Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The question will then become ..., War chest
JamesDee
post Sep 17 2017, 01:03 AM
Post #1

JamesDee

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 3729

Whoever is appointed manager by the current Board the real question facing the new incoming Board after the AGM will be: Should we break into the War Chest in order to help the new manager guide us to staying in the Conference!

If not then how does the new manager progress this club forward and upwards from where we are at this time?

It is a very difficult and not an easy question to resolve but such is the mess that the new manager faces that this becomes a key question. Personally I don't think there is any other option than to use the war chest because it is that serious. Then with greater crowds attending matches the Board can plan to rebuild the War Chest from next year onwards.

The matter is that serious. Indeed it should be put on the CFU AGM Agenda for CFU members discussion and advice to the new board.

This new Board will need support and help from CFU members to set us on our new course whoever is to be the new manager because the situation is as if we were starting all over again but on this occasion really from "behind the eight ball" so to speak ie a negative position and not zero because we have the current players to deal with before any restructuring by the new manager can go ahead and efforts are made to keep us in the Conference as the main target from now on for this year.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Sep 17 2017, 11:35 AM
Post #2

1st team regular

Member No.: 3174

For me it's a simple yes. As long as we're not taking chances with our future then what else are savings for? It's very important we stay in this division because I don't think there's any doubt that if we went down we'd seriously struggle to come back up.

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Sep 17 2017, 11:43 AM
Post #3

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 5404

Halifax managed to get promoted again with smaller attendances than us ,but i would rather we werent relegated .

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Sep 17 2017, 12:24 PM
Post #4

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

I don't think we've got much choice if we are to save ourselves, A new manager will obviously want to bring in at least a couple if not more new signings as what we have now is simply not good enough!

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 17 2017, 12:48 PM
Post #5

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 8970

I think a crowd funder campaign would be a better idea, with assurances from the board that money raised will go straight into the budget, I would rather see us go down than risk having no club

Also I think if the war chest was to be touched we would lose by far the clubs biggest asset, Laurence Kirby , leave it where it is don't put the club in Jeopardy, under no circumstances.

+Quote Post
JamesDee
post Sep 17 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #6

JamesDee

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 17 2017, 10:18 PM) *
I think a crowd funder campaign would be a better idea, with assurances from the board that money raised will go straight into the budget, I would rather see us go down than risk having no club

Also I think if the war chest was to be touched we would lose by far the clubs biggest asset, Laurence Kirby , leave it where it is don't put the club in Jeopardy, under no circumstances.

That is what I thought might happen. You present the other side of the coin. But as others have now argued we must not go down because getting back up is not that easy. Mentioning Halifax's wonderful success is only one but others have just stayed down as if for ever.

Crowd funding is a good idea but what is the number of folk who would become involved? Say it is 2,000 if we could be lucky and at 10 pounds per head is not going to be anything like enough. So ... where do you then go? Not nice to spend the War Chest but ... if we were to go down we would then spend it trying to get back up again. Very difficult . It will really be a truly tough call and no doubt there will be strong arguments on both sides.

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Sep 17 2017, 02:14 PM
Post #7

1st team regular

Crowdfunding is an absolute pipe dream at this point. Personally (& I don't think I'd be alone) I'd feel as though I was throwing good money after bad. What else is the money for if not to try to prevent relegation?

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 17 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #8

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (stortfordblue @ Sep 17 2017, 03:14 PM) *
Crowdfunding is an absolute pipe dream at this point. Personally (& I don't think I'd be alone) I'd feel as though I was throwing good money after bad. What else is the money for if not to try to prevent relegation?

We have to live within our means, this is a fact, spending money which has been set aside to give the club stability, is not the answer and goes against the ethos of being a fan owned club. I would much prefer to hear ideas about how we can raise more cash, than views about how to spend the cash we already have.

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Sep 17 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #9

1st team regular

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 17 2017, 03:31 PM) *

We have to live within our means, this is a fact, spending money which has been set aside to give the club stability, is not the answer and goes against the ethos of being a fan owned club. I would much prefer to hear ideas about how we can raise more cash, than views about how to spend the cash we already have.

I completely agree with your sentiments & I'm not suggesting that we spend whatever it takes to keep us in the division. What I'm advocating is dipping into the reserves in order to add depth to the squad & allow the new man to bring in 2 or 3 of his own players to try to keep us up.

I detest crowdfunding anyway, why should people just give their money away? If we want to make more money we have to earn it, getting people in to watch the team, non-football income streams, merchandising, whatever. But not just repeatedly asking me to put my hand in my pocket. At best it's unprofessional, at worst it's a laughable way to run a professional football club.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 17 2017, 02:50 PM
Post #10

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (stortfordblue @ Sep 17 2017, 03:41 PM) *

I completely agree with your sentiments & I'm not suggesting that we spend whatever it takes to keep us in the division. What I'm advocating is dipping into the reserves in order to add depth to the squad & allow the new man to bring in 2 or 3 of his own players to try to keep us up.

I detest crowdfunding anyway, why should people just give their money away? If we want to make more money we have to earn it, getting people in to watch the team, non-football income streams, merchandising, whatever. But not just repeatedly asking me to put my hand in my pocket. At best it's unprofessional, at worst it's a laughable way to run a professional football club.

I see where your coming from regarding the crowdfunder idea, but if there are people who would like to help than why not ? Personally I think we should be knocking on the door of every business in the area asking them to support, advertise, sell scratch cards whatever they are willing to do to help the club, we have a big business community in Chester and the surrounding areas, its about time we tried to tap into it !

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Sep 17 2017, 03:36 PM
Post #11

1st team regular

Member No.: 1471

My view, in short is no. Why? ... because the war chest is there to ensure that we survive as a club, not simply to try and maintain a status quo. There seem to be very short memories of how close we came to having absolutely nothing to support. Football is all about ups and downs, and 95% of the time involves no (or very limited) success. Do I want us to be relegated? No, but sinking the club in a desperate attempt to stay up would be the ultimate folly. As a supporters owned club our aim should be for stability and continuity, and the fear of taking one step back shouldn't drive the agenda.

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
El presidente
post Sep 17 2017, 03:55 PM
Post #12

Youth team

Member No.: 12778

Agreed.

Anyone remember the "Steve burr had a dream" campaign. Where did that money go? I personally donated £50 to that!

Burr gets the sack, leaves us with the clown Mcarthy and we are in a worse place on the pitch than ever .

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Sep 17 2017, 03:58 PM
Post #13

1st team regular

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 17 2017, 03:50 PM) *

I see where your coming from regarding the crowdfunder idea, but if there are people who would like to help than why not ? Personally I think we should be knocking on the door of every business in the area asking them to support, advertise, sell scratch cards whatever they are willing to do to help the club, we have a big business community in Chester and the surrounding areas, its about time we tried to tap into it !

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. The issue as i see it is that when bigger clubs do similar things they offer tickets as an incentive. I don't see that working for us as tickets aren't hard to get hold of anyway & unless you're a fan it's not the most attractive day out.

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Sep 17 2017, 04:36 PM) *
My view, in short is no. Why? ... because the war chest is there to ensure that we survive as a club, not simply to try and maintain a status quo. There seem to be very short memories of how close we came to having absolutely nothing to support. Football is all about ups and downs, and 95% of the time involves no (or very limited) success. Do I want us to be relegated? No, but sinking the club in a desperate attempt to stay up would be the ultimate folly. As a supporters owned club our aim should be for stability and continuity, and the fear of taking one step back shouldn't drive the agenda.

As I said, survival is what's most important. But we can surely dip into those reserves in an effort to keep us in the NL without risking the future of the club! We are operating at a profit aren't we?!

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Sep 17 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #14

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

QUOTE (stortfordblue @ Sep 17 2017, 04:58 PM) *
QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 17 2017, 03:50 PM) *

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. The issue as i see it is that when bigger clubs do similar things they offer tickets as an incentive. I don't see that working for us as tickets aren't hard to get hold of anyway & unless you're a fan it's not the most attractive day out.

As I said, survival is what's most important. But we can surely dip into those reserves in an effort to keep us in the NL without risking the future of the club! We are operating at a profit aren't we?!

You don't need a good squad to stay in this division but you do need a good manager.

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 17 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #15

Club Director
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2595

The "reserve" should not be touched. £100,000 is nothing today, but could mean our survival if things got really bad, we are surely not in that situation at the moment.
I agree about stability and continuity, starting from the top, the constant changes in the boardroom, and the revolving chairmen must stop now, so that the club can get some stability and continuity.
On the field, I personally think that the appointment of the next manager, is, possibly the most important appointment since Neil Young.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Burrfect
post Sep 17 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #16

Squad player

Member No.: 11919

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 17 2017, 05:34 PM) *

The "reserve" should not be touched. £100,000 is nothing today, but could mean our survival if things got really bad, we are surely not in that situation at the moment.
I agree about stability and continuity, starting from the top, the constant changes in the boardroom, and the revolving chairmen must stop now, so that the club can get some stability and continuity.
On the field, I personally think that the appointment of the next manager, is, possibly the most important appointment since Neil Young.

I wonder if the money has sat in a bank account earning next to no interest or invested in a low risk saving scheme, it should be 110 k by now and we could use the 10k leaving the 100 k war chest in tact

+Quote Post
McSeal
post Sep 17 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #17

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

QUOTE (Burrfect @ Sep 17 2017, 05:57 PM) *
QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 17 2017, 05:34 PM) *

I wonder if the money has sat in a bank account earning next to no interest or invested in a low risk saving scheme, it should be 110 k by now and we could use the 10k leaving the 100 k war chest in tact

If you know of any 'low risk' savings accounts that pay 10% can you give me the details first!

+Quote Post
blue cestrian
post Sep 17 2017, 07:48 PM
Post #18

Youth team

Member No.: 2072

How about we take £ 20 k out, stick it on a 2 to 1 certainty at Chepstow , if it comes in we got 40k, if it doesn't we only lost 20k ? Are you people for real ?

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 18 2017, 07:31 AM
Post #19

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (blue cestrian @ Sep 17 2017, 08:48 PM) *
How about we take £ 20 k out, stick it on a 2 to 1 certainty at Chepstow , if it comes in we got 40k, if it doesn't we only lost 20k ? Are you people for real ?

well put, do we really want to gamble our Rainy day money, having said that the new manager may come in and feel there is a need for a couple of loan signings which may need to be financed I think this is probably the question being asked ?

+Quote Post
JamesDee
post Sep 18 2017, 08:43 AM
Post #20

JamesDee

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 18 2017, 05:01 PM) *

well put, do we really want to gamble our Rainy day money, having said that the new manager may come in and feel there is a need for a couple of loan signings which may need to be financed I think this is probably the question being asked ?

Surely it is wrong, unfair and unrealistic to invite - if indeed any reasonable new manager would accept - a twelve month contract to try to run a winning football team of players based on and selected by the previous failed manager. He surely needs some funds to work with and so where is this money to come from and how much is he likely to require when the expenditure this past two years has shown a loss? There will need to be some sackings somewhere in the system.

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Sep 18 2017, 09:29 AM
Post #21

1st team regular

QUOTE (JamesDee @ Sep 18 2017, 09:43 AM) *

Surely it is wrong, unfair and unrealistic to invite - if indeed any reasonable new manager would accept - a twelve month contract to try to run a winning football team of players based on and selected by the previous failed manager. He surely needs some funds to work with and so where is this money to come from and how much is he likely to require when the expenditure this past two years has shown a loss? There will need to be some sackings somewhere in the system.

Exactly. I'm not saying mortgage our future but whoever comes in is going to need SOMETHING to work with.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 18 2017, 10:11 AM
Post #22

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (JamesDee @ Sep 18 2017, 09:43 AM) *

This is probably why the board left it as long as they did with the dismissal of JM, I suspect the man to get the job may be the man who has previously worked on a shoestring at this level of football,
but you are probably right the board are going to have to come up with some funds pretty sharpish .

+Quote Post
mole
post Sep 18 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #23

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1950

What war chest.

--------------------
Welcome to the Deva Stadium, home of Chester City. I have been asked to draw your attention to the emergency evacuation procedures. Should evacuation be neccessary, please leave by the nearest exit, blah blah blah you know the restt

+Quote Post
archie thomas
post Sep 18 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #24

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 6230

QUOTE (mole @ Sep 18 2017, 06:22 PM) *
What war chest.

the one buried behind the Harry mac . guiness.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
dances with wolfs
we whistled and we sang till the sealand end rang and we won the heart of the sealand end.

champions 2010-2011 champions 2011-12 champions 2012-13

high on a hill stood a lonely goat . higher up the hill stood a bloody big wolf. .. 0-2 TO THE PUB TEAM

134 goals .. ALABI 17 GOALS SEASON 16/17

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Sep 18 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #25

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

All a bit flap flap panic for me, I honestly think we have the makings of a decent side, we just need a manager who has half a clue how to play players in their correct positions and we will be fine

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2017 - 11:31 AM