post Sep 1 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #1

1st team captain

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 642

according to this on rotherhams footymad site

Millers 1 Chester City 1

by Footymad

Referee Graham Salisbury was blasted by Rotherham boss Mark Robins after The Millers missed their chance of leapfrogging high flyers Chester.

With seconds to go Chester's Kevin Ellison blocked a header from Ian Sharps with his hands and sparked a barrage of appeals from Rotherham players. But the referee waved away the spot kick claims and left Robins fuming.

Instead, both sides preserved their unbeaten start to the season but Rotherham had the better late chances to claim the points.

After a dismal goalless first half Rotherham went ahead when striker Chris O'Grady notched up his second goal of the season when he crashed in a fierce left foot shot after 56 minutes after springing the offside trap.

Chester, managed by former Millmoor goal ace Bobby Williamson, should have been level soon afterwards but defender Ian Sharps blocked a goalbound shot from John Murphy with his knee after Andy Warrington had pulled off a point blank save, injuring his shoulder in the process.

But the Blues finally grabbed the equaliser they deserved after 72 minutes when 17 year old Kevin Roberts, who was on as a second half sub, grabbed his first career goal.

The youngster, currently being tracked by Bolton and Spurs, powered a header that beat keeper Andy Warrnington but hit the post and rebounded kindly, allowing Roberts to head into the open goal.

Rotherham provided all the late drama and had the chances to claim the winner even before the last gasp penalty appeal. But Chester keeper John Danby was in defiant form pulling off a string of impressive late stops.

The best of the chances fell to O'Grady, Harrison and Stephen Brogan who all produced shots that could have seen Rotherham overtake
Chester but for the the efforts of the agile Danby, who also tipped over a Coughlan header at the death.

Mark Robins said of the controversy: "It was a definite penalty and we are very disappointed. For me from where I was there was no doubt and the lads all thought it was a penalty.

"He has put his arms up towards the ball. The referee said the incident was ball to hand but how can that be when he was moving his hands across your face and above his head?

"I'm really disappointed that we didn't take the three points but I think we looked sluggish throughout the game."

Chester manager Bobby Williamson diplomatically claimed: "Kevin Ellison told me the ball hit him in the face but I'll reserve my judgement until I've seen the video, players sometimes tell you things and make you into a liar.

"But I think we worked hard and deserved a point. This is a difficult venue to come to and Rotherham will win more here than they lose so we have to be happy with a point."

I Hope we keep hold of him, he looks a really good talent.

as for the penalty, i couldnt see a thing really, there must have been something in it, ive never seen a crowd react so definately as they did

This post has been edited by Jack!: Sep 1 2007, 06:28 PM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ali
post Sep 1 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #2

One step forward, two steps back!
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 47

With level headed specs on that's apparently a goal disallowed for offside that wasn't the week before, and a nailed on pen this week which could see us at least 4 points worse off so as I say feet on the ground please!

+Quote Post
Ean
post Sep 1 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #3

chester football club supporter
Group Icon

Member No.: 2289

citysign.GIF
just got back

thought they played the better football and upto the last ten mins we had more chances
we had two cleared off the line so a good draw

great show secound half

--------------------
I'M A FOOL

WHY DON'T YOU BECOME ONE TOO

bugler for the masses
west stand
golf pro to the stars
well nwas anyway

+Quote Post
Elwood P Dowd
post Sep 1 2007, 06:51 PM
Post #4

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 488

QUOTE (Ali @ Sep 1 2007, 07:24 PM) *
With level headed specs on that's apparently a goal disallowed for offside that wasn't the week before, and a nailed on pen this week which could see us at least 4 points worse off so as I say feet on the ground please!

Well I don't see how a ball blasted fronm a few yards away is a nailed on pen even if it does hit the hands. The point is we're not 4 points worse off. You could argue we should be 2 points better off after Murphy's perfectly good goal was disallowed first game of the season. Swings and roundabouts.

--------------------
“The boy Gedge has written some of the best love songs of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Era. You may dispute this, but I’m right and you’re wrong!” John Peel.

+Quote Post
Ali
post Sep 1 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Elwood P Dowd @ Sep 1 2007, 07:51 PM) *

Well I don't see how a ball blasted from a few yards away is a nailed on pen even if it does hit the hands. The point is we're not 4 points worse off. You could argue we should be 2 points better off after Murphy's perfectly good goal was disallowed first game of the season. Swings and roundabouts.

Murphs goal was a clear push, Dales goal was apparently onside (I don't know the overwhelming evidence has never been seen), today Robins has said Ellisons hands were above his head, once again I'm not sure but there's no point getting to carried away because we could be a lot worse off depending on the officials decisions, we got 3 points at Dale could have been none and 1 point today could have been none so we've 4 points that we may not have, these decisions will turn against us and no doubt some will be all doom and gloom when they do!!

+Quote Post
Elwood P Dowd
post Sep 1 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #6

1st team captain
Group Icon

Bloody hell Ali what are you wittering on about? If we hadn't scored any goals we'd have 2 points. Yeah right so some decisions go for you and some against. We've had plenty go against us already. I don't think anyone is getting too caried away, but we are definitely hard to beat and it's a good start.

And Murphy's goal was not a clear push...it was perfectly fine.

--------------------
“The boy Gedge has written some of the best love songs of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Era. You may dispute this, but I’m right and you’re wrong!” John Peel.

+Quote Post
IAN
post Sep 1 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #7

BARNEY DANIELS THE NEW "JESSE" JAMES

Member No.: 3074

QUOTE (Ali @ Sep 1 2007, 07:58 PM) *

Well I don't see how a ball blasted from a few yards away is a nailed on pen even if it does hit the hands. The point is we're not 4 points worse off. You could argue we should be 2 points better off after Murphy's perfectly good goal was disallowed first game of the season. Swings and roundabouts.

Murphs goal was a clear push, Dales goal was apparently onside (I don't know the overwhelming evidence has never been seen), today Robins has said Ellisons hands were above his head, once again I'm not sure but there's no point getting to carried away because we could be a lot worse off depending on the officials decisions, we got 3 points at Dale could have been none and 1 point today could have been none so we've 4 points that we may not have, these decisions will turn against us and no doubt some will be all doom and gloom when they do!!

When there is some decisions go for us there is doom and gloom anyway but only from you Ali!

--------------------
We are here for a good time not a long time.

+Quote Post
Ali
post Sep 1 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Elwood P Dowd @ Sep 1 2007, 08:31 PM) *
Bloody hell Ali what are you wittering on about? If we hadn't scored any goals we'd have 2 points. Yeah right so some decisions go for you and some against. We've had plenty go against us already. I don't think anyone is getting too carried away, but we are definitely hard to beat and it's a good start.

That's not what I'm saying dear, I'll try to explain in terms simple enough for youunderstand rolleyes.gif

Murphy fouled the Chesterfield player, I've seen it, he didn't complain about it according to you + 3

Against Dale they scored a goal, I couldn't tell whether it was offside or not, no video footage available - possible 3 points dropped according to me.

Rotherham, you said you couldn't see it, Robbins said he put his hands over his head, potential point dropped.

So if the officials had been worse/better we'd be significantly worse off than we currently are and had we been it would be doom and gloom, it's not and I'm trying to keep peoples feet on the ground is that so bad?!!

+Quote Post
Ali
post Sep 1 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (IAN @ Sep 1 2007, 08:39 PM) *

When there is some decisions go for us there is doom and gloom anyway but only from you Ali!

Here we go the alcopops are out, is it so difficult for you to understand that given different circumstance we could be a lot worse off points wise and to keep our feet on the ground is a wise move, especially after KC's tenure??

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Sep 1 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Ali @ Sep 1 2007, 08:43 PM) *
I'm trying to keep peoples feet on the ground is that so bad?!!

Of course it isn't, but I prefer to keep people's feet on the ground in a much more simpler way by saying we have only played four games this season.

Your argument can apply to every team in every division, and they all balance themselves out over the course of a season.

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 1 2007, 08:20 PM
Post #11

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

Too many ifs and buts in this thread...

One certain thing, we have 8 points from 4 games.

That is good. Make the most of it smile.gif

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
padraig36
post Sep 1 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #12

Padraig 36

Member No.: 147

Ali you have been watching football for donkey's years same as me. It even's itself out in a season as we are all well aware. So for christ's sake enjoy the moment. Chester City are second 4-2-4 second half against Dagenham, 4-3-3 second half against Rotherham when we were drawing both games at half time.
How F**King positive is that. Give the Manager and the team some Bloody credit. Born and bred in Manchester and watched City for 50 odd years, and Chester for 30years I should be suffering more than most, but tonight with a glass of Red in hand and Blackburn to look forward to tomorrow and Crewe on Tuesday Happy Days.

+Quote Post
padraig36
post Sep 1 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #13

Padraig 36

QUOTE (padraig36 @ Sep 1 2007, 09:25 PM) *

Ali you have been watching football for donkey's years same as me. It even's itself out in a season as we are all well aware. So for christ's sake enjoy the moment. Chester City are second 4-2-4 second half against Dagenham, 4-3-3 second half against Rotherham when we were drawing both games at half time.
How F**King positive is that. Give the Manager and the team some Bloody credit. Born and bred in Manchester and watched City for 50 odd years, and Chester for 30years I should be suffering more than most, but tonight with a glass of Red in hand and Blackburn to look forward to tomorrow and Crewe on Tuesday Happy Days.

Make that 40 odd years the wine has kicked in!! cityscarf.gif

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 1 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #14

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (padraig36 @ Sep 1 2007, 09:29 PM) *
Make that 40 odd years the wine has kicked in!! cityscarf.gif

Must be pretty good stuff! biggrin.gif

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
ANDERS
post Sep 1 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #15

Swedish Midfield Dynamo

Member No.: 2647

Roberts made the difference when he came on, Grant had a shocker, very poor. Surprised that Spurs and Bolton are interested, even we have not really seen alot of him.

Was he part of the youth side that knocked Spurs out of the youth cup last year?

--------------------
"We were lucky then, it's a good job he's sh*te!"

+Quote Post
Ali
post Sep 1 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Ali you have been watching football for donkey's years same as me. It Even's itself out in a season as we are all well aware. So for Christ's sake enjoy the moment. Chester City are second 4-2-4 second half against Dagenham, 4-3-3 second half against Rotherham when we were drawing both games at half time.
How F**King positive is that. Give the Manager and the team some Bloody credit. Born and bred in Manchester and watched City for 50 odd years, and Chester for 30years I should be suffering more than most, but tonight with a glass of Red in hand and Blackburn to look forward to tomorrow and Crew on Tuesday Happy Days.

Yes it evens itself out and once again I'll remind you that 90% of fans loved KC until it went wrong and then 90% wanted KC out, all you fans berating me now will be bitching later if we don't keep our feet on the ground!!

+Quote Post
padraig36
post Sep 1 2007, 09:12 PM
Post #17

Padraig 36

QUOTE (Ali @ Sep 1 2007, 09:52 PM) *

Ali you have been watching football for donkey's years same as me. It Even's itself out in a season as we are all well aware. So for Christ's sake enjoy the moment. Chester City are second 4-2-4 second half against Dagenham, 4-3-3 second half against Rotherham when we were drawing both games at half time.
How F**King positive is that. Give the Manager and the team some Bloody credit. Born and bred in Manchester and watched City for 50 odd years, and Chester for 30years I should be suffering more than most, but tonight with a glass of Red in hand and Blackburn to look forward to tomorrow and Crew on Tuesday Happy Days.

Yes it evens itself out and once again I'll remind you that 90% of fans loved KC until it went wrong and then 90% wanted KC out, all you fans berating me now will be bitching later if we don't keep our feet on the ground!!

Agree but for once be POSITIVE KC is History - Bobby could be the History!! Who knows............

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Sep 1 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #18

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

I just wish city fans would just enjoy the moment instead of looking for negatives,you need luck in football so just enjoy it cityscarf.gif cityscarf.gif cityscarf.gif

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Sep 1 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #19

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

QUOTE (Jack! @ Sep 1 2007, 07:17 PM) *
according to this on rotherhams footymad site

Millers 1 Chester City 1

by Footymad

Referee Graham Salisbury was blasted by Rotherham boss Mark Robins after The Millers missed their chance of leapfrogging high flyers Chester.

With seconds to go Chester's Kevin Ellison blocked a header from Ian Sharps with his hands and sparked a barrage of appeals from Rotherham players. But the referee waved away the spot kick claims and left Robins fuming.

Instead, both sides preserved their unbeaten start to the season but Rotherham had the better late chances to claim the points.

After a dismal goalless first half Rotherham went ahead when striker Chris O'Grady notched up his second goal of the season when he crashed in a fierce left foot shot after 56 minutes after springing the offside trap.

Chester, managed by former Millmoor goal ace Bobby Williamson, should have been level soon afterwards but defender Ian Sharps blocked a goalbound shot from John Murphy with his knee after Andy Warrington had pulled off a point blank save, injuring his shoulder in the process.

But the Blues finally grabbed the equaliser they deserved after 72 minutes when 17 year old Kevin Roberts, who was on as a second half sub, grabbed his first career goal.

The youngster, currently being tracked by Bolton and Spurs, powered a header that beat keeper Andy Warrnington but hit the post and rebounded kindly, allowing Roberts to head into the open goal.

Rotherham provided all the late drama and had the chances to claim the winner even before the last gasp penalty appeal. But Chester keeper John Danby was in defiant form pulling off a string of impressive late stops.

The best of the chances fell to O'Grady, Harrison and Stephen Brogan who all produced shots that could have seen Rotherham overtake
Chester but for the the efforts of the agile Danby, who also tipped over a Coughlan header at the death.

Mark Robins said of the controversy: "It was a definite penalty and we are very disappointed. For me from where I was there was no doubt and the lads all thought it was a penalty.

"He has put his arms up towards the ball. The referee said the incident was ball to hand but how can that be when he was moving his hands across your face and above his head?

"I'm really disappointed that we didn't take the three points but I think we looked sluggish throughout the game."

Chester manager Bobby Williamson diplomatically claimed: "Kevin Ellison told me the ball hit him in the face but I'll reserve my judgement until I've seen the video, players sometimes tell you things and make you into a liar.

"But I think we worked hard and deserved a point. This is a difficult venue to come to and Rotherham will win more here than they lose so we have to be happy with a point."

I Hope we keep hold of him, he looks a really good talent.

as for the penalty, i couldnt see a thing really, there must have been something in it, ive never seen a crowd react so definately as they did

If the lad is being tracked by premier clubs make them pay i say they have the money and, the more we get will it not affect what we could spend through income into the club,i hope the lad has a good long contract with us!

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post
Elwood P Dowd
post Sep 1 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #20

1st team captain
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mancot Shrew @ Sep 1 2007, 08:49 PM) *
I'm trying to keep peoples feet on the ground is that so bad?!!

Of course it isn't, but I prefer to keep people's feet on the ground in a much more simpler way by saying we have only played four games this season.

Your argument can apply to every team in every division, and they all balance themselves out over the course of a season.

Jesus, break out the bubbly...I agree with Mancot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elwood P Dowd
post Sep 1 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #21

1st team captain
Group Icon

QUOTE (Elwood P Dowd @ Sep 1 2007, 08:31 PM) *
Bloody hell Ali what are you wittering on about? If we hadn't scored any goals we'd have 2 points. Yeah right so some decisions go for you and some against. We've had plenty go against us already. I don't think anyone is getting too carried away, but we are definitely hard to beat and it's a good start.

Murphy fouled the Chesterfield player, I've seen it, he didn't complain about it according to you + 3

I've seen it as well, numerous times. He didn't foul him. And anyway, I believe the ref said he gave it for an "off the ball incident" did he not? And I have no idea what the "according to you + 3" is all about...have you been on the Stella again?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deva Boy Returns
post Sep 2 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #22

Formerly Deva Boy when I was living in Exile in Yorkshire
Group Icon

Member No.: 1081

Chatting to a bloke on the way back to the car yesterday who was an Everton scout, he was watching someone from Rotherham but couldn't failed to have been impressed by one or two from the Chester side.
He acknowledged Danby's fine performance.

cityscarf.gif

--------------------
In 2004 'Deva Boy' returned after three years exiled in Yorkshire and so, 'Deva Boy Returns'

CHESTER FC UNTIL THE SKY TURNS GREEN

'OUR CITY, OUR COMMUNITY, OUR CLUB'

+Quote Post
The King is Back
post Sep 2 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #23

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 3358

QUOTE (Ali @ Sep 1 2007, 08:46 PM) *
QUOTE (IAN @ Sep 1 2007, 08:39 PM) *

Here we go the alcopops are out, is it so difficult for you to understand that given different circumstance we could be a lot worse off points wise and to keep our feet on the ground is a wise move, especially after KC's tenure??

Ali
If you had gone instead of sitting infront of your pc then you would have noticed that
Murphys drive was over the line when it struck the defender lyiong in the goal,Ellison did raise his hands to protect his face from about two foot away
remember we lost three points at shrewsbury last year when they gave the pen when it was clearly ball to hand
so just relax and enjoy the fact we are still unbeaten

+Quote Post
Big Si
post Sep 2 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #24

Si Dutton
Group Icon

Member No.: 30

I read a lot of complaining on here last year about the penalty the Shrewsbury got at gay meadow when the ball was blasted at one of our defenders from not far away. It's natural protection, never a penalty.

--------------------
Cmon City, these are SH*TE

+Quote Post
Scott
post Sep 2 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #25

Up the seals

Member No.: 2029

Roberts is a great young talent that hopefully we will keep.

But if a top side comes in for him with a good fee I think we would accept.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2017 - 09:15 AM