Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fickle fans, Do not deserve a team to support
sumosteve
post Aug 20 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #1

Debut

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12213

1600 home fans is a disgrace, a fan owned club, need every bit of money you can get, and you turn your back on the club when the going gets tough, half of you don't deserve a club to support, you should be happy you have got a team to go and support, win lose or draw, as long as the players are trying and giving all they can, you should be behind them, I have come away from a match thinking, what a s**t game ie against Halifax, but you know what, they are MY team , I think myself lucky to have a team to support, and will carry on supporting them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
El presidente
post Aug 20 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #2

Youth team

Member No.: 12778

QUOTE (sumosteve @ Aug 20 2017, 11:29 PM) *
1600 home fans is a disgrace, a fan owned club, need every bit of money you can get, and you turn your back on the club when the going gets tough, half of you don't deserve a club to support, you should be happy you have got a team to go and support, win lose or draw, as long as the players are trying and giving all they can, you should be behind them, I have come away from a match thinking, what a s**t game ie against Halifax, but you know what, they are MY team , I think myself lucky to have a team to support, and will carry on supporting them.

guiness.gif blink.gif

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Aug 20 2017, 11:59 PM
Post #3

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

August 27 2016

Chester 4-0 Sutton
Attendance 1625

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 21 2017, 08:00 AM
Post #4

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 5404

QUOTE (a view from outside @ Aug 21 2017, 12:59 AM) *

August 27 2016

Chester 4-0 Sutton
Attendance 1625

There are 2 reasons for that attendance . Sutton are perceived ( correctly ) by most of our support to be a village team and the other reason is because since we got promoted to the National league we have punched well below our weight so the extra 800/1000 fans have stayed away .

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Aug 21 2017, 08:27 AM
Post #5

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 8970

Having stuck up for the manager once again I do have agree, playing poor kick and rush football does NOT make for good entertainment, especially if your no good at it, second half against Sutton was good entertaining football, and I rather see us play like that and lose than the drab we put out against Halifax, in short playing unentertaining football is just not commercially viable.

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 21 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #6

Reserve skipper

Having viewed the highlights i came to the conclusion that we wouldnt have beaten an Evo Stik team with that performance . I shudder at the thought of how bad the rest of the game might have been . Totally unacceptable .

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 21 2017, 08:56 AM
Post #7

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Aug 21 2017, 09:38 AM) *
Having viewed the highlights i came to the conclusion that we wouldnt have beaten an Evo Stik team with that performance . I shudder at the thought of how bad the rest of the game might have been . Totally unacceptable .

First Half I would agree with you, but then a 30min spell in the second half and we dominated. They had the 'goal' disallowed and Sutton lost the plot. Their number 8 and number 16 were both particularly vocal towards the ref and in my opinion were lucky to get away without a caution.

We had the momentum after Dawson's goal, Sutton were on the ropes yet we let them right back in it. Yes Chappell was muscled off the ball too easily (again) but then there were easily enough of our players back to cut out a pass or put their bodies on the line to stop them breaking through the middle. Looking back at the replay, it looks like McCombe wanted the rest of the defence to step up and play the offside trap, yet Astles, Halls, and LRT were static. McCombe reacts angrily to all 3 once the ball goes in.

For the last 10minutes we were either dead on our feet or McCarthy had them trying to see the game out and take a point. Sorry but when we had them at 2-2 we should have gone at them for the third not sat back. Game went flat, we lost the momentum, and let them back into it reverting to the negative hoofball rubbish.

We've witnessed this every other week now since last December, and he STILL persists on playing this shocking excuse of a system. When we get the ball down and play we look a decent side who can cause teams problems - see the first half v Fylde and 30min v Sutton the other day as evidence. I personally like the bloke, I think he's a nice bloke to chat to about football, but, he's out of his depth as a manager. He is tactically clueless, the team has no shape and no width, we are a defensively minded side who cannot defend..

It is time for McCarthy to go. Board need to sit down and negotiate the release from his contract asap so we can move on and get someone in (Gary Brabin in my opinion) who can get this side organised, and who isn't afraid of telling this lot how it is.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 21 2017, 09:13 AM
Post #8

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Aug 21 2017, 09:56 AM) *

First Half I would agree with you, but then a 30min spell in the second half and we dominated. They had the 'goal' disallowed and Sutton lost the plot. Their number 8 and number 16 were both particularly vocal towards the ref and in my opinion were lucky to get away without a caution.

We had the momentum after Dawson's goal, Sutton were on the ropes yet we let them right back in it. Yes Chappell was muscled off the ball too easily (again) but then there were easily enough of our players back to cut out a pass or put their bodies on the line to stop them breaking through the middle. Looking back at the replay, it looks like McCombe wanted the rest of the defence to step up and play the offside trap, yet Astles, Halls, and LRT were static. McCombe reacts angrily to all 3 once the ball goes in.

For the last 10minutes we were either dead on our feet or McCarthy had them trying to see the game out and take a point. Sorry but when we had them at 2-2 we should have gone at them for the third not sat back. Game went flat, we lost the momentum, and let them back into it reverting to the negative hoofball rubbish.

We've witnessed this every other week now since last December, and he STILL persists on playing this shocking excuse of a system. When we get the ball down and play we look a decent side who can cause teams problems - see the first half v Fylde and 30min v Sutton the other day as evidence. I personally like the bloke, I think he's a nice bloke to chat to about football, but, he's out of his depth as a manager. He is tactically clueless, the team has no shape and no width, we are a defensively minded side who cannot defend..

It is time for McCarthy to go. Board need to sit down and negotiate the release from his contract asap so we can move on and get someone in (Gary Brabin in my opinion) who can get this side organised, and who isn't afraid of telling this lot how it is.

Agree with everything you say . Unfortunately ,there are people at the club who are prepared to accept second best . Sadly ,J.M. cant even be regarded as second best so what does it say about the level of ambition at boardroom level ? On-field performances have been largely poor now for 3 seasons leading to an acceptance of the majority of those still going to games that this is our level and we are lucky to be in this league with all these big teams !

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 21 2017, 09:20 AM
Post #9

I'm not Irish!

There should never just be 'acceptance' and just gratefulness that we have a club to support at all.

You know what, we're all thankful for the work we all put in and the money we all put in together to get this club started off, but that doesn't mean any of us should just accept things for the way they are. We should be striving to be the best at everything we do. That means on and off the field. Being brave, not being afraid to make the tough decisions, being bold at home on the field and taking the game to teams.

It all feels so 'meh'

--------------------

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 21 2017, 09:31 AM
Post #10

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Aug 21 2017, 10:20 AM) *
There should never just be 'acceptance' and just gratefulness that we have a club to support at all.

You know what, we're all thankful for the work we all put in and the money we all put in together to get this club started off, but that doesn't mean any of us should just accept things for the way they are. We should be striving to be the best at everything we do. That means on and off the field. Being brave, not being afraid to make the tough decisions, being bold at home on the field and taking the game to teams.

It all feels so 'meh'

Thats exactly how the last 3 seasons have felt . And this season is already looking like the worst yet with players weakly jogging around the pitch making half hearted attempts to win the ball . If my opinion makes my fickle in the eyes of some supporters then i am proud to be fickle .

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Aug 21 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #11

1st team regular

Member No.: 1471

Another topic hijacked by the lynch mob sad.gif

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
El presidente
post Aug 21 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #12

Youth team

Member No.: 12778

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Aug 21 2017, 11:43 AM) *

I notice you went the senior blues meeting a couple of weeks ago, you have been clearly mesmorised by the man with his rousing speeches. The fact the results do not lie, this imbecile will have us relegated infront of a threadbare crowd if the board do not act now.

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 21 2017, 10:49 AM
Post #13

Reserve skipper

Unfortunately for you . The lynch mob (your words ) are in the majority .If you are happy (presumably ) with the way things are you could always go and watch Airbus . Cheaper to get in too !

+Quote Post
1 Paul Carden
post Aug 21 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #14

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1481

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Aug 21 2017, 08:56 AM) *

Absolutely spot on. We set up to not concede but have gaping holes right through the team. We are way too rigid which means as soon as the other team does something out of the ordinary like overlap or break from midfield we look extremely vulnerable.

--------------------
City Fans United

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 21 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #15

I'm not Irish!

Sorry but do you not think it fair that McCarthy comes in for criticism after going 8 months and STILL without a win on home soil? And it's not necessarily that we haven't won either, we don't look like winning. We seem to be set up for games like we're playing Arsenal away in the FA Cup. Everyone sitting deep, trying to frustrate the opposition for the first 15-20min then trying to feed the forwards with a big long hopeful hoof down the pitch. There is little to no width in the way we play the game, although for 20-30min second half we started to get the full backs involved, but again, they get the ball over the halfway line and there are NO OPTIONS down the line nor is there one of the 3 centre mids looking to offer themselves for a quick 1-2 in order to get the full back into space. (Halls on 4 occasions 2nd half on Saturday). The negative tactics our manager has applied to this side stink. This is a side who can play good football when they are allowed to. I was prepared to give him a clean slate this season with the signings he made in the summer, hoping for a positive change in the way we play, excited to see Ross and Kingsley back, intrigued by the signing of Harry White as well, and I felt entertained during that first half v Fylde.

At what point will you look at it, look at the performances and say - this guy is taking us backwards. Because let me tell you, everything I have seen last season, and so far this, is telling me we have got worse not better, this is despite him being given an improved budget on last season, and an increase in the number of backroom staff to help get the players prepared for each game. Didn't he said, we were almost Premier League in the way we were working these players off the field? Yet we look distinctly like an amateur team at times, throwing every man back to defend a corner when we're losing 1-0 at home in the first half of the game. Do we have to be at Christmas and x amount of points adrift at the bottom of the league before you say he needs to go? Because I tell you now, it will be too late by then. Once Halifax, Fylde and Hartlepool find their feet and pick up a few wins we could find ourselves marooned at the bottom and having to play catch up with the rest of the league.

This is not a lynch-mob, these are passionate supporters of this football club who have followed it for years, who have seen this all too often before and know where - if the board don't act immediately - we are headed if he remains in charge. You should respect our right to have our say on it, as I am sure you would wish those critical of McCarthy to be respectful of your views.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Aug 21 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #16

1st team regular

QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Aug 21 2017, 11:49 AM) *

Unfortunately for you . The lynch mob (your words ) are in the majority .If you are happy (presumably ) with the way things are you could always go and watch Airbus . Cheaper to get in too !

At least I went to the game. The day football is only played on the internet is the day I'll stop supporting this team. Knocking things down is easy, whereas building and maintaining them is usually left to the so-called 'happy clappers'.

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 21 2017, 06:00 PM
Post #17

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Aug 21 2017, 06:25 PM) *

At least I went to the game. The day football is only played on the internet is the day I'll stop supporting this team. Knocking things down is easy, whereas building and maintaining them is usually left to the so-called 'happy clappers'.

I bet you were one of the 400 that turned up for CCFCs last game

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Aug 21 2017, 06:41 PM
Post #18

1st team regular

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Aug 21 2017, 12:50 PM) *

Sorry but do you not think it fair that McCarthy comes in for criticism after going 8 months and STILL without a win on home soil? And it's not necessarily that we haven't won either, we don't look like winning. We seem to be set up for games like we're playing Arsenal away in the FA Cup. Everyone sitting deep, trying to frustrate the opposition for the first 15-20min then trying to feed the forwards with a big long hopeful hoof down the pitch. There is little to no width in the way we play the game, although for 20-30min second half we started to get the full backs involved, but again, they get the ball over the halfway line and there are NO OPTIONS down the line nor is there one of the 3 centre mids looking to offer themselves for a quick 1-2 in order to get the full back into space. (Halls on 4 occasions 2nd half on Saturday). The negative tactics our manager has applied to this side stink. This is a side who can play good football when they are allowed to. I was prepared to give him a clean slate this season with the signings he made in the summer, hoping for a positive change in the way we play, excited to see Ross and Kingsley back, intrigued by the signing of Harry White as well, and I felt entertained during that first half v Fylde.

At what point will you look at it, look at the performances and say - this guy is taking us backwards. Because let me tell you, everything I have seen last season, and so far this, is telling me we have got worse not better, this is despite him being given an improved budget on last season, and an increase in the number of backroom staff to help get the players prepared for each game. Didn't he said, we were almost Premier League in the way we were working these players off the field? Yet we look distinctly like an amateur team at times, throwing every man back to defend a corner when we're losing 1-0 at home in the first half of the game. Do we have to be at Christmas and x amount of points adrift at the bottom of the league before you say he needs to go? Because I tell you now, it will be too late by then. Once Halifax, Fylde and Hartlepool find their feet and pick up a few wins we could find ourselves marooned at the bottom and having to play catch up with the rest of the league.

This is not a lynch-mob, these are passionate supporters of this football club who have followed it for years, who have seen this all too often before and know where - if the board don't act immediately - we are headed if he remains in charge. You should respect our right to have our say on it, as I am sure you would wish those critical of McCarthy to be respectful of your views.

Thankyou for offering an expanded opinion / explanation of your viewpoint. There are two comments I would offer.
Firstly, JM has a very clear way of how he wants us to play and has brought in the players to effect this. He has a back four of principally defenders, no converted wide men to attack down the flanks, and two holding midfielders in front of them. He has opted for pace up front, which essentially means playing the channels (something that suited Alabi last season and also the strikers he's brought in this season). The two wide midfielders are key to the attacking game, and at present are a little unbalanced because Dawson is essentially a mid-fielder and drifts too far inside. Bringing in a new manager without also bringing in new players may produce more attacking play but is likely to simply expose our lack of pace at the back. Also, it appeared to me, the key to the improved second half performance on Saturday was that we were picking up a lot of second-balls and hence were able to play through the two wide men (which is also, I believe, how JM wants it to be played). When this happens then the full backs can be more active, which was also happening second-half Saturday. This team isn't built to be a free-flowing footballing side, although it has the ability to play an attractive passing game. The play of the two wide mid-fielders and the two strikers is crucial and will determine how successful this team is.
Secondly, it's a widely touted criticism that this is simply a continuation of the second half of last season's failed tactics, and that they don't work. Certainly the poor home form is not only disappointing but affects the home crowds. But I don't recall any criticism of the way we played in 2016 when JM was in charge (and successful), and his fundamental tactics haven't changed since he took over.
As an aside, there has been much comment about pulling all eleven players back for a corner, but this was a tactic I noticed a number of the top sides using last season. It surprised me then and, although I can't say I'm overly convinced by it, I can understand the logic. Also, keeping games tight for the first 30 mins or so is a common tactic of the top sides, and we watched it often enough when winning the Conference in 2005(?) - it drew similar criticism then.
Trying to drive JM out after only four games is likely to be counter productive, in that we can't afford a new manager plus the new players he'll want. However disappointing results/performances are at present it will be better to get behind the players. The only time to consider changing managers will be if JM loses the dressing room, and I'm not seeing any signs of that at present.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Aug 21 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #19

1st team regular

QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Aug 21 2017, 07:00 PM) *
QUOTE (The Annexe @ Aug 21 2017, 06:25 PM) *

I bet you were one of the 400 that turned up for CCFCs last game

Was that another game you watched on the internet?

--------------------

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Aug 21 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #20

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

I thought second half on Saturday was good and very entertaining, and we were very very unlucky not to get out from the game, but that's football when the chips are down lady luck will be against you. firstly I think he's had a bit of bad luck, with the Solihull game getting called off and now having three injured strikers, secondly we are four games in, personally, and I am probably alone with this thought, I don't think its the right time to sack him, if I were in the manager sacking hot seat I would give him till the end of September, and I would tell him that the fans at home demand positive entertaining football, in fact if I were MM I would tell him its not commercially viable to play anything other than positive entertaining football. I cant see how we can do anything other than give him more time tbh

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Aug 21 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #21

1st team regular

QUOTE (El presidente @ Aug 21 2017, 11:48 AM) *

I notice you went the senior blues meeting a couple of weeks ago, you have been clearly mesmorised by the man with his rousing speeches. The fact the results do not lie, this imbecile will have us relegated infront of a threadbare crowd if the board do not act now.

Hmmm ... 'mesmorised' ... don't think I've ever been accused of that before. rolleyes.gif
It was interesting to hear his philosophy though, particularly when it confirmed what was evident on the pitch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
archie thomas
post Aug 21 2017, 09:39 PM
Post #22

1st team captain
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 6230

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Aug 21 2017, 09:54 PM) *
QUOTE (El presidente @ Aug 21 2017, 11:48 AM) *

Hmmm ... 'mesmorised' ... don't think I've ever been accused of that before. rolleyes.gif
It was interesting to hear his philosophy though, particularly when it confirmed what was evident on the pitch.

i cant even say it this time of night guiness.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
dances with wolfs
we whistled and we sang till the sealand end rang and we won the heart of the sealand end.

champions 2010-2011 champions 2011-12 champions 2012-13

high on a hill stood a lonely goat . higher up the hill stood a bloody big wolf. .. 0-2 TO THE PUB TEAM

134 goals .. ALABI 17 GOALS SEASON 16/17

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Aug 21 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #23

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

It's so easy to come on here or the other forums, and slag of the manager, sack the manager, off with his head, the managers crap, he hasn't got a clue blah blah blah. Hang on a minute it wasn't so long ago when a lot of people were saying what a great appointment this was, smart guy, hardworking, attention to detail so on so on. Four games in and were all panicking, don't get me wrong I,m as disappointed as the next man, but can we really judge this season after four games ? We don't have a sugar daddy who can hire and fire managers as the mood takes, we are a fan owned club where every penny counts so talks of firing the manager this early in the season are simply nonsensical, hopefully JM can work out the problems and turn things around he's done it before !

+Quote Post
paulus103
post Aug 21 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #24

Debut

Member No.: 11862

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Aug 21 2017, 10:20 PM) *
It's so easy to come on here or the other forums, and slag of the manager, sack the manager, off with his head, the managers crap, he hasn't got a clue blah blah blah. Hang on a minute it wasn't so long ago when a lot of people were saying what a great appointment this was, smart guy, hardworking, attention to detail so on so on. Four games in and were all panicking, don't get me wrong I,m as disappointed as the next man, but can we really judge this season after four games ? We don't have a sugar daddy who can hire and fire managers as the mood takes, we are a fan owned club where every penny counts so talks of firing the manager this early in the season are simply nonsensical, hopefully JM can work out the problems and turn things around he's done it before !

Agree 100% with above

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 22 2017, 12:23 AM
Post #25

I'm not Irish!

I and others aren't judging him on 4 games. We're judge him on his record since the slump started last December!!!

I have seen little to no evidence that McCarthy has any idea how to resolve that.

Yes for 30 min in that second half we played the ball around and got back into the game and then what did we do last 15??

We reverted to type and tried to see the game out and take the point instead of using the momentum we had at that point and going for the win.

That is my problem with him. The negative hoofball, the tactical naivety from set pieces, and then the cuckold act of trying to just settle for a point at home.

I don't really take much stock in what he says It's media, I prefer to watch how we perform on the field and assess him on that.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 09:19 AM