EltonblueS
post Jul 20 2017, 12:21 PM
Post #1

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 8970

http://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/1782...new-season.aspx

I have read the article in the leader and I believe the message JM is trying to say is "lets all be positive together we can achieve good things next season". However with a headline like
"Chester FC fans must 'lose the negativity' ahead of new season"
portrays John as being the negative one, but he actually doesn't say that at all, surely the local press are not hanging him out to dry this early in the season are they ?
A couple of weeks ago we had a headline of Jon McCarthy warns fans not to raise expectations 'too high' his quote was taken out of context, here is his actual quote
“If it goes on resources we’d be right down there, but if it goes on the quality of our fans then we’d be in the play-offs, they are fantastic for us when they want to be. The hard work and ethic is here, we have a system and we’ve brought some better players on.
“I want the fans to be realistic, don’t raise expectations too high. But believe me, there’s no one more passionate about Chester than I am, I’ve been here a long time and no one lives it more than me.

For me I like John Mccarthy he gets the ethos of the club, he s had many roles and fully understands where this club is coming from, of course you will get your doom mongers in the press and on fans forums (especially that other one biggrin.gif )
I think hes asking us all to be positive so you get my vote on that one John cityscarf.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Jul 20 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #2

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 5404

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Jul 20 2017, 01:21 PM) *
http://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/1782...new-season.aspx

I have read the article in the leader and I believe the message JM is trying to say is "lets all be positive together we can achieve good things next season". However with a headline like
"Chester FC fans must 'lose the negativity' ahead of new season"
portrays John as being the negative one, but he actually doesn't say that at all, surely the local press are not hanging him out to dry this early in the season are they ?
A couple of weeks ago we had a headline of Jon McCarthy warns fans not to raise expectations 'too high' his quote was taken out of context, here is his actual quote
“If it goes on resources we’d be right down there, but if it goes on the quality of our fans then we’d be in the play-offs, they are fantastic for us when they want to be. The hard work and ethic is here, we have a system and we’ve brought some better players on.
“I want the fans to be realistic, don’t raise expectations too high. But believe me, there’s no one more passionate about Chester than I am, I’ve been here a long time and no one lives it more than me.

For me I like John Mccarthy he gets the ethos of the club, he s had many roles and fully understands where this club is coming from, of course you will get your doom mongers in the press and on fans forums (especially that other one biggrin.gif )
I think hes asking us all to be positive so you get my vote on that one John cityscarf.gif

Sorry Elton ,you can try dressing it up all you like but his exact words in inverted commas are critical of both the club and the fans . If the team hadnt been so poor since we got promoted we would have got better attendances and had more money in the budget so the fact we have so little to spend is down to poor team management since we got promoted . Frankly he should shut his mouth and get on with the job we pay him so handsomely to do

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Jul 20 2017, 03:43 PM
Post #3

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

Let's give the squad a chance, we got eight 8 new players who have not played a full game together as yet so I think when then gel we will have top half side!

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jul 20 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #4

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 203

The mood on the other forum is very much that he's stuck his foot in it here. The mood pre-season has been very positive and I'm not sure quite why he needed to drag last season back up. Everyone's just been reminded now of how poor we've been since Christmas and how odd his interviews have been. It shows him to be a bit thin-skinned and insecure really.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Jul 21 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #5

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

It seems to me that he is being lined up to be shot down, especially by some of the Wrexham based press, the season hasn't even started and hes getting a kicking, god help us if we lose the first three games Sometimes as supporters we have to be Supporters, I agree he probably should have chose his words better, but the press didn't do him any favours did they ? That headline could have said John Mcarthy wants us all to be positive, but then we wouldn't all be talking about it would we?

I'm feeling Very positive about next season, were going to need some luck, and John has to go to work on our tactics, especially when we are in possession, he must work on dead ball situations, throw ins and free kicks were just awful last year, but I believe he is a smart guy, and hopefully can see where things went wrong and correct them accordingly.
So like Gizmos dad says, lets give them a chance before we start Knocking them, without getting too carried away, I'm predicting a top 7 finish

+Quote Post
Burrfect
post Jul 21 2017, 10:14 AM
Post #6

Squad player

Member No.: 11919

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Jul 21 2017, 08:37 AM) *
It seems to me that he is being lined up to be shot down, especially by some of the Wrexham based press, the season hasn't even started and hes getting a kicking, god help us if we lose the first three games Sometimes as supporters we have to be Supporters, I agree he probably should have chose his words better, but the press didn't do him any favours did they ? That headline could have said John Mcarthy wants us all to be positive, but then we wouldn't all be talking about it would we?

I'm feeling Very positive about next season, were going to need some luck, and John has to go to work on our tactics, especially when we are in possession, he must work on dead ball situations, throw ins and free kicks were just awful last year, but I believe he is a smart guy, and hopefully can see where things went wrong and correct them accordingly.
So like Gizmos dad says, lets give them a chance before we start Knocking them, without getting too carried away, I'm predicting a top 7 finish
. I do love common sense, well done that man. Or Lady😀.

+Quote Post
Bright Blue
post Jul 21 2017, 11:28 AM
Post #7

Squad player

Member No.: 1470

QUOTE (XWWB @ Jul 20 2017, 05:07 PM) *
The mood on the other forum is very much that he's stuck his foot in it here. The mood pre-season has been very positive and I'm not sure quite why he needed to drag last season back up. Everyone's just been reminded now of how poor we've been since Christmas and how odd his interviews have been. It shows him to be a bit thin-skinned and insecure really.

I read the article and I think the headline is a reasonable one in light of all his quoted words. There is a lot of outrage on the other forum. But the other forum does outrage very well. I remember towards the end of last season folks wanted rid of:
- most if not all of the players
- the manager
- the assistant manager
- the chairman
- the board
- the club secretary
- the CEO
- the operations committee
- fans who did not share their level of fury
- the senior blues
- and even the ball boy

Sometimes a few voices make a lot of noise and I would hope that most fans have a more balanced outlook.

I do find it ironic that the fans who dish out all manner of personal and targeted abuse and bile are often the same fans who get extremely offended if some generalized comment regarding the fan base is made and is not to their liking.

+Quote Post
awaydays
post Jul 21 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #8

Squad player

Member No.: 12771

Love it

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Jul 21 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #9

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bright Blue @ Jul 21 2017, 12:28 PM) *

I read the article and I think the headline is a reasonable one in light of all his quoted words. There is a lot of outrage on the other forum. But the other forum does outrage very well. I remember towards the end of last season folks wanted rid of:
- the manager
- the assistant manager
- the chairman
- the board
- the club secretary
- the CEO
- the senior blues
- and even the ball boy

Sometimes a few voices make a lot of noise and I would hope that most fans have a more balanced outlook.

I do find it ironic that the fans who dish out all manner of personal and targeted abuse and bile are often the same fans who get extremely offended if some generalized comment regarding the fan base is made and is not to their liking.

good post BB, not sure Dave Powell would have used them headlines at the moment but I like your other comments, its so easy to be critical of everyone and everything, so I thought it was about time someone started to give a more positive outlook on matters.

+Quote Post
Richard
post Jul 21 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #10

1st team regular

Member No.: 3477

- the manager
- the assistant manager
- the chairman
- the board
- the club secretary
- the CEO
- the senior blues
- and even the ball boy

Agree with this. I know that dissatisfaction has been simmering with some and it didn't take much for all the frustrations to come to the fore. But, at the end of the day we are all Blues fans and I hope we can generate a good deal more positivity going forward to the new season.

+Quote Post
Richard
post Jul 21 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #11

1st team regular

Member No.: 3477

Good post.

I've said it before, but the press do us no favours and if I was Jon, I would want to see any proposed articles prior to publication. If left to print what they like, it will often focus on what they believe is more sensational, take things out of order and context and effectively twist words.

+Quote Post
RioTheBallBoy
post Jul 21 2017, 02:56 PM
Post #12

1st team sub

Member No.: 12774

- the manager
- the assistant manager
- the chairman
- the board
- the club secretary
- the CEO
- the senior blues
- and even the ball boy

Really?

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Jul 21 2017, 09:49 PM
Post #13

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (Richard @ Jul 21 2017, 02:11 PM) *

Good post.

I've said it before, but the press do us no favours and if I was Jon, I would want to see any proposed articles prior to publication. If left to print what they like, it will often focus on what they believe is more sensational, take things out of order and context and effectively twist words.

Interesting to see someone wanted rid of the Senior Blues! What a shame, in about a week, I shall be revealing how much the Senior Blues has raised in over 5 years of our existence, and given to the football club. Without us, a valuable fundraising organisation would be lost, apart from the fact, that every month a lot of people enjoy our meetings and trips.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jul 22 2017, 11:41 AM
Post #14

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

Good post.

They haven't put words in his mouth though. Whether he was dealt a loaded question or not I don't know, but that's how he chose to answer it. I'd much rather hear him say something like "we know the end of last season wasn't good enough but we're determined to put it behind us, and we ask the fans to get behind us for a new campaign etc etc."

With 10 points collected since the turn of the year, and all but one home game ending in defeat during that time, he can't really come out and demand that we "lose the negativity". He's being negative here himself. The mood on both forums has been good, we've sold over 1,000 season tickets, we've got a great new website and secured some great sponsorship deals, and all in all it's been a very positive summer. Mark Maguire must be very disappointed to see the manager choose to speak out about "an element" of negativity, and drag up a period that most of us were prepared to draw a line under.

He's probably got a point that the atmosphere at games could be more supportive at times, but if what the odd person is saying on forums and social media is keeping him awake at night, he's in the wrong job. For the record, I'm not offended or insulted by his comments, but I do think they're ill-judged. I worry that he's not learning, and feel that he comes across as defensive and insecure.

+Quote Post
Bob Shell
post Jul 22 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #15

Squad player

Member No.: 6797

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Jul 21 2017, 09:49 PM) *

Good post.

Interesting to see someone wanted rid of the Senior Blues! What a shame, in about a week, I shall be revealing how much the Senior Blues has raised in over 5 years of our existence, and given to the football club. Without us, a valuable fundraising organisation would be lost, apart from the fact, that every month a lot of people enjoy our meetings and trips.

I haven't been to many Senior Blues meeting, but when I have I have found them informative, entertaining and very sociable, a great way to spend a couple of hours. Long may they continue and thanks to the SB committee for all their hard work.

This post has been edited by Bob Shell: Jul 22 2017, 11:55 AM

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Jul 22 2017, 12:56 PM
Post #16

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bob Shell @ Jul 22 2017, 12:52 PM) *

Good post.

I haven't been to many Senior Blues meeting, but when I have I have found them informative, entertaining and very sociable, a great way to spend a couple of hours. Long may they continue and thanks to the SB committee for all their hard work.

Thank you Bob, hope to see you at the August meeting.
Regarding Jon McCarthy, yes I think he is a sensitive bloke, but I don't criticise him for that, some us are not as "hard skinned" as others
Jon came under a lot of abuse and criticism from the forums last season, some people can let that kind of thing go over their head, some can't.
Jon is in a "no win" situation, he is in charge of a part-time team in a League that is rapidly becoming almost full- time with every season. Let's be realistic, NO PART-TIME team has been promoted, EVER, from our League, and it is very unlikely to ever happen.
He can only bring in players who he can afford with his limited budget, but it's good to see good players wanting to play for us, which says something for the managers popularity.
We start the season on Nil points the same as every other team in the League, and yet on the basis of loss in a " friendly" game, were the players were changed around constantly, some on here are ready to have a go at him.
I know in a lot of Chester supporters make up is a feeling of foreboding and doom, having watched the club since 1961 I know the feeling well! It comes with being a Chester supporter!
That is why, when we are successful, we enjoy it all the more!
We are not going to get promoted next season, there are at LEAST Five f/t clubs who are capable of achieving that, let's be realistic.
Jons mission is to get us as high in the League as he can, and for us to be safe, (An achievement he fulfilled last season, rather early than expected) it was a very poor second half to the season, but that happens sometimes in football.
If we can get a favourable Cup draw, and possibly a good run, then great, that will be a bonus. But let's not start the season expecting SO much. We are where we are.
Positivity is just as easy to practise as is negativity, remember, we are a fans owned club, so it is up to ALL of us to try and be positive and in any way, try and a do a bit to help the the club.
Not "What the club can do for me" but "What can I do for the club"
cityscarf.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Jul 23 2017, 11:28 AM
Post #17

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (XWWB @ Jul 22 2017, 12:41 PM) *

Good post.

They haven't put words in his mouth though. Whether he was dealt a loaded question or not I don't know, but that's how he chose to answer it. I'd much rather hear him say something like "we know the end of last season wasn't good enough but we're determined to put it behind us, and we ask the fans to get behind us for a new campaign etc etc."

With 10 points collected since the turn of the year, and all but one home game ending in defeat during that time, he can't really come out and demand that we "lose the negativity". He's being negative here himself. The mood on both forums has been good, we've sold over 1,000 season tickets, we've got a great new website and secured some great sponsorship deals, and all in all it's been a very positive summer. Mark Maguire must be very disappointed to see the manager choose to speak out about "an element" of negativity, and drag up a period that most of us were prepared to draw a line under.

He's probably got a point that the atmosphere at games could be more supportive at times, but if what the odd person is saying on forums and social media is keeping him awake at night, he's in the wrong job. For the record, I'm not offended or insulted by his comments, but I do think they're ill-judged. I worry that he's not learning, and feel that he comes across as defensive and insecure.

Personally I have never been in a situation where every word I speak is analysed, but I know theres been many occasions where I've opened my mouth before putting my brain into gear, answering questions off the cuff must take great skill, I don't think John has tried to kick us in the teeth as suggested, I really believe he is trying to be positive, it just didn't come out that way.

+Quote Post
Pauline M
post Jul 23 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #18

Chair - Chester Exiles
Group Icon

Member No.: 921

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Jul 22 2017, 12:56 PM) *

Good post.

Regarding Jon McCarthy, yes I think he is a sensitive bloke, but I don't criticise him for that, some us are not as "hard skinned" as others
Jon came under a lot of abuse and criticism from the forums last season, some people can let that kind of thing go over their head, some can't.
Jon is in a "no win" situation, he is in charge of a part-time team in a League that is rapidly becoming almost full- time with every season. Let's be realistic, NO PART-TIME team has been promoted, EVER, from our League, and it is very unlikely to ever happen.
He can only bring in players who he can afford with his limited budget, but it's good to see good players wanting to play for us, which says something for the managers popularity.
We start the season on Nil points the same as every other team in the League, and yet on the basis of loss in a " friendly" game, were the players were changed around constantly, some on here are ready to have a go at him.
I know in a lot of Chester supporters make up is a feeling of foreboding and doom, having watched the club since 1961 I know the feeling well! It comes with being a Chester supporter!
We are not going to get promoted next season, there are at LEAST Five f/t clubs who are capable of achieving that, let's be realistic.
Jons mission is to get us as high in the League as he can, and for us to be safe, (An achievement he fulfilled last season, rather early than expected) it was a very poor second half to the season, but that happens sometimes in football.
If we can get a favourable Cup draw, and possibly a good run, then great, that will be a bonus. But let's not start the season expecting SO much. We are where we are.
Positivity is just as easy to practise as is negativity, remember, we are a fans owned club, so it is up to ALL of us to try and be positive and in any way, try and a do a bit to help the the club.
cityscarf.gif

I don't think negativity is unique to Chester fans, I have read and heard many other football fans of other clubs fearing the worst of their club. But like NFBF says when we do get success it is so euphoric it is worth all the pain of the disappointments.

--------------------
Join the Chester Exiles and have fun as we climb back to where we belong.

+Quote Post
El presidente
post Jul 23 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #19

Youth team

Member No.: 12778

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Jul 21 2017, 10:49 PM) *

Good post.

I think the senior blues thing was said tongue in cheek, but you never miss an opportunity to turn a thread into a senior blues love in mr chairman.

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Jul 23 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #20

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (El presidente @ Jul 23 2017, 03:42 PM) *

Good post.

I think the senior blues thing was said tongue in cheek, but you never miss an opportunity to turn a thread into a senior blues love in mr chairman.

You really do have a problem with me don't you? I hope you will introduce yourself to me, and I can find out what it is that bothers you about me.
I make NO excuses for publicising the Senior Blues, the Senior Blues is just NOT about me, I have a great committee to work with, but the main reason the Senior Blues is successful, is, because of our FANTASTIC members, that is the only reason we exist.
You are going to have to get used to it I'm afraid, I will ALWAYS defend the Senior Blues, I KNOW how hard my committee works, and I know how loyal our members are. We are approaching our sixth season, so we must be doing something right!

--------------------

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Jul 23 2017, 05:39 PM
Post #21

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Jul 23 2017, 06:32 PM) *

Good post.

You really do have a problem with me don't you? I hope you will introduce yourself to me, and I can find out what it is that bothers you about me.
I make NO excuses for publicising the Senior Blues, the Senior Blues is just NOT about me, I have a great committee to work with, but the main reason the Senior Blues is successful, is, because of our FANTASTIC members, that is the only reason we exist.
You are going to have to get used to it I'm afraid, I will ALWAYS defend the Senior Blues, I KNOW how hard my committee works, and I know how loyal our members are. We are approaching our sixth season, so we must be doing something right!

Who's committee is it?

+Quote Post
El presidente
post Jul 23 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #22

Youth team

Member No.: 12778

Good post.

MY committee!! Says it all, mr chairman.

This is a "Jon McCarthy, positive thread" not a "NFBF prattle on about the senior blues thread"

This post has been edited by El presidente: Jul 23 2017, 06:38 PM

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Jul 23 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #23

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

QUOTE (El presidente @ Jul 23 2017, 07:35 PM) *

Good post.

This is a "Jon McCarthy, positive thread" not a "NFBF prattle on about the senior blues thread"

Well said Sir!

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Jul 23 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #24

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pauline M @ Jul 23 2017, 01:37 PM) *
QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Jul 22 2017, 12:56 PM) *

Good post.

cityscarf.gif

I don't think negativity is unique to Chester fans, I have read and heard many other football fans of other clubs fearing the worst of their club. But like NFBF says when we do get success it is so euphoric it is worth all the pain of the disappointments.

Results play a big part of course, I think everyone likes to have a moan from time to time, and a forum where most people are
Anonymous is a great place to do that

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Jul 23 2017, 11:17 PM
Post #25

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (shunter blue @ Jul 23 2017, 08:58 PM) *
QUOTE (El presidente @ Jul 23 2017, 07:35 PM) *

Good post.

Well said Sir!

It is the Senior Blues Committee, of which I have been the elected chairman since we started, any members can nominate themselves for THE committee, consequently, every year there is a chance for the Chairman to be elected off, so far NO ONE has decided to do that!
What is with you two? You, as Chester supporters should be pleased that there is section of the club, continually raising money for the football club,which helps keep it going.
We are now committed to funding the Senior Blues Youth Foundation on a long term basis, which will help Calum Macintyre with his work with young players.
Perhaps you would prefer that it failed in that task? The fact we enjoy ourselves at the same time might erk you to, well, I'm sorry about that.
I make no excuses for publicising the Senior Blues, it helps our cause. The Senior Blues are here to stay,(With or without me) so get over it!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 10:17 AM