Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> sympathy for the manager, are the gods against him ?
EltonblueS
post Aug 21 2017, 06:50 AM
Post #1

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 8970

Am I the only one who has sympathy for our manager, Solihull Game called off, three strikers injured ?
Firstly if the Solihull game was played and we had of won we most certainly would be in a different position today possibly got more out of the Fylde game and perhaps more from the Halifax game, on Saturday, second half, we were excellent, and did not deserve to lose the game. Hopefully the manager will see we are a much better team with the ball on the ground and abandon these kick and rush tactics which are just not working. I may be eating my own words in a couple of weeks but I would say this, the most successful manager of all time was one game away from being sacked, now I'm not sure how many games our manager has left but I really believe he is the man for the Job and will turn it around .
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 21 2017, 08:49 AM
Post #2

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 5404

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Aug 21 2017, 07:50 AM) *
Am I the only one who has sympathy for our manager, Solihull Game called off, three strikers injured ?
Firstly if the Solihull game was played and we had of won we most certainly would be in a different position today possibly got more out of the Fylde game and perhaps more from the Halifax game, on Saturday, second half, we were excellent, and did not deserve to lose the game. Hopefully the manager will see we are a much better team with the ball on the ground and abandon these kick and rush tactics which are just not working. I may be eating my own words in a couple of weeks but I would say this, the most successful manager of all time was one game away from being sacked, now I'm not sure how many games our manager has left but I really believe he is the man for the Job and will turn it around .

No ,i think that guy from the supporters trust will agree with you and probably Hugh Jass also (whatever became of him? )

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 21 2017, 09:02 AM
Post #3

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

"Footballing Gods"

Sorry but there's no such thing. You make your own luck in this game. Sorry EB, but his days are numbered. He's had 8 months to get it right at home. I think I ready somewhere that our form since Christmas is bottom of the table material. 14 points from 70 on offer? I might be a few digits out on that but nevertheless that is completely unacceptable, and in any other position at any other club he would be out of the door.

He's had enough time to address the wrongs from last season, he's still persisting with this boring negative rubbish which is even more depressing to watch than the dross we were served up during the 2nd half of last season despite us having the biggest budget we've had since reformation, and signing some proper quality, experienced conference players.

He needs to go, and go before the weekend.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
El presidente
post Aug 21 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #4

Youth team

Member No.: 12778

Even if we had all strikers fully fit it would make no difference. McCarthy just wants to park the bus and not concede goals, treats a draw like a win.

He is at the point of no return for many fans.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 21 2017, 09:44 AM
Post #5

I'm not Irish!

QUOTE (El presidente @ Aug 21 2017, 10:33 AM) *

Even if we had all strikers fully fit it would make no difference. McCarthy just wants to park the bus and not concede goals, treats a draw like a win.

If he 'Parked the Bus' and kept us solid and effective then I wouldn't mind, but he can't even park the bloody bus properly

--------------------

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 21 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #6

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Aug 21 2017, 10:44 AM) *
QUOTE (El presidente @ Aug 21 2017, 10:33 AM) *

If he 'Parked the Bus' and kept us solid and effective then I wouldn't mind, but he can't even park the bloody bus properly

He remembered to take the fares from the passengers though !

+Quote Post
Jimianto
post Aug 21 2017, 11:55 AM
Post #7

Come On City!
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 1243

Sad to say that his number is now up. He has become more and more conservative over the last 9 months and he's squeezed out most of the entertainment from our team performances. Setting up 'not to lose' at home is not acceptable. Plus it has worked only 3 times out of the last 12 league games, with zero wins a 0-3-9 home record since New Year's Eve 0-3-10 if you include the Trophy Game vs FGR, where the first team played.

It would be virtually inconceivable that a team with such a record would do enough away from home to avoid relegation positions in this league. OK, our results are likely to improve to a degree, but the negative trend and atrocious win record in 2017 cannot be ignored.

NWAS made a great suggestion on the other forum. Rather than pay him off, get Macca in the community and helping with the development of the youth lads. He's a decent, enthusiastic bloke and has got a lot to offer, but the manager's job is just too big for him.

I think the board needs to act now. If we meander too far into this season, crowds will drop off and our position could be difficult to turn around with the limited resources available.

+Quote Post
Hugh Jass
post Aug 21 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #8

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2181

QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Aug 21 2017, 08:49 AM) *

No ,i think that guy from the supporters trust will agree with you and probably Hugh Jass also (whatever became of him? )

Bless, after all this time you still hold a candle for me. Still around but got bored of people like you moaning for moanings sake. In answer to the OP, I have no sympathy for our current manager, we were excellent second half Saturday as the players gave up on McCarthys stupid tactics and played how they wanted. The sooner he goes the better. Is that wanted you wanted Barney?

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 21 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #9

Reserve skipper

Yes J@@@ , Still swanning around in your suit ?

+Quote Post
Hugh Jass
post Aug 21 2017, 01:50 PM
Post #10

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2181

QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Aug 21 2017, 02:39 PM) *
Yes J@@@ , Still swanning around in your suit ?

Swanning around where in my suit?

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Aug 22 2017, 11:35 AM
Post #11

1st team regular

Member No.: 3174

QUOTE (Hugh Jass @ Aug 21 2017, 02:30 PM) *
QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Aug 21 2017, 08:49 AM) *

Bless, after all this time you still hold a candle for me. Still around but got bored of people like you moaning for moanings sake. In answer to the OP, I have no sympathy for our current manager, we were excellent second half Saturday as the players gave up on McCarthys stupid tactics and played how they wanted. The sooner he goes the better. Is that wanted you wanted Barney?

Mahony stated in the video released today that that was not the case. I'd have thought that was obvious anyway from the way Macca & Shaw were both shouting at the players from the touchline.

This post has been edited by stortfordblue: Aug 22 2017, 11:35 AM

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Aug 22 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #12

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Neil Aspin, a very capable manager sacked by Halifax 17th September 2015 after a very bad run. I thought at the time that he was very capable of turning it around, but they sacked him and Gave the Job to Jim Harvey, who after spending a few quid got them relegated, so with Hindsight was sacking Neil Aspin the right thing to do ? They got relegated anyway. And Neil Aspin Got a job with Gateshead in the Conference !

In January 2014, we Sacked a very capable manager Neil Young and replaced him with Steve Burr, who then took us down, yes we got relegated and then reprieved by Hereford/ Salisbury who got kicked out of the league due to financial problems. So was sacking Neil Young the right decision ? And at what cost ?

There's a trend here, Sacking managers does not work , its costly and foolish, lets stick with what we've got and hope we can turn things around

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Aug 22 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #13

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Aug 22 2017, 02:11 PM) *
Neil Aspin, a very capable manager sacked by Halifax 17th September 2015 after a very bad run. I thought at the time that he was very capable of turning it around, but they sacked him and Gave the Job to Jim Harvey, who after spending a few quid got them relegated, so with Hindsight was sacking Neil Aspin the right thing to do ? They got relegated anyway. And Neil Aspin Got a job with Gateshead in the Conference !

In January 2014, we Sacked a very capable manager Neil Young and replaced him with Steve Burr, who then took us down, yes we got relegated and then reprieved by Hereford/ Salisbury who got kicked out of the league due to financial problems. So was sacking Neil Young the right decision ? And at what cost ?

There's a trend here, Sacking managers does not work , its costly and foolish, lets stick with what we've got and hope we can turn things around

It wasn't financial problems, they bought players they couldn't afford to pay, they cheated their way to survival.

I would have every sympathy for JM too if fans were on his back after just 4 matches, but we have seen from last season that he simply isn't up to it by himself.
The vast majority of the unbeaten run we were on last season was when Ian Sharps was in the dugout, it is no surprise he has gone on to a bigger club and JM is struggling with a team near the foot of the conference.

The guy has an awful lot to offer this football club, unfortunately being the manager isn't one of them, he has to go if results don't improve in the next three or four games.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
AGL
post Aug 22 2017, 03:03 PM
Post #14

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2356

Not arguing with the sentiment but arguably sacking Steve Burr saved the club from oblivion. You are being rather selective.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Aug 22 2017, 03:23 PM
Post #15

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (AGL @ Aug 22 2017, 04:03 PM) *

Not arguing with the sentiment but arguably sacking Steve Burr saved the club from oblivion. You are being rather selective.

Yes but that was at the end of the season with very few games left and when it was clear there was no way forward, my selective examples are towards the start of the season where the seasons conclusions are still relatively an unknown quantity, to this day I still think Neil Young was about to turn fortunes around and with hindsight I think he was a better manager for a fan owned club than I wanna be on the golf course Burr.

+Quote Post
Deva Chanter
post Aug 22 2017, 03:45 PM
Post #16

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4436

This isn't entirely correct. Jim Harvey did not replace Neil Aspin, he replaced Darren Kelly who lost 7 of his first 10 matches in charge and had them rooted and cut adrift at the bottom of the Conference. Jim Harvey did a tremendous job in almost keeping them up given that they were being completely written off before he was appointed. He also led them to victory in the FA Trophy.

This post has been edited by Deva Chanter: Aug 22 2017, 03:52 PM

--------------------
The first casualty of war is the truth.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 22 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #17

I'm not Irish!

QUOTE (Deva Chanter @ Aug 22 2017, 04:45 PM) *

This isn't entirely correct. Jim Harvey did not replace Neil Aspin, he replaced Darren Kelly who lost 7 of his first 10 matches in charge and had them rooted and cut adrift at the bottom of the Conference. Jim Harvey did a tremendous job in almost keeping them up given that they were being completely written off before he was appointed. He also led them to victory in the FA Trophy.

Beat me to it.

I was about to say the same thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Aug 22 2017, 04:51 PM
Post #18

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Aug 22 2017, 04:56 PM) *

Beat me to it.

yes your right of course, but the point I was making is that they sacked Neil Aspin and went down anyway

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Aug 22 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #19

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Aug 22 2017, 05:51 PM) *

Beat me to it.

yes your right of course, but the point I was making is that they sacked Neil Aspin and went down anyway

And the premier league champions sacked their God of a manager the next season and the caretaker manager kept them up, so your point is....

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
GazCCFC
post Aug 22 2017, 10:17 PM
Post #20

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 733

The difference is that JM is not a very capable manager - history proves that, therefore I don't see your point.

This post has been edited by GazCCFC: Aug 22 2017, 10:18 PM

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Aug 23 2017, 08:03 AM
Post #21

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Aug 22 2017, 10:15 PM) *

Beat me to it.

And the premier league champions sacked their God of a manager the next season and the caretaker manager kept them up, so your point is....

some years ago Manchester United Did Not Sack there manager, who then went on to be the most successful manager in history, the point is Sacking the manager is not always the answer, we've played four games and people are calling for his head, ridiculous

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 23 2017, 08:46 AM
Post #22

I'm not Irish!

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Aug 23 2017, 09:03 AM) *

Beat me to it.

some years ago Manchester United Did Not Sack there manager, who then went on to be the most successful manager in history, the point is Sacking the manager is not always the answer, we've played four games and people are calling for his head, ridiculous

How many times do you need it explaining?

We are judging him on his record over the last 8 months.

If we were showing some signs of improvement from the past 8 months then I would give him more time. But if anything we have been WORSE over the majority of those 4 games. We aren't displaying any signs of improvement whatsoever.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Aug 23 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #23

1st team regular

Member No.: 1471

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Aug 23 2017, 09:46 AM) *
QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Aug 23 2017, 09:03 AM) *

Beat me to it.

How many times do you need it explaining?

We are judging him on his record over the last 8 months.

If we were showing some signs of improvement from the past 8 months then I would give him more time. But if anything we have been WORSE over the majority of those 4 games. We aren't displaying any signs of improvement whatsoever.

I think he understands you very well. He simply has a different view of things, a concept you seem to have trouble with. smile.gif

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
Derry Blue
post Aug 23 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #24

I am Irish!

Member No.: 11668

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Aug 21 2017, 09:02 AM) *
"Footballing Gods"

Sorry but there's no such thing. You make your own luck in this game. Sorry EB, but his days are numbered. He's had 8 months to get it right at home. I think I ready somewhere that our form since Christmas is bottom of the table material. 14 points from 70 on offer? I might be a few digits out on that but nevertheless that is completely unacceptable, and in any other position at any other club he would be out of the door.

He's had enough time to address the wrongs from last season, he's still persisting with this boring negative rubbish which is even more depressing to watch than the dross we were served up during the 2nd half of last season despite us having the biggest budget we've had since reformation, and signing some proper quality, experienced conference players.

He needs to go, and go before the weekend.

Agree absolutely.

+Quote Post
awaydays
post Aug 24 2017, 09:07 PM
Post #25

Squad player

Member No.: 12771

He won't be going before the weekend, some people seem to want him to fail, can't get me head round that one

This post has been edited by awaydays: Aug 24 2017, 09:07 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 06:56 PM