Total Votes: 2
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Sep 20 2019, 06:54 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

The road to Wembley opens tomorrow as we will host Altrincham at home in the Emirates FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round where we look to win 3-1 for the fourth time in a row. Some of our exits in recent times have been embarrassing (including our 1-0 away defeat against tomorrow’s visitors in 2015), although we are capable of starting off a new chapter tomorrow. On the financial side of things it is essential we win this one as the winners will pocket £6,750, whilst there should be a healthy attendance which will boost our coffers even more.

We have been dealt with a huge selection headache in the right back department, as all 3 of our right backs are unavailable. Kevin Roberts is still injured, Jamie Morgan will have to miss the first of 3 matches, and just when we thought we had a solution, it was revealed yesterday that Matty Thomson is now injured too. I’m gutted for Matty as this would have been his chance to shine, but the dynamic duo will have a lot to ponder. I wouldn’t mind if Matty Waters slotted in there as he has been comfortable enough on the left, but on the other hand Gary Roberts could do a job as he used to play right back at Bangor City. It would also give him some valuable game time as he is struggling to get into our starting XI at the moment.

Altrincham will be making the journey from Greater Manchester currently enduring a stuttering start to the season. When we played them a few weeks ago I thought they weren’t as good a side as they were last season, and their league position justifies that. Alty’s away form in particular has been poor as they got thrashed 5-0 at Boston United, lost 2-1 at Southport, and last weekend they got beat 2-0 by an inconsistent Kidderminster Harriers outfit. At home they have been much better as they got revenge for the Boston result by doing the same to Leamington (a 5-0 win), and they have also triumphed against high-flying Farsley Celtic. We have been formidable at home, so let’s hope that we will add to Altrincham’s away woes by recording our 5th home win. There will be two former blues making a return tomorrow, who are Tony Thompson and Tom Peers. Goalkeeper Thompson wasn’t involved a few weeks ago as he was second choice to Steven Drench, but who knows whether he will be involved tomorrow. He had a spell here in 2016 where he made 12 appearances. Meanwhile, striker Peers graduated through our Academy back in 2013, and is most notable for scoring in our dramatic 2-1 injury time win away at Macclesfield Town in 2015. Tom netted in Altrincham’s 5-0 win against Leamington earlier on this month, so could be a threat tomorrow.

Since we last played against tomorrow’s opponents we have come on so much, hence they shouldn’t be looking forward to coming here. At home our performances have been immense as we have been scoring goals for fun, whilst we have been really solid at the back. Throughout the season our atmosphere has been electric both home and away, which is why we must maintain it tomorrow to make it a proper cup tie. They have been allocated the Intilery Stand (as well as the usual corner in the West Stand), so it will be interesting to see how many they bring. For once Chester, let’s go on a proper cup run and earn a few bob along the way. I am confident that we have a group of players who will definitely give it their all. #EMBRACETHESH*TNESS!!! Up The Seals!

Score: Chester FC (Waring, Taylor) 2-0 Altrincham

Attendance: 1,763 (326 Altrincham)

My predicted lineup:
Griffiths
G.Roberts Livesey Grand Taylor
Jackson Burton Glendon
Dudley Asante Hughes

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Sep 20 2019, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/iNqrcv_g5Mc
Includes the latest blues news, what happened the last time we met with Altrincham, plus much more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Sep 21 2019, 07:17 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

In my honest opinion we were lucky to come away with a draw today as Altrincham dominated the game. Their style of play was better than a few week’s ago, although they still managed to bring their antics along again. Thankfully the ref listened to our supporters at the far end of the Harry Mac who were disgruntled with their corner taker, because if he hadn’t have gone over then their player would have continued to place the ball outside the spot (just like last time). Also, it was particularly childish of Altrincham’s fans to shout ‘’cheat, cheat cheat’’, and do the ‘Wimbledon clap’ towards Russ Griffiths who was covered in blood. I don’t really mind Altrincham, but it’s pretty sad that they are trying to create a rivalry with us. It was a very bizarre game though, as the second half was very stop-start with all of the stoppages. A replay is not ideal for either side as Alty will be wondering how they didn’t put the game to bed, whilst we never do well at that place and some of our players picked up knocks today. At least we are still in the hat, and we would have lost if this was played last season.

The first period was a quiet spectacle as there was little goalmouth action. Altrincham had plenty of possession, but we had plenty of men behind the ball to stop them from taking chances. Before that though we got off to a lightning quick start as Matty Hughes made it 1-0 to us after just 2 minutes. It was a nice team goal as we played some good stuff beforehand, then Hughes scored a nice finish into the bottom corner. After that though things died down as we sat back a lot. We should have been more careful in possession as we rushed the ball down instead of playing it out from the back. Altrincham stretched us out and we struggled to keep up with them as they moved the ball around very quickly. They had a couple of chances before the break as Russ Griffiths pushed a corner off the line, whilst Jordan Hulme struck wide a few moments later. Our opponents were dangerous, but thankfully that wasn’t enough as we still went into the interval ahead.

I thought the second half was a really weird spectacle as there was a lot of drama. In general Altrincham still dominated, but we did have a few spells which made for a tense end-to-end finale. Akwasi Asante had a great chance to double our lead early doors, but his shot was straight at Tony Thompson. At the other end Jake Moult headed over from a corner which gave us a let-off. On the hour mark there was a lot of confusion as Russ Griffiths had to leave the pitch due to him being covered in blood. Theo Roberts wouldn’t have been able to replace him as he was cup-tied, so there was a long 10 minute delay as we had to wait for Russ to get stitched-up. At last he came back on, but just a few minutes later John Johnston went down for the visitors which caused another delay. The contest started to become lively as we had some nice spells. An Anthony Dudley header forced an easy save out of Thompson, but at the other end the inevitable happened as Altrincham found the equaliser. From our point of view it was a poor goal to concede, as Josh Hancock netted a free header to make it 1-1. Altrincham’s custodian was forced into another save as he shut-out Danny Livesey’s header, and we came alive in the last 10 minutes as we had two great chances to find the winner. Firstly, Brad Jackson’s effort curled wide of the left hand post, before a Matty Waters chance whistled wide of the target. The referee finally blew his whistle long after 17:00 to draw part one of this tie to a close.

There weren’t many good performances today, but I’d say my man of the match is Danny Livesey who won a lot of headers and aerial duels - despite wearing a bandage for most of the game. Brad Jackson was much more lively in the second half, and a lot of our attacks started off with him as he was up for it. Aside from that though there weren’t many standout displays. Despite having to play most of the second half with an injury, Russ Griffiths wasn’t really at it today as he failed to come off his line for the corners. Also, he should have punched the cross away for Alty’s equaliser, and that has been a theme in recent matches as we have conceded a few too many free headers. Our midfield struggled in the first half as Altrincham zipped the ball around us, although the addition of Iwan Murray gave us more freedom in the second half. I felt sorry for our forwards as they struggled to receive any service today, and that was down to our lack of midfield creativity. We can’t win every week, and going forward we will be absolutely fine.

Our next match is against Altrincham on Tuesday which isn’t great news for us. A replay is by no means ideal, and to be honest I don’t have the greatest of feelings as we rarely do well at Moss Lane. Scott Burton and Joel Taylor all picked up knocks today so they might not be risked on Tuesday. Hopefully Russ will be okay because we won’t have a goalkeeper if he misses out either. I booked the coach after the game and hope that we turn up against Alty for a change.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Sep 22 2019, 11:25 AM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/H9qf4-jBppc

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2019 - 02:31 AM