Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fundraising Idea
1 Paul Carden
post Jun 5 2015, 12:48 PM
Post #1

1st team stalwart

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1481

Probably been mooted before, but why don't we stick a couple of squadbuilder bins in the entrance/exit for each stand for people to throw loose change into? I reckon most people would stick in a couple of quid a month at least. Would all add up.

--------------------
City Fans United
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Jun 5 2015, 02:46 PM
Post #2

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

QUOTE (1 Paul Carden @ Jun 5 2015, 01:48 PM) *
Probably been mooted before, but why don't we stick a couple of squadbuilder bins in the entrance/exit for each stand for people to throw loose change into? I reckon most people would stick in a couple of quid a month at least. Would all add up.

Very good idea. Will it be taken up?

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Jun 5 2015, 02:52 PM
Post #3

1st team captain
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2156

Excellent idea but probably yet another one that the Board will fail to take up.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Jun 5 2015, 03:14 PM
Post #4

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

Can a mod pin this thread?

Anything to do with fundraising ideas is absolutely critical to our club. That way DC members and club officials can easily view any ideas generated on this board without trawling through x amount of posts on here (and board members at the club can be pointed to this thread for reference). Obviously not every idea is workable, but I bet a lot of ideas generated by members on here are worth - at least - looking into.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Jun 5 2015, 03:28 PM
Post #5

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

Other fundraising ideas:

- Relaunch the 'Buy a Brick' Campaign (providing this is cost effective) this could be implemented for the main stand (not by the ticket office) to help to cover up the ghastly breeze blocks that make up the main stand. Say £20/£25 a pop, short message or your name included on it, and then that becomes a part of the ground (we are a club for the fans afterall!) Market it out to existing CFU membership in the newsletter, mailshots out to the local papers, on the official website and advertise it with leafletting in the match-day programmes (or hand out to each punter that comes in through the gate so you are capturing everyone's attention).

Quick search online has found an engraved brick fundraising site: http://www.engravebricks.co.uk/

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Jesse James Ride...
post Jun 5 2015, 05:50 PM
Post #6

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 9027

I suggested this last season to one of the fundraisers, Who thought it a no goer. Although recently I've seen metallic beer barrels used
for collections at both Northwich1874 and FC Utd. to good effect.
If a collection barrel was at each exit it's quite easy just to tip up your spare/loose change. If most just put in 20-50p (some would put
in more) it could possibly add up to 500 quid each match. Which could just help boost Steve Burr's 'War Chest" in the later stages of the season.
Will put forward suggestions when next get the chance.

#ComeOnYouBlues

--------------------
STILL SMILING + 31 : 08 : 2013 + You had to be there

+Quote Post
Juan King
post Jun 5 2015, 05:53 PM
Post #7

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1240

QUOTE (Jesse James Rides Again @ Jun 5 2015, 06:50 PM) *

I suggested this last season to one of the fundraisers, Who thought it a no goer. Although recently I've seen metallic beer barrels used
for collections at both Northwich1874 and FC Utd. to good effect.
If a collection barrel was at each exit it's quite easy just to tip up your spare/loose change. If most just put in 20-50p (some would put
in more) it could possibly add up to 500 quid each match. Which could just help boost Steve Burr's 'War Chest" in the later stages of the season.
Will put forward suggestions when next get the chance.

#ComeOnYouBlues

What reason did this person give for them seeing it as a no goer ?

--------------------
If you see a bloke opening a Car door for a woman,
It's either a new car or a new woman.

+Quote Post
silverblue
post Jun 5 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #8

Squad player

Member No.: 7725

I have recently attended my first fundraising committee, at my next one I shall bring this up. I think it's an excellent idea and would also like to hear why it's a no goer

+Quote Post
Ean
post Jun 5 2015, 07:26 PM
Post #9

chester football club supporter
Group Icon

Member No.: 2289

this with the barrel idea whats not to like , easy way for people to get rid of there small change

--------------------
I'M A FOOL

WHY DON'T YOU BECOME ONE TOO

bugler for the masses
west stand
golf pro to the stars
well nwas anyway

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jun 5 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #10

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Ean @ Jun 5 2015, 08:26 PM) *

this with the barrel idea whats not to like , easy way for people to get rid of there small change

Possible theft risk is all I can think of, but I agree that it's a good idea.

+Quote Post
wxmred
post Jun 5 2015, 07:40 PM
Post #11

Squad player

Member No.: 4576

QUOTE (XWWB @ Jun 5 2015, 08:30 PM) *

your fan's come up with some good idea's, but why doesn't your committee take them up? is to much work.

+Quote Post
sealandkopite
post Jun 5 2015, 07:49 PM
Post #12

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 7864

From Red Passion...

I rarely go on Deva Chat but I had a quick look just now and saw the below
thread:

"Probably been mooted before, but why don't we stick a couple of squadbuilder bins in the entrance/exit for each stand for people to throw loose change into? I reckon most people would stick in a couple of quid a month at least. Would all add up."

Have we tried anything like this before? If we get good gates we could make a couple of hundred quid per home match. I would certainly throw my shrapnel into it.

And....

It would be great if we could do it. I reckon it's a win win situation. Those lot down the road just talk about ideas but never do anything it so how good would it look if we took this on and got the money in. We could also give updates as to how much money is being raised to increase interest even further.

You seem to be quite close to the club and you did a cracking job in promoting the early bid season ticket offer. Could you take this forward?

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Jun 5 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #13

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

Since they were first used around 2008 the DF barrels at FC home + away matches have collected around £70,000 in loose change and random foreign currency.

+Quote Post
Ean
post Jun 5 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #14

chester football club supporter
Group Icon

Member No.: 2289

citysign.GIF I am sure we could add some cleats and bolt them to the floor , in fact I know you can cos that's what I do simples

--------------------
I'M A FOOL

WHY DON'T YOU BECOME ONE TOO

bugler for the masses
west stand
golf pro to the stars
well nwas anyway

+Quote Post
Jesse James Ride...
post Jun 5 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #15

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 9027

QUOTE (Ean @ Jun 5 2015, 09:07 PM) *

citysign.GIF I am sure we could add some cleats and bolt them to the floor , in fact I know you can cos that's what I do simples

That's another job you can do Ean biggrin.gif bowdown.gif We just need to get it Okayed

--------------------
STILL SMILING + 31 : 08 : 2013 + You had to be there

+Quote Post
1 Paul Carden
post Jun 11 2015, 10:54 AM
Post #16

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1481

I've been thinking more about this and surely it's a no brainer. It's so much easier to implement and probably more lucrative than asking people to donate through a standing order/squadbuilder/easyfunding. That is by no means a criticism of those things as they all bring in much needed revenue, however, asking someone to chuck a couple of quid in a bucket (make them eye catching) is surely far easier than getting somebody to set up a standing order etc. To ask people to put more money into the club we have to make it absolutely p**s easy to do so. You don't get much easier than chucking loose change into a bucket.

--------------------
City Fans United

+Quote Post
Marty Funkhouser
post Jun 11 2015, 11:22 AM
Post #17

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8363

QUOTE (1 Paul Carden @ Jun 11 2015, 11:54 AM) *
I've been thinking more about this and surely it's a no brainer. It's so much easier to implement and probably more lucrative than asking people to donate through a standing order/squadbuilder/easyfunding. That is by no means a criticism of those things as they all bring in much needed revenue, however, asking someone to chuck a couple of quid in a bucket (make them eye catching) is surely far easier than getting somebody to set up a standing order etc. To ask people to put more money into the club we have to make it absolutely p**s easy to do so. You don't get much easier than chucking loose change into a bucket.

It's a good idea, and one that's certain to be discussed at the next Fundraising Committee meeting. There are a couple of things to remember though. Firstly, we have a number of charity days every season, with people with collection boxes outside the ground. It's not fair, or feasible, to have two sets of people in competition, both rattling boxes. With this in mind I reckon the boxes would have to be unmanned and located inside the stadium. This requires them to be well constructed and located in places that are both prominent but do not constitute an obstruction (not easy). I've done a bit of research and these fixed boxes are eye-wateringly expensive, so it would be best if someone (a fan) could manufacture them for us.

Also, talking from experience, I don't think the returns would be as great as some people anticipate. Having tried to flog £1 raffle tickets outside the Blues Bar it dismays me to say that a lot of Chester fans just aren't interested. Indeed some people seem genuinely offended when you ask them if they want to buy a ticket. You'd get a better reaction from some people if you told them you'd just run over their dog.

As I've said, there are obstacles to installing these boxes, but they are not insurmountable. However our biggest obstacle to really achieving significant amounts is the attitude of a large rump of the fan base who view any fundraising activity with suspicion.

Right, now I've got that off my chest I'll put on my tin helmet.

This post has been edited by Marty Funkhouser: Jun 11 2015, 11:29 AM

--------------------
If you can

+Quote Post
bournemouthblue
post Jun 11 2015, 11:36 AM
Post #18

Chesters Number 7

Member No.: 3988

Wouldn't it be great if we could have a real push with getting donations for the squad Builder.

If we could get 2000 fans to pay just £2 per month that would be an extra 48K of extra funds for Steve Burr.

Why don't the club make a real go for something like this and create simple forms that are handed out at the turnstiles for the pre-season games to sign up for £2 a month.

A campaign like this surely would have a positive effect because people will then feel a small contribution like £2 will make a difference joined with everyone else's matched/similar donation.

I don't think 2000 fans is too high a target either considering we have 1500 die hard fans minimum as it is. Just an idea?

As to me it just seems to be the Squad builder is not being fully utilized or promoted, correct me if i am wrong!

"Give up a pint a month for Chester FC..."

--------------------
COME ON CITY, COME ON CITY!

+Quote Post
artyfarty
post Jun 11 2015, 12:01 PM
Post #19

Youth team

Member No.: 9009

Best place for these loose change bins would be in the kiosks. If we tweaked the prices slightly for food/drinks, then people would be more inclined to throw their change in the squad builder bin. Also, put squad builder tins on the bar in the blues bar - I'm sure thye would fill up most match days.

+Quote Post
Upton Wirral Blu...
post Jun 11 2015, 12:11 PM
Post #20

Youth team

Member No.: 8456

I can offer to do a Race Night for Squad Builder free of charge and if anyone is interested in taking this up they can PM me.
A properly organised Race Night should generate £1000 - £1500 with sponsorship and horse owners but would need 2/3 people to do the background effort!

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Jun 11 2015, 01:44 PM
Post #21

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (bournemouthblue @ Jun 11 2015, 12:36 PM) *
Wouldn't it be great if we could have a real push with getting donations for the squad Builder.

If we could get 2000 fans to pay just £2 per month that would be an extra 48K of extra funds for Steve Burr.

Why don't the club make a real go for something like this and create simple forms that are handed out at the turnstiles for the pre-season games to sign up for £2 a month.

A campaign like this surely would have a positive effect because people will then feel a small contribution like £2 will make a difference joined with everyone else's matched/similar donation.

I don't think 2000 fans is too high a target either considering we have 1500 die hard fans minimum as it is. Just an idea?

As to me it just seems to be the Squad builder is not being fully utilized or promoted, correct me if i am wrong!

Of course it goes without saying that for ONE POUND A MONTH you could become a CFU member to!
It is amazing how small collections can build up,the bottle the Senior Blues had in the Blues Bar raised quite a lot of money to go towards the Wheelchair access fund.
I have two of the loose change boxes at home,I have already filled two with just copper,and am already on a another two,I was told that the copper collections have raised over two thousand pounds alone.
It's YOUR club,so you can achieve what you want for this club by your own efforts, financially or otherwise.
I bought both bricks and pieces of the pitch at Sealand Road,and I think it's a great way of raising cash,but it must be accompanied by recognition in someway with a plaque ( like the one done for the window buyers in the Blues Bar) so that it shows everyone that things are being done and recognised.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
I O CITY CITY I ...
post Jun 11 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #22

H-Block

Member No.: 2120

QUOTE (Marty Funkhouser @ Jun 11 2015, 12:22 PM) *

It's a good idea, and one that's certain to be discussed at the next Fundraising Committee meeting. There are a couple of things to remember though. Firstly, we have a number of charity days every season, with people with collection boxes outside the ground. It's not fair, or feasible, to have two sets of people in competition, both rattling boxes. With this in mind I reckon the boxes would have to be unmanned and located inside the stadium. This requires them to be well constructed and located in places that are both prominent but do not constitute an obstruction (not easy). I've done a bit of research and these fixed boxes are eye-wateringly expensive, so it would be best if someone (a fan) could manufacture them for us.

Also, talking from experience, I don't think the returns would be as great as some people anticipate. Having tried to flog £1 raffle tickets outside the Blues Bar it dismays me to say that a lot of Chester fans just aren't interested. Indeed some people seem genuinely offended when you ask them if they want to buy a ticket. You'd get a better reaction from some people if you told them you'd just run over their dog.

As I've said, there are obstacles to installing these boxes, but they are not insurmountable. However our biggest obstacle to really achieving significant amounts is the attitude of a large rump of the fan base who view any fundraising activity with suspicion.

Right, now I've got that off my chest I'll put on my tin helmet.

It has worked, as mentioned before.

I know we do other charity days, but surely the most important is raising essential funds for our club? That might be selfish, but sometimes you have to be.

Surely, painting a few black bins and putting them outside/inside each turnstile each game wouldn't be hard a task? Charge £13 etc to get in and most will put that £2 in the bin. Soon add up.

I'm proper envious of how Wrexham/FCUM get behind stuff and work to make their club a success. We're s**t at at.

--------------------
"...you must be prepared to die for the cause" - Harry McNally.

Do not use signature that may offend the easily offended.

+Quote Post
the salesman
post Jun 11 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #23

1st team regular

Member No.: 7541

I was on the fundraising committee for 14 months, and we came up with some brilliant ideas, but sadly hardly any were taken up. the people on it then were all top people, but people started to drop away as I eventually did because we had no support from the people who were then in charge. sad but true

+Quote Post
scottie83
post Jun 11 2015, 07:48 PM
Post #24

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 10169

QUOTE (bournemouthblue @ Jun 11 2015, 12:36 PM) *

I like your idea of getting more people signed up for squad builder. Do you have any ideas of promoting it better?

+Quote Post
sealandkopite
post Jun 11 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #25

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 7864

QUOTE (the salesman @ Jun 11 2015, 07:46 PM) *
I was on the fundraising committee for 14 months, and we came up with some brilliant ideas, but sadly hardly any were taken up. the people on it then were all top people, but people started to drop away as I eventually did because we had no support from the people who were then in charge. sad but true

This, along with unanswered e-mails, is probably why people stop bothering to help

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2018 - 02:53 AM