3mm
post Sep 27 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #1

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

From BBC News

In the final game of their cricket season, Carew Cricket Club were 21 points ahead of the team in second place, with 20 points being awarded for a win, plus batting and bowling points also available.

Carew chose to bat first, and declared on 18-1 to deny their opponents any chance of getting any bonus points. They duly lost the game but their opponents only got 20 points for the win, so Carew won the league by 1 point.

They remain champions but have just been relegated by a disciplinary committee. The team's captain has also been told he is banned from starting the 2018 season, and the club was also fined £300.

Not sure how I'd have dealt with them if I was on that committee. Technically they haven't broken any rules, but it's certainly not sporting. Anyone?

BBC Sport comment

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
awaydays
post Sep 27 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #2

Squad player

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12771

very unsporting, they should have played the match and won, although rules are rules

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 27 2017, 11:33 AM
Post #3

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 203

I don't really understand enough about cricket to comment, but a similar situation is possible in football. Imagine with one game to go, a league table looked like this:

1. Team A - 90 points, +50 goal difference
2. Team B - 87 points, +49 goal difference
3. Team C - 83 points, +37 goal difference

On the last day, Team A and Team B play each other, and Team A are without their best player, who is suspended. However, Team A are aware that all they need to do is stop Team B winning, and the league is theirs, so they decide to play the suspended player anyway.

After the match, Team A are deducted three points for fielding an ineligible player, but it won't matter to them. If they won, they'll only lose the three points they've just collected and will still be champions. If they drew, they'll be knocked down to 88 points but will still be ahead of Team B on goal difference. And if they lost, they would have lost the league anyway and a three-point deduction wouldn't stop them finishing runners up.

This is why fielding an ineligible player should mean the game is awarded to the other team. It's unfair that clubs should have to accept losing matches against players who shouldn't have been on the pitch.

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Sep 27 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #4

1st team regular

Member No.: 3174

QUOTE (Lobster @ Sep 27 2017, 12:33 PM) *
I don't really understand enough about cricket to comment, but a similar situation is possible in football. Imagine with one game to go, a league table looked like this:

On the last day, Team A and Team B play each other, and Team A are without their best player, who is suspended. However, Team A are aware that all they need to do is stop Team B winning, and the league is theirs, so they decide to play the suspended player anyway.

After the match, Team A are deducted three points for fielding an ineligible player, but it won't matter to them. If they won, they'll only lose the three points they've just collected and will still be champions. If they drew, they'll be knocked down to 88 points but will still be ahead of Team B on goal difference. And if they lost, they would have lost the league anyway and a three-point deduction wouldn't stop them finishing runners up.

This is why fielding an ineligible player should mean the game is awarded to the other team. It's unfair that clubs should have to accept losing matches against players who shouldn't have been on the pitch.

That’s really interesting, I’d never thought of that.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Sep 27 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #5

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

They've played to the rules.

Whilst it is unsporting to do it, the way in which the rules have been drawn up has caused the situation.

I feel for the club and for the captain. The buck should stop with the League committee and an urgent review of the bonus points system should be held with a revision to ensure that a similar situation cannot happen again.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
McSeal
post Sep 27 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #6

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 6

The 'Spirit of Cricket', a few paragraphs that precede the actual laws of the game and cover things like fair play and respect have definitely not been adhered to here.

Throw the book at them !

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 27 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #7

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Member No.: 8970

agree, its just not cricket is it ?

+Quote Post
Burrfect
post Sep 27 2017, 09:30 PM
Post #8

Squad player

Member No.: 11919

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Sep 27 2017, 01:08 PM) *

Whilst it is unsporting to do it, the way in which the rules have been drawn up has caused the situation.

I feel for the club and for the captain. The buck should stop with the League committee and an urgent review of the bonus points system should be held with a revision to ensure that a similar situation cannot happen again.
sorry but my view is it's cheating you play the game to win if you go studying the rule books to find a loophole to win like they did then it's no better than paying a team to throw a game

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Sep 28 2017, 06:36 AM
Post #9

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (Burrfect @ Sep 27 2017, 10:30 PM) *

sorry but my view is it's cheating you play the game to win if you go studying the rule books to find a loophole to win like they did then it's no better than paying a team to throw a game

Rules should be changed then so you can't have this problem arise in the future.

Simple.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Sep 28 2017, 04:58 PM
Post #10

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

As an ex cricketer you have to admire the ingenuity of it, they only declared on 18 because they lost their first wicket, they could have been 300 without loss and no one would have batted an eyelid had they declared when they lost their first wicket.
They did all the hard work all season not on the last day.
There have also been stories in the past of teams over watering the pitch and flooding it when a called off game gives them the league title, it's really nothing new.

For football and similar methods see John becks Cambridge in the 80s and 90s deliberately letting the grass grow to a length it's almost impossible to pass the ball on. Turning the heating off in the opposition changing rooms etc etc.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Sep 28 2017, 05:00 PM
Post #11

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

QUOTE (Lobster @ Sep 27 2017, 12:33 PM) *

Would team B not be awarded the game three nil though?

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 28 2017, 06:28 PM
Post #12

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Member No.: 8970

what would happen if team A or B were a welsh team? Now that would get complicated and you can guarantee whatever happened the welsh team would come out on top

+Quote Post
Finland Blue
post Sep 29 2017, 05:07 AM
Post #13

Predict-a-Score Champion 2004/2005

Member No.: 341

QUOTE (Burrfect @ Sep 28 2017, 12:30 AM) *

Its not a "loophole" its simply of an early declaration made in order to win. How can there be anything wrong with that?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2017 - 07:49 AM