Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Jul 19 2019, 09:31 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

We begin our hectic schedule of 5 matches in the space of a week tomorrow where we head to Lancashire to take on Colne away in what should be a good test. With tonight’s scheduled encounter against Bolton Wanderers now not going ahead, that will at least make us much more fresher for tomorrow. We are coming into this clash on the back of a credible 0-0 draw against Carlisle United on Tuesday, so hopefully we will build on it.

Once again this will be another opportunity for us to experiment different tactics against a side who play two divisions below us. We have a virtually non-stop 7 days ahead of us though as obviously tomorrow we play Colne, before travelling to 1874 Northwich on Tuesday. Then, we will be playing 3 matches in less than 48 hours as on Thursday and Friday night a Chester FC XI will be up against Bangor 1876 and Rylands respectively. Finally, on the Saturday we will travel to Trafford.

Colne play in the BetVictor Northern Premier League Division One West and had a strong campaign as they finished 4th last time out. Therefore, our opponents will be looking to go one better and get promoted this campaign. The club was founded back in 1996 due to Colne Dynamoes being refused promotion to the National League. Colne started off in the North West Counties Division Two and have achieved a number of promotions over the past two decades which has brought them to the level they are currently at. There is a slight connection between us and Colne as we signed Gary Stopforth from them last year, who has proved to be a real find.

I am looking forward to this game as this will be a new ground for me. Holt House looks nice and tidy for the level Colne play at, although due to the town being based near the Pennines there is a massive slope on the pitch which is something we must be aware of. Come On City!

Attendance: 268 (126 Chester FC)

My predicted lineup:
Griffiths
Livesey Jones Grand
Morgan G.Roberts Stopforth Mahon
Dudley
Elliott Waring

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 19 2019, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/OZk7oX9qAGc
Includes information about our opponents, their man to watch out for, plus much more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 20 2019, 04:56 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

Disappointing result this afternoon. Our performance wasn’t awful, but I was expecting a lot more from us against a side who play two divisions lower than us. To Colne’s credit I thought that they were a good side and were worthy of the victory, but we just have to be doing better. It has been mentioned a number of times on here about our lack of cutting edge and precision in the final third, and we were struggling in those aspects again today.

In the opening stages of the first half both sides played end-to-end stuff which made for a decent match. For the first 10 minutes we started off as the better side as we controlled the possession, despite us attacking up the slope. The best chance of the half fell to the hosts as ex-blue Aidan Chippendale struck his shot just a few centimetres wide of the far post. Colne were a lot more effective and dangerous than us moving forward as they moved the hall around quickly, whilst whenever we went on the attack Colne had numbers behind the ball to stave us away. We didn’t have many chances in this half, but two came in quick succession as firstly Colne’s custodian saved an Anthony Dudley effort. Then, Danny Livesey headed over following a delivery by Dudley. Colne took the lead not long before the break as Sefton Gonzales headed the ball past Russ Griffiths following an inch-perfect cross. From our point of view this was a poor goal to concede as we didn’t have many numbers back at all to challenge the goalscorer. Just before the break Simon Grand was unable to get us back into the contest as he blazed over following a free kick. We went into half time with work to do.

In all honesty we started off a lot better in the second half, but again our finishing let us down, just like it did on Tuesday. Anthony Dudley and Danny Livesey both went close to finding the target in the opening minutes, but it just wasn’t to be. We received a killer blow near the hour mark though as Tony Donaldson tapped the ball in to make it 2-0. Once again we should have been closing Colne down as they had too much space on the left hand side. Our flurry of chances continued to come though, as a Matty Waters hit went just over. It just wasn’t our afternoon as we hit the woodwork twice within a few minutes. Firstly, Danny Livesey headed the ball against the underside of the crossbar from a tight angle. Then, Jamie Morgan hit the post from just a few yards out, although he should have easily found the net from that type of range. Colne’s shot-stopper produced a superb save to cap off a frustrating day, as an Anthony Dudley volley from close range forced the ‘keeper to block it with his foot. We managed to bag ourselves a mere consolation in injury time though, as a Colne player lashed at Dudley’s shin. It was a dreadful challenge, but Dudley received justice as he slotted the ball down the middle with the last touch of the game. Not a good day at the office for us today, so we must be doing better.

Not many stood out for me this afternoon. Jamie Morgan was quick going forward, but at times he was prone to losing the ball more than anticipated. Danny Elliott was decent too as his dribbling was impressive, but just like on Tuesday he couldn’t find that end product. Joel Taylor was quite good when he came on as we was sharp and pacy on the left. Other than that, there isn’t a great deal who caught the eye today.

Over the course of pre-season our main issues has been our end product and creativity in midfield, so hopefully we will sort the above out in time for the new season. We hit the road once again on Tuesday night where we travel to 1874 Northwich (who now groundshare with Barnton). I was speaking to Akwasi Asante before the game today who told me that he is confident that he will feature in this one, so fingers crossed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 21 2019, 01:48 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/Jp-Ger7oD7c

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 07:51 AM