Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chester FC V Wigan Athletic - MATCH THREAD #1 - Pre-Season Friendly -
Rio Doherty
post Jul 5 2019, 08:38 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

Welcome to the first match thread of the new season! Tomorrow we host Wigan Athletic at home in what will be our first home pre-season friendly and first pre-season friendly in our busy schedule. This match is not only important in regards to what happens on the pitch as this is a fundraiser for the King George V Sports Hub, which has the potential to be a really successful off-the-pitch facility. Hopefully there will be a healthy crowd at the Deva tomorrow as every penny helps. Raffle tickets have been posted out to all CFU members so make sure to spread the word in order to raise funds for this facility.

In regards to the match itself, this will be a tricky test for us. Results don’t really count towards anything in pre-season as it’s just about testing different formations and squads against a range of teams. Obviously this will be our first chance to see our new signings in a Chester shirt so hopefully they will compete well. Also, it has been mentioned on Cheshire Live that it is likely that Theo Roberts and trialist goalkeeper Russ Griffiths will play 45 minutes each which is a good approach.

Wigan Athletic will be making the journey from Greater Manchester preparing for their second season in the Championship since their promotion from League One two seasons ago. I have been following the Lancashire-based club’s social media sites ahead of this match and a large portion of their supporters are lamenting that they have a very thin squad, so they could play a weakened side tomorrow. Initially it was reported that they would take a full strength XI, but if they don’t have many players then they could be forced to field some youth players etc. When our home match against Blyth Spartans was postponed in February I went on a groundhop to watch Wigan play QPR, and they were quite good that day.

It has been nine weeks since we were last in action so I really can’t wait for tomorrow’s match. I am looking forward to watching some of our new lads in action for the first time ahead of our Cornwall venture. Aside from that though, it’s vital that we all get behind the King George V facility and chip in as much as we can so that we can achieve this £300,000 target. Can’t wait to be back. Up The Seals!

Score: Chester FC (Dudley) 1-2 Wigan Athletic
Attendance: 1,241 (358 Wigan Athletic)

My predicted lineup:
T.Roberts
K.Roberts Grand Livesey Taylor
Jackson G.Roberts Stopforth Mahon
Asante Dudley

COYB!

This post has been edited by Rio Doherty: Jul 5 2019, 08:39 AM

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 5 2019, 10:30 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/9IS2CizFE0A
I have revamped my videos ahead of the new campaign by adding brand new features and graphics. Hope you all enjoy 😊🔵.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 6 2019, 05:34 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

It was always going to be tough for us to compete against a strong side who are 4 divisions higher than us. Obviously Wigan are worthy winners as they played us off the park in periods, but I actually thought that we competed quite well at times. We occasionally passed the ball around quite well and unlocked Wigan’s defence a couple of times, which you can argue is a positive.

We got off to a poor start in the first half though as Josh Windass made it 1-0 to Wigan by slotting the ball past Roberts, as a quick counter attack made him clean through. In the first 10 minutes of the match we were very nervy and were prone to making a few errors. However, we soon calmed down as we began to play the ball on the deck and compete with Wigan. A Danny Livesey header went wide following a cross by Gary Roberts, before a shot by Trialist A was saved by Wigan’s custodian. After that James Jones went close by heading wide, but just moments later Trialist B unleashed a shot which went just wide on the back of good work by Jamie Morgan. We began to revert to our edgy start on the half hour mark though as the visitors scored a flurry of goals to put daylight between us and them. Our defence just couldn’t keep up with Kal Naismith who fired the ball home to double Wigan’s lead, whilst their third was netted by Callum Lang who weaved through our defence. Just before the break we managed to bag a mere consolation as Trialist B scored a fantastic goal for us. He dribbled past a plethora of Wigan defenders before finding the far corner with a powerful hit. That brought a little bit of cheer going into the half time interval.

Our second half XI was almost different to our first half XI as a number of changes were made at the break. We got off to an awful start though as Wigan netted a fourth just seconds into the half. James Jones gave the ball away and all Joe Garner had to do was slot it past Russ Griffiths. Joe Garner then scored a further two goals to complete a hat-trick as his second was from the penalty spot, despite it being a very soft call by the referee. Then, his third was on the back of a decent passage of play as he stabbed the ball over Griffiths. To our credit though we didn’t give up, and still give it a go in the final 15 minutes. We had two golden opportunities in a matter of seconds, and how we didn’t score I will never know. A great cross by Brad Jackson found George Waring whose header hit the crossbar, then the rebound by Simon Grand forced a brilliant save from Wigan’s ‘keeper who tipped the ball over the bar. With just minutes to go the visitors completed their rout as Charlie Jolley lashed the ball into the bottom corner. It just wasn’t to be for us today, but our remaining friendlies don’t look as daunting as this one so hopefully we will compete well.

In regards to who deserves my man of the match, I would probably go for Trialist B. In the first half he unlocked Wigan’s defence by finding a number of openings, and duly topped it off by scoring a brilliant goal. Other notable displays include Joel Taylor who passed the ball around well and was quick on the left hand side. He made an excellent tackle in the first half too when he came from behind to steal the ball from the Wigan player who was about to shoot. Also, George Waring did well when he came on as he pressed Wigan’s backline well and was full of energy. I’m surprised with a few comments regarding James Jones. Granted, he made a bad mistake for Wigan’s 4th, but he made some good tackles and was composed when in possession.

It is way too early to start making conclusions just yet. We still have a whopping 12 pre-season friendlies left (more than 1/4 of our entire season) so we have plenty of chances to try out different squads and formations against opponents ranging from Sky Bet League One (step 3) to the South West Peninsula League Premier Division West (step 10). We should be looking at the Dulwich Hamlet game as a more realistic opportunity to judge our players as they play at the same level as us. Anyway, we move on to our Cornwall venture which I cannot wait for. Roll on Newquay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 7 2019, 09:01 AM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/Tje4OJrfWB8

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2019 - 02:52 PM