Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Jul 8 2019, 04:06 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

Our pre-season campaign continues tomorrow where we will play Newquay away as part of our mini-tour of Cornwall in what will be our first away pre-season friendly of the season. We are coming into this game on the back of a heavy 7-1 defeat against Wigan Athletic, so hopefully things will be a bit more straight forward this time. Although Wigan were by far the better side, I actually thought that we played some decent stuff at times and competed quite well. If we had just cut out a few of our stupid errors then the scoreline would have been more respectable to us.

This match should give us a more realistic opportunity to judge our players as the standard of Newquay’s division is more suitable for us than the standard of Wigan’s division. Just like what happened on Saturday I expect us to field two different line-ups (1 for each half) which will give us more variety in regards to sussing out who is playing well or not. There will be one or two trialists travelling down for this; hopefully one being Trialist B who was arguably our best player on Saturday.

Newquay ply their trade in the South West Peninsula Premier Division which is step 10 of the English League System. Just before the Second World War started (1937) the original Newquay FC dissolved which meant that there was no club until 1946, which was when the current club (Newquay AFC) formed. Ever since then Newquay have hovered in and around the South West Peninsula Leagues and have occasionally had the odd season in the Devon County League.

I really can’t wait for this now as I will be setting off on the train just after 09:00 today. In May last year I was on holiday in Newquay and visited their ground, Mount Wise, which is very tidy for the level they play at. Hopefully this tour will provide our squad with a good opportunity to not only bond with themselves but with our supporters as well. There are actually quite a few fellow blues doing this one which should make for a ‘Chester Takeover’. I will be staying over from today until Friday so that I can arrive back in time for the Dulwich Hamlet game. Bring it onnnnn. Sun, sea, sand, seals. Come On City!

Score: Newquay 0-3 Chester FC (Waring, Mahon, Taylor)
Attendance: 146 (79 Chester FC)

My predicted lineup:
T.Roberts
Thomson Grand Livesey Taylor
Jackson G.Roberts Stopforth Mahon
Waring Dudley

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 8 2019, 06:11 AM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/_B7zqSqAMGM
Includes ground guide, latest form, plus much more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 10 2019, 03:55 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

I know that we were bound to win last night, but we put in a faultless display to produce a resounding victory. My word, if our matches produce these scorelines every week then we are in for a very entertaining season. We dominated last night’s game as we did to Newquay what Wigan did to us - play them off the park. Our passing range was excellent, we played from the back, and up top we found the net umpteen times thanks to some brilliant finishing. Newquay tried to get into us, but it didn’t result in anything worthy as they were rather dirty in this ‘’friendly’’ fixture.

The opening moments were rather feisty as a number of challenges were made, and on a few occasions Jamie Morgan was brought down, so I presume that Newquay were ‘targeting’ him. After just 7 minutes Newquay won a penalty as I think that one of our players handled the ball from a corner. Russ Griffiths though, our Trialist goalkeeper, got a strong hand to the ball which gave us a sense of relief. George Waring made it 1-0 to us which set us on our way, as Anthony Dudley squared the ball to him for an easy finish. Just moments later, Trialist A doubled our lead as he got on the end of a brilliant Gary Roberts cross to fire the ball past the ‘keeper. Our third goal was scored thanks to some excellent link-up play by Waring and Dudley, as Waring nutmegged an opposing defender to find Dudley who slotted home. Rhys Oates, our Trialist striker, netted his second following brilliant work once again from Dudley as he managed to find the corner. The floodgates paused for a little while because we moved the ball around really well without creating any chances of note. However, the hosts brought the end to an almost perfect first half as they scored a consolation to make it 4-1. Fair play to them though, as it was almost a carbon copy of our goal against Wigan because the goalscorer cut in from the left hand side to find the far corner. We went into the break with a rather comfortable cushion.

Our second half display was even better as we managed to keep a clean sheet, along with adding a further 5 goals to our tally. It took us a bit of a while to find the net, but when we did the floodgates resumed again. A header by Danny Livesey forced a decent save from Newquay’s custodian, but Lloyd Marsh-Hughes was there at the right time to score the rebound. Our sixth was unbelievable as a fantastic passing move made Gary Roberts set-up Iwan Murray, who struck a volley from close range. Iwan Murray was to be involved in our next goal again, as a lovely cross found Simon Grand who thumped a header into the roof of the net. Things died down a little as just like the first half we calmed down a bit to concentrate on our possession. On the 87th minute mark though Rhys Oates bagged his hat trick as a powerful hit found the net once again. Finally, Gary Roberts netted a penalty with virtually the last touch of the match, as initially Jamie Morgan was brought down (again!)

Every single player wearing our (lucky for once) yellow shirt all had excellent games. It’s very hard to pick a man-of-the-match, but if I was to choose then I would opt for Rhys Oates (Trialist A). Obviously he netted a hat trick which is all you need to know, but his link-up play with Dudley and Waring was top class which resulted in 5 goals being scored between the 3 of them. Dudley may have scored just the one, but he was a completely different player to the version who was here towards the end of last season. He proved to be a scary threat to Newquay as at times he dribbled through them with ease, and he was involved in a lot of our goals. Also, I was impressed with our Trialist goalkeeper, Russ Griffiths. Unlike Grant Shenton, he likes to play from the back which was very effective for us last night, and he is very vocal too. He was constantly checking on Danny Livesey and Simon Grand (who is another vocal player), amongst other members of our defence. Gary Roberts was exceptional as I lost count the amount of times he passed the ball from one side of the pitch to the other. His passing range was just superb, and he topped it off with a well-deserved goal at the end. I can mention a shedload of others who were brilliant last night, but Monday’s 8 hour journey is beginning to catch up on me 😄.

Newquay has been really enjoyable so far, and last night’s result just tops it off. I know that we were the heavy favourites ahead of this, but I wasn’t expecting us to get nine. Just a word or two on Newquay AFC. At times a few of their players were a bit dirty, but they have been very welcoming hosts and are a lovely volunteer-led club. Their ground is very tidy for the level they play at, and to be honest it wouldn’t look out of place at National League North level. It’s a shame that they don’t get many people watching them, although I hope that due to Newquay being a really popular tourist destination more football fans/groundhoppers will go to watch them. Another thing I want to touch on is our support. I’d say that around 100 Chester supporters were inside Mount Wise last night which is truly outstanding. For a pre-season friendly based 8 hours away you could quite easily not bother, but once again our supporters go out of the way which goes to show what a big Chester FC family we are. To put it into context, we didn’t even take that amount to Boston United (which is 5 hours closer) on a Saturday in September last year. Anyway, onto Dulwich Hamlet now which will be an important match considering they play at the same level as us. Looking forward to my final couple of days here before this one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 10 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/0Zu9zurA0E4
Hopefully you will enjoy.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2019 - 02:55 PM