Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Development squad, Anything to report
shunter blue
post Aug 28 2013, 09:59 AM
Post #1

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 9054

Am I alone in thinking that the hope that we could produce our own players is forlorn.
We're into our 4th season and we've had an odd appearance from Joe Ormrod and Tom Peers.
Is there any light at the end of the tunnel. Joe has left (I believe) and Tom's not considered good enough for a team 2 leagues below us.
I'm concerned that the money we spend on this is a luxury we can't afford and could be better spent on a defender.
I'm happy to be told I'm talking rubbish. Any views???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hugh Jass
post Aug 28 2013, 10:05 AM
Post #2

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2181

QUOTE (shunter blue @ Aug 28 2013, 10:59 AM) *
Am I alone in thinking that the hope that we could produce our own players is forlorn.
We're into our 4th season and we've had an odd appearance from Joe Ormrod and Tom Peers.
Is there any light at the end of the tunnel. Joe has left (I believe) and Tom's not considered good enough for a team 2 leagues below us.
I'm concerned that the money we spend on this is a luxury we can't afford and could be better spent on a defender.

So you think we shouldnt have any kind of youth set up?

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Aug 28 2013, 10:11 AM
Post #3

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 5404

I believe we do need a youth set up . But i also get the impression that the management team prefer the finished article .

+Quote Post
nicksonmatt
post Aug 28 2013, 10:16 AM
Post #4

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1289

The youth development squad is essential for our football club.

--------------------
Chester F.C established 21st May 2010.

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Aug 28 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 11

Come see for yourself tonight SB, youth team at home on County Officers at 6.30pm. Both sides (u17 and youth) currently unbeaten in the League.

At 17 Tom wasn't what Witton need after their worst League start in 90 years. Anyone who has seen the boy play will tell you the potential is massive, as their is with several others.

As regards the money, I'd argue without the investment the club will lose long term, and know how much work goes in by volunteers that will one day bear substantial fruit. Otherwise some of the local talent we are currently nurturing will turn up elsewhere when they should be at their local club.

As above, all are welcome to attend any of the games (see website), or training sessions (juniors Wed 6pm at Uni) to see what the set up is about.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Chris
post Aug 28 2013, 10:34 AM
Post #6

1st team legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 18

All it takes is one player to break through and become our next Rush, or Collins/Walters/Sarcevic. That won't happen every year.

+Quote Post
Rob
post Aug 28 2013, 10:38 AM
Post #7

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2063

We do appear reluctant to give them a go, but not sure now is the best time for a youth striker to be in the team. Would not get the service.

+Quote Post
McSeal
post Aug 28 2013, 10:43 AM
Post #8

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

What does it cost us to run the youth set up. £30k ?

Money well spent in my book. Probably also gets some money coming back in to the club in various ways to offset the layout. Extra specific sponsorship, youth players and family becoming CFC fans and going to games when they otherwise wouldn't. Nevermind the possibility of some of these kids making it in the game with us or snaffled by bigger clubs with us getting compensation.

+Quote Post
mused
post Aug 28 2013, 11:07 AM
Post #9

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

You're talking rubbish. It's already been done to death when we had a clamber to scrap the youth and sign Ben Mills(that would have been a great investment, wouldn't it?!)
In terms of what the youth is costing this season, we might be able to afford Dave Artell's left arm pit with that money!

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
Hugh Jass
post Aug 28 2013, 11:35 AM
Post #10

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2181

QUOTE (mused @ Aug 28 2013, 12:07 PM) *

You're talking rubbish. It's already been done to death when we had a clamber to scrap the youth and sign Ben Mills(that would have been a great investment, wouldn't it?!)
In terms of what the youth is costing this season, we might be able to afford Dave Artell's left arm pit with that money!

That was always my favourite part of Dave that

+Quote Post
scottie83
post Aug 28 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #11

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 10169

QUOTE (Hugh Jass @ Aug 28 2013, 12:35 PM) *

As a community club it is a must that we have a youth development set up. Alot of hard work is being put into this and do many people are giving up there time to deal with this area of the club. Youth development squads take time, not all the players will make it unfortunatley.
There are companies who are sponsoring the set up.
Tom Peers has the talent, I doubt throwing him into the first team now would aid his development. So come on let's not start having a thread debating whether we should have a youth development squad when we are a community club.

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Aug 28 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #12

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Cost to the club this year is a third of that. The section will cover a third through sponsorship, fundraising and parent contributions, and the community trust are to find funding for the final third. 60% of what the section spend is on pitches for training and games. The saving to the club when our own facilities can be worked out accordingly. Nobody in the section gets paid for their time, and last year the section banked 12500 hours of volunteer time. We would anticipate this to grow this year by 25%. People are putting their time, effort and money into producing talent for this club, and anyone who watches our lads will tell you that it is the goose that will one day lay the golden egg. It just needs time, encouragement and patience.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Henry
post Aug 28 2013, 01:00 PM
Post #13

1st team regular

Member No.: 3667

QUOTE (scottie83 @ Aug 28 2013, 12:26 PM) *

As a community club it is a must that we have a youth development set up. Alot of hard work is being put into this and do many people are giving up there time to deal with this area of the club. Youth development squads take time, not all the players will make it unfortunatley.
Tom Peers has the talent, I doubt throwing him into the first team now would aid his development. So come on let's not start having a thread debating whether we should have a youth development squad when we are a community club.

If I may name drop, I sat next to Bill Shankley at a match and we discussed youth teams. I was his view that small Clubs were best served by recruiting young players who have not made it at the big clubs because they have been selected to join the bigger clubs on the basis that they had a natural talent.

He said that trying to find a 10 year old who might make it "big" and has been overlooked by all the scouts is nearly impossible and for every youth player that makes it into the
first team many hundreds don't and for small culbs it is very expensive .

Crewe have often signed young Ex- MU players and developed them before selling them on.

I thought that it was an interesting theory from a man who knew nothing about football !!!.

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Aug 28 2013, 01:14 PM
Post #14

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sir Henry @ Aug 28 2013, 02:00 PM) *

If I may name drop, I sat next to Bill Shankley at a match and we discussed youth teams. I was his view that small Clubs were best served by recruiting young players who have not made it at the big clubs because they have been selected to join the bigger clubs on the basis that they had a natural talent.

He said that trying to find a 10 year old who might make it "big" and has been overlooked by all the scouts is nearly impossible and for every youth player that makes it into the

Crewe have often signed young Ex- MU players and developed them before selling them on.

I thought that it was an interesting theory from a man who knew nothing about football !!!.

Numerous examples, but a recent one. Crewe had Nick Powell at 5 years old. Sold him to Manchester United last season for up to £6m.

We pick up a number of young lads between 9 and 18 who have been at Premier League and Football League academies. Some really flourish, some are really burned by the experience. Although the talent may be there, the want and hunger isn't.

Where we have boys in at 9, 10, 11 they will flourish under the quality of the coaching they will receive. We have boys now at 14 we have had for 3 years, but some have been released. Constant improvement is the key, and some of the boys who come in may not have been at academies.

It is a fine balancing act, and takes a mix of all. There are diamonds out there, but you find nothing if you are not looking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rimmersring
post Aug 28 2013, 01:15 PM
Post #15

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 10799

QUOTE (NWAS @ Aug 28 2013, 01:43 PM) *

Cost to the club this year is a third of that. The section will cover a third through sponsorship, fundraising and parent contributions, and the community trust are to find funding for the final third. 60% of what the section spend is on pitches for training and games. The saving to the club when our own facilities can be worked out accordingly. Nobody in the section gets paid for their time, and last year the section banked 12500 hours of volunteer time. We would anticipate this to grow this year by 25%. People are putting their time, effort and money into producing talent for this club, and anyone who watches our lads will tell you that it is the goose that will one day lay the golden egg. It just needs time, encouragement and patience.

If you run a youth set up to its full potential it comes very costly, i think it cost Crewe's and Wrexhams over £100.000
per year, but on saying that Wrexham have had five players come through this season, and four playing in the first team last week with Bradley Reid being watched by a lot of the bigger clubs...but it can be a double edged sword, you really have to make sure you produce them to get a return on your investment..a lot of teams find it easier to rely on the loan system and get more experience ...

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Aug 28 2013, 01:31 PM
Post #16

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

QUOTE (rimmersring @ Aug 28 2013, 02:15 PM) *

If you run a youth set up to its full potential it comes very costly, i think it cost Crewe's and Wrexhams over £100.000
per year, but on saying that Wrexham have had five players come through this season, and four playing in the first team last week with Bradley Reid being watched by a lot of the bigger clubs...but it can be a double edged sword, you really have to make sure you produce them to get a return on your investment..a lot of teams find it easier to rely on the loan system and get more experience ...

The Crewe set up is self funding (see above), but all FL clubs attract academy funding of £160k plus to run. Wrexham's costs what it does due to the staff being paid, the parents cover them costs. We dont have that cost, but ask our parents to contribute towards laundry and training costs where applicable.

I'd kill for £100K RR, but would encourage anyone to come and see what we do and tell me it is any better elsewhere. We just get less time with the kids (academies have 3 training sessions per week, and u17 and above are full time scholars). All in good time though, we are only 3 years in.

I would also agree that the players need to be in the shop window to prove themselves, but would say that if Andy Morrell had had the budget for another centre forward that Bradley Reid may not have been given the chance that he has.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mused
post Aug 28 2013, 02:05 PM
Post #17

1st team captain

QUOTE (Sir Henry @ Aug 28 2013, 02:00 PM) *

Theo Walcott never kicked a ball competitively until he was about 13.

Crewe have been developing their own players for 30 years now. I'm not going to pretend it hasn't cost them an awful lot of money, but through this process they have developed their ground and training facilities and they have produced team after team of local boys whilst also producing several England internationals at various levels. Ashton, murphy and jones to name three who to the best of my knowledge were never at clubs previously.

Give me a local, home grown boy, ahead of some numpty from Rotherham who couldn't give a toss, any day of the week.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Aug 28 2013, 02:07 PM
Post #18

Reserve skipper

Thank you for all the very informative answers. The above answer was the only one that didn't contribute anything constructive. I'll be convinced that the youth set up is working when there are 3 or 4 ex-youth players in a team that is doing better than the current one. Thank you.

+Quote Post
Yin
post Aug 28 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #19

Squad player

Member No.: 10837

Right then where do i start,if you happy to be told you are talking rubbish like you say well you are talking rubbish.
It really beggars belief to read that the Youth set up should ever be put into any discussion as to its existance.
I regularly attend Youth games with my son and cannot commend enough the whole set up from top to bottom.
From the mini-kickers involving 70-90 toddlers every sunday during school terms to the Youth team topping the Northwest Youth Alliance league the Chester FC club crest is being portrayed all over the northwest of the country with the upmost proffesionalism.
I believe up to 200 young very talented players are on our books currently,with this brings many parents,grandparents and siblings through the turnstile and club shop all proud to be wearing the club crest.
Mr Shunter please have a word with yourself and give some thought next time to future posts.
The Youth set up is the least thing to worry about at the moment.

+Quote Post
mused
post Aug 28 2013, 02:19 PM
Post #20

1st team captain

QUOTE (shunter blue @ Aug 28 2013, 03:07 PM) *

Thank you for all the very informative answers. The above answer was the only one that didn't contribute anything constructive. I'll be convinced that the youth set up is working when there are 3 or 4 ex-youth players in a team that is doing better than the current one. Thank you.

I'm happy to be told I'm talking rubbish?!

SB, surely anyone with half an ounce of football knowledge would realise that these things take years to come to fruition? The set up is only in its third season and the people involved have worked miracles to get it where it is today.

I've always watched the youth teams at Chester and many years ago we had a good crop that took a Manchester city team, including Shaun wright-Phillips to a youth cup replay at Maine road. This team included Moss, Doughty, Blackburn, Lancaster and one or two others who made the first team and under different circumstances might have netted the team some money in transfers. My point is, those boys were all at the club for several years and developed over that time.

It frustrates the hell out of me that people are so short sighted to see how important developing our own players is to the future of this football club. In my very own humble opinion, of course!

This post has been edited by mused: Aug 28 2013, 02:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Henry
post Aug 28 2013, 02:24 PM
Post #21

1st team regular

Member No.: 3667

QUOTE (rimmersring @ Aug 28 2013, 01:15 PM) *

Fat lot of good it's doing them!!!.They might sell Reid and end up below the play off

+Quote Post
mused
post Aug 28 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #22

1st team captain

QUOTE (Sir Henry @ Aug 28 2013, 03:24 PM) *

Fat lot of good it's doing them!!!.They might sell Reid and end up below the play off

I don't take a great deal of notice to our friends from over the border but I got the feeling they placed all their eggs on getting promotion last season and I suspect only the money from two trips to wembley is hiding the fact they're losing shed loads of money. At one stage their budget was three times what ours is and there can't be that sort of money coming in through attendances and sponsorships.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yin
post Aug 28 2013, 03:19 PM
Post #23

Squad player

Member No.: 10837

To be fair i would guess wrexham are playing their best youngsters on the pretence that they are in the shop window,i too have heard that their 17 year old centre forward Bradley Reid and 18yr old midfielder Rob Evans play regular first team,the finances that could be brought in from their sale.
Last year they raised £100K + from the sale of their 18yr old goalkeeper Daniel Ward to Liverpool.

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Aug 28 2013, 03:44 PM
Post #24

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (mused @ Aug 28 2013, 03:19 PM) *
QUOTE (shunter blue @ Aug 28 2013, 03:07 PM) *

I'm happy to be told I'm talking rubbish?!

SB, surely anyone with half an ounce of football knowledge would realise that these things take years to come to fruition? The set up is only in its third season and the people involved have worked miracles to get it where it is today.

I've always watched the youth teams at Chester and many years ago we had a good crop that took a Manchester city team, including Shaun wright-Phillips to a youth cup replay at Maine road. This team included Moss, Doughty, Blackburn, Lancaster and one or two others who made the first team and under different circumstances might have netted the team some money in transfers. My point is, those boys were all at the club for several years and developed over that time.

It frustrates the hell out of me that people are so short sighted to see how important developing our own players is to the future of this football club. In my very own humble opinion, of course!

Mused I'm not against youth teams per se and the above example is a good one. To that list you could add Murphy. The point I'm making is that the current crop are going through the club and out the other end without making any impact apart from one poor appearance from Ormerod and a largely ineffectual performance from Peers at Worcester. Peers still has a chance of coming through as he's only 17. I've nothing but praise for the volunteers who are putting in hours bringing these lads on. I would ask though, when are we going to see a youth product as a regular in the first team?

+Quote Post
rimmersring
post Aug 28 2013, 03:50 PM
Post #25

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 10799

Well as a supporter, i would rather turn up for a match and watch our young players give 200% as opposed to a loanee brought in from another club who only send him out to get experience, but yes it is a risky business and one that has to be built up over many years, but they are expected to sell the likes of Bradley Reid and Nicky Rushden for big bucks to stay alive...but the beauty of it now is like us they are fan owned and all profits go straight back into the club and are not heavily diluted by a chairman and a board of sticky fingered directors in a bonus system .

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2018 - 09:41 AM