Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Halifax, not a happy ship
AGL
post Jan 10 2017, 10:42 AM
Post #1

1st team stalwart

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 2356

Looks like the wheels are off at Halifax and maybe one to note for us.
Not so long ago I recall one of their fans posting on here about how much they were enjoying Conf North and crowds were up. Since then they have fallen down the table, crowds are dropping away and looks like yet another manager (Bill Heath, ex of North Ferriby) could be on his way soon. IMO it shows just how crucial it is that we stay in National League, despite probably having hit a ceiling in terms of progression. The league below seems a lot stronger since our promotion days and very hard to get back up without a big investor.
I was a little surprised when Halifax let Jim Harvey go, despite relegation. Hope they get it sorted and make a charge for the play-offs - had some good battles with them and seem a decent set of fans on the whole.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Seal
post Jan 10 2017, 11:09 AM
Post #2

1st team legend

Member No.: 3504

QUOTE (AGL @ Jan 10 2017, 10:42 AM) *
Not so long ago I recall one of their fans posting on here about how much they were enjoying Conf North and crowds were up. Since then they have fallen down the table, crowds are dropping away and looks like yet another manager (Bill Heath, ex of North Ferriby) could be on his way soon. IMO it shows just how crucial it is that we stay in National League, despite probably having hit a ceiling in terms of progression. The league below seems a lot stronger since our promotion days and very hard to get back up without a big investor.
I was a little surprised when Halifax let Jim Harvey go, despite relegation. Hope they get it sorted and make a charge for the play-offs - had some good battles with them and seem a decent set of fans on the whole.

Is this the same Halifax that 2 years ago everyone was suggesting we should be jealous of? I recall a lot of "if Halifax can do it, why can't we?" posts. It seems the shoe is on the other foot now, maybe we need to try to be thankful for what we have.

+Quote Post
steveo1
post Jan 10 2017, 01:10 PM
Post #3

1st team captain

Member No.: 217

Suprised they got rid of Harvey as well, he was doing a good job at the club, wembley and nearly achieved mission impossible to keep them up. Not worked out well for either of them has it with Halifax below par in the National League North and Harvey dragging Alty to the bottom of the league and getting the boot.

As mentioned above the idea of being in that league sounds great with a lot of local games and potential for tastier games. In reality getting out of it that league would be a nightmare with big clubs that carry good support at that level like Darlington, Stockport, Kidderminster, throw in money bags Fylde, the likes of Chorley and Salford well backed, its tough for the likes of Halifax.

--------------------
Deva Chat F.C

World Cup Doubles Champion - 28/7/05

'A member of the DCFC Prankster Organisation'

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Jan 10 2017, 01:22 PM
Post #4

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

QUOTE (AGL @ Jan 10 2017, 10:42 AM) *

Agree with all of this apart from the bit about Jim Harvey. The man's a pariah.

I really hope that NFU can stay up. They were robbed of their manager and several players. That would be poetic justice, coupled with Halifax staying down.

This post has been edited by shunter blue: Jan 10 2017, 01:25 PM

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Jan 10 2017, 01:23 PM
Post #5

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

I think we would be well to learn from the mistakes that Halifax made during the summer after their fantastic season the year before. During the summer the majority of the side who were at the club left - for money - and the club failed to reinvest this money back into the playing budget. Neil Aspin's couldn't replicate his success of the previous season, got the boot early doors and then they replaced him with that absolute joke of a boss before Jim stepped up into the managers seat.

So whilst we are enjoying a fantastic season - and we should all revel in it - we should not get carried away. All of our players are currently going to be available to other clubs after the final game of the season, whilst I hope we can retain the majority of these lads, we could yet end up with an entirely different squad next season!

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
steveo1
post Jan 10 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #6

1st team captain

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Jan 10 2017, 01:23 PM) *
I think we would be well to learn from the mistakes that Halifax made during the summer after their fantastic season the year before. During the summer the majority of the side who were at the club left - for money - and the club failed to reinvest this money back into the playing budget. Neil Aspin's couldn't replicate his success of the previous season, got the boot early doors and then they replaced him with that absolute joke of a boss before Jim stepped up into the managers seat.

So whilst we are enjoying a fantastic season - and we should all revel in it - we should not get carried away. All of our players are currently going to be available to other clubs after the final game of the season, whilst I hope we can retain the majority of these lads, we could yet end up with an entirely different squad next season!

Once we are safe in this league we need to start planning for next season.

Our squad is thin as it is and with players potentially attracting other clubs we need to get the core of the team signed up.

--------------------
Deva Chat F.C

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Jan 10 2017, 04:08 PM
Post #7

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (steveo1 @ Jan 10 2017, 01:26 PM) *
QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Jan 10 2017, 01:23 PM) *

Once we are safe in this league we need to start planning for next season.

Our squad is thin as it is and with players potentially attracting other clubs we need to get the core of the team signed up.

Sounds good in theory, but will it happen? The odds are looking like we will be safe before the end of February.

+Quote Post
AGL
post Jan 10 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #8

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2356

Anyone with aspirations to play at a higher level/ move to a club paying more will simply refuse to sign and keep their options open.

+Quote Post
steveo1
post Jan 10 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #9

1st team captain

QUOTE (AGL @ Jan 10 2017, 04:22 PM) *
Anyone with aspirations to play at a higher level/ move to a club paying more will simply refuse to sign and keep their options open.

Who knows. Ryan Lloyd had a 2 year plus deal on the table with more money and refused it in favour of a shorter term deal with us and no guarantee of where he goes next.

The likes of Hughes, Alabi, Astles are the main three who will be sought after, throw in Mahon and Lynch (probably just happy to be playing regular football) if they carry on playing to the levels they have done so far.

No reason why we can't keep the rest if we wanted them,

--------------------
Deva Chat F.C

+Quote Post
Southern Blue
post Jan 14 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #10

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2331

A very decent 6-2 win away at play off contenders Tamworth today.

--------------------
I want to play a game.

+Quote Post
OneTrevorStorton
post Jan 15 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #11

Youth team

Member No.: 7550

A couple of misconceptions in a few of the posts on here regarding whats gone on with the Shaymen last couple of years I feel, as you will know we got promoted to the National League alongside yourselves in the 12/13 season, we made some excellent signings in that summer to add to a few already very good players we already had from the Conference North as despite promotion I feel we did underachieve in only coming 5th that season and really ought to have been challenging for the title with the squad we had albeit yourselves ran away with it superbly I did feel the team you produced was actually better than the some of its parts (thats only going off the games we had with you mind and is by no means a bad thing given what you achieved that year).

So we had an excellent season in our first year back in that National making the play offs spearheaded by Lee Gregory who was inevitably sold to Millwall but other than that we kept hold of all of our star men from the season before and also made some further strong additions to the squad and got to an excellent start the following season and were top of the league for the first month or so of the season, got a televised FA Cup first round game with Bradford and were generally in and around the play offs all the way through til around January/February although from I'd say November it was clear we'd struggled to replace Gregory, we had signed Scott Boden who'd had an excellent season at Macclesfield the year before and whilst he showed glimpses he never really fit into our style of play, then something went majorly wrong with the Aspin tenure, no idea what, many attributed it to fielding a much changed team including a few debutants in a Trophy quater final defeat to Wrexham just a few days after we'd played a re-arranged last 16 tie with Dartford and put in probably our best performance that season and some thought that lost him the dressing room but I personally think there must've been more to it than that but from then on in we barely won another game that season and it was at this point that a lot of our better players left that summer, can't blame them, to a man nearly all of them received offers from Football League clubs or in Lois Maynards case Tranmere who are obviously a lot bigger than us, just unfortunate for us it all came at the same time whilst other players who weren't quite as good as those ones but still decent players for us like Adam Smith, Paul Marshall and Will Hatfield all claimed to have not heard anything either way from the club so took up other offers and this lack of communication again hinted at something not quite right with Aspin at this point. We had still come 9th which was still a decent season on paper given where we'd come from over the last fews years but it was the mid-season collapse that was cause for concern and our previous season had also raised expectations among some of the fans who then seemed to think we had a right to be in the Conference Play offs

We then got in an almost entirely new squad that summer and the start of last season was disastrous, team just didn't look to have any spark about it going forward and the new centre backs Matt Brown from yourselves and Hamza Bencherif both seemed woefully unfit whereas the 3rd centre half Graham Hutchison was possibly the softest centre back I've ever seen so we were a comedy of errors at the back and previously consistant performances who had stayed with the club like Scott McManus, Kevin Roberts and James Bolton seemed to be dragged down along with them and the only saving grace was Jordan Burrow was scoring regularly at the other end so Aspin was the sacked mid September after it had become apparent the rot that had set in the previous season hadn't gone away with the squad rebuild, I have a lot of respect for Aspin and the job he did but it seemed clear to me he had gone stale with the club at this point and it was the right time for change, in hindsight he probably should've gone at the end of the previous season but his previous exploits had earnt him another chance, he was then replaced by Darren Kelly, I really can't describe how bad he was so I will just post his results

Cheltenham home lost 7-1
Altrincham away won 3-1
Woking home lost 3-0
Grimsby away lost 7-0
Chester away lost 2-1
Guiseley home in FA Cup drew 2-2, 2 up with about ten minutes left
Guiseley away replay won 2-1 after extra time
Eastleigh away lost 2-1
Wycombe home lost 4-0
Braintree home lost 6-3

At this point (mid November) we were all resigned to relegation already, Jim Harvey took over initially as caretaker having been Kelly's assistant and sparked an immediate upturn in fortunes, Burrow had continued scoring regularly under Kelly but Harvey took the decision to base our game around Shaun Tuton's pace and playing him in behind and in doing so Burrow then took a more withdrawn role playing deeper than he had to support Tuton who had been pretty ineffective til this point whilst Brown and Bencherif suddenly became a pair of rocks at the back and for the next couple of months we displayed title challenging form not losing a game til mid February and dragging ourselves out of the relegation zone whilst marching on through the Trophy however Tuton was sold to Barnsley on January deadline day having gone on a hot scoring run, can't blame him for wanting to move but it left a sour taste with him refusing to play against Welling the previous weekend a home game which we drew which it turned out had we won we would've then stayed up from then on we struggled for goals with our remaining/replacement strikers either being not good enough or not suited to Harvey's tactics, having achieved what we thought was the impossible in getting out of the relegation zone we made a real balls up and managed to fall back in even dragging ourselves back out a couple of times then after a disastrous defeat away at Kidderminster everyone was pretty much resigned to going down especially as Brown and Bencherif were now both injured and we were playing two right backs at centre back and a 19 year old centre midfielder at right back for the last 6 weeks or so of the season but we managed to put it in our own hands again by beating Forest Green away in the second last game of the season but could only draw with Macclesfield on the last day which with Guiseley winning sent us down, Brown and Bencherif managed to return to fitness for Wembley (albeit Brown has been out ever since as well as goalscorer and fan favourite Scott McManus) and we got the win there which was a fantastic way to end a horrible season.

Harvey was then replaced by Billy Heath within a couple of days, I'd have given Harvey the chance to attempt to bring us back up after his initial impact and the trophy win but I couldn't argue with the choice of Heath having got North Ferriby promoted, won the trophy the season before and had another 2nd place finish the year before that, Heath brought in a large amount of North Ferribys players in with him, some didn't like this but I had no issue, they had achieved promotion for him before from this league and I thought anyone would do the same, in addition to this we kept the players from last season you would want to (and could realistically) keep and a couple of decent signings from elsewhere so no complaints here at that point.

First few weeks of the season we were decent but very reliant on Tom Denton's aerial threat and once teams realised this and started cutting off the threat we then started to really struggle and lacked any other ideas, then something clicked and we hit a real good run through til around Mid November then after beating Dagenham in the cup and looking like we were becoming a real outfit everything just seemed to turn to sh*t for the last two months starting with a 4-2 defeat at Curzon who hadn't won a home game til then and finished with 8 men! A draw at Matlock followed in the trophy before losing the replay at the Shay, we then blew a 2 goal lead with 15 minutes left to qualify the the FA cup first round again losing a replay albeit to Eastleigh so we were underdogs in this case and a 1-1 draw at home to Telford in one of the worst spectacles of Football I'd seen then a 3-2 defeat at Darlington boxing day where both teams were again dreadful, the re-match on new years day was a slight improvement witha 2-2 all draw but when I told a friend who'd not been for a while it was the best I'd seen us play for 6 weeks he was absolutely astonished at how bad we must of been in the other games then last week at Stalybridge really was the tip of the iceberg another turgid dire performance resulting in a 1-0 defeat in the 89th minute and the away crowd spending the last 20 minutes shouting for the managers head.

Tuesday night against Chorley sparked a tactical rethink and Denton was dropped (I don't blame him one bit, he's great at what he does but the team were doing nothing but lump it to him, with absolutely no quality) and we played much better getting a 2-1 win then went to Tamworth yesterday and won 6-2 with ten men so hopefully we now bounce back from that but I have to say I was astonished Heath was still in charge to make the changes tuesday night after last saturday, the frustrating thing is the league is a lot weaker than it was last time we were both in it, Tamworth who we have beaten 4-0 and 6-2 this season are genuine play off quality and as well as our own issues most of the opposition are pretty dire to watch as well but heres hoping we've hit a turnaround.

Our clubs are often compared after going bust and coming back at a similar time and theres comments in this very thread saying your lot were jealous of us at one point and it was vice versa when you won the league and we didn't, we aren't a story of an overambitious club who went above their means and are now paying for it, we just made a real mess of last season and are paying for it now, not dissimilar from your first season back up at this level however you got the second chance after Hereford went, I'm confident if we can manage to get back up we can do what you have done and steadily establish ourselves in this league, anyway bet your all delighted to read the ramblings of our recent past!

--------------------
Onwards and Upwards

FC Halifax Town

+Quote Post
Burrfect
post Jan 15 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #12

Squad player

Member No.: 11919

QUOTE (OneTrevorStorton @ Jan 15 2017, 03:52 PM) *
A couple of misconceptions in a few of the posts on here regarding whats gone on with the Shaymen last couple of years I feel, as you will know we got promoted to the National League alongside yourselves in the 12/13 season, we made some excellent signings in that summer to add to a few already very good players we already had from the Conference North as despite promotion I feel we did underachieve in only coming 5th that season and really ought to have been challenging for the title with the squad we had albeit yourselves ran away with it superbly I did feel the team you produced was actually better than the some of its parts (thats only going off the games we had with you mind and is by no means a bad thing given what you achieved that year).

So we had an excellent season in our first year back in that National making the play offs spearheaded by Lee Gregory who was inevitably sold to Millwall but other than that we kept hold of all of our star men from the season before and also made some further strong additions to the squad and got to an excellent start the following season and were top of the league for the first month or so of the season, got a televised FA Cup first round game with Bradford and were generally in and around the play offs all the way through til around January/February although from I'd say November it was clear we'd struggled to replace Gregory, we had signed Scott Boden who'd had an excellent season at Macclesfield the year before and whilst he showed glimpses he never really fit into our style of play, then something went majorly wrong with the Aspin tenure, no idea what, many attributed it to fielding a much changed team including a few debutants in a Trophy quater final defeat to Wrexham just a few days after we'd played a re-arranged last 16 tie with Dartford and put in probably our best performance that season and some thought that lost him the dressing room but I personally think there must've been more to it than that but from then on in we barely won another game that season and it was at this point that a lot of our better players left that summer, can't blame them, to a man nearly all of them received offers from Football League clubs or in Lois Maynards case Tranmere who are obviously a lot bigger than us, just unfortunate for us it all came at the same time whilst other players who weren't quite as good as those ones but still decent players for us like Adam Smith, Paul Marshall and Will Hatfield all claimed to have not heard anything either way from the club so took up other offers and this lack of communication again hinted at something not quite right with Aspin at this point. We had still come 9th which was still a decent season on paper given where we'd come from over the last fews years but it was the mid-season collapse that was cause for concern and our previous season had also raised expectations among some of the fans who then seemed to think we had a right to be in the Conference Play offs

We then got in an almost entirely new squad that summer and the start of last season was disastrous, team just didn't look to have any spark about it going forward and the new centre backs Matt Brown from yourselves and Hamza Bencherif both seemed woefully unfit whereas the 3rd centre half Graham Hutchison was possibly the softest centre back I've ever seen so we were a comedy of errors at the back and previously consistant performances who had stayed with the club like Scott McManus, Kevin Roberts and James Bolton seemed to be dragged down along with them and the only saving grace was Jordan Burrow was scoring regularly at the other end so Aspin was the sacked mid September after it had become apparent the rot that had set in the previous season hadn't gone away with the squad rebuild, I have a lot of respect for Aspin and the job he did but it seemed clear to me he had gone stale with the club at this point and it was the right time for change, in hindsight he probably should've gone at the end of the previous season but his previous exploits had earnt him another chance, he was then replaced by Darren Kelly, I really can't describe how bad he was so I will just post his results

Cheltenham home lost 7-1
Altrincham away won 3-1
Woking home lost 3-0
Grimsby away lost 7-0
Chester away lost 2-1
Eastleigh away lost 2-1
Wycombe home lost 4-0
Braintree home lost 6-3

At this point (mid November) we were all resigned to relegation already, Jim Harvey took over initially as caretaker having been Kelly's assistant and sparked an immediate upturn in fortunes, Burrow had continued scoring regularly under Kelly but Harvey took the decision to base our game around Shaun Tuton's pace and playing him in behind and in doing so Burrow then took a more withdrawn role playing deeper than he had to support Tuton who had been pretty ineffective til this point whilst Brown and Bencherif suddenly became a pair of rocks at the back and for the next couple of months we displayed title challenging form not losing a game til mid February and dragging ourselves out of the relegation zone whilst marching on through the Trophy however Tuton was sold to Barnsley on January deadline day having gone on a hot scoring run, can't blame him for wanting to move but it left a sour taste with him refusing to play against Welling the previous weekend a home game which we drew which it turned out had we won we would've then stayed up from then on we struggled for goals with our remaining/replacement strikers either being not good enough or not suited to Harvey's tactics, having achieved what we thought was the impossible in getting out of the relegation zone we made a real balls up and managed to fall back in even dragging ourselves back out a couple of times then after a disastrous defeat away at Kidderminster everyone was pretty much resigned to going down especially as Brown and Bencherif were now both injured and we were playing two right backs at centre back and a 19 year old centre midfielder at right back for the last 6 weeks or so of the season but we managed to put it in our own hands again by beating Forest Green away in the second last game of the season but could only draw with Macclesfield on the last day which with Guiseley winning sent us down, Brown and Bencherif managed to return to fitness for Wembley (albeit Brown has been out ever since as well as goalscorer and fan favourite Scott McManus) and we got the win there which was a fantastic way to end a horrible season.

Harvey was then replaced by Billy Heath within a couple of days, I'd have given Harvey the chance to attempt to bring us back up after his initial impact and the trophy win but I couldn't argue with the choice of Heath having got North Ferriby promoted, won the trophy the season before and had another 2nd place finish the year before that, Heath brought in a large amount of North Ferribys players in with him, some didn't like this but I had no issue, they had achieved promotion for him before from this league and I thought anyone would do the same, in addition to this we kept the players from last season you would want to (and could realistically) keep and a couple of decent signings from elsewhere so no complaints here at that point.

First few weeks of the season we were decent but very reliant on Tom Denton's aerial threat and once teams realised this and started cutting off the threat we then started to really struggle and lacked any other ideas, then something clicked and we hit a real good run through til around Mid November then after beating Dagenham in the cup and looking like we were becoming a real outfit everything just seemed to turn to sh*t for the last two months starting with a 4-2 defeat at Curzon who hadn't won a home game til then and finished with 8 men! A draw at Matlock followed in the trophy before losing the replay at the Shay, we then blew a 2 goal lead with 15 minutes left to qualify the the FA cup first round again losing a replay albeit to Eastleigh so we were underdogs in this case and a 1-1 draw at home to Telford in one of the worst spectacles of Football I'd seen then a 3-2 defeat at Darlington boxing day where both teams were again dreadful, the re-match on new years day was a slight improvement witha 2-2 all draw but when I told a friend who'd not been for a while it was the best I'd seen us play for 6 weeks he was absolutely astonished at how bad we must of been in the other games then last week at Stalybridge really was the tip of the iceberg another turgid dire performance resulting in a 1-0 defeat in the 89th minute and the away crowd spending the last 20 minutes shouting for the managers head.

Tuesday night against Chorley sparked a tactical rethink and Denton was dropped (I don't blame him one bit, he's great at what he does but the team were doing nothing but lump it to him, with absolutely no quality) and we played much better getting a 2-1 win then went to Tamworth yesterday and won 6-2 with ten men so hopefully we now bounce back from that but I have to say I was astonished Heath was still in charge to make the changes tuesday night after last saturday, the frustrating thing is the league is a lot weaker than it was last time we were both in it, Tamworth who we have beaten 4-0 and 6-2 this season are genuine play off quality and as well as our own issues most of the opposition are pretty dire to watch as well but heres hoping we've hit a turnaround.

Our clubs are often compared after going bust and coming back at a similar time and theres comments in this very thread saying your lot were jealous of us at one point and it was vice versa when you won the league and we didn't, we aren't a story of an overambitious club who went above their means and are now paying for it, we just made a real mess of last season and are paying for it now, not dissimilar from your first season back up at this level however you got the second chance after Hereford went, I'm confident if we can manage to get back up we can do what you have done and steadily establish ourselves in this league, anyway bet your all delighted to read the ramblings of our recent past!

I have got a lot of time for Halifax we have had a lot in common including the fabulous Trevor Storton, I wish you well and look forward to locking horns on the pitch yet again sometime soon

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Jan 15 2017, 04:55 PM
Post #13

Reserve skipper

What would North Ferriby's chances been of surviving in the Premier League had you not taken their manager and best players? I would like to have seen them survive as I have very fond memories of that part of the country.

+Quote Post
OneTrevorStorton
post Jan 15 2017, 06:00 PM
Post #14

Youth team

QUOTE (Burrfect @ Jan 15 2017, 04:00 PM) *
I have got a lot of time for Halifax we have had a lot in common including the fabulous Trevor Storton, I wish you well and look forward to locking horns on the pitch yet again sometime soon

We're certainly a club who lacks any real competitive rivalries over recent years due to heading in different directions to a lot of our historical rivals so the Chester games did start to have a bit more extra feel to them than they might have done over history due to the comparisons often made between the clubs so certainly do hope to be playing you again soon, looks like we might be locking horns with York again soon which we have looked forward to for a few years but we wern't quite intent on doing so in the Conference North!

--------------------
Onwards and Upwards

FC Halifax Town

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jan 15 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #15

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 203

QUOTE (OneTrevorStorton @ Jan 15 2017, 06:00 PM) *

We're certainly a club who lacks any real competitive rivalries over recent years due to heading in different directions to a lot of our historical rivals so the Chester games did start to have a bit more extra feel to them than they might have done over history due to the comparisons often made between the clubs so certainly do hope to be playing you again soon, looks like we might be locking horns with York again soon which we have looked forward to for a few years but we wern't quite intent on doing so in the Conference North!

What's your relationship with Chorley like? I see they're near the top of your league.

Our games against them were a bit fiery, to say the least!

+Quote Post
OneTrevorStorton
post Jan 15 2017, 06:09 PM
Post #16

Youth team

QUOTE (shunter blue @ Jan 15 2017, 04:55 PM) *
What would North Ferriby's chances been of surviving in the Premier League had you not taken their manager and best players? I would like to have seen them survive as I have very fond memories of that part of the country.

I thought when we raided them in the summer that they'd really struggle and had potential to have a similar season to what Hyde did a few years back, they are down there of course but they're putting up a fight to their credit, With us not exactly setting the world a light a league below with those players you'd be inclined to think they wouldn't have stayed up with them though it wouldn't surprise me if Heath's tactics are more suited to a more underdog mentality on a more compact pitch than they are with us expecting promotion and playing on a big wide pitch, the former Ferriby players have taken the brunt of the stick here but I don't think they are bad players just the tactics haven't done them any favours and hopefully we've now seen an end to that

--------------------
Onwards and Upwards

FC Halifax Town

+Quote Post
OneTrevorStorton
post Jan 15 2017, 06:17 PM
Post #17

Youth team

QUOTE (XWWB @ Jan 15 2017, 06:07 PM) *

What's your relationship with Chorley like? I see they're near the top of your league.

Nothing really to mention with regards to Chorley, I do recall reading about the Chorley games when you were battling for the title in the Evostik, when we played them in the Evostik they were a typical mid-table Evostik Division One team with a couple of hundred fans and have obviously come on a long way in the last few years, when we played them tuesday they were probably one of the more footballing teams we've seen in this division, had a habit of surrounding the ref at every oppurtunity, we were all expecting a defeat after Stalybridge on saturday but the players came out fighting for this one

--------------------
Onwards and Upwards

FC Halifax Town

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jan 15 2017, 06:30 PM
Post #18

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (OneTrevorStorton @ Jan 15 2017, 06:17 PM) *
QUOTE (XWWB @ Jan 15 2017, 06:07 PM) *

Nothing really to mention with regards to Chorley, I do recall reading about the Chorley games when you were battling for the title in the Evostik, when we played them in the Evostik they were a typical mid-table Evostik Division One team with a couple of hundred fans and have obviously come on a long way in the last few years, when we played them tuesday they were probably one of the more footballing teams we've seen in this division, had a habit of surrounding the ref at every oppurtunity, we were all expecting a defeat after Stalybridge on saturday but the players came out fighting for this one

I don't know if it's just that they were the only club in our first season with any kind of sizeable support so it felt like a rivalry. It did feel like they were trying to get up our noses though. The antics of some of their players, then the way they tried to put the prices up when they went there, plus the fact that our game there seemed to attract every scally in the area and a lot of people who really weren't looking for trouble got hurt. I understand they have different owners now but I'd happily never play them again to be honest.

+Quote Post
Southern Blue
post Jan 16 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #19

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2331

QUOTE (OneTrevorStorton @ Jan 15 2017, 04:52 PM) *

Cheltenham home lost 7-1
Altrincham away won 3-1
Woking home lost 3-0
Grimsby away lost 7-0
Chester away lost 2-1
Eastleigh away lost 2-1
Wycombe home lost 4-0
Braintree home lost 6-3

Would you mind going into more detail please?

--------------------
I want to play a game.

+Quote Post
1midfield genera...
post Jan 16 2017, 08:08 PM
Post #20

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8334

Many thanks for your detailed post, onetrevorstorton. I found it very interesting.

+Quote Post
Jimmy Cooper
post Jan 17 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #21

Squad player

Member No.: 5306

One Trevor Storton - he was a collosal player. Bill Shankley said when we signed him he would be our best ever player and he certainly was.
Sat next to him at Huddersfield once and he couldn't understand how quickly Kevin Ratcliffe had become a bad defender.
We lost 5-1 and were lucky Huddersfield took their foot off the pedal in the second half.

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Jan 17 2017, 12:59 PM
Post #22

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (OneTrevorStorton @ Jan 15 2017, 06:09 PM) *

I thought when we raided them in the summer that they'd really struggle and had potential to have a similar season to what Hyde did a few years back, they are down there of course but they're putting up a fight to their credit, With us not exactly setting the world a light a league below with those players you'd be inclined to think they wouldn't have stayed up with them though it wouldn't surprise me if Heath's tactics are more suited to a more underdog mentality on a more compact pitch than they are with us expecting promotion and playing on a big wide pitch, the former Ferriby players have taken the brunt of the stick here but I don't think they are bad players just the tactics haven't done them any favours and hopefully we've now seen an end to that

Thanks for your reply.

Do you still retain a good bank balance after all your player sales over recent years?

+Quote Post
OneTrevorStorton
post Jan 17 2017, 11:02 PM
Post #23

Youth team

QUOTE (shunter blue @ Jan 17 2017, 12:59 PM) *

Thanks for your reply.

Do you still retain a good bank balance after all your player sales over recent years?

I believe we're in healthy nick yes though I can't recall the figures from our last accounts released there was certainly no cause for concern, could've been even better if Vardy had moved to Arsenal in the summer! Had to pay off both two managers last season which obviously weren't ideal and had we not won the last two games Heath could've probably been added to that, crowds have stayed pretty much the same give or take a couple of hundred for most points since reformation in 2008 no matter what the league and a competitive budget has always been given for the level we've been at based on that, we did a cheap season ticket incentive last summer which has probably helped the crowds with some of the dire football this season can't see many being tempted to pay on the gate each week, we did make some ambitious moves in the summer including one for Ross Hannah, though I can't imagine we got near offering what Barrow did I imagine it was certainly a big figure for this level to even bother trying though I've not known us pay silly transfer fees or go to wild wagewise otherwise

--------------------
Onwards and Upwards

FC Halifax Town

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Jan 18 2017, 01:53 PM
Post #24

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

QUOTE (OneTrevorStorton @ Jan 17 2017, 11:02 PM) *

Thanks for your reply.

I believe we're in healthy nick yes though I can't recall the figures from our last accounts released there was certainly no cause for concern, could've been even better if Vardy had moved to Arsenal in the summer! Had to pay off both two managers last season which obviously weren't ideal and had we not won the last two games Heath could've probably been added to that, crowds have stayed pretty much the same give or take a couple of hundred for most points since reformation in 2008 no matter what the league and a competitive budget has always been given for the level we've been at based on that, we did a cheap season ticket incentive last summer which has probably helped the crowds with some of the dire football this season can't see many being tempted to pay on the gate each week, we did make some ambitious moves in the summer including one for Ross Hannah, though I can't imagine we got near offering what Barrow did I imagine it was certainly a big figure for this level to even bother trying though I've not known us pay silly transfer fees or go to wild wagewise otherwise

What are your thoughts on Adam Morgan?

+Quote Post
OneTrevorStorton
post Jan 18 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #25

Youth team

QUOTE (Billy W @ Jan 18 2017, 01:53 PM) *
QUOTE (OneTrevorStorton @ Jan 17 2017, 11:02 PM) *

Thanks for your reply.

What are your thoughts on Adam Morgan?

early days but he looks a class above, 6 goals in 5 games so far, in four of those games the service he was receiving was next to nil as well, his touch is far better than anything else I've seen in non league and has the audacity and skill to have a go from positions other players at this level wouldn't even think about, we've got him on an 18month deal so I suspect its a case we'll either sell him in the summer if he keeps his current rate, including his time at Curzon he now has 17 goals in 14 games or we'll keep him for the duration and then lose him on a free to a league club, he could easily be the difference between getting promoted and not

--------------------
Onwards and Upwards

FC Halifax Town

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 08:13 PM