Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Sep 6 2019, 07:02 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

On the back of two consecutive away games we return to the Deva tomorrow as we will entertain Guiseley at home where we look to continue our fantastic home form. Due to the farcical circumstances at Spennymoor Town Danny Livesey will be forced to miss out on this one, which will mean that there will have to be a re-shuffle in defence. In general this will be a tricky encounter as Guiseley have been one of the surprise packages so far, but we have shown what we are all about against a number of the top sides already so I am confident we will follow suit.

Back on Monday we came away from Curzon Ashton with an emphatic 3-1 win which put us back on track. In the first period we were all over the place as we invited a lot of pressure from the hosts, and were lucky to be level at the break. A Matty Hughes tap-in after just 5 minutes got us off to an excellent start, but the hosts scored a free header to cancel us out. Our second half display was much better as we were a lot more ambitious, and if we had taken our chances we would have won by 6 or 7. Just seconds into the half Akwasi Asante put us back ahead as he found the net following great work by Brad Jackson, then Kevin Roberts sealed the deal by heading home his first goal since his return.

Guiseley will be making the venture from Yorkshire looking to extend their unexpected start to the season. They currently sit in a comfortable play-off position with 5 wins in 9 games, and managed to held high-flying York City to a goalless draw in midweek. A particular player to look out for is Aaron Martin who has scored 10 goals already following his arrival from Brighouse Town in the Summer. There will be a former blue making a return tomorrow, and that is Marcus Bignot who makes up half of the Guiseley management team. Marcus was Jon McCarthy’s successor in the 2017-18 season, and in my personal opinion I think that he was dealt a bad hand. He had his hands tied back, got sacked in embarrassing fashion, and I would have trusted him to stay on and rebuild us in the National League North (as he got Solihull Moors promoted). Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, and since then Bern and Jonno have come in and are doing an excellent job so long may it continue. Just a few days ago Marcus was appointed as a coach for England Under-18’s, although he will be staying at Guiseley (a bit similar to Steve Burr balancing his role as manager here and his job with England C).

Tomorrow’s match is going to be huge as we look to continue our fantastic start. We need everyone down at the Deva as there is no Premier League dross this weekend, we won our last home match in front of 2,100+ home supporters, and we followed that up with another win on Monday. I’m starting to sense that more ‘’stay-away’’ supporters are getting hooked now which is what we need as our players need all of the support they deserve. Our atmosphere so far has been fantastic home and away, so hopefully we will record another big result tomorrow. Come On You Blues!

Score: Chester FC (Asante, Dudley) 2-1 Guiseley (Martin)

Attendance: 2,031 (54 Guiseley)

My predicted lineup:
Griffiths
K.Roberts Jones Grand Taylor
Jackson Burton Glendon
Dudley Asante Hughes

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Sep 7 2019, 06:07 AM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/Phq-N44-VeM
Includes our head-to-head record against Guiseley (contains a few too many 1-1 draws for my liking), what happened last time out, key player to watch out for, plus a plethora more.

This post has been edited by Rio Doherty: Sep 7 2019, 06:15 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Sep 7 2019, 09:53 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

I may as well copy and paste my reports every week as we are getting better and better. Today we were fabulous once again as we put on a dominant showing to see off a Guiseley side who were really dirty. I can recall their bench going into uproar on a few occasions in January when decisions went against them, so it’s a nice feeling to have as we got the better of them this time. We could have won by a few more if we had buried some of our other chances, but I am not going to complain as we are really putting out a big statement. We are scoring loads of goals, at the other end we are tight at the back, and our general style of play is so refreshing to watch week in week out.

Our first half showing was excellent as we controlled the encounter to fend off Guiseley. One thing I have noticed is that we have a nice habit of scoring very early on (look at Gloucester City and Curzon Ashton for example), and we followed suit once again today as Akwasi Asante made it 1-0. In what was a very similar goal to the one he scored at Curzon, Brad Jackson played a lovely ball in towards Asante who scored from close range. Our dominance prevailed as we had a number of chances, with George Glendon’s free kick going just over. Joel Taylor went close just after as a powerful attempt flashed wide of the right hand post, before Akwasi Asante was so close to notching home his second as his effort smacked the post. Just after the half hour mark though we were awarded a penalty as Jamie Morgan was bundled over. Asante cooly slotted home his 3rd penalty to make it 2-0, whilst that was also his 8th goal of the season. The man is on fire as he is averaging a goal every 43 minutes which is staggering. James Jones went close for us just before the break as a header was cleared off the line, but at that stage we were looking very comfortable. Guiseley didn’t cause us any problems in the first half, hence we went into the break cruising.

The second half was very stop-start as Guiseley made a series of awful tackles on a regular basis which took away the flow of the game. They were quite a slow team in general, but The Lions did have a lot of big lads who irritated us. Aside from that though we did well to break them down whenever we could, as Brad Jackson and Jamie Morgan in particular were both brilliant in getting past a slow Guiseley backline. The opening attack of the half went to the visitors as Aaron Martin headed over from a corner. At the other end Akwasi Asante was searching for his hat trick, although a free kick by him forced Lloyd Allinson to make a decent low save. We received a huge let-off as Guiseley went ever so close to getting back into the game. Scott Garner somehow skied the ball over from about 5 yards on the back of some messy defending. It was a terrible miss for them, and at the other end we missed a sitter of our own as Brad Jackson scuffed a shot wide following some nice work from Jamie Morgan. Not long after, George Glendon curled an attempt towards the wrong side of the post. Just a few minutes later we made it 3-0 as Guiseley gave Anthony Dudley a nice ‘thank you’ present for what he did in his spell there a few years ago. Their throw-in was launched towards the centre of the pitch, but Dudley was quickest to react which saw him easily slot home when one-on-one with Allinson. For the final 15 minutes the visitors had a few spells in their quest to get back into the game. Aaron Martin scored a free header to make it 3-1, although it was only a consolation. It was a bit disappointing to see us not keep a clean sheet as I thought that our defence stood firm throughout the game, and kept Martin quiet up until that point. Despite Guiseley pressurising us, we had a mass of chances at the other end before time. Firstly, a George Waring header forced Guiseley's custodian to turn the ball behind, before Jamie Morgan brought another impressive save out of Allinson. Anthony Dudley was very close to getting a brace as his goal-bound hit forced Allinson to make a strong stop again. Overall we were very comfortable this afternoon, hence we came home with another excellent victory.

Really difficult to pick my man of the match for today. I will opt for Joel Taylor who was dynamic on the left once again. He tormented Guiseley and has been one of many consistent performers for us. Scott Burton was excellent too as he is really showing his true colours now. He reminds me very much like Tom Shaw who was ineffective in his first season, but turned out to be one of our key players the year after. Hopefully Burton will continue his fantastic start. ‘’Sicknote’’ was his usual self as he delivered when it mattered, which takes his tally up to 8 already. Our strike force is sensational, and if things keep on going they will give our ‘Famous 5’ from the ‘60s a run for their money. Both James Jones and Jamie Morgan were always going to be under the limelight today, but they delivered exceptionally to keep Guiseley at bay. After the unfortunate injury to Kevin Roberts, Morgan had big shoes to fill, but he implied what he is about as he was quick on the attack and linked up with Jackson really well. Jones was excellent alongside Simon Grand as they kept Aaron Martin quiet, and made some really good challenges. Brad Jackson was superb once again as he assisted Asante in the first half, and he was even better in the second as he exposed Guiseley with his clever darts down the line. It’s so refreshing to be writing such positive reports on our players as they have been exceptional this season.

Up next is a huge game away at AFC Telford United next Saturday. After another immense result today, there is no reason why we can’t take a following in the region of 1,000. 800 is probably more realistic, but after today’s result and our decent away form thus far, 1,000 would be outstanding. Last season’s performance at Telford brings back nightmares, but hopefully things will change for the better after their stuttering start. Once again our support was second to none today, and it’s great to see our attendances slowly creeping up. At last people ARE taking notice, and long may it continue.

This post has been edited by Rio Doherty: Sep 7 2019, 10:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Sep 8 2019, 11:31 AM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/CUpq_MdB14o
Hope you enjoy.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 07:05 PM