> "D-Day" 6th June 1944., "Least we forget"
Neil Fishers Big...
post Jun 6 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #1

Club Director
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2595

Leaving the English coast at 6.30 on the morning of the 6th of June 1944,195,700 British and Allied forces sailed off in 5,000 ships for the coast of France in the biggest sea launched invasion in history.
The sea was choppy,in fact the invasion had been delayed by a day because of bad weather , so not only were the soldiers apprehensive for what they were about face,many were sea-sick by the time the ships reached the Normandy coast.
One cannot imagine the thoughts of those men as the front of the landing craft went down as they approached the beaches,many were shot before they had even taken a step,many drowned as some of the craft released the men too early into deep water ,it must've been an horrific experience,to see one's friends and colleagues killed and wounded before their eyes,many still only teenagers,thankfully all the young ones reading this on here will never have to go through that experience again.
So let's just take a few moments to think of those men and boys who died or were wounded that day,because today we now have our freedom and liberty thanks to them. bowdown.gif
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc..._aQ&cad=rja
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc...6_g&cad=rja

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chester fc
post Jun 6 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #2

Youth team

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 5427

damn right. FUBAR

+Quote Post
archie thomas
post Jun 7 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #3

1st team captain
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 6230

never forgotten bowdown.gif

--------------------
dances with wolfs
we whistled and we sang till the sealand end rang and we won the heart of the sealand end.

champions 2010-2011 champions 2011-12 champions 2012-13

high on a hill stood a lonely goat . higher up the hill stood a bloody big wolf. .. 0-2 TO THE PUB TEAM

134 goals .. ALABI 17 GOALS SEASON 16/17

+Quote Post
Southern Blue
post Jun 8 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #4

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2331

I am very proud of my late grandfather who stormed Juno beach with the Canadians. He said the Canadians were nuts; they would deliberately sacrifice themselves for their mates, chomping at the bit to go first and blow themselves up in their efforts to clear a path through the mine laden beach. There is a picture of my Grampy on the boat on June 5th, leaving Southampton docks.

He said the reality was far worse than the film Saving Private Ryan. Men with their guts strewn on the beach trying to put them back in, Germans running screaming out of pill boxes ablaze after Tommy had put the flame throwers to them. Grim stuff indeed. I am always uncomfortable with the glorification of war, although undoubtedly there was no other way to defeat Hitler.

When I was 12 we cycled round Normandy and left some flowers on his best mate's war grave after spending over an hour looking for it; there were thousands. He was very touched when we brought a photo back. I can't imagine they were so young, both just 26.

--------------------
I want to play a game.

+Quote Post
Bambi_CCFC
post Jun 8 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #5

The MIGHTY MIGHTY Chester....

Member No.: 1490

Agree totally! Hopefully anniversaries such as this will stay at the front of our nation's memory.

This post has been edited by Bambi_CCFC: Jun 8 2011, 09:15 PM

--------------------
Northern Premier League Division One North Champions 2010/11

Northern Premier League Premier Division Champions 2011/12

Conference North Champions 2012/13

Supporters Direct Cup: Winners 2011
Peter Swailes Shield: Winners 2012
Cheshire Senior Cup: Winners 2013

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 01:40 PM