Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RioTheBallBoy
post Aug 28 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #2

1st team sub

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

Such a shame that we can't celebrate our success at Aldershot for long as we are back in action today against Macclesfield. Saying that, we need to get that home monkey off our back, and today is a great opportunity to do so. With a healthy crowd expected I, along with many others, are praying to get that home win which can change our season. It needs to come very soon, but if we play like we did in the second half at Aldershot for the WHOLE game then that belated home win should come. Us fans have a big part to play. From the first minute our players need our support right until the last minute. No booing, no groaning as they may feel under pressure, but if we all stay together and get behind them for the entire match then we can help them to a very important victory. Come On Blue Boys
Score: Chester FC (Dawson, Mahon) 2-1 Macclesfield Town
Attendance: 2,241 (376 Macclesfield)
COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue

+Quote Post
Notts Blue
post Aug 28 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Exiled in Nottingham
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 664

COYB, another win to push on. Tuning in again from ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ท sunny Corfu with a ๐Ÿบnext to the ๐Ÿ–.

--------------------
Venimus ! Vidimus! Vicimus!

+Quote Post
awaydays
post Aug 28 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #4

Squad player

Member No.: 12771

Oh dear what a shambles

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 28 2017, 04:11 PM
Post #5

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 5404

QUOTE (awaydays @ Aug 28 2017, 05:07 PM) *
Oh dear what a shambles

It must have been ,if even you are admitting it .

+Quote Post
RioTheBallBoy
post Aug 28 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #6

1st team sub

Member No.: 12774

Deary me! Same old tactics, similar excuses, oh... and Ryan Astles ended up playing up front ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ฎ. I honestly can't believe how we are still surviving with JM in charge. Macclesfield overplayed us today and deserved the win, albeit with a released Chester player in their ranks whilst 3 of their best players of last season in our team. However, we should be winning against a club of Macclesfield's resources (although it wasn't a surprise to see us lose). Winning our next 2 away games would be good, but I want to see a proud win at HOME for once, in front of us loyal fans. It's as if the Deva has turned into purgatory for us. That's how bad our performances at home have been since last year. There was about 2,000 Chester fans down here today, which is great but sadly, we are bound to lose 400 for our next home game after another dire showing. Today was a perfect opportunity to entice the 'floating' supporters back, but we've lost them again.
We have two must-win games coming up against struggling opposition. Anything less than 4 points will not be good enough.
I'm really looking forward to going to Torquay on Saturday, but at the same time I want to see us go all-out and win the game. Frustrating to watch today, but at least we play away on Saturday ๐Ÿ˜.

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 28 2017, 06:28 PM
Post #7

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

I want to hear what Richard, Annexe and the like have to say about that today.

Before you start that's not meant sarcastically either.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 28 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #8

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Aug 28 2017, 07:28 PM) *

A part of me would like to hear what excuses they can offer , if only for its amusement value . Sadly it has now gone beyond a joke . Even the Chair of the Exlies has gone quiet . I doubt if he has any support left beyond the super-fans on the board of directors .

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Aug 28 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #9

1st team regular

Member No.: 1471

Thankyou. I don't do emotive one-liners, but as to the game, it was very disappointing to watch even in the difficult circumstances. A very flat performance, where we weren't winning any second-balls and therefore got very little going. One could be forgiven for thinking we were only going through the motions in the second half, it was that flat. We've struggled all season when the opposition is picking up all the second-balls. James was my MOM, for the effort he put in. A more detailed view on the match isn't really worth it when the team was so flat.
Sadly I'm not sure what people think they will achieve by booing the team. I get the frustration, but it's never helped any side I've seen. The Harry Mac, though, was making a valiant effort to get things going,

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 28 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #10

I'm not Irish!

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Aug 28 2017, 08:31 PM) *

Thankyou. I don't do emotive one-liners, but as to the game, it was very disappointing to watch even in the difficult circumstances. A very flat performance, where we weren't winning any second-balls and therefore got very little going. One could be forgiven for thinking we were only going through the motions in the second half, it was that flat. We've struggled all season when the opposition is picking up all the second-balls. James was my MOM, for the effort he put in. A more detailed view on the match isn't really worth it when the team was so flat.
Sadly I'm not sure what people think they will achieve by booing the team. I get the frustration, but it's never helped any side I've seen. The Harry Mac, though, was making a valiant effort to get things going,

They weren't booing the team. They were booing McCarthy.

I think we all recognise that there is a team in there dying to get out. Don't make the mistake the boos were aimed at the players. They're aimed at one man alone.

So what next for you? How do the club move forward?

However much we like Jon as a person, I think his days are numbered, and he knows it himself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Aug 28 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #11

1st team regular

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Aug 28 2017, 09:05 PM) *
QUOTE (The Annexe @ Aug 28 2017, 08:31 PM) *

They weren't booing the team. They were booing McCarthy.

I think we all recognise that there is a team in there dying to get out. Don't make the mistake the boos were aimed at the players. They're aimed at one man alone.

So what next for you? How do the club move forward?

However much we like Jon as a person, I think his days are numbered, and he knows it himself.

I can only assume you think there's money available to pay off JM, pay a new manager and all the new players he'll want. The players JM brought in fit the way he wants the team to play, and I for one am sceptical that the transformation everyone thinks will happen once JM is gone, will in fact be that easy. The club is striving for stability and progress on and off the field, it doesn't have a sugar-daddy to pick up the bill and drastically change direction on a whim. The 'get JM out' campaign has been going on for about four games and we've only played six so far!
Booing, however directed affects players, and I heard a number of calls directed at individual players.
There may come a time when the board should seriously review the way things are going on the playing side, but to start calling for it a couple of matches into the season seems out of line with the club's aspirations. You obviously disagree, but if the club is to thrive (nay survive) it needs to work in a considered fashion based on its long term goals and not be diverted by every immediate problem. I can't help being reminded of the saying 'be careful what you wish for'.

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
chester2004
post Aug 28 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #12

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 12773

players was not booed it was aimed at 1 man only that was jm if you have twitter the fans have given players 100% support

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Aug 28 2017, 08:55 PM
Post #13

1st team regular

QUOTE (chester2004 @ Aug 28 2017, 09:48 PM) *
players was not booed it was aimed at 1 man only that was jm if you have twitter the fans have given players 100% support

And you think that doesn't affect the players?

--------------------

+Quote Post
toto
post Aug 28 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #14

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 314

His position will be untenable if we don't win a home game soon and the Board will hope he will walk, to avoid a payout. I for one have said 10 games are required before we pass judgement ' finally'.

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Aug 28 2017, 10:34 PM
Post #15

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

No dog in this fight but assuming McCarthy goes, who replaces him ?

This post has been edited by a view from outside: Aug 28 2017, 10:34 PM

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Aug 29 2017, 01:33 AM
Post #16

1st team regular

Member No.: 3174

I'd previously argued that he should be given more time. I think we're now at the point where things simply aren't going to get any better. Even if JM's capable of turning things round, I don't see how his position is tenable with such a large majority of the fan base vocally hostile towards him.

Some people have mentioned that we can't afford to pay him off but weren't people complaining about him being a cheap option when he got the job? Both can't be true surely.

If he goes, who do we get in to replace him? I've heard Paul Cox being mentioned but if he couldn't cope with the resources available at Barrow then he'd be no good here. Besides he plays similar football to that which we've been enduring under JM.

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 29 2017, 09:10 AM
Post #17

Reserve skipper

Whoever is chosen to be the next manager (sorry ,but its inevitable ) has to be a decent choice . The C.F.U. need to grow a pair of balls and tell the manager what is required and not be afraid to interfere if things arent going to plan . We have now given 3 managers an easy ride ,never questioning their methods . We are the owners of this football club and we need to take the lead . Players werent fit to start the season .Why wasnt anyone monitoring this situation ? Why has Tom Shaw been allowed to sit on his a**e in the dugout and do even less than he did in the first year of his contract ? Why did the club allow McCarthy to give Chappel another contract ? Never again should a manager be awarded anything more than a one year rolling contract because the club simply cant afford it .

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 29 2017, 09:50 AM
Post #18

I'm not Irish!

Sack him and get on the phone to Graham Barrow.

Well respected coach, vastly experienced manager, still does not suffer fools at his age now. Bring him in, and allow him to sort out this bloody mess.

If you want to unite the fan base, bring back the man who epitomises everything Chester FC is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 29 2017, 12:11 PM
Post #19

I'm not Irish!

QUOTE (a view from outside @ Aug 28 2017, 11:34 PM) *

No dog in this fight but assuming McCarthy goes, who replaces him ?

Graham Barrow

--------------------

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Aug 29 2017, 12:21 PM
Post #20

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 8970

QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Aug 28 2017, 07:38 PM) *

A part of me would like to hear what excuses they can offer , if only for its amusement value . Sadly it has now gone beyond a joke . Even the Chair of the Exlies has gone quiet . I doubt if he has any support left beyond the super-fans on the board of directors .

I'm sure were all pleased to be here for your amusement, Its disappointing to see some posters enjoying the failures of our club, and in particular our manager, I don't think anyone was disputing Johns poor run of results, so I cant see how anyone can offer excuses for this, what some have been saying is that, after making some decent signings over the summer he surely deserves a fair crack of the whip, and my argument has always been that he hasn't had this yet. John has put a lot of effort into this club over the years and to just brush him aside is just not on, however having said that there comes a time when the powers that be have to decide what is best for the club going forward, personally I would give him another three games, but MM & the Board will have to publically back him for this to work. I am very surprised John has not looked to the loan market to sort out his striker problems perhaps this demonstrates his lack of experience as a manager, we seem to be lacking in leadership at the moment, from the manager, CEO and the board, someone needs to take control of the situation, back him or sack him time I'm afraid

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 29 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #21

I'm not Irish!

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Aug 29 2017, 01:21 PM) *

I'm sure were all pleased to be here for your amusement, Its disappointing to see some posters enjoying the failures of our club, and in particular our manager, I don't think anyone was disputing Johns poor run of results, so I cant see how anyone can offer excuses for this, what some have been saying is that, after making some decent signings over the summer he surely deserves a fair crack of the whip, and my argument has always been that he hasn't had this yet. John has put a lot of effort into this club over the years and to just brush him aside is just not on, however having said that there comes a time when the powers that be have to decide what is best for the club going forward, personally I would give him another three games, but MM & the Board will have to publically back him for this to work. I am very surprised John has not looked to the loan market to sort out his striker problems perhaps this demonstrates his lack of experience as a manager, we seem to be lacking in leadership at the moment, from the manager, CEO and the board, someone needs to take control of the situation, back him or sack him time I'm afraid

No-one is amused by our shocking run of form and performances in general, especially not me.

This is serious stuff. If he stays in charge we risk being cut off from the rest of the league. Other sides below are picking up points. Torquay are expecting to announce Paul Cox as manager by the weekend, Hartlepool won their first game under Craig Harrison yesterday. Clubs are making changes already to address their poor starts, or are starting to gel and pick up points.

It's never nice to sack a manager, who obviously cares about the club, but there can never, and should never be room for niceties when it comes to this club. He's won 4 points out of 42 at home since December last year. On that alone he needs to be sacked. I posted the above because I wanted to hear what their opinions were on the situation, it's always interesting to listen to opinions that differ to your own, even if you vehemently disagree with them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Aug 29 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #22

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 8970

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Aug 29 2017, 01:39 PM) *
QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Aug 29 2017, 01:21 PM) *

No-one is amused by our shocking run of form and performances in general, especially not me.

This is serious stuff. If he stays in charge we risk being cut off from the rest of the league. Other sides below are picking up points. Torquay are expecting to announce Paul Cox as manager by the weekend, Hartlepool won their first game under Craig Harrison yesterday. Clubs are making changes already to address their poor starts, or are starting to gel and pick up points.

It's never nice to sack a manager, who obviously cares about the club, but there can never, and should never be room for niceties when it comes to this club. He's won 4 points out of 42 at home since December last year. On that alone he needs to be sacked. I posted the above because I wanted to hear what their opinions were on the situation, it's always interesting to listen to opinions that differ to your own, even if you vehemently disagree with them.

On this we certainly agree, seeing posters having a different point of view certainly gives a more balanced perspective, and is definitely more interesting

+Quote Post
Pauline M
post Aug 29 2017, 06:29 PM
Post #23

Chair - Chester Exiles
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 921

Well here I am. I haven't actually gone quiet but quite frankly have not really felt it worthwhile since the 'Eastenders style' DevaChat2 was formed which has successfully split the fanbase.

What I will say though is, that although yesterday's performance was more than disappointing to watch, I am very concerned about a lot of things at our club not just the manager. I worry that a lot of fans just don't get the fans owned model. If we want a table topping team and a world beating manager then we have ALL got to do more to achieve this. We have got to find the funds for them and we have got to do a lot more collectively as supporters to make it all happen. I think a lot of supporters are still in denial of us being a Fans Owned Club and just don't get that what we are doing is building a solid foundation for a club that can be sustainable.

On match days we have a brilliant team of volunteers who turn up regardless to open up the ground, sell us programmes, serve us meals, entertain the opposition, host sponsors and the mascots families, sell 50:50 tickets, serve us beer, make announcements, act as stewards and ball boys, serve in the Club shop, sell tickets, sell away travel tickets, serve tea and coffees, take photos, carry out media interviews, get the dressing rooms ready and the kits etc etc. I worry about them - do they get worn down by all this negativity and when they have had enough where will our club be then???

This is a big worry as yesterday, I didn't see one programme seller around the ground so had to buy my programme in the shop, there wasn't a steward on our steps (I was worried about a fan who was feeling a bit unwell), for the second time running the 50:50 winning tickets were very close (do they all get put in and shaken up??), no-one is collecting ยฃ1 in the Blues Bar - surely there should be some crowd control and this is a source of revenue. There is only one person on the car park gate(despite a lot of comments last season) which means that people will get fed up parking and the longer it takes us to get into the ground the less money we can spend.

My Mum said that if we look after the pennies then the pounds will look after themselves. But are we looking after the pennies to allow those that look after the pounds do their job properly????

I know I am saying this from the safety of Cambridge and regretably unable to do much on match days to help even if I want to but I can communicate and I would like more communication from within about what needs doing and where the gaps are that many of us may find a few minutes a week to help.

Yes I am concerned about things on the pitch and I despise the vitriol that Jon McCarthy is having to put up with. However, there are better ways of expressing our concerns to those that run the club than shouting at someone who is as human as you and me. Shame on those that do.

--------------------
Join the Chester Exiles and have fun as we climb back to where we belong.

+Quote Post
manchester blue
post Aug 29 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #24

Squad player

Member No.: 9815

a sensible post .well said . rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Aug 29 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #25

1st team regular

Thankyou Pauline. I think you've captured the thoughts of a number of us.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 10:32 PM