Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Academies
Claire Ward
post Mar 22 2016, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Youth team

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12204

Everton, Man City and Man Utd have been around all the schools in Chester offering free training sessions for kids aged 4 to 7, they then pick the best players for their academies, my Grandson went to one of the training days and it was fantastic with around 10 coaches to maybe 40/50 kids.

Its great for all the kids but I can't help thinking Chester are missing out on the best young talent in Chester as it seems Chester doesn't have much of a academy and are missing out big time.

When my son played in the 80s it used to be Wrexham that nicked all the best players from Chester but it now seems the big boys are after our local talent.

It seems a shame Chester can't bring the local talent through as just one good player could end up not only playing for Chester but could bring the club a big windfall when sold on?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Mar 22 2016, 02:45 PM
Post #2

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (Claire Ward @ Mar 22 2016, 02:37 PM) *
Everton, Man City and Man Utd have been around all the schools in Chester offering free training sessions for kids aged 4 to 7, they then pick the best players for their academies, my Grandson went to one of the training days and it was fantastic with around 10 coaches to maybe 40/50 kids.

Its great for all the kids but I can't help thinking Chester are missing out on the best young talent in Chester as it seems Chester doesn't have much of a academy and are missing out big time.

When my son played in the 80s it used to be Wrexham that nicked all the best players from Chester but it now seems the big boys are after our local talent.

It seems a shame Chester can't bring the local talent through as just one good player could end up not only playing for Chester but could bring the club a big windfall when sold on?

We've got an extensive youth system in place headed by a very highly rated young man - Callum McIntyre.

Whilst I think that things such as the above are an excellent idea, we already do an awful lot to attract the youngsters and have already seen quite a few youngsters break through into the first team, Sam Hughes the brightest example.

I am - especially recently - critical when I feel things are not right with the club, but I will sing it's praises when justified. Our current youth system is something every Chester fan should be proud of - I'm extremely proud of it, and I think it has been a massive success story.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Claire Ward
post Mar 22 2016, 02:51 PM
Post #3

Youth team

That's great to know, what age does the Chester academy start as the other clubs are signing and having the kids start at 5 years so maybe getting them before Chester.

+Quote Post
mused
post Mar 22 2016, 02:58 PM
Post #4

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

Echo what Derry says, the youth set up is excellent and the volunteers work extremely hard. Claire, think about what you've just said. The said Premiership side had ten coaches there! How on earth do we fund that?
In our current set up we look to get kids in at eight. A lot of those kids will already have been to the big clubs and been rejected. To get them in any earlier just isn't cost efficient for us, and any kids that are showing up well at 5, 6 or 7 will probably get nicked off us anyway. There's also a question of ethics in my eyes too.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
I O CITY CITY I ...
post Mar 22 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #5

H-Block

Member No.: 2120

QUOTE (Claire Ward @ Mar 22 2016, 02:51 PM) *
That's great to know, what age does the Chester academy start as the other clubs are signing and having the kids start at 5 years so maybe getting them before Chester.

I don't think we have the funds to run academies from that age but I know that there are several local teams that have them - Blacon Youth being the biggest example.

I think this is what we're not doing properly at youth level - connecting with local teams and using them as feeder clubs as such.

Other than that, our set up is one of the best things to come out of the club since it's re-birth. CM is a Chester lad through and through and hopefully one day he can lead the first team to success...

--------------------
"...you must be prepared to die for the cause" - Harry McNally.

Do not use signature that may offend the easily offended.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Mar 22 2016, 03:01 PM
Post #6

I'm not Irish!

QUOTE (Claire Ward @ Mar 22 2016, 02:51 PM) *

Well I would assume it would start from reception, and years 1 and 2 through Mini-Kickers?

I know from experience living in Deeside that my eldest (4 this year) will be able to go to coaching sessions through Connahs Quay Nomads who link up with his school (my Mrs and I both get notification of the sessions date and time through the Schoop app) - so it's a way into the game for him.

As to what age they start with us? You'd be better off asking Callum or someone on here who works with the youth teams?

Edit: just seen Mused's reply. They start from U8's

This post has been edited by Derry Exile: Mar 22 2016, 03:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
RCM
post Mar 22 2016, 03:29 PM
Post #7

Youth team

Member No.: 5417

You will find the big clubs use the trawler net approach to try and suck in the younger player so they can assess them. It's a numbers game to them. I would always impress on the parents don't get caught in the headlights of the big clubs, seen so many good players being told they are not good enough and the child isn't even 10 years old. Find an environment where they find it fun and they are developing, let them play football, in every position as well, learning by their own mistakes. When their in high school if they are good enough they will be spotted. Lots of scouts watch local junior football through all the school age groups.

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Mar 22 2016, 03:38 PM
Post #8

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 11

QUOTE (RCM @ Mar 22 2016, 03:29 PM) *
You will find the big clubs use the trawler net approach to try and suck in the younger player so they can assess them. It's a numbers game to them. I would always impress on the parents don't get caught in the headlights of the big clubs, seen so many good players being told they are not good enough and the child isn't even 10 years old. Find an environment where they find it fun and they are developing, let them play football, in every position as well, learning by their own mistakes. When their in high school if they are good enough they will be spotted. Lots of scouts watch local junior football through all the school age groups.

This.

Chester take in boys from u8 and have a good record at developing boys from this age group. The current u13s (I think, mused could confirm..!) are the first age group to have come through from this age, and although some boys have left and some more joined they retain a core of very talented local boys who have been at CFC for 3 or 4 years.

I am sure that Calum is aware that the one thing the club could improve on is scouting these junior age groups RCM refers to above. Plenty of boys out there playing local football who have more than enough development potential, and plenty of tournaments etc over the summer to find them.

Sam Hughes is proof alone that with hard work rewards will come. With the help of Swettenhams Chemist, Cal is now in a position to hopefully develop and hopefully take the academy to the next level.

As regards the CQN sessions, and the Everton and Man City sessions recently held at schools, although attended by their club scouts, these sessions are organised and taken by the community side of these clubs.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Claire Ward
post Mar 22 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #9

Youth team

QUOTE (mused @ Mar 22 2016, 02:58 PM) *
Echo what Derry says, the youth set up is excellent and the volunteers work extremely hard. Claire, think about what you've just said. The said Premiership side had ten coaches there! How on earth do we fund that?
In our current set up we look to get kids in at eight. A lot of those kids will already have been to the big clubs and been rejected. To get them in any earlier just isn't cost efficient for us, and any kids that are showing up well at 5, 6 or 7 will probably get nicked off us anyway. There's also a question of ethics in my eyes too.

I know it would be hard to compete with the big clubs just very surprised they are going after reception, year 1 and 2 kids through the schools, the training was excellent and can't be compared with the Chester mini kickers it was just another level altogether and that isn't a criticism of Callum and Steph who were both great and my grandkids loved the mini kickers when it was on.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Mar 22 2016, 04:07 PM
Post #10

I'm not Irish!

To be fair though Claire what these clubs spend on coaching sessions at reception, years one and two, would probably equate to half the yearly budget for our entire youth setup.

You can't compare what these Premier League clubs are trying to do with what we can afford to do, it's like comparing the budget of the Mercedes F1 team to your local car dealership.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Claire Ward
post Mar 22 2016, 04:14 PM
Post #11

Youth team

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Mar 22 2016, 04:07 PM) *
To be fair though Claire what these clubs spend on coaching sessions at reception, years one and two, would probably equate to half the yearly budget for our entire youth setup.

You can't compare what these Premier League clubs are trying to do with what we can afford to do, it's like comparing the budget of the Mercedes F1 team to your local car dealership.

I agree but I still can't help thinking these clubs are nicking our best young kids at such a young age.

+Quote Post
mused
post Mar 22 2016, 04:19 PM
Post #12

1st team captain

QUOTE (Claire Ward @ Mar 22 2016, 03:51 PM) *

I know it would be hard to compete with the big clubs just very surprised they are going after reception, year 1 and 2 kids through the schools, the training was excellent and can't be compared with the Chester mini kickers it was just another level altogether and that isn't a criticism of Callum and Steph who were both great and my grandkids loved the mini kickers when it was on.

It's too young in my opinion. Let the boys play a bit of club football. Play in tournaments with their mates and have a bit of fun. I'm sure Chester would love to take the lads younger but the age they're recruiting is probably young enough.

In answer to NWAS, the age group that was recruited first as u8's are now u12's. The majority of the initial squad are still together and are all local lads from the Chester, Ellesmere Port and Deeside region. And the team is competing well against football league opponents. Fingers crossed in six years time we might well see four or five of them knocking around the first team!

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
Yin
post Mar 22 2016, 05:44 PM
Post #13

Squad player

Member No.: 10837

QUOTE (Claire Ward @ Mar 22 2016, 03:51 PM) *

I used to attend the Chester Fc Mini Kickers regularly on a Sunday morning with my son when it was run at the Northgate Arena by Calum/Ash etc.
The numbers of 5/6/7 year olds that attended was as high as 50/60 each week.
The attendance figures were so high due to the indoor training facility and the level of coaching provided was top drawer.
I believe the Mini Kickers is run these days by the Community Trust and not under the Academy banner run by Calum.
Mr & Mrs Whelan from the Junior Blues overseen the administration and i can never remember them missing a session.
Teaching local prospective very young footballers the fundamentals of football,no ethics problems in my opinion regarding young age only Chester Fc providing an oppertunity for children to improve their football skills and hopefully become life long supporters of their City Football Club.

+Quote Post
ALWAYS BLUE
post Mar 22 2016, 06:10 PM
Post #14

Shabba
Group Icon

Member No.: 1387

Well i can vouch for Chester in the Community and the Level of the coaching is excellent, the kids clearly enjoy it and so do the coaches.

I am coach myself (Not at Chester, i might add) and i can assure you Chester Fc are doing some good stuff with the kids in the Community.

You have to remember also that Big clubs can throw lots of money at these things, after all they are pulling out kids from grassroots football for there own benefit. Big clubs have a big draw for players

I am not a lover of Academy football with the kids, which i have my reasons for.

--------------------
SHABBA!!

+Quote Post
Fathead The Glad...
post Mar 22 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #15

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1749

Does all the money gleaned from parents stay in the academy or is it used to subsidise the first team wages like at so many clubs? Not knocking the work of coaches but the morals of this practice are dubious and make the sport a financial drain for parents chasing the dream.

--------------------
North Wales Chester FC Supporters Group

+Quote Post
mused
post Mar 22 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #16

1st team captain

QUOTE (Fathead The Gladiator @ Mar 22 2016, 08:07 PM) *
Does all the money gleaned from parents stay in the academy or is it used to subsidise the first team wages like at so many clubs? Not knocking the work of coaches but the morals of this practice are dubious and make the sport a financial drain for parents chasing the dream.

All money sourced from parents goes to pay for their child's training kit and training fees. It's a reasonable and exceptable amount when considering how much TNS, The Quay and Airbus charge. Where that money is being filtered further up the chain. And I believe wrexham and Shrewsbury charge something similar to Chester.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Devon Blue
post Mar 22 2016, 10:12 PM
Post #17

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Member No.: 42

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Mar 22 2016, 02:45 PM) *

We've got an extensive youth system in place headed by a very highly rated young man - Callum McIntyre.

Whilst I think that things such as the above are an excellent idea, we already do an awful lot to attract the youngsters and have already seen quite a few youngsters break through into the first team, Sam Hughes the brightest example.

I am - especially recently - critical when I feel things are not right with the club, but I will sing it's praises when justified. Our current youth system is something every Chester fan should be proud of - I'm extremely proud of it, and I think it has been a massive success story.

This is so true. Callum is one of the most inspirational people at the club and has done us proud with his efforts in this area. As DE says, we should be proud of what he is doing. The big clubs hoover up as much as they can find and quickly discard "failures" at 7 or 8 years old. We don't - we do a caring , professional and ultimately successful job.

--------------------
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>COME ON YOU BLUES! </span>

+Quote Post
Yin
post Mar 22 2016, 10:21 PM
Post #18

Squad player

Member No.: 10837

QUOTE (Devon Blue @ Mar 22 2016, 10:12 PM) *
QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Mar 22 2016, 02:45 PM) *

This is so true. Callum is one of the most inspirational people at the club and has done us proud with his efforts in this area. As DE says, we should be proud of what he is doing. The big clubs hoover up as much as they can find and quickly discard "failures" at 7 or 8 years old. We don't - we do a caring , professional and ultimately successful job.

I agree with your statement regarding Calum being inspirational to the youngsters within the academy.
I do however have to disagree with your statement of how bigger clubs "disgard" 7 or 8 year olds as "failures".
It is very easy to criticise the bigger clubs i guess but if you can afford the time to speak to people within the game (Calum perhaps) you may be enlightened as to what actually happens to the "failures" in your words.

+Quote Post
Claire Ward
post Mar 23 2016, 06:57 AM
Post #19

Youth team

QUOTE (mused @ Mar 22 2016, 08:42 PM) *
QUOTE (Fathead The Gladiator @ Mar 22 2016, 08:07 PM) *

All money sourced from parents goes to pay for their child's training kit and training fees. It's a reasonable and exceptable amount when considering how much TNS, The Quay and Airbus charge. Where that money is being filtered further up the chain. And I believe wrexham and Shrewsbury charge something similar to Chester.

How much does it cost parents for the kids to attend the Chester academy?

I know the bigger clubs don't charge and even offer traveling expenses and that's maybe another reason Chester find it hard to get the best local kids in.

Again not a criticism as I know it's probably impossible for Chester to compete with the bigger academies.

+Quote Post
Elton Blues
post Mar 23 2016, 07:21 AM
Post #20

Our City, Our Community, Our Club
Group Icon

Member No.: 40

A topic close to my heart having coached locally for 7 or so years, I am a great believer in the youngest of kids being with their mates getting hooked on playing football rather than being taken by academies. There's plenty of time to get serious about football and often it's the parents thinking little Johnny is the next Messi more than the kids. Clubs like Chester do it right, allow both up to a certain age and pick up those turned away from the big clubs.
I know of 3 kids who trained with Everton, Man United and Man City but theselads couldn't wait to getback playing with their mates.

--------------------
I am one of the thousands of fools and proud of it!

+Quote Post
Claire Ward
post Mar 23 2016, 08:06 AM
Post #21

Youth team

QUOTE (Elton Blues @ Mar 23 2016, 07:21 AM) *
A topic close to my heart having coached locally for 7 or so years, I am a great believer in the youngest of kids being with their mates getting hooked on playing football rather than being taken by academies. There's plenty of time to get serious about football and often it's the parents thinking little Johnny is the next Messi more than the kids. Clubs like Chester do it right, allow both up to a certain age and pick up those turned away from the big clubs.
I know of 3 kids who trained with Everton, Man United and Man City but theselads couldn't wait to getback playing with their mates.

And on the other hand I know of kids who do attend these big academies and they love it and can't wait till the next training session unlike the parents who sometimes just don't have the time to take them and then start feeling guilty, I think it all boils down to the kids attitude, some are ready and really enjoy the hard work of proper ball training and some find it boring and just want to play matches.

+Quote Post
MPW
post Mar 23 2016, 09:38 AM
Post #22

1st team captain

Member No.: 1056

My lad plays for an U9 team in Flintshire and I know that CFC have on occasions had scouts casting eyes over them in tournaments. However, 2 of the most talented players have been picked up by Wrexham and have been in their academy for the past couple of seasons (one of them was also with Everton, but chose Wrexham over them).

They were picked up by Wrexham because they came into the junior school and did afterschool training sessions (which they charge for) and in return the kids and parents were invited to attend a home match at the Racecourse. The downside to this is that lot of them now support Wrexham! sad.gif

Watching the teams in the Flintshire junior league, we get to see the same opposition players and teams regularly and although I'm no expert the better players do stand out and you get to hear that a lot of them are already signed up for Premier League academies.

What we have to remember is that our club is only 6 years old and still in its infancy, but its fantastic to see the likes of Sam Hughes coming though and making an impact on the team.

+Quote Post
Fathead The Glad...
post Mar 23 2016, 09:52 AM
Post #23

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1749

I've mentioned this several times before, as a sporting coach in North Wales I do think the club should really make an effort to engage more with schools and after school programmes, certainly near the border. Just sending scouts over is simply not enough, if we aren't closer to the area's schools and clubs then Wrexham are given a free run with all the future prospects. They are heavily embedded in many schools, we are not at all from what I see. My lad plays for an under 9's team and he only wants to play games on a Sunday and play in the week at training with his mates, yet there are some good players in these 'Sunday leagues' over the border (they are unofficial as leagues are not allowed to publish results or tables - friendly policy until High school age. We could have a presence in these by getting involved in a limited way through free coaching sessions etc. The academies round here play on a Saturday and cost £15 a month by direct debit plus extras all to pay for. Our Sunday team is free, all raised through sponsorship efforts. We could profit from bring involved with these sort of clubs more, avoiding getting involved in other teams academies.

--------------------
North Wales Chester FC Supporters Group

+Quote Post
Claire Ward
post Mar 23 2016, 10:01 AM
Post #24

Youth team

QUOTE (MPW @ Mar 23 2016, 09:38 AM) *
My lad plays for an U9 team in Flintshire and I know that CFC have on occasions had scouts casting eyes over them in tournaments. However, 2 of the most talented players have been picked up by Wrexham and have been in their academy for the past couple of seasons (one of them was also with Everton, but chose Wrexham over them).

They were picked up by Wrexham because they came into the junior school and did afterschool training sessions (which they charge for) and in return the kids and parents were invited to attend a home match at the Racecourse. The downside to this is that lot of them now support Wrexham.

It's been like that for years, my son played for Chester Junior Blues in the 80s behind the old stadium and he and some others eventually went off to Wrexham where the set up was so better,

And now my year 2 grandson is now at Wrexham and has also been offered a place at one of the big academies.

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Mar 23 2016, 10:42 AM
Post #25

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

QUOTE (Claire Ward @ Mar 23 2016, 08:06 AM) *
QUOTE (Elton Blues @ Mar 23 2016, 07:21 AM) *

And on the other hand I know of kids who do attend these big academies and they love it and can't wait till the next training session unlike the parents who sometimes just don't have the time to take them and then start feeling guilty, I think it all boils down to the kids attitude, some are ready and really enjoy the hard work of proper ball training and some find it boring and just want to play matches.

The thing that galls me about these set ups is the ideas that get put into the kids heads at such a young age, and their parents too for that matter.
They think their kids have been "spotted" and are destined for a life of a premier league footballer and the riches that comes with it, when in reality these clubs cast a massive net and catch whatever kids they can and then drop about 99.9 % of them by the time they are 10 or 11, thus disillusioning the kid for life.
Much rather we select our kids for their obvious talents and nuture them along the right way as an ethical thing to do, rather than a production line in reality what the bigger clubs use.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st June 2018 - 12:22 AM