitors will certainly be seeking for a reaction, but given things aren’t quite rosy there at the moment we have a great opportunity to get the win. It has been a while since we performed well for the entire 90 minutes, so with a decent crowd expected then we need to deliver. If we can replicate our first half display from Tuesday for the whole match, then we have a good chance of recording our first league win since the end of November. Up The Seals!

Score: Chester FC (Asante, Taylor) 2-1 AFC Telford United (Williams)

Attendance: 1,951 (176 AFC Telford United)

My predicted lineup:
Griffiths
Morgan Livesey Grand Taylor
Jackson Glendon Stopforth Ngwatala
Dudley Asante

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 21 2019, 03:27 AM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/sQHRu30cHl4
Includes our head-to-head record against AFC Telford United, the action from Tuesday night, plus plenty more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hughie Rydens ba...
post Dec 21 2019, 10:33 AM
Post #3

1st team regular

Member No.: 1218

Chester 2 Telford 1 Dudley and Asante to score .crowd 1748.

+Quote Post
3mm
post Dec 21 2019, 09:40 PM
Post #4

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

Telford came for a point and got one. We hit the post, hit the bar etc etc, and if one had gone in, fine, but none did. I think everyone left the ground feeling disappointed.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 21 2019, 10:22 PM
Post #5

Rio Doherty

This afternoon has just been the story of the last few weeks - so frustrating! We can have as much of the possession as we like, but if we just keep passing it sideways in the middle then we will fail to create openings, and today showed. We have only found the net twice in our last four matches which is concerning as we have lost our spark in the final third, and that needs rediscovering quickly. Just like at Darlington and Hednesford Town in the second half, we had enough chances to win the game by a couple of goals but as Jonno said, our strikers really need to step up. AFC Telford United were a stubborn side who clearly set themselves up to play for the draw. Their gameplan worked so I am sure that they will be pleased with the result, although they weren’t particularly a great side. On a side note, the referee seemed to be card-happy and got a lot of decisions wrong for us, and Telford don’t seem to be happy with him either.

The first period was a boring affair as there were barely any chances on show at all. It was quite an evenly matched encounter as the visitors looked a bit dangerous on the attack, especially Matty Stenson who was a tricky player. We had a lot of possession too, but we struggled to get past Telford’s defence who frustrated us. Another gripe was that we were very slow on the ball and pedestrianised, which is what people around me on the Harry Mac were saying. We have lacked our spark from the early stages of the season for a few weeks now, and that needs re-injecting into our side very soon. The first chance of the game went to Ryan Barnett who brought himself forward, but Russ Griffiths had to guide the ball away. To describe how drab this period was, our first attempt came just under half an hour in as an Akwasi Asante free kick took a wicked deflection to cause Matt Yates little issues. Asante was involved again a few moments later as he headed over from a Joel Taylor corner. Other than a few bookings, nothing else really happened in what was an uninspiring first period.

Let’s face it, it would take something for the second half to be worse than the first, and in that respect I thought it was a lot livelier. On the ball we were involved a lot more, but that was mostly in the central areas as we were frustrating in the more dangerous areas. We lacked that killer final ball because on a lot of occasions we were unable to thread it through to the right positions which was our major frustration. Despite our dominance on the ball, it took a while for us to get our first shot as a Gary Roberts free kick near the edge of the box sailed wide some 20 minutes into the half. Moments after coming on, George Waring was a lick of paint away from breaking the deadlock as an effort by him scuffed the post. Akwasi Asante hasn’t been as prolific in front of goal in recent times, and his opportunity with 20 minutes to go summed it up as his shot went miles wide. Akwasi went closer five minutes later though as he did manage to hit the target, but unfortunately his volley was straight at Matt Yates. Once again, on the 80th minute mark this time, Asante squandered another golden chance as he failed to convert past Telford’s custodian again. We really began to feel that it wasn’t our day as the referee robbed us of a penalty when Theo Streete brought Asante down, because instead of pointing to the spot he actually booked him for simulation in what was a bizarre call. Waring went close again with minutes to go, as a header by him glanced past the target. Towards stoppage time we had yet another perfect chance to grab a winner, but to wrap an irritating afternoon up Simon Grand smashed the ball against the crossbar. In added time Ryan Barnett got sent off for AFC Telford United after receiving his second yellow card, but even that couldn’t help us. Our last attempt to salvage a win went to Jamie Morgan who powered a volley straight at Telford’s ‘keeper, Yates. We have had too many of ‘one of those days’ lately, and we are to blame for not converting our chances in crucial moments, which is why we did not get the result we dearly needed.

I will go for Danny Livesey as my man of the match today as he made some good clearances and won a lot of headers. Jamie Morgan was good when he came on as he offered us more on the left hand side (which isn’t his usual position, so kudos to him). He had a couple of chances too and seemed to be the impact player that we needed at the time - probably just a bit too late in my view. George Glendon performed quite decently, but his only downfall in my opinion is that he often overdo’s things and runs with the ball longer than he should do. He is still a very good player though, and I genuinely am baffled that he is one of our main scapegoats now. Gary Roberts though had an afternoon to forget as he gave the ball away quite often, and wasn’t as good as he was last week. Our strikers underperformed in front of goal which has been a regular theme recently. There is no doubt that they know how to find the target, but they have been presented with so many good chances lately that simply have to be taken, at any level!

We move on to Christmas now as our next match is away at Southport on Boxing Day. That will be a really tough game for us, and even more so as they have gone above us today alongside Brackley Town. We need to address this quickly as if we don’t rediscover our form from earlier on, then we could be in danger of slipping out of the play-offs which would be a calamity. Southport have usually been in mid table when we have played them in recent seasons, but now they are close to the top so they will be a different beast this time out. Anyway, Merry Christmas fellow blues and see you on the Lancashire Coast on Boxing Day!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 22 2019, 09:43 PM
Post #6

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/w8KCy-qGg6Y

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2020 - 12:40 AM