> Microsoft Word advice please - urgent
Mike
post Oct 28 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Occupier of G126
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 3145

I was sent a Wordpad document this morning, I opened it and have spent almost the last three hours working on it.
When I saved it, I got a message saying that it couldn't be saved in the current format but would be converted to rich text format instead. I clicked OK, then closed the document.

When I open it again now, all I get is a blank page; no writing, no formatting, nothing at all. Not only have I lost my own work, I've lost the original piece that was sent to me.

Does anyone know how I can recover this? The only alternative is to get it re-sent theis afternoon then start all over again.

Thanks, Mike.

--------------------
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” - Teddy Roosevelt.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SueC
post Oct 28 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #2

Best DC Exiled Poster for 2007, 2008 & 2009
Group Icon

Member No.: 110

QUOTE (Mike @ Oct 28 2009, 10:08 AM) *
I was sent a Wordpad document this morning, I opened it and have spent almost the last three hours working on it.
When I saved it, I got a message saying that it couldn't be saved in the current format but would be converted to rich text format instead. I clicked OK, then closed the document.

When I open it again now, all I get is a blank page; no writing, no formatting, nothing at all. Not only have I lost my own work, I've lost the original piece that was sent to me.

Does anyone know how I can recover this? The only alternative is to get it re-sent theis afternoon then start all over again.

Thanks, Mike.

Am not sure on this one.....But when you go to open it up, is there a drop down under the file name? If there is, can you try selecting rich text format and seeing what happens?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mike
post Oct 28 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #3

Occupier of G126
Group Icon

Thanks Sue, but no help.

Will it still be in a buffer or temporary file somewhere?

--------------------
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” - Teddy Roosevelt.

+Quote Post
SueC
post Oct 28 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #4

Best DC Exiled Poster for 2007, 2008 & 2009
Group Icon

Member No.: 110

QUOTE (Mike @ Oct 28 2009, 10:18 AM) *
Thanks Sue, but no help.

Will it still be in a buffer or temporary file somewhere?

I think it should be in a temporary file - at least the original. Have you tried going to the Start menu, then My Recent Documents? That should list all your recent documents and the original could be on that list.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris
post Oct 28 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #5

1st team legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 18

What's the file size of it now, Mike? Assuming you're on a PC, right-click the file and click Properties - you'll get the info there. Should give a better idea of whether the file is completely blank or whether it's still got data in it and is just failing to display to you for some reason.

+Quote Post
Mike
post Oct 28 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #6

Occupier of G126
Group Icon

QUOTE (Chris @ Oct 28 2009, 10:30 AM) *
What's the file size of it now, Mike? Assuming you're on a PC, right-click the file and click Properties - you'll get the info there. Should give a better idea of whether the file is completely blank or whether it's still got data in it and is just failing to display to you for some reason.

It says it's just 102 bytes. That's not good is it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris
post Oct 28 2009, 10:53 AM
Post #7

1st team legend
Group Icon

No, sounds like it's toast to me - pretty much a blank file, that. Not sure to what extent it'd be stored in memory or a temporary file, mind, but I think you're looking at an afternoon session unfortunately.

+Quote Post
Mike
post Oct 28 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #8

Occupier of G126
Group Icon

I've just got the original re-sent and will have to start again.

Thanks anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Oct 28 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #9

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 850

QUOTE (Mike @ Oct 28 2009, 11:26 AM) *
I've just got the original re-sent and will have to start again.

Thanks anyway.

Just a thought Mike,i assume it was sent via e-mail
Did you still have the e-mail?

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
Mike
post Oct 28 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #10

Occupier of G126
Group Icon

Just checked. The original was intact in the email, but not with the amendments I made.
Anyway, I've got another one now and will open it up in word or works and not notepad before I even start working on it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tom - chesterr
post Oct 28 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #11

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 4398

QUOTE (Mike @ Oct 28 2009, 10:08 AM) *

Thanks, Mike.

Normally when it can't be saved in the current format you have to click the drop down list and change the format. Happend a few times to me in college but i got it sorted.

ON your desktop page, have you got a recycle bin shorcut? if not think the recylcle bin is in control pannel. Have a look in their because sometimes when the file won't save in the current format it is sent to there.

--------------------
The future is bright, the future is blue and white!

+Quote Post
Chris
post Oct 28 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #12

1st team legend
Group Icon

So in summary, Tom, you think Mike should get rid of his computer and buy a new one?

smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2017 - 09:17 AM