Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Jul 29 2019, 10:39 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

Our penultimate friendly is tomorrow night where once again we will be heading to Greater Manchester to play FC United Of Manchester away with just 5 days to go. On Saturday we picked up a deserved 3-1 victory away at Trafford where we played some nice football on the slick surface. Not a great deal separates us and tomorrow’s opponents, so this should give us an idea of where we are at.

I’d say that our starting XI at Trafford could prove to be similar to the team we start with at Boston on Saturday. Our squad is gelling together nicely, and for once we actually have strength in depth which is what we have lacked in recent years. We still lack that cutting edge in midfield though, and Matty Hughes’ future is still yet to be decided, but other than that we have assembled a decent squad.

FC United Of Manchester play in the BetVictor Northern Premier League following their relegation from the National League North last campaign. Manager Neil Reynolds has built their squad from scratch as he has signed a number of players who have experience at step 7 level, so it will be interesting to see how they fare. I’ve always come across FC United as a bit of a strange club. Obviously they were formed back in 2005 by a group of Manchester United fans in a protest against the Glazers, but they seem to have continued the legacy a little. It made me laugh when they were singing United songs in January when they are supposed to be a different club. I admire the fact they are supporter-owned, but in general I’m just not a fan of that club. There will be a former blue up against us tomorrow evening. Rhain Hellawell signed for our opponents following his release from us, so I wish him luck (apart from tomorrow of course).

To be frank the result isn’t really the main priority tomorrow night. In my opinion, I’d just like our players to come out of this fixture unscathed so that they are fit and raring to go for Boston. Looking forward to my second visit to Broadhurst Park. Up The Seals!

Score: FC United Of Manchester 1-2 Chester FC (Dudley, Taylor)
Attendance: 658 (117 Chester FC)

My predicted lineup:
Griffiths
K.Roberts Livesey Grand Taylor
Jackson G.Roberts Stopforth Mahon
Dudley Elliott

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 30 2019, 05:17 AM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/cB5J44cyVyo
Includes key player to look out for, what happened last time out, plus plenty more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 30 2019, 09:45 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

Our only saving grace is that this was only a friendly, but we were well off the pace this evening. This certainly gives us a reality check ahead of the big kick-off as there were glimpses of last season in tonight’s display. Especially in the first half, we were very sloppy and weren’t considerate when we were in possession. I did say it a while back, but we definitely haven’t thought through our pre-season schedule properly. In total we have had 9 proper first team friendlies (with an extra 3 XI friendlies) which is over 1/4 of the entire season. For the likes of myself and a number of other fellow blues who go to all of our matches it’s great as it is non-stop football, but for our players it certainly does not help, especially due to the fact we had so many injuries last season. Also, don’t forget we still have to play 8 league matches in August.

Our first half display was very poor as FC United carved us open on a number of occasions. One thing I did notice that Bernard was stood on his own in the first half for some reason. Jonno joined him for the second period but I’m not sure what happened. Anyway, FC United made it 1-0 after the 10th minute mark as Charlie Ennis curled in an impressive free kick into the top right corner. Just a few minutes later Akwasi Asante hobbled off for us, which is a concern as it looks like he is set to miss the start of the new season due to another injury. Michael Donohue made it 2-0 to the hosts as he found the net with nobody closing him down. Our opponents continued to dictate the play as we were all at sea due to a raft of chances coming at us. They added a third to their tally as Ennis netted from a tight angle to bag his brace. In the final 10 minutes of the half we woke up a little, as Joel Taylor and Kevin Roberts started off a couple of movements. Jamie Morgan scored a mere consolation for us as he slotted home off the post. Despite that, we headed into the break with a lot of work to do.

To be honest our second half performance was a fraction better, but we still couldn’t muster anything to break down a strong FC United defence. The hosts hit the crossbar with the opening attack of the half as Chris Sharp’s curled effort almost added to our wounds. We hit the woodwork not long after ourselves as a Danny Livesey header hit the crossbar, after a George Waring attempt was cleared off the line. That was as close as we got, as FC United added a fourth to confirm their win. An unmarked Chris Doyle headed in from a corner to put further daylight between us and them. We hit the woodwork once again not long after, as a powerful Matty Waters hit struck the base of the post. We just couldn’t create anything to get back into the game, and in the end we lost against the better side.

Joel Taylor and Kevin Roberts are the only two who had decent games for us, so I will pick the former as my man of the match. He was our only player who started out attacks as just like on Saturday his pace got the better of FC United in some spells. Kev Roberts made some decent balls too and was combative in defence as he was never afraid to get stuck in. On the flip side, I have noticed over the past few games that Craig Mahon has been played in the number 10 role, which just hasn’t worked. He is far more effective on the wing where he can run at defences. I don’t want to be harsh on the lad but James Jones has been disappointing thus far, and has been a different player compared to his first spell here. A number of balls went past him tonight, and I think that he is too lightweight. Scott Burton had one to forget too, and I just don’t think it will work out for him. I’d love him to do a Tom Shaw and be a massive improvement in his second season, but I can’t see it.

For most of our players this was their last friendly tonight, although for some of our younger ones we still have to travel to Atherton Laburnum Rovers tomorrow. Over the coming days we have to rectify these issues so that they don’t occur when it really does matter. I remain faithful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 31 2019, 05:38 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/ey7g5AJuIoU

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2019 - 04:47 PM