Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hats off to Torquay fans
Flicker's le...
post Dec 20 2015, 12:00 AM
Post #1

Squad player

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 2222

I reckon it's probably 7 hours to Chester and 7 back but there must have been 100 Torquay fans at Chester today . They sang and supported throughout . 2nd bottom in a League you've just been relegated to . Playing badly even before today . I know we've been in the same position, but all the same, true football fans, I salute you. Wish you luck for the fight to come (except when you play us again).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
old boneze
post Dec 20 2015, 04:56 AM
Post #2

Predict-a-score champion 2010-11. 2011-12. 2013-14
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 1883

QUOTE (Flicker's left foot @ Dec 20 2015, 12:00 AM) *
I reckon it's probably 7 hours to Chester and 7 back but there must have been 100 Torquay fans at Chester today . They sang and supported throughout . 2nd bottom in a League you've just been relegated to . Playing badly even before today . I know we've been in the same position, but all the same, true football fans, I salute you. Wish you luck for the fight to come (except when you play us again).

Also, a good number of them joined in the applause for Ross Hannah when he was subbed. Well done them.

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Dec 20 2015, 08:16 AM
Post #3

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

Totally agree agree about Torquay fans, absolute credit to their club. They deserve a better team than they've got. Already booked hotel for game at Plainmore after doing same last year and game postponed.

+Quote Post
njd1959
post Dec 20 2015, 09:55 AM
Post #4

1st team regular

Member No.: 11812

QUOTE (old boneze @ Dec 20 2015, 04:56 AM) *

Also, a good number of them joined in the applause for Ross Hannah when he was subbed. Well done them.

As a regular away supporter I will always applaud away fans who go above the call of duty to follow their team. Having been to Torquay on many occasions I know it a hike, so fair play to them having to watch such a poor showing from the Gulls. Like those who have said previously, watching clubs at our level requires dedication warts and all.

+Quote Post
sqwaz
post Dec 20 2015, 10:02 AM
Post #5

SEALS SEALS SEALS

Member No.: 425

hopefully they stay up bowdown.gif bowdown.gif bowdown.gif bowdown.gif

--------------------
SEEKING TRUTH,SIMPLICITY AND THE SRIRIT TO PROVAIL....................

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Dec 20 2015, 10:07 AM
Post #6

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

They were the only ones singing as well, to be fair. Yesterday's game reminded me of many of the Evo Stik ones where it was so comfortable for us, the crowd didn't feel the need to be the twelfth man.

+Quote Post
Southern Blue
post Dec 20 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #7

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2331

QUOTE (sqwaz @ Dec 20 2015, 10:02 AM) *

I hope so too, only a couple of hours to Plainmoor for me.

--------------------
I want to play a game.

+Quote Post
Rob
post Dec 20 2015, 10:25 AM
Post #8

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2063

Brilliant turn out from them, and great support for their team.

+Quote Post
silverblue
post Dec 20 2015, 11:12 AM
Post #9

Squad player

Member No.: 7725

Amazing support from their fans yesterday and what they don't need is idiots telling them their going down.
With support like that hopefully they will have a late run of good results.

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Dec 20 2015, 11:43 AM
Post #10

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

Have to agree they are a credit to there club and, a loyal set of true fans!

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post
Buckley Blue
post Dec 20 2015, 12:51 PM
Post #11

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 7121

QUOTE (silverblue @ Dec 20 2015, 11:12 AM) *

Amazing support from their fans yesterday and what they don't need is idiots telling them their going down.
With support like that hopefully they will have a late run of good results.

what idiots?

+Quote Post
Devon Blue
post Dec 20 2015, 10:33 PM
Post #12

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Member No.: 42

I've just seen on the Torquay United Supporters' page that their players had to car-share and drive themselves to Chester AND drive back after the match - seems there was no coach firm willing or able to provide a coach for them! Let's hope for the sake of their supporters that things look up enough to keep them at this level, rather than going down yet again.

--------------------
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>COME ON YOU BLUES! </span>

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Dec 20 2015, 10:46 PM
Post #13

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

QUOTE (Devon Blue @ Dec 20 2015, 10:33 PM) *
I've just seen on the Torquay United Supporters' page that their players had to car-share and drive themselves to Chester AND drive back after the match - seems there was no coach firm willing or able to provide a coach for them! Let's hope for the sake of their supporters that things look up enough to keep them at this level, rather than going down yet again.

Kevin Nicholson -

'Yes we have driven to a couple of away games in cars. It was the best option budget considered as otherwise the players would be up at 6 to travel 6 hours and then play a game. I suggested it, the players agreed and so the club could afford the hotel if we drove.
Not ideal but the best we could make of it'.

In complete contrast when Dover played at Gateshead they travelled by chartered jet courtesy of the owner.

This post has been edited by a view from outside: Dec 20 2015, 10:52 PM

+Quote Post
njd1959
post Dec 21 2015, 07:07 AM
Post #14

1st team regular

Nothing unusual in that. Happens week in week out lower down the football pyramid. You didn't say that they had stopped overnight in a hotel and I assume that not all the players are Devon based. I could sympathise if they drove up, played the game and drove back all in the same day.

+Quote Post
njd1959
post Dec 21 2015, 07:10 AM
Post #15

1st team regular

QUOTE (a view from outside @ Dec 20 2015, 10:46 PM) *

Kevin Nicholson -

'Yes we have driven to a couple of away games in cars. It was the best option budget considered as otherwise the players would be up at 6 to travel 6 hours and then play a game. I suggested it, the players agreed and so the club could afford the hotel if we drove.

In complete contrast when Dover played at Gateshead they travelled by chartered jet courtesy of the owner.

They flew up to Liverpool last month when they played at Chester.

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Dec 21 2015, 07:34 AM
Post #16

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

Given the bigger picture and taking sentiment away from the way the Torquay fans were on Saturday.
Relegation might even be the best thing for the club.

The next league down is a lot more regionalised ( Still cant get my head around Oxford City being in the NPL), they can buld up some momentum, and then ultimately the fan base back again.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Dec 21 2015, 09:32 AM
Post #17

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (njd1959 @ Dec 21 2015, 07:10 AM) *
QUOTE (a view from outside @ Dec 20 2015, 10:46 PM) *

Kevin Nicholson -

They flew up to Liverpool last month when they played at Chester.

Did they? It must be great being such a big club and able to support such luxuries biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Dec 21 2015, 09:49 AM
Post #18

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Dec 21 2015, 07:34 AM) *
Given the bigger picture and taking sentiment away from the way the Torquay fans were on Saturday.

The next league down is a lot more regionalised ( Still cant get my head around Oxford City being in the NPL), they can buld up some momentum, and then ultimately the fan base back again.

I see what you are saying. However, Torquay are in a tricky position even in a regionalised league. Quite a few clubs in the Con/S are in and around the London, home counties and kent area. These are often 400 mile round trips. Mind you they will have two 'local' derbies against Truro in Cornwall (170 mile round trip) and the local derby against Bath City (250 miles round trip) Oh and of course the more 'local' of the clubs to Torquay...Weston super mare (162 miles round trip)

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Dec 21 2015, 10:33 AM
Post #19

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1562

The thing that would concern me if I were a Torquay fan is the complete lack of fight and desire. palpable and frightening.

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
Juan King
post Dec 21 2015, 10:39 AM
Post #20

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1240

QUOTE (waggoner @ Dec 21 2015, 09:49 AM) *

I see what you are saying. However, Torquay are in a tricky position even in a regionalised league. Quite a few clubs in the Con/S are in and around the London, home counties and kent area. These are often 400 mile round trips. Mind you they will have two 'local' derbies against Truro in Cornwall (170 mile round trip) and the local derby against Bath City (250 miles round trip) Oh and of course the more 'local' of the clubs to Torquay...Weston super mare (162 miles round trip)

Torquay are actually groundsharing with Truro City from next season so there's a 170 mile round trip they'd not have to complete - On the other hand though, spare a thought for
all the truro fans who'll have to make that trek to Torquay every other week for a 'home' game !!!

--------------------
If you see a bloke opening a Car door for a woman,
It's either a new car or a new woman.

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Dec 21 2015, 04:34 PM
Post #21

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (Juan King @ Dec 21 2015, 10:39 AM) *
QUOTE (waggoner @ Dec 21 2015, 09:49 AM) *

Torquay are actually groundsharing with Truro City from next season so there's a 170 mile round trip they'd not have to complete - On the other hand though, spare a thought for
all the truro fans who'll have to make that trek to Torquay every other week for a 'home' game !!!

Well Truro If they got relegated would at least have a local derby against Guernsey biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
steveo1
post Dec 23 2015, 01:49 PM
Post #22

1st team captain

Member No.: 217

I thought they were absolutely superb and travelled in decent numbers considering a week before Christmas and the dross they are watching, the fans never shut up all game either, more noise than most travelling supporters we get at the deva, good to see.

--------------------
Deva Chat F.C

World Cup Doubles Champion - 28/7/05

'A member of the DCFC Prankster Organisation'

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2018 - 08:13 PM