> Ray Gill - new addition to the legends
3mm
post Nov 4 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #1

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

A worthy addition to the legends, Ray holds the Football League appearance record for Chester (406 games).

Ray Gill

Ray Gill Obituary

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Nov 4 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #2

Club Director
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (3mm @ Nov 4 2017, 01:06 PM) *
A worthy addition to the legends, Ray holds the Football League appearance record for Chester (406 games).

Ray Gill

Ray Gill Obituary

Thanks for putting that up 3mm. A worthy tribute to a great servant for the club.
I was lucky to see him play for a couple of seasons, certainly deserved of the status of “Legend”

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Nov 4 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #3

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 9054

Him and Ron Hughes were fixtures at full back in my first 3 seasons when teams played 2 3 5 formation.

Definitely a legend.

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Nov 4 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #4

1st team regular

Member No.: 1471

QUOTE (shunter blue @ Nov 4 2017, 07:35 PM) *
Him and Ron Hughes were fixtures at full back in my first 3 seasons when teams played 2 3 5 formation.

Definitely a legend.

Yup, those two were the full backs in my first few seasons. Full backs had to be quick and strong in those days and know how to cover the centre-half.

I know I've said this several times before but the 'W' formation played three at the back, the centre half and the two full backs. Both wingers played out wide (and forward - no defensive duties). The wing halves and the inside forwards occupied midfield. It's hard to describe the formation to those who didn't grow up with it, because it's so different to the formations played ever since. It died out at the top level of English football around the end of the fifties but was still the primary formation in the lower leagues (including non-league) until the mid-late sixties.

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Nov 4 2017, 10:45 PM
Post #5

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Nov 4 2017, 07:49 PM) *

Definitely a legend.

Yup, those two were the full backs in my first few seasons. Full backs had to be quick and strong in those days and know how to cover the centre-half.

I know I've said this several times before but the 'W' formation played three at the back, the centre half and the two full backs. Both wingers played out wide (and forward - no defensive duties). The wing halves and the inside forwards occupied midfield. It's hard to describe the formation to those who didn't grow up with it, because it's so different to the formations played ever since. It died out at the top level of English football around the end of the fifties but was still the primary formation in the lower leagues (including non-league) until the mid-late sixties.

Blame Alf Ramsey! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Nov 6 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #6

Reserve skipper

Definitely a legend.

Sir Alf Ramsey is credited with changing the formation of the national side to 4-2-4 and I suppose it just filtered it's way down the pyramid (which didn't exist in those days).

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Nov 6 2017, 12:48 PM
Post #7

Reserve skipper

Ray Gill

Ray Gill Obituary

Just read Ray Gill's obituary and another blast from the past was Bill Souter. I knew Bill quite well as a bagatelle player for the Liver Hotel. Bill played for the Bromfield in Hoole and games between the 2 pubs were often played in a very hostile atmosphere as the teams were often the main challengers for the league title. A genial man I think the late Bill Souter worked for the Council.

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Nov 6 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #8

1st team regular

QUOTE (shunter blue @ Nov 6 2017, 01:37 PM) *

Definitely a legend.

Sir Alf Ramsey is credited with changing the formation of the national side to 4-2-4 and I suppose it just filtered it's way down the pyramid (which didn't exist in those days).

Non-UK international teams were playing other systems by the mid-late fifties. My first recollection of 4-2-4 was with the Brazil team of 1958 that introduced Pele to the world. I think it was Walter Winterbottom who first brought it to the England team in the 1962 finals in Chile, as he was using Maurice Norman and Bobby Moore as a central defensive pairing. Ramsey continued with it, but made a critical mod by 1966 in that he moved away from using pure wingers. Change took a while to filter down but had reached the lower echelons by the start of the seventies.

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Nov 7 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #9

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

Isn't England's 6-3 hammering by Hungary usually seen as the moment English football realised how tactically behind it was?

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Nov 7 2017, 12:13 PM
Post #10

1st team regular

QUOTE (Lobster @ Nov 7 2017, 12:53 PM) *
Isn't England's 6-3 hammering by Hungary usually seen as the moment English football realised how tactically behind it was?

I think it was seen as the moment we realised we weren't superior to all other footballing nations. It took a good while longer for us to change playing style and formations. That Hungarian team had some world class players, which arguably is more important.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Nov 7 2017, 03:00 PM
Post #11

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Nov 7 2017, 12:13 PM) *
QUOTE (Lobster @ Nov 7 2017, 12:53 PM) *

I think it was seen as the moment we realised we weren't superior to all other footballing nations. It took a good while longer for us to change playing style and formations. That Hungarian team had some world class players, which arguably is more important.

If my memory serves me right, I think we went over to Hungary soon after and lost 7-1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Nov 8 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #12

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

QUOTE (shunter blue @ Nov 6 2017, 01:48 PM) *

Ray Gill

Ray Gill Obituary

Just read Ray Gill's obituary and another blast from the past was Bill Souter. I knew Bill quite well as a bagatelle player for the Liver Hotel. Bill played for the Bromfield in Hoole and games between the 2 pubs were often played in a very hostile atmosphere as the teams were often the main challengers for the league title. A genial man I think the late Bill Souter worked for the Council.

Bill did indeed work for the Council. He was a Street Mason.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 06:30 AM