Total Votes: 2
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Aug 26 2019, 09:36 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

We are back at the Deva today as we host Hereford FC at home where we look to record our third consecutive win. This is certainly our biggest match of the season thus far so hopefully we will record our 3rd consecutive win today. The last time we got hyped over such a fixture was when Stockport County trounced us 6-0, but since then we have assembled a team that has proved to be very hard to beat. As I said on Saturday, at the back we are looking very solid, whilst at the other end we are scoring goals which is a big plus.

On Saturday we came back from Kidderminster Harriers with an impressive 1-0 win as we performed superbly. We dominated the first half and should have been about 4 up at half time, but it was just Matty Hughes's nice finish that separated the two sides. Kidderminster were better in the second half as they gave it a go, but we remained comfortable to secure a huge result.

Hereford FC will be making the trip from Herefordshire managerless, despite sitting 4th. Marc Richards was fired after just 3 games where they won 1, drew 1, and lost 1 which is not at all bad. From what I know he should have been sacked at the end of last season (like what should have happened to Jon McCarthy) as the majority of Hereford’s fanbase had enough of him. It’s also pointless for the board to back him during the Summer and sack him just 3 games into the season when they hadn’t even started off badly. Head of football Tim Harris has stepped in as caretaker manager and has done well so far, as he is yet to lose a match. Hereford FC were reformed back in 2014 as the old Hereford United went out of business. Just like what happened when we reformed, Hereford won 3 consecutive promotions which took them to the National League North last season. A lot of their supporters were expecting another promotion push, but they had a disappointing campaign as they finished just a few places above the drop zone. Things are looking a lot brighter for them this time out though, as they sit in a strong position in the play-offs.

Our atmosphere at Kidderminster was immense and we need to emulate that today as it really does make a difference. Hereford will take a strong following with them, and due to us winning on Saturday a few more of our supporters may feel inspired to come. We have made the Deva a fortress so far so let’s continue that today. Come On City!

Score: Chester FC (Asante, Dudley) 2-1 Hereford FC

Attendance: 2,684 (726 Hereford FC)

My predicted lineup:
Griffiths
K.Roberts Livesey Grand Taylor
Jackson G.Roberts Stopforth
Dudley
Hughes Waring

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 26 2019, 09:37 AM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/23vzy17xkGU
Includes our previous encounters with Hereford, the latest blues news, plus loads more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 26 2019, 07:46 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

We played so well today my head fell off in shock 😅🙈! This was definitely our best performance in the Bern and Jonno era as it could have been a cricket score. Hereford FC were shell-shocked and just never got into the game today at all. They hadn’t got rid of their dirty antics either as they made some poor challenges in the second half and seemed to target Gary Stopforth, who hobbled off twice. Hopefully he will be fine as his engine has been a huge plus for us this season. Regardless of that though I do have sympathy for Hereford who are clearly not happy with the goings on off the pitch, and I hope they sort their issues out. The feel-good factor is certainly creeping back now as there is a real togetherness between our players and supporters, and our atmosphere was brilliant once again. Some of the chants started to filter through to the Main Stand which was great to see. It has happened a lot of times in recent years where we have failed to turn up in front of a strong home crowd, but it was so refreshing to watch us perform in front of 2,100+ home supporters which will hopefully inspire them to come back.

Our first half performance was outstanding as we played Hereford off the park. We should have been 4 up at the interval as we hit the woodwork and had other chances, but we were just scintillating. The visitors had the opening chance of the game as Bradley Ash fluffed his lines to fire well wide. Just a few moments later we went so close to taking the lead as a Gary Stopforth header hit the crossbar following good work by Matty Hughes. We didn’t let that get to us though as we continued to get into Hereford, which paid dividends as Akwasi Asante netted from close range to make it 1-0. On the 29th minute mark we made it 2-0 in what was a great team goal. Akwasi Asante did really well on the right to square it to Matty Hughes, who found Anthony Dudley who slotted home into the bottom right hand corner. Joel Taylor was unlucky to not have got on the scoresheet as a thunder strike forced Brandon Hall to make a strong stop. Bradley Ash had another chance for the visitors, but fortunately he fired over. Our first half display was excellent which saw us head into the interval with our tails up.

Once again we continued where we left off as our second half display was superb. We had plenty of possession which allowed us to create more chances, and on the 52nd minute mark we made it 3-0. Brad Jackson played in Akwasi Asante who found the net again to bag his second of the game. Matty Hughes was unlucky to not have got our 4th as his attempt was ruled out for offside. After that Anthony Dudley headed over following great play by Jackson, whilst we had a second effort flagged for offside as George Waring was the victim this time. We finally made it 4-0 just a few minutes later as Danny Elliott nodded home from a brilliant Kevin Roberts delivery to bag his first goal of the season. We didn’t sit back at all as we continued to dominate, and Jackson was unlucky to not have scored as Brandon Hall stuck his foot out to make a great one-on-one save. In the dying embers of the game Hereford had a couple of spells that called Russ Griffiths into action on two occasions. Firstly, he made a flying stop to deny Tom Owen-Evans, before he tipped a Raheem Hanley effort over. Hereford did have the ball in the net twice in the final 5 minutes with the first one being ruled out for a foul on Griffiths. The visitors got a mere consolation to make it 4-1 as Jordan Cullinane-Liburd scored a free header. Unfortunately this brought an end to our outstanding run of not conceding a goal from open play which almost lasted for 7 matches. Also, it was a bit harsh on Russ Griffiths who deserved a third consecutive clean sheet as he made some excellent stops. In the dying seconds of the match we should have made it 5 as a Brad Jackson effort was cleared off the line, before George Waring’s rebound forced a good save out of Hall. Our brilliant showing reaped its rewards once again as we extended our winning run to 3 games.

It is very hard to pick a man of the match today as every single player played so well today. I will opt for Joel Taylor who once again gave the opposition nightmares. I may as well copy and paste my take on him every week as he is yet to put in a bad shift so far, and long may it continue. Our transfer business in the full back department has proved to be very shrewd as both Taylor and Kevin Roberts have improved us so much. Roberts had another great game today as he was solid as usual, and made some good deliveries in the second half. Russ Griffiths made some top drawer saves and was unlucky to not have kept a clean sheet. Simon Grand and Danny Livesey didn’t have any troubles at all as Hereford were very inept up front. Due to Gary Roberts missing out Scott Burton was always going to be under the limelight, but he put in his best display since joining today. He passed the ball around really well, was combative, and was a great replacement for Roberts. Gary Stopforth was his usual self as he covered lots of ground and made some good passes too. I was gutted to see him hobble off and I hope that everything is okay. Hereford made some stupid tackles in the second half, and it’s fair to say they targeted Stopforth as he limped off the pitch not once, but twice. Brad Jackson was outstanding again as Hereford couldn’t keep up with his pace on the right flank, and he made some great crosses too. Akwasi Asante was back to his old self, as he found the net twice which will give him bags of confidence. He held the ball up really well and scored two good goals which takes his tally up to 4. Anthony Dudley was excellent, and I’m really pleased to see him get his first goal of the season. A lot of his work goes unnoticed but just like Akwasi, that goal will give him confidence. Finally, Matty Hughes put in another good display which bagged him an assist as he played Dudley in for our second.

At the start of the month I targeted us to pick up 15 points, but we have already done that with a game to spare. When the fixtures were released a lot of us expected this to be our toughest month, and considering we have picked up 15 points against the calibre of opponents bodes really well. We will end August with a long trip to Spennymoor Town on Saturday who have got off to a very disappointing start. I think that we are playing them just at the right time as we are full of confidence, whilst they will be scratching their heads. The atmosphere we created was second to none once again, and the togetherness is really showing. Hopefully we will take a following of 200+ up to the North East to end the month on a high. It feels SO good to be a Chester FC supporter at the moment, and long may it continue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 27 2019, 04:16 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/ywH4U0uOJPw
Enjoy.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 07:08 PM