Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> gateshead away, how do clubs survive with low crowds ?
stortfordblue
post Sep 13 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #26

1st team regular

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 3174

QUOTE (a view from outside @ Sep 13 2017, 09:27 PM) *
QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 13 2017, 02:22 PM) *
Gateshead 3-2 Chester
a heartless ground in front of a ridiculous crowd of just 500 home fans makes you wonder is it true that we have one of the lowest budgets in the league ? I find it hard to believe that 23 other clubs in our league are funded by millionaire businessmen, and if you believe they are, I would ask where are all the Chester Millionaires ? why have we never had a selfless millionaire pumping money into the club for the love of Chester ? The truth is these people are few and far between and more often than not there comes a time when they want something back. Is winning more important than being in charge of your own destiny ? For me being fan owned is the best thing that ever Happened to Chester and there is no turning back.
The Game; we started well playing some nice football, knocking the ball around, Mahon up to his old tricks, we were the better team, unfortunately our loanee right back was not having such a good game, kept giving the ball away, which ultimately led to the corner and the first goal for them. An absolute gift. H-t 1-0 down. 2nd half begins we are on the attack Mahon needlessly gives the ball away a couple of half hearted tackles up the other end and they score 2-0. So unfair, Chester just did not deserve the score line. Heads went down and we had a period of Gateshead domination until Big Harry come on, the tide was turning and deservedly we were back in the game at 2-2. Now we are trying to win the game. A long ball is sent up to big Harry who unselfishly nods it down to Raging Ross, he must be an inch away from scoring but the gaolie manages to smoother the ball. Gets up hoofs it downfield, all our centre half has to do is let the ball run through to our keeper, instead he tries to hoof it back, miss cues the ball which spins off to the corner flag and unbelievably goes out for a Gateshead corner. The corner is gifted straight into our keepers hands, no its not its in the back of the net. For the second time this season our loannee keeper has fluffed the ball costing us Points, which is sort of an irony, as it is my belief that Mccarthy contributed to his own downfall by not using the loan market when we clearly needed to get players in, and here we are losing the game due to contributions by our two loan players.
A couple of weeks ago people were calling for the managers head saying we were un-entertaining, watching Chester play last night was like watching an Alan Bleasdale Play, one minute your happy then your down crying and distraught then your up laughing and joyous then finally there's a dramatic ending a kick in the teeth but it could have been a lives happily ever after. What a game, and was the 65 of us that travelled entertained ?
dead right we were

Before he handed over control to the Bennetts last year, Graham Wood the previous owner was putting over £500k a year of his own money into the club to keep it afloat. Your next opponents money man goes by the name of Trevor Parmenter.

How many clubs in our division are bankrolled by a so-called "sugar daddy"?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
silverblue
post Sep 13 2017, 09:35 PM
Post #27

Squad player

Member No.: 7725

QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Sep 12 2017, 10:44 PM) *
QUOTE (RioTheBallBoy @ Sep 12 2017, 10:40 PM) *
Completely gutted. We more than deserved a draw tonight and it seemed as if we played really well. In typical Chester fashion through, we concede just before half time, then make a mistake for Gateshead to score a last-gasp winner. Hats off to everyone who travelled up tonight. Must feel ridiculously dejected. Typical Chester, aye!

Correction ,we made 3 mistakes not 1 . So no we didnt deserve a draw .

Well I was at the game, and I came away feeling that we deserved a draw. I felt that the team tried to win the game, at the moment that's an improvement, didn't feel dejected at all.
However I am dejected by the doom and gloom merchants on DC, they are more depressing than the players. Give yourself a shake and a reality check, nothing is going to change in the space of 2 games, it takes time but we are moving in the right direction.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 14 2017, 06:29 AM
Post #28

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 8970

QUOTE (silverblue @ Sep 13 2017, 10:35 PM) *
QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Sep 12 2017, 10:44 PM) *
QUOTE (RioTheBallBoy @ Sep 12 2017, 10:40 PM) *
Completely gutted. We more than deserved a draw tonight and it seemed as if we played really well. In typical Chester fashion through, we concede just before half time, then make a mistake for Gateshead to score a last-gasp winner. Hats off to everyone who travelled up tonight. Must feel ridiculously dejected. Typical Chester, aye!

Correction ,we made 3 mistakes not 1 . So no we didnt deserve a draw .

Well I was at the game, and I came away feeling that we deserved a draw. I felt that the team tried to win the game, at the moment that's an improvement, didn't feel dejected at all.
However I am dejected by the doom and gloom merchants on DC, they are more depressing than the players. Give yourself a shake and a reality check, nothing is going to change in the space of 2 games, it takes time but we are moving in the right direction.

Spot on SB

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Sep 15 2017, 07:20 PM
Post #29

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

QUOTE (stortfordblue @ Sep 13 2017, 10:15 PM) *

Based on the premise that a club would struggle at best to survive without the continued patronage of one or two individuals then -

Barrow, Boreham Wood, Bromley, Dover, Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet, Fylde, Gateshead, Guiseley, Hartlepool, Macclesfield, Maidstone, Maidenhead, Orient, Torquay, Tranmere, Woking.

I would add the proviso that within this list there are several types of investor/ benefactor. For instance, Palios does seem to have a long-term plan for Tranmere to increase its turnover and lessen his financial input, likewise to an extent at Boreham Wood, Bromley and Maidstone who have all invested in 3g pitches and facilities to boost their income and reduce reliance on their owners handouts. Of the rest, Ebbsfleet's owners continue to pump millions into facilities and wage budgets - but then when you are a billionaire I suppose that just counts as chump change. Torquay are a worry given GI's sketchy track record, whilst Orient and Hartlepool's new owners do seem to have a bond with their football clubs. Wokings major benefactor also has a deep affection (as well as pockets) for the club, though as the club has supposedly been in talks for months with foreign investors, any future largesse must be in doubt. Dover have invested in accommodation near London in a bid to tempt players to sign for the club. Guiseley's new owner has persuaded Paul Cox to buy into his 5-year plan for the club, promising investment into both facilities and on the playing side (including I suspect, a lucrative 2 or 3 year deal for the new manager) with the target of promotion to the FL which is also the target at Gateshead and Fylde. Macclesfield's owner continues to want out.

This post has been edited by a view from outside: Sep 15 2017, 07:21 PM

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 16 2017, 09:11 AM
Post #30

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (a view from outside @ Sep 15 2017, 08:20 PM) *

Based on the premise that a club would struggle at best to survive without the continued patronage of one or two individuals then -

Barrow, Boreham Wood, Bromley, Dover, Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet, Fylde, Gateshead, Guiseley, Hartlepool, Macclesfield, Maidstone, Maidenhead, Orient, Torquay, Tranmere, Woking.

I would add the proviso that within this list there are several types of investor/ benefactor. For instance, Palios does seem to have a long-term plan for Tranmere to increase its turnover and lessen his financial input, likewise to an extent at Boreham Wood, Bromley and Maidstone who have all invested in 3g pitches and facilities to boost their income and reduce reliance on their owners handouts. Of the rest, Ebbsfleet's owners continue to pump millions into facilities and wage budgets - but then when you are a billionaire I suppose that just counts as chump change. Torquay are a worry given GI's sketchy track record, whilst Orient and Hartlepool's new owners do seem to have a bond with their football clubs. Wokings major benefactor also has a deep affection (as well as pockets) for the club, though as the club has supposedly been in talks for months with foreign investors, any future largesse must be in doubt. Dover have invested in accommodation near London in a bid to tempt players to sign for the club. Guiseley's new owner has persuaded Paul Cox to buy into his 5-year plan for the club, promising investment into both facilities and on the playing side (including I suspect, a lucrative 2 or 3 year deal for the new manager) with the target of promotion to the FL which is also the target at Gateshead and Fylde. Macclesfield's owner continues to want out.

The question asks about bankrolled clubs, half of your list are businessman owned but certainly are not bankrolled, Tranmere, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Macclesfield, Orient, Torquay. Most of these clubs claim to be in financial difficulties so I'm not sure about them being bankrolled, Barrows chairman took money back from the club after a couple of lucrative Transfer deals, which I believe had a bearing on Cox leaving the club, Macclesfield fans constantly Moan about the lack of investment from their Chairman, Palios at Tranmere has stated that the club must be self sufficient and sustainable, in reality there is a handful of owners who pump money into their clubs the rest try to get by.

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Sep 16 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #31

1st team regular

Member No.: 1471

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 16 2017, 10:11 AM) *

The question asks about bankrolled clubs, half of your list are businessman owned but certainly are not bankrolled, Tranmere, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Macclesfield, Orient, Torquay. Most of these clubs claim to be in financial difficulties so I'm not sure about them being bankrolled, Barrows chairman took money back from the club after a couple of lucrative Transfer deals, which I believe had a bearing on Cox leaving the club, Macclesfield fans constantly Moan about the lack of investment from their Chairman, Palios at Tranmere has stated that the club must be self sufficient and sustainable, in reality there is a handful of owners who pump money into their clubs the rest try to get by.

I think you're taking an extreme interpretation of 'bankrolled'? It simply means financially supported (in this case generally by an individual).All of the clubs listed rely on outside financial support to be where they are, even if it's not a bottomless pit of money. I guess by your interpretation the obvious recent examples would be Forest Green and Eastleigh, but Barrow and Guisley have had substantial investment recently.

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 16 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #32

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Sep 16 2017, 12:57 PM) *

I think you're taking an extreme interpretation of 'bankrolled'? It simply means financially supported (in this case generally by an individual).All of the clubs listed rely on outside financial support to be where they are, even if it's not a bottomless pit of money. I guess by your interpretation the obvious recent examples would be Forest Green and Eastleigh, but Barrow and Guisley have had substantial investment recently.

Yes of course the dictionary meaning of the word would read something like- to support a person, organization, or project financially. - however, in footballing terms my interpretation of the word would mean investment without expectation of a return, as in the examples you give, to flip this on its head you could argue by definition that Chester Fc is Bankrolled by the CFU and the Chester fans. When people talk about football clubs being " Bankrolled" , my personal imagination is of a club with a benefactor, sticking loads of wad in.

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Sep 16 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #33

1st team regular

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 16 2017, 01:47 PM) *

Yes of course the dictionary meaning of the word would read something like- to support a person, organization, or project financially. - however, in footballing terms my interpretation of the word would mean investment without expectation of a return, as in the examples you give, to flip this on its head you could argue by definition that Chester Fc is Bankrolled by the CFU and the Chester fans. When people talk about football clubs being " Bankrolled" , my personal imagination is of a club with a benefactor, sticking loads of wad in.

Essentially those other clubs are having wads of cash inputted, although we might differ on our definition of 'wads' smile.gif Not sure how you can suggest CFC is bankrolled by the CFU as it doesn't put in money per se.

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 16 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #34

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Sep 16 2017, 02:36 PM) *

Essentially those other clubs are having wads of cash inputted, although we might differ on our definition of 'wads' smile.gif Not sure how you can suggest CFC is bankrolled by the CFU as it doesn't put in money per se.

I don't have the accounts to hand, but I would have thought my £ 12.00 payment each year, went straight into the Club ?

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 16 2017, 03:08 PM
Post #35

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 16 2017, 02:47 PM) *
QUOTE (The Annexe @ Sep 16 2017, 02:36 PM) *

I don't have the accounts to hand, but I would have thought my £ 12.00 payment each year, went straight into the Club ?

I purposely use the word imagination as I have an image in my head of a National league club Bankroller, this would be a caricature version of Ray Winston, puffing a big fat cigar (Popeye style) wearing a cheap Navy Blue Suit, with Wads of Money stuffed into every pocket, sat on a green leather Chesterfield swivel office Chair in front of a mahogany desk holding his gold Blankety Blank Cheque Book and pen ( Cheque Book in one hand Pen in the other) biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Sep 16 2017, 04:14 PM
Post #36

1st team regular

Member No.: 3174

To clarify, I was primarily asking about clubs living beyond their means but it is worrying that so many are relying on one or two people to ensure their existence at such a low level of football.

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Sep 16 2017, 04:36 PM
Post #37

1st team regular

QUOTE (stortfordblue @ Sep 16 2017, 05:14 PM) *
To clarify, I was primarily asking about clubs living beyond their means but it is worrying that so many are relying on one or two people to ensure their existence at such a low level of football.

A EB pointed out, we can't know how much the bankrollers are putting in, but it may be possible to to consider where clubs would be without the additional finance. For the northern clubs we can probably make a good guess, perhaps more difficult with the southern ones. There was an interesting discussion recently on the Conference forum about why southern teams usually do better coming up from the Conf South than the promoted northern ones do, particularly since the crowds in the Conf North are generally much higher than in Conf South.

--------------------

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 17 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #38

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Sep 16 2017, 05:36 PM) *

A EB pointed out, we can't know how much the bankrollers are putting in, but it may be possible to to consider where clubs would be without the additional finance. For the northern clubs we can probably make a good guess, perhaps more difficult with the southern ones. There was an interesting discussion recently on the Conference forum about why southern teams usually do better coming up from the Conf South than the promoted northern ones do, particularly since the crowds in the Conf North are generally much higher than in Conf South.

if we were really interested we could start by having a look at their accounts, which are all in the public domain. If we have a look at Tranmeres accounts ending 2016 filed 11th April 2017 https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/.../filing-history
Having only glanced over these accounts there are a few assumptions we can make, firstly there are no directors loans or donations from the Palios family, there is an old loan account from money introduced by P Johnson some years ago, you can also deduct from the accounts, Tranmere sold some land off last year £ 3,684,306. giving them a bottom line profit of just over 2 mil this year.
I would deduct that the Palios family 2 directors and a company secretary are probably in paid roles at the club, they have recently sold of the crown jewels to keep the club afloat and are far from Bankrolling the club.

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Sep 17 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #39

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 17 2017, 02:39 PM) *

if we were really interested we could start by having a look at their accounts, which are all in the public domain. If we have a look at Tranmeres accounts ending 2016 filed 11th April 2017 https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/.../filing-history
Having only glanced over these accounts there are a few assumptions we can make, firstly there are no directors loans or donations from the Palios family, there is an old loan account from money introduced by P Johnson some years ago, you can also deduct from the accounts, Tranmere sold some land off last year £ 3,684,306. giving them a bottom line profit of just over 2 mil this year.
I would deduct that the Palios family 2 directors and a company secretary are probably in paid roles at the club, they have recently sold of the crown jewels to keep the club afloat and are far from Bankrolling the club.

The Palios family are the major shareholders of Tranmere having purchased just under 9,000,000 x50p shares in the club. They have also purchased a hotel and restuarant and have gifted all profits made to the football club.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 17 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #40

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (a view from outside @ Sep 17 2017, 03:30 PM) *

The Palios family are the major shareholders of Tranmere having purchased just under 9,000,000 x50p shares in the club. They have also purchased a hotel and restuarant and have gifted all profits made to the football club.

I knew you would know that, but buy paying a fee for the shares, they ended up with assets of more value than the fee paid, which brings us back to the question are they Bankrolling the club ?

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Sep 17 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #41

1st team regular

Tranmere and the other relegated teams are an interesting point, because it could be argued that they're bankrolled by the FL for at least two years (and these are substantial sums). The question is an interesting one but we're in danger of getting bogged down in the definition of bankrolled smile.gif My view would be that any individual/company putting in at least 50-100K is bankrolling a team, as that would have an impact on the playing staff. Money generated from advertising or other commercial activities obviously wouldn't count.

--------------------

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Sep 17 2017, 04:25 PM
Post #42

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 17 2017, 03:45 PM) *
QUOTE (a view from outside @ Sep 17 2017, 03:30 PM) *

I knew you would know that, but buy paying a fee for the shares, they ended up with assets of more value than the fee paid, which brings us back to the question are they Bankrolling the club ?

Helping to bankroll certainly, by way of the Riverhill Hotel enterprise if nothing else. My interpretation of a 'bankroller' is probably nearer to that of the Annexe than yours. Tranmere are fortunate to have assests worth millions more than the losses they carry, but then there's clubs on that list who are asset poor but carry considerable debt.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 21 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #43

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Barrows new manager is targeting the football league, (aren't we all)
http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/barrow...all-leagu-39987
I think one of the reasons Cox left was because The Chairman wouldn't let him spend the money he made on transfer fees, FGR spent 6 million plus trying to achieve FL status and still only managed it through the play-offs, does the Barrow Chairman want to throw this sort of Wonga at the club ? although if you look him up he can probably afford it http://test.cnmedia.co.uk/usa-businessman-...mbers-1.1109225. One interesting thing about Barrow, they used to be fan owned until Paul Casson came along

Average attendance just over a thousand

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Sep 21 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #44

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 21 2017, 06:35 PM) *
Barrows new manager is targeting the football league, (aren't we all)
http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/barrow...all-leagu-39987
I think one of the reasons Cox left was because The Chairman wouldn't let him spend the money he made on transfer fees, FGR spent 6 million plus trying to achieve FL status and still only managed it through the play-offs, does the Barrow Chairman want to throw this sort of Wonga at the club ? although if you look him up he can probably afford it http://test.cnmedia.co.uk/usa-businessman-...mbers-1.1109225. One interesting thing about Barrow, they used to be fan owned until Paul Casson came along

Average attendance just over a thousand

He said he expected to put a couple of million or so into the club in the first few years which he has. The last accounts show that the club 'owed' just under £2 million to creditors - almost certainly Casson. A few months ago there was a new share allocation totalling £2,500,000, which presumably is the conversion of Cassons loans into shares. He definitely does want to get the club into the FL, he says that would be a fitting tribute to his dad, who was a Barrow fan. I suspect though that he underestimated how difficult promotion to the FL would be. He still seems willing to inject more money into the club but wont throw millions more at a promotion challenge this season. I think there may be a realisation that it will probably take another season at least before they can mount a serious title challenge. As for Cox, I think he was eased out of the club. Since he quit Casson jr has appeared to criticise both the playing style and player recruitment under Cox. There have also been rumours swirling around that the Casson family was getting more and more involved on the playing side of affairs since the appointment of junior as MD, whether there was a clash of personalities in the summer I don't know. A phrase he used when talking about Micky Moore's appointment suggests there was at least some friction between the two -“Then there is the way he has been able to work with myself and the other directors, frankly getting a change of pace when it comes to honesty and openness". During pre-season the club missed out on signing several players and as you say, funds from player sales, which earlier in the year the owner had indicated would be reinvested in the budget suddently became unavailable. Following this Paul Ogden who was brought in as chief scout was promoted to the position of Head of Football Operations, a couple or so weeks later Cox resigned.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 21 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #45

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

I think its safe to say that Barrow are Bankrolled, as far as Cox is concerned the game against Barrow was by far the worst game of football I have ever witnessed, players rolling around every time there was any physical contact, it was an abysmal and disgraceful game of football, so I have to agree about the playing style and by all accounts he's now doing it at Guisley, not looking forward to that game at all.

+Quote Post
Spider Mellor Sc...
post Sep 22 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #46

1st team sub

Member No.: 11096

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 21 2017, 09:06 PM) *
I think its safe to say that Barrow are Bankrolled, as far as Cox is concerned the game against Barrow was by far the worst game of football I have ever witnessed, players rolling around every time there was any physical contact, it was an abysmal and disgraceful game of football, so I have to agree about the playing style and by all accounts he's now doing it at Guisley, not looking forward to that game at all.

A mate of mine saw Guiseley at Wrexham last week. He said the time wasting was a disgrace with numerous players rolling around in apparent agony for long periods. Cox should be banned from football as he is a serial cheat in the same way Lance Armstrong was in cycling.

This post has been edited by Spider Mellor Scores: Sep 22 2017, 04:38 PM

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 28 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #47

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

This weekends opponents, Eastleigh,
Chairman Stewart Donald reckons he has put 10 million into to club thus far, having recently completed a new state of the art clubhouse complex. Eastleigh recently boasted they have the 5th highest gate in the conference, although with Adult season ticket prices from just £ 120 a year compared with Chester's price of £ 285.00 its no wonder, they also have regular free games , this weekends offer is every season ticket holder can bring two guests free, which is in my view very unfair to away fans
verdict; BANKROLLED CLUB

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Sep 28 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #48

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

Barrow, Boreham Wood, Bromley, Dover, Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet, Fylde, Gateshead, G

uiseley, Hartlepool, Macclesfield, Maidstone, Maidenhead, Orient, Torquay, Tranmere, Woking.

Maidstone aren't bankrolled

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 29 2017, 07:56 AM
Post #49

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (shunter blue @ Sep 28 2017, 10:16 PM) *

Barrow, Boreham Wood, Bromley, Dover, Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet, Fylde, Gateshead, G

uiseley, Hartlepool, Macclesfield, Maidstone, Maidenhead, Orient, Torquay, Tranmere, Woking.

Maidstone aren't bankrolled

Yes Maidstone make a profit year on year, due to the revenue earned from their plastic pitch, you have to wonder, can they afford to go any further up the pyramid as loss in revenue may outway any benefits gained from promotion, something that would concern me if I were a Maidstone Fan.

+Quote Post
blue cestrian
post Sep 29 2017, 02:08 PM
Post #50

Youth team

Member No.: 2072

That's a fair point is it possible that Maidenhead may throw games at the end of the season to avoid promotion

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2017 - 11:26 AM