Total Votes: 3
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Aug 5 2019, 07:34 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

We return to the Deva tomorrow after a 12 day break as we will be hosting Altrincham in our first home match of the season where we look to record more points on the board. On Saturday we started off the new season with a credible draw away at Boston United which saw us put in a strong defensive display to hold them off.

I expect this to be a very tough encounter as Altrincham play an attractive brand of football, but with them losing their first match we will be looking to add to their bad start. Our atmosphere at Boston was outstanding which we must keep up as we have to make the Deva a fortress. Last season we had one of the best home records so we need to maintain this now.

Altrincham will be making the short journey from Greater Manchester embarking their second campaign at this level following their promotion two seasons ago. They were the surprise package last campaign as they managed to reach the last four of the play-offs. Alty have a strong squad this time out and will be looking to go all the way. There will be two players making a return to the Deva tomorrow who are Tony Thompson and Tom Peers. Thompson had a spell back in 2016, but on another note he had a cup of beer thrown at him from the away end when we played Altrincham back in March, which wasn’t a great sight. Meanwhile, Peers was here from 2013-2016, and is most notable for his goal in our 2-1 away win at Macclesfield Town.

Just like we did on Saturday we need to get behind our boys as much as we can to make it as intimidating as possible for Altrincham. This will be the first of two home matches in the coming days, and on a personal note I’d be happy with 4 points or more. Let’s break that 2,000 mark and get behind our team. Come On City!

Score: Chester FC (Grand, Waring) 2-1 Altrincham
Attendance: 2,128 (409 Altrincham)

My predicted lineup:
Griffiths
K.Roberts Livesey Grand Taylor
Jackson G.Roberts Stopforth Mahon
Dudley Waring

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 6 2019, 07:52 AM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/EclcNaiGpMI
Includes all you need to know about our visitors, recent form, plus loads more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 6 2019, 10:36 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

Just like on Saturday, I thought that it was another closely-matched game tonight. On the whole it was an enjoyable watch, and we got a deserved equaliser towards the end which caused scenes. We were worthy of it as in the second half we were much more ambitious on the attack, and utilised the width really well. Altrincham were a dangerous side at times, albeit had strange tactics as they wasted a lot of time to see out the game. Also, Max Harrop in particular fell down like a pile of dominoes on a number of occasions. That aside though, they played some decent stuff and caused us problems in the first half.

Our first half display wasn’t bad, but Altrincham’s quality was a tad better than ours’. We struggled to keep up with them as there were periods where we found it hard to get the ball off them and press them. In the middle we lacked creativity again as we struggled to find the killer ball, which resulted in Simon Grand and Danny Livesey lumping the ball out wide. Danny Elliott had a chance for us early on as a shot from range was easily caught by Steven Drench. A decent start from us resulted in a set-back as we conceded another own goal. A ball from John Johnston went into the penalty area but Danny Livesey tapped it into his own net. Although Livesey is at fault, we weren’t closing Altrincham down as they had acres of space. Elliott went close for us once again as another effort was dealt with by Drench, whilst a volley from Anthony Dudley missed the target. The likes of Danny Elliott and Brad Jackson offered us a lot of pace going forward, but our lack of balls to them meant that the amount of attacks we had were of a small amount. We headed into the break with a slight set-back, although we did show glimpses of promise to take into the second period.

Our second half performance was much more effective as we utilised the width much more to stretch Altrincham out. Brad Jackson and Kevin Roberts in particular were good at this as this allowed us more space to get some crosses in. Furthermore, we were much more energetic as Anthony Dudley got involved a lot and was an outlet. Just before the hour mark we were ever so close to finding the equaliser as Dudley played in Brad Jackson whose shot was beaten away by Drench. We were in again but this time Dudley just couldn’t quite keep his composure as he rifled a shot over. Our brilliant support spurred us on as our never-say-die attitude paid its price, because deep into added time we finally found that equaliser. We didn’t deserve to come home empty handed either as we gave it a right go in the second 45. Gary Roberts lashed home an effort in front of the Harry Mac which was akin to the goal Lucas Dawson scored against Barrow - another injury time strike in front of the terrace. This earned us another point to add to our tally.

My man of the match is Anthony Dudley who was a menace in the second half. His pacy drives on the ball caused Alty a lot of problems, and he was involved in a lot of our attacks. George Waring had a great game too as he is the target man we have been crying out for in a long time. He held the ball up so many times and was a threat for Altrincham’s defenders. Brad Jackson was great going forward too as he offered us a lot of width.

It was a really enjoyable encounter tonight, and Gary Roberts ensures that we now have 2 points on the board. Considering the calibre of opposition we have played against this is not a bad start at all, as Altrincham and Boston United should be in that play-off picture. We really need to back it up with a win at home against Farsley Celtic on Saturday though. They have got off to a really impressive start - emerging from fixtures against Darlington and York City without a defeat, so we must watch out. However, our support has been superb so far in both matches which should get us over the line. We out-sung Boston, whilst we attracted over 2,000 tonight which is really promising. I overheard a woman (in her 50’s) at the end of the game say that this was her first live match as she has got bored of watching Man United on the TV (not surprised 😉). She was really enthusiastic throughout the game, and said that she will definitely be back here on Saturday. Also, the taxi driver who brought me and my dad home asked us ‘’how much is it for his 9-year-old?’’ When we said ‘’£3’’ he replied ‘’that’s very cheap’’ so he will be coming with his son for the first time on Saturday too. If we could all encourage somebody to come then we could be looking at very healthy attendances this season. There was an encouraging gate tonight so let’s maintain this throughout.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3mm
post Aug 7 2019, 12:46 AM
Post #4

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Rio Doherty @ Aug 6 2019, 11:36 PM) *
I overheard a woman (in her 50’s) at the end of the game say that this was her first live match as she has got bored of watching Man United on the TV (not surprised 😉). She was really enthusiastic throughout the game, and said that she will definitely be back here on Saturday. Also, the taxi driver who brought me and my dad home asked us ‘’how much is it for his 9-year-old?’’ When we said ‘’£3’’ he replied ‘’that’s very cheap’’ so he will be coming with his son for the first time on Saturday too. If we could all encourage somebody to come then we could be looking at very healthy attendances this season. There was an encouraging gate tonight so let’s maintain this throughout.

Good report Rio.

I've copied the last bit of your report because I was sat near two people who said (when the attendance was given out) "Well we won't be here Saturday if we lose this one". After the match and the late equaliser, as everyone was leaving I heard them say "Enjoyed that, they deserved a draw, let's come again Saturday".

It's a shame some people can't accept it's a good display without a good result, but it's encouraging to find people catching on that lower league football can be entertaining and doesn't cost too much either.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 7 2019, 11:48 AM
Post #5

Rio Doherty

QUOTE (3mm @ Aug 7 2019, 01:46 AM) *
QUOTE (Rio Doherty @ Aug 6 2019, 11:36 PM) *
I overheard a woman (in her 50’s) at the end of the game say that this was her first live match as she has got bored of watching Man United on the TV (not surprised 😉). She was really enthusiastic throughout the game, and said that she will definitely be back here on Saturday. Also, the taxi driver who brought me and my dad home asked us ‘’how much is it for his 9-year-old?’’ When we said ‘’£3’’ he replied ‘’that’s very cheap’’ so he will be coming with his son for the first time on Saturday too. If we could all encourage somebody to come then we could be looking at very healthy attendances this season. There was an encouraging gate tonight so let’s maintain this throughout.

Good report Rio.

I've copied the last bit of your report because I was sat near two people who said (when the attendance was given out) "Well we won't be here Saturday if we lose this one". After the match and the late equaliser, as everyone was leaving I heard them say "Enjoyed that, they deserved a draw, let's come again Saturday".

It's a shame some people can't accept it's a good display without a good result, but it's encouraging to find people catching on that lower league football can be entertaining and doesn't cost too much either.

I have to admit that we have a very fickle fanbase, but I’m glad that they will be coming back on Saturday. Our support so far has been very promising so hopefully we can back it up with a win on Saturday which should maintain our healthy attendances.

This post has been edited by Rio Doherty: Aug 7 2019, 11:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 7 2019, 11:50 AM
Post #6

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/OFmlcRpEmic

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2019 - 04:13 PM