Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Dec 7 2018, 07:54 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

On the back of a much-needed victory last weekend our attentions turn to Greater Manchester tomorrow where we travel to face Stockport County away in a massive game. Our display against Darlington was sensational to propel us back up to 3rd following a 6 match winless run, hence that result has came at the right time ahead of a busy month. Akwasi Asante’s debut was the best I have witnessed as of yet, so he’ll be wanting to continue to live up to his name tag as it’s important that we snap him up permanently if we carries his rich vein of form on.

It’s essential that we keep gaining ground on teams around us due to some having games in hand on us, as I believe that our squad is capable of going on another run. If we can keep putting displays in such as last Saturday’s then we should have the credentials to challenge near the top. Our opponents aren’t pulling any trees at all which is why we definitely have the ability to come back home with all 3 points as a healthy blues following is expected.

Stockport County are another side who have been languishing in this division for a number of years following a prominent spell in the Football League. They are a big club with a decent fanbase and a nice stadium, but they’ve been left disappointed in recent campaigns as a series of mid table finishes has just not taken them off. Last season Stockport finished in the play-offs, although they are currently 12th which makes this game more than winnable. A successful run in the FA Cup saw them reach the 2nd Round where they eventually lost out to Barnet on Sunday, so this may have a minor effect on tomorrow’s match which is good for us. Former blues Nyal Bell and Paul Turnbull are likely to feature for County tomorrow. Both didn’t really materialise whilst here, although Bell has bagged a few goals this season whilst Turnbull has featured regularly so it will be interesting to see what they are like under new circumstances. Hopefully we will not turn into a Stockport as it’s vital we get out of this league ASAP, and under Bern and Jonno I believe that our stay at National League North level will be short lived.

For me this is our biggest away match of the season by a mile as I can’t wait right now. A strong following in circa of 800 will play a massive part tomorrow as it’s our job to now build another run. Our last venture to Edgeley Park was a memorable one so let’s hope that we will emulate it as we have a decent away record against Stockport. Stockport are no world beaters at all because believe it or not, we are 9 places above them so we shouldn't be looking for anything less than a win. Come On City!

Score: Stockport County 1-1 Chester FC (Asante)
Attendance: 4,382 (846 Chester FC)
COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 7 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/I2v7oeymmys

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 8 2018, 05:49 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

That was a very entertaining encounter where you would feel we deserved to win it, but a draw is a fair result in my opinion. Our display was excellent again as we had plenty of chances to win and were very unlucky as we hit the post early on, conceded a harsh penalty and had openings in the second half. The atmosphere was fantastic from both sides to be honest as we brought a strong following up there whilst Stockport made a good atmosphere, although it does feel a tad deflating to not go home with all 3 points as we lead for parts of the first half. In general this is a decent result for us as it was never going to be easy to come home with a win at a tough place to go.

We played really well in the first half as we got a foothold on the game nice and early and made a good start. After just 8 minutes we were ever so close to breaking the deadlock as Akwasi Asante hit the post following a fine move. Just like last weekend he was exceptional today as his work rate was second to none, his first touch and skill was great, and he pressed the Stockport backline really well. We adapted to the match well as the half went on as we played some nice football on a greasy surface and had even more chances to go 1-0 up. After 20 minutes Danny Livesey got substituted off due to a hamstring strain which resulted in Deane Smalley being forced to play as centre back for the remainder of the game. I was a bit on edge at first but he didn’t do too badly at the back for us as he kept a clean sheet (penalty aside). Just after the half hour mark, that man again, Akwasi Asante, sent us all into raptures as he powered home an inch perfect Adam Dawson cross in front of the Stockport supporters to give us a deserved lead. We continued to create chances, and so did our opponents who were rewarded a rather harsh penalty just before half time. They equalised to make it 1-1 which was a sucker punch for us as we deserved more than that, hence the officials headed into half time with a deserved onslaught of boos in their direction.

I thought that the second period was a bit more even as both sides cancelled each other out. Stockport began to dominate as they had a number of chances to score and fortunately hit the post. In all honesty I thought Nyal Bell had a good game for them as he was a threat going forward and was a tricky player to cope with. In regards to our players I thought nobody put in a bad shift this afternoon. Obviously Asante was a handful again, but for me Adam Dawson was immense as he worked tirelessly, was a threat on the ball and was a massive improvement to the Southport game. There is obviously something in this lad which is why we must give him time to adapt as he will come on good for us. Craig Mahon had another good game too. I thought he did too much for us at times, but his performance was faultless as usual and put in another decent shift. At the back Grant Shenton was solid and deserved to keep a clean sheet but was unfortunate with the penalty. Matty Thomson was brilliant going forward and is getting better by the week. At times I thought we were a tad shaky defensively but that was probably due to the tense surroundings. Just like the Darlington game Anthony Dudley put in another hard-working display as he is turning into a great partner alongside Asante with the service being much better. It’s not often I talk about officials, but boy the ref and linesman on our side were so out of there depth it was unreal. For me that was one of the worse officiating displays I have witnessed as they simply did not have a clue and were an utter joke. As for the linesman, he can smile all he likes but was a big embarrassment.

All in all, this is a decent point on the road which adds to our tally. We can feel the sense of unluckiness as we had loads of chances to win it, but it wasn’t going to be an easy game. Anyway, we will now have yet another lengthy break which has been the norm for us so far this season. It will now be two weeks until our next match which will be at home against AFC Telford United, although I suppose that’s a good thing for our players as we have a gruelling fixture schedule coming up over the festive period so it’s best to keep them fresh. Overall I enjoyed my day out as the atmosphere was electric and we put in another excellent display.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 9 2018, 12:08 AM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match highlights:
https://youtu.be/1vnkSAA0_4Y

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Dec 9 2018, 04:02 PM
Post #5

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1471

That penalty decision is absolutely farcical. The ball goes past Smalley as he tries to head it, bounces back off a player a yard or so behind him, and hits the back of his arm whilst he's still got his back to the ball and can't see it coming!

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Dec 9 2018, 04:05 PM
Post #6

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1471

QUOTE (Rio Doherty @ Dec 9 2018, 01:08 AM) *
My match highlights:
https://youtu.be/1vnkSAA0_4Y

Thanks for that Rio. It's clear from your footage and the league's highlights that we had the better chances and could have won comfortably.

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2019 - 03:14 AM