Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SENIOR BLUES September members meeting., Friday September 1st. The Blues Bar. 11am.
Neil Fishers Big...
post Aug 29 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #1

Club Director
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2595

Our main guest for the September meeting is TIM BAXTER from NESS GARDENS. As members know, we have a visit to the gardens coming up very shortly, so as a taster for that, Tim will telling us about the history and the workings of the gardens, in preparation for our visit.

We are hoping to have a couple of players as guests as well, but as the players are leaving for TORQUAY the same day, their attendance will depend on what time the coach will be leaving.

We will be very much concentrating on, also, tying up the final details for the Race Night on SEPTEMBER 15th.
Friday is the last day before everything has to be sent to the Race Night organiser.
We are appealing to our members to support this event, firstly, if possible, to attend on the night, but most of all, to "BUY A HORSE" It costs just £5 to buy a nag, and name it, so I'm hoping members will be able to bring their fivers on Friday, so that we can get the race cards filled before meeting is over.
If you can't attend the meeting on Friday, it's possible to ring GEOFF LEITH on 01516083233 to buy a horse, this applies to non- Senior Blues members also, just £5 plus a name for your horse is all you need..
This Race Night is being organised for the Senior Blues Youth Foundation.

We have been asked by the Former Players Assoc. to suggest a name of a former player to go on the Legends Board at
the Football Club, so we shall be consulting with members for suggestions.

There will be updates on future trips and events of course, membership fees can be paid on Friday also.
Tea, Coffee and biscuits will be served as usual.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 1 2017, 03:45 PM
Post #2

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Aug 29 2017, 12:27 PM) *
Our main guest for the September meeting is TIM BAXTER from NESS GARDENS. As members know, we have a visit to the gardens coming up very shortly, so as a taster for that, Tim will telling us about the history and the workings of the gardens, in preparation for our visit.

We are hoping to have a couple of players as guests as well, but as the players are leaving for TORQUAY the same day, their attendance will depend on what time the coach will be leaving.

We will be very much concentrating on, also, tying up the final details for the Race Night on SEPTEMBER 15th.
Friday is the last day before everything has to be sent to the Race Night organiser.
We are appealing to our members to support this event, firstly, if possible, to attend on the night, but most of all, to "BUY A HORSE" It costs just £5 to buy a nag, and name it, so I'm hoping members will be able to bring their fivers on Friday, so that we can get the race cards filled before meeting is over.
If you can't attend the meeting on Friday, it's possible to ring GEOFF LEITH on 01516083233 to buy a horse, this applies to non- Senior Blues members also, just £5 plus a name for your horse is all you need..

We have been asked by the Former Players Assoc. to suggest a name of a former player to go on the Legends Board at

There will be updates on future trips and events of course, membership fees can be paid on Friday also.

Yet another successful Senior Blues meeting this morning.
A very busy Chester FC this morning with the players preparing to leave for Torquay. So we were delighted to be able have both ROSS HANNAH and HARRY WHITE as our first guests this morning.
Ross was very chirpy about his fitness, and was glad to able to tell us that he will be in the squad for tomorrow's match.
He was asked about players he looked up to, and said, that he thought Christiano Renaldo was one player he admired for his clinical finishing.
On asked about the nominated penalty taker for the team, he made the point, that it was him! He said he had no hesitation in coming back to Chester, as he likes the club and the supporters, and found it very frustrating spending so much time on the bench for Barrow last season, and I know we are all glad to see him back.
He was asked about his favourite goal for Chester, and nominated the half-volley in the 8-2 win at home against Aldershot as one of them, which I had to agree with, it was a superb finish. He is very anxious now to get his first goal for us on his return.
Harry White turned out to be a charming guest, he said he was delighted to be joining us, (instead of scoring against us, someone pointed out!)
He was asked about players he admired, and his two were, Wayne Rooney and Harry Kane, which I wasn't surprised, as I think he is a Kane type player.
Like Ross, he wants to start scoring goals as soon as he is fit, he has found his injury a very frustrating start to the season.
He said he he has moved up to live in Chester with his girlfriend, and said he loved the city, and already has been taking in the sights. He has already walked walls!
A really nice bloke, so let's wish him well and hopefully, we will see him playing again sooner rather than later. Both players were made very welcome by the Members, so I'm sure we will have them back again.
JON McCARTHY said a brief words to our members, which was very much appreciated by all of us who were there, as I know he was very busy sorting out all the final details for the Torquay trip.
Everyone wished him and the team good luck for the next two matches.

Geoff then stood up to give details about the two forthcoming trips to Ness Gardens on the 28th, and the "Dead Sea Scrolls" exhibition at Chester Cathedral on September 20th. I will be posting reminders on here before the dates.
Peter and Geoff and Mark were very busy during the morning, tying up the final details of the RACE NIGHT in the Blues Bar, on Friday September 15th starting at 7pm. A big thank you to all our race sponsors, and to everyone who sponsored a horse.

Our main guest was TIM BAXTER from NESS GARDENS, who gave a very very interesting talk, with slides, about all the history of the Botanical gardens, the original founders and all the work that goes on at Ness.
Plants from all around the World have, and are still nurtured at the grounds, most of which would not be able to grow elsewhere.
We were shown a very large selection of slides of plants, shrubs, and flowers and trees, a lot that can only grow in the Ness area because of the mild climate on the Wirral. He gave his talk with great humour, and certainly whetted our appetite for our visit in a couple of weeks.

I would like to thank all the volunteer members who rallied around this morning, in Wendy's absence, to help with the raffle. Also a big thank you to the volunteer members who organised the tea, coffee and biscuits.

--------------------

+Quote Post
manchester blue
post Sep 1 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #3

Squad player

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 9815

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 1 2017, 04:45 PM) *

A very busy Chester FC this morning with the players preparing to leave for Torquay. So we were delighted to be able have both ROSS HANNAH and HARRY WHITE as our first guests this morning.
Ross was very chirpy about his fitness, and was glad to able to tell us that he will be in the squad for tomorrow's match.
He was asked about players he looked up to, and said, that he thought Christiano Renaldo was one player he admired for his clinical finishing.
On asked about the nominated penalty taker for the team, he made the point, that it was him! He said he had no hesitation in coming back to Chester, as he likes the club and the supporters, and found it very frustrating spending so much time on the bench for Barrow last season, and I know we are all glad to see him back.
He was asked about his favourite goal for Chester, and nominated the half-volley in the 8-2 win at home against Aldershot as one of them, which I had to agree with, it was a superb finish. He is very anxious now to get his first goal for us on his return.
Harry White turned out to be a charming guest, he said he was delighted to be joining us, (instead of scoring against us, someone pointed out!)
He was asked about players he admired, and his two were, Wayne Rooney and Harry Kane, which I wasn't surprised, as I think he is a Kane type player.
Like Ross, he wants to start scoring goals as soon as he is fit, he has found his injury a very frustrating start to the season.
He said he he has moved up to live in Chester with his girlfriend, and said he loved the city, and already has been taking in the sights. He has already walked walls!
A really nice bloke, so let's wish him well and hopefully, we will see him playing again sooner rather than later. Both players were made very welcome by the Members, so I'm sure we will have them back again.
JON McCARTHY said a brief words to our members, which was very much appreciated by all of us who were there, as I know he was very busy sorting out all the final details for the Torquay trip.

Geoff then stood up to give details about the two forthcoming trips to Ness Gardens on the 28th, and the "Dead Sea Scrolls" exhibition at Chester Cathedral on September 20th. I will be posting reminders on here before the dates.
Peter and Geoff and Mark were very busy during the morning, tying up the final details of the RACE NIGHT in the Blues Bar, on Friday September 15th starting at 7pm. A big thank you to all our race sponsors, and to everyone who sponsored a horse.

Our main guest was TIM BAXTER from NESS GARDENS, who gave a very very interesting talk, with slides, about all the history of the Botanical gardens, the original founders and all the work that goes on at Ness.
Plants from all around the World have, and are still nurtured at the grounds, most of which would not be able to grow elsewhere.
We were shown a very large selection of slides of plants, shrubs, and flowers and trees, a lot that can only grow in the Ness area because of the mild climate on the Wirral. He gave his talk with great humour, and certainly whetted our appetite for our visit in a couple of weeks.

I would like to thank all the volunteer members who rallied around this morning, in Wendy's absence, to help with the raffle. Also a big thank you to the volunteer members who organised the tea, coffee and biscuits.

good news .was a player picked for the hall of fame ?

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 1 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #4

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (manchester blue @ Sep 1 2017, 04:52 PM) *

We have asked our members to nominate one, we have decided that the one that gets the most votes will be added to the Legends wall. We've had some very interesting suggestions though. Someone suggested Barry Butler, for those who remember him, a player who played in every position for Chester, including goalkeeper. Another suggestion was John Danby who played over 200 games for the club, and would be only the second goalkeeper on the Legends wall if elected.

--------------------

+Quote Post
El presidente
post Sep 1 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #5

Youth team

Member No.: 12778

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 1 2017, 05:34 PM) *

We have asked our members to nominate one, we have decided that the one that gets the most votes will be added to the Legends wall. We've had some very interesting suggestions though. Someone suggested Barry Butler, for those who remember him, a player who played in every position for Chester, including goalkeeper. Another suggestion was John Danby who played over 200 games for the club, and would be only the second goalkeeper on the Legends wall if elected.

I wonder who suggested Danby?

+Quote Post
sealandkopite
post Sep 1 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #6

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 7864

QUOTE (El presidente @ Sep 1 2017, 08:04 PM) *

Tough one that......

+Quote Post
Pritchard
post Sep 4 2017, 08:56 AM
Post #7

Did you know I'm utterly insane?

Member No.: 1117

QUOTE (sealandkopite @ Sep 1 2017, 11:13 PM) *

Tough one that......

Do any of you people realise that you needn't quote the post you are replying to if you are answering the last post on the thread?

Otherwise you end up in this ridiculous situation. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Statistically, 13 out of 13 triskaidekaphobics won't like this joke . .

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Sep 4 2017, 09:19 AM
Post #8

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 8970

like you just did you mean (not me though) tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Pritchard
post Sep 4 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #9

Did you know I'm utterly insane?

Member No.: 1117

QUOTE (Pritchard @ Sep 4 2017, 09:56 AM) *
QUOTE (sealandkopite @ Sep 1 2017, 11:13 PM) *

Tough one that......

Do any of you people realise that you needn't quote the post you are replying to if you are answering the last post on the thread?

Otherwise you end up in this ridiculous situation. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Sep 4 2017, 10:19 AM) *
like you just did you mean (not me though) tongue.gif

Ahh yes well done! Finally someone has managed to reply without quoting the entire thread laugh.gif

--------------------
Statistically, 13 out of 13 triskaidekaphobics won't like this joke . .

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Sep 4 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #10

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

Barry Butler was a workhorse journey man footballer who was famous for having the Onion Bag sponsor his shorts. As for outfield players in goal, Mark Came played a full game in goal away at Scarborough once, kept a clean sheet in a 1-0 win.

Surely we have better Hall Of Fame nominations than that biggrin.gif

Billy Stewart
Brian Croft
John Kelly
Dave Pugh
Neil Young
Jesse James
et al...

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
AGL
post Sep 4 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #11

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2356

QUOTE (NWAS @ Sep 4 2017, 10:37 AM) *
Barry Butler was a workhorse journey man footballer who was famous for having the Onion Bag sponsor his shorts. As for outfield players in goal, Mark Came played a full game in goal away at Scarborough once, kept a clean sheet in a 1-0 win.

Billy Stewart
Brian Croft
John Kelly
Dave Pugh
Neil Young
Jesse James
et al...

Nothing against Butler and a few of the above but surely there comes a time when the hall of fame is deemed full, otherwise it diminishes the whole concept.
As NWAS says Butler was a wholehearted player but wouldn't put him anywhere near the likes of Storton and Rimmer in Chester history.

This post has been edited by AGL: Sep 4 2017, 09:45 AM

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 4 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #12

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Member No.: 91

Can you say who is already on the Legends Board please, save us nominating them again.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 4 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #13

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (3mm @ Sep 4 2017, 11:00 AM) *

Can you say who is already on the Legends Board please, save us nominating them again.

Ray Gill
Grenville Millington.
Gary Talbot.
Derek Draper.
Peter Jackson.
Stuart Rimmer.
Ian Jenkins.
Daryl Clare.
Mike Metcalf.
Elfed Morris.
George Horgan.
Michael Wilde.
Ronnie Hughes.
Milton Graham.
Ken Roberts.
Harry McNally.
Graham Barrow.
Graham Abel.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Sep 4 2017, 01:42 PM
Post #14

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 4 2017, 02:30 PM) *

Ray Gill
Grenville Millington.
Gary Talbot.
Derek Draper.
Peter Jackson.
Stuart Rimmer.
Ian Jenkins.
Daryl Clare.
Mike Metcalf.
Elfed Morris.
George Horgan.
Michael Wilde.
Ronnie Hughes.
Milton Graham.
Ken Roberts.
Harry McNally.
Graham Barrow.
Graham Abel.

Should add:

Wayne Brown - for his continued loyal service during our darkest years as CCFC, being rewarded with that Conference title.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 4 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #15

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Ray Gill
Grenville Millington.
Gary Talbot.
Derek Draper.
Peter Jackson.
Stuart Rimmer.
Ian Jenkins.
Daryl Clare.
Mike Metcalf.
Elfed Morris.
George Horgan.
Michael Wilde.
Ronnie Hughes.
Milton Graham.
Ken Roberts.
Harry McNally.
Graham Barrow.
Graham Abel.

For me the glaring omission from that list is Trevor Storton, the finest player I've seen in a Chester shirt by a country mile.

--------------------

+Quote Post
archie thomas
post Sep 4 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #16

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 6230

I am sure TREVOR STORTONS in the hall of fame . rolleyes.gif

--------------------
dances with wolfs
we whistled and we sang till the sealand end rang and we won the heart of the sealand end.

champions 2010-2011 champions 2011-12 champions 2012-13

high on a hill stood a lonely goat . higher up the hill stood a bloody big wolf. .. 0-2 TO THE PUB TEAM

134 goals .. ALABI 17 GOALS SEASON 16/17

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 4 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #17

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

QUOTE (archie thomas @ Sep 4 2017, 03:47 PM) *
I am sure TREVOR STORTONS in the hall of fame . rolleyes.gif

You would certainly think so! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Almost Blue
post Sep 4 2017, 03:07 PM
Post #18

1st team captain

Member No.: 2954

Trevor Storton must be . . . he's on the calendar.

http://www.chester-city.co.uk/cfccalendar.asp

--------------------
English Corner, Harry Mac Terrace - since 1992.

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Sep 4 2017, 05:31 PM
Post #19

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

QUOTE (NWAS @ Sep 4 2017, 10:37 AM) *

Billy Stewart
Brian Croft
John Kelly
Dave Pugh
Neil Young
Jesse James
et al...

I have to agree if we are mentioning Barry Butler in the legends category then we have run out of real legends.
Great list from NWAS, I would also like to see Alan Oakes in the list.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Sep 5 2017, 07:43 AM
Post #20

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

The fact that Neil Young is not in the hall of fame is a situation that should be rectified immediately

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 5 2017, 07:50 AM
Post #21

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (3mm @ Sep 4 2017, 03:43 PM) *

Ray Gill
Grenville Millington.
Gary Talbot.
Derek Draper.
Peter Jackson.
Stuart Rimmer.
Ian Jenkins.
Daryl Clare.
Mike Metcalf.
Elfed Morris.
George Horgan.
Michael Wilde.
Ronnie Hughes.
Milton Graham.
Ken Roberts.
Harry McNally.
Graham Barrow.
Graham Abel.

For me the glaring omission from that list is Trevor Storton, the finest player I've seen in a Chester shirt by a country mile.

He was one of the first, apologies.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 5 2017, 07:52 AM
Post #22

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (3mm @ Sep 4 2017, 03:43 PM) *

Ray Gill
Grenville Millington.
Gary Talbot.
Derek Draper.
Peter Jackson.
Stuart Rimmer.
Ian Jenkins.
Daryl Clare.
Mike Metcalf.
Elfed Morris.
George Horgan.
Michael Wilde.
Ronnie Hughes.
Milton Graham.
Ken Roberts.
Harry McNally.
Graham Barrow.
Graham Abel.
Trevor Storton.

--------------------

+Quote Post
El presidente
post Sep 5 2017, 03:19 PM
Post #23

Youth team

Member No.: 12778

QUOTE (NWAS @ Sep 5 2017, 08:43 AM) *
The fact that Neil Young is not in the hall of fame is a situation that should be rectified immediately

Have to agree. The man brought us 3 championships in a row and still no place on the legends wall for him, but John (can't kick a ball straight or handle any crosses) Danby is in with a shout.

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 5 2017, 03:49 PM
Post #24

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Got 3 of the famous 5, might as well add the other two, Jimmy Humes and Hughie Ryden.

Also Brian Green, our 74/75 coach and mastermind of our first ever promotion and League Cup Semi-Final run. Brian sadly passed away in 2012 but would be a worthy addition to the Chester legends.

--------------------

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Sep 5 2017, 03:51 PM
Post #25

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

QUOTE (NWAS @ Sep 5 2017, 08:43 AM) *

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChesterFC/status...636704583098368

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 10:44 PM