Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Sep 6 2017, 11:11 AM
Post #2

1st team regular

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 3174

Had to happen. Who do we get to replace him?

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Sep 6 2017, 11:11 AM
Post #3

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/sport/fo...er-13580072.amp

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post
ulster blue boy
post Sep 6 2017, 11:12 AM
Post #4

The North Terrace Posties are legends.
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 50

Sad for anyone losing their job but Chester FC comes first.

--------------------
IT ALL STARTED AT THE BRANDYWELL,THANKS GRANDAD.

ONCE A RANGER,ALWAYS A RANGER.(ROYAL IRISH THAT IS).
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CFU.

26/02/2010. NEED I SAY ANYMORE. I WILL. 10/03/2010. R.I.P. CCFC.

6TH MAY 2010,THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN.

EVO-STICK NORTH CHAMPIONS 2010-2011

EVO-STICK PREMIER CHAMPIONS 2011-2012

BLUE SQUARE NORTH CHAMPIONS 2012-2013

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Sep 6 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #5

1st team legend

Big brave decision needed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Sep 6 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #6

1st team legend

QUOTE (ulster blue boy @ Sep 6 2017, 12:12 PM) *

Fully agree!

--------------------

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 6 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #7

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 8970

QUOTE (ulster blue boy @ Sep 6 2017, 12:12 PM) *

my sentiments too
at the end of the day he just wasn't good enough to do the job.
lots of people are complaining that he should have gone weeks ago, but as a fan owned club we simply cant afford to be hiring and firing managers willy nilly, and I think the board were right to give him a chance, unfortunately there comes a time when the situation is no longer feasible.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 6 2017, 11:19 AM
Post #8

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

http://www.chesterfc.com/2017/09/06/statement-jon-mccarthy/

+Quote Post
blue cestrian
post Sep 6 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #9

Youth team

Member No.: 2072

Is that three managers in four years ???

+Quote Post
nicksonmatt
post Sep 6 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #10

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1289

Gutted for Jon McCarthy. I really honestly believe he was striving to get us to a better place, he just got found lacking tactically. I really hoped that he would do well for us as he was a genuinely nice character but it simply didn't work out.

Good luck with whatever you do in the future.

--------------------
Chester F.C established 21st May 2010.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 6 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #11

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (nicksonmatt @ Sep 6 2017, 12:20 PM) *
Gutted for Jon McCarthy. I really honestly believe he was striving to get us to a better place, he just got found lacking tactically. I really hoped that he would do well for us as he was a genuinely nice character but it simply didn't work out.

nicely put

+Quote Post
awaydays
post Sep 6 2017, 11:34 AM
Post #12

Squad player

Member No.: 12771

All the best to Jon. A man with genuine passion for the club and a great servant to the community trust. Best of luck to you.

(borrowed from dc2 hope they don't mind )

+Quote Post
archie thomas
post Sep 6 2017, 11:42 AM
Post #13

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 6230

CHESTER FC come first . best of luck .

--------------------
dances with wolfs
we whistled and we sang till the sealand end rang and we won the heart of the sealand end.

champions 2010-2011 champions 2011-12 champions 2012-13

high on a hill stood a lonely goat . higher up the hill stood a bloody big wolf. .. 0-2 TO THE PUB TEAM

134 goals .. ALABI 17 GOALS SEASON 16/17

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 6 2017, 01:04 PM
Post #14

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (blue cestrian @ Sep 6 2017, 12:20 PM) *

Jon is a genuinely nice and honest bloke, I don't think he got the breaks with injuries etc. But football can be an unforgiving game.
My main concern is, now, where do we go from here? The club cannot afford to go on hiring and firing managers, Jons two year contract will now have to be paid, not that long after we have, or are still, are paying off Steve Burr.
This is valuable money which could've been used in strengthening the playing squad, or improving the infrastructure of the club.
Whoever is given the job now, it MUST be, if possible, with a long term appointment in view.
We are as far away from returning to the Football League as ever, we can't go on as we are, unless it's realised that perhaps that it would a step too far to return to the FL.
Perhaps we are where we are, a Club that will always be a bottom third side in the Conference. Certainly our gates and income at the moment would not sustain a FL club. I think the expectations of some of our supporters far out way the realistic situation that club is in.
The club desperately needs stability from the top to the bottom, before we can move on, constant changes in the boardroom and chairmen do not make for a stable club, on or off the pitch.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Sep 6 2017, 01:07 PM
Post #15

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 6 2017, 01:58 PM) *

Jon is a genuinely nice and honest bloke, I don't think he got the breaks with injuries etc. But football can be an unforgiving game.
My main concern is, now, where do we go from here? The club cannot afford to go on hiring and firing managers, Jons two year contract will now have to be paid, not that long after we have, or are still, are paying off Steve Burr.
This is valuable money which could've been used in strengthening the playing squad, or improving the infrastructure of the club.
Whoever is given the job now, it MUST be, if possible, with a long term appointment in view.
We are as far away from returning to the Football League as ever, we can't go on as we are.

I agree, we can't continue going on as we have done. We should NEVER be offering out 2 year contracts for managers or players upfront. I hate to think how much money we have wasted paying off previous managers who were on longer than necessary contracts.

I don't buy this - well how do we entice them? And I answer by pointing you to John Askey at Macclesfield who is on a rolling 12 month contract. If it goes tits up they don't owe him more than a years worth of compensation for one.

Too many decisions made with hearts overruling heads.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
JamesDee
post Sep 6 2017, 01:50 PM
Post #16

JamesDee

Member No.: 3729

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 6 2017, 10:34 PM) *

We are as far away from returning to the Football League as ever, we can't go on as we are, unless it's realised that perhaps that it would a step too far to return to the FL.
Perhaps we are where we are, a Club that will always be a bottom third side in the Conference. Certainly our gates and income at the moment would not sustain a FL club. I think the expectations of some of our supporters far out way the realistic situation that club is in.
The club desperately needs stability from the top to the bottom, before we can move on, constant changes in the boardroom and chairmen do no make for a stable club, on or off the pitch.

Picking up on the first part of one of your sentences (shown in bold italics) but not the latter part - we haven't shown consistent Division 3 standards of play for quite a few years now and even before reformation. We need to develop sufficiently and regularly show this required standard. In addition I would like to see much more success happening each year in the FA Trophy and the FA Cup rounds than in recent years (like regularly reaching Barnsley-type quality games) - not only because it would bring in the much needed extra funding (that is one source not really tried so far) but because this would demonstrate that we are a team to be reckoned with in our current League for every game we play. Even treating the Cheshire Senior Cup more seriously too. A long run of winning games would do wonders for the club instead of this history of recent long patches of poor games and regular runs of predictable losses or draws. Losing to the likes of Altrincham and Hyde earlier was bad management and gives bad publicity - we should be wiping the floor with them if we truly mean business and have any hopes of going higher. Demonstrate that we can play consistently good entertaining and always hard trying football and winning most games and then shoot for higher up this Conference league and then you can think of trying for Division 3 because gates would be UP and big new money would becoming in. That is a three year plan from now before we could even start on a campaign to try to get back into Division 3. But first let's get settled into a more usual upper middle Conference position first after avoiding relegation this year because that is still on this years cards going on Torquay United and Solihull Moors results.

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Sep 6 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #17

1st team legend

Nice post, we can't forget what he did last season.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Sep 6 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #18

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 5404

QUOTE (Gizmo's Dad @ Sep 6 2017, 03:04 PM) *

So ,what did he do last season ? Escape relegation by the narrowest of margins ! Unfortunately we have too many supporters who will applaud anything as long as its wearing blue and white (it doesnt even have to be stripes does it ?) Until that attitude changes we will get nowhere

+Quote Post
El presidente
post Sep 6 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #19

Youth team

Member No.: 12778

He got shown as the clueless idiot that he was once Ian sharp left.

As some one else stated on the other deva chat, mcarthy was worse that T***y S***h.

+Quote Post
RioTheBallBoy
post Sep 6 2017, 04:48 PM
Post #20

1st team sub

Member No.: 12774

I'm happy that we have all been put out of our misery as our form this year has been terrrible. However, I must thank Jon for his commitment to the club over the past 3 years as he does love the club. He's a nice guy and I hope that he can get back into football quickly. At least we can all feel refreshed and look forward to Ebbsfleet now. All the best Jon.

This post has been edited by RioTheBallBoy: Sep 6 2017, 04:49 PM

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Sep 6 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #21

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

And that's why he should have gone last season!!

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Bright Blue
post Sep 6 2017, 05:15 PM
Post #22

Squad player

Member No.: 1470

Firstly, I have no problem with a 2 or 3 year contract provided it includes performance related clauses so the club can extricate itself without much expense if things go wrong. I think Moyes had a 6 year deal ar Man U but when he failed to reach Champions League his contract was terminated for a pre-determined fee, significantly less than the full value of his contract. Because most managers don't expect to be failures,they are more inclined to agree to this type of contract than one might expect.

Secondly, I agree with the decision to sack him now but whatever one might think of his abilities, or lack thereof, under him we avoided relegation twice. I don't t think keeping us up is as straight forward as many think. A new manager will not automatically ensure mid-table safety. I fear a tough season still awaits and I think as fans our targets need to be realistic. If we expect too much, all that will happen is that disappointment and bitterness will set in. How many points would be a realistic target? 54?

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 6 2017, 06:22 PM
Post #23

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

me I'm a dreamer, were going to get in the best manager since slice bread, have a trip to Wembley, promotion into the football league, and reach the semis in the FA cup... we can only dream eh ?

+Quote Post
archie thomas
post Sep 6 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #24

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 6230

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 6 2017, 07:22 PM) *
me I'm a dreamer, were going to get in the best manager since slice bread, have a trip to Wembley, promotion into the football league, and reach the semis in the FA cup... we can only dream eh ?

get to the fa cup 3rd round . draw spurs away . trip to Wembley sorted cityscarf.gif guiness.gif

--------------------
dances with wolfs
we whistled and we sang till the sealand end rang and we won the heart of the sealand end.

champions 2010-2011 champions 2011-12 champions 2012-13

high on a hill stood a lonely goat . higher up the hill stood a bloody big wolf. .. 0-2 TO THE PUB TEAM

134 goals .. ALABI 17 GOALS SEASON 16/17

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 6 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #25

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (archie thomas @ Sep 6 2017, 07:32 PM) *
QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 6 2017, 07:22 PM) *

get to the fa cup 3rd round . draw spurs away . trip to Wembley sorted cityscarf.gif guiness.gif

I'd take that biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 08:23 PM