Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Match Day experience ruined by..............
Harris
post Aug 23 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #1

Youth team

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 9137

By the P.A Announcer angry.gif Yesterday I took two fans who had not been for many years, hoping to encourage them back in to the fold. With all the SH*TE that has gone on over recent years, disillusioned fans are starting to filter back. Admittedly, the two I persuaded to come along, WERE enticed by the admission price and the prospect of seeing a win. But I was fighting a loosing battle to encourage these two back once the PA started up. Apart from being nearly deafened by the volume, it felt like we were being shouted at by some demented mobile disco jock crying.gif What used to be a football experience is being turned in to some corny adaptation of American sports. With fans being asked to applauded themselves and TOLD to get behind the Blues and get the Deva Rocking! One of my friends asked if it was usually like this and I had inform him that yes, this was not unusual for a home game at the Deva. Needles to say, I doubt they will be coming back anytime soon. I have read comments on DC for and against the PAA, but surely it's time to put him out to pasture? Get some new blood in, preferably one that does not think that they can in some way influence a football crowd with nauseating drivel. Come on CFU, it's time to move on, just look around at the fans shaking their heads and the away fans laughing at us! We want to encourage new fans, not repel them. I'm sure he is a nice chap, my uncle is a nice chap, but they have taken his driving licence off him, because he is not very good at driving anymore, despite him thinking the contrary!

This post has been edited by Harris: Aug 23 2012, 05:20 PM

--------------------
C'mon City, lets ave it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mike Griffiths
post Aug 23 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #2

1st team captain

Member No.: 1044

Are you seriously saying 2 people aren't coming back because cleggy asked us to get behind the lads and applauded us on behalf of the players? Wow, if they are offended that strongly by that, they must be very sensative little souls!!!!

--------------------
Chester FC - Its the future

+Quote Post
gogster
post Aug 23 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #3

1st team sub

Member No.: 4503

Yes at times Cleggy can be a tad excitable but I for one do not mind his efforts in the least. Cleggy on the PA should not deter in the slightest your friend’s enjoyment of the match as the announcements and encouragement he offers is before the match and at half time.

It's mainly about the football after all.

+Quote Post
Cooky
post Aug 23 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #4

Chester legend
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 701

Haha heard it all now.

+Quote Post
Jimmy Cooper
post Aug 23 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #5

Squad player

Member No.: 5306

It's got to be admitted that Cleggy does get embarrassing on occasion - well most of the time actually. Perhaps it's time he found someone else to annoy.

+Quote Post
Hackett
post Aug 23 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Squad player

Member No.: 9168

Delusional isn't the word.

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Aug 23 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #7

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

I can't understand how people could be deterred from going to the game because of an announcer. However, while I can put with Cleggy's drivel agree with the complaint about the volume - it is deafening in the middle of the East Stand and conversation is impossible - please sort it out.

+Quote Post
MPW
post Aug 23 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #8

1st team captain

Member No.: 1056

I'm surprised he hasn't quit already with the amount of unnecessary stick he gets on here.

+Quote Post
Bambi_CCFC
post Aug 23 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #9

The MIGHTY MIGHTY Chester....

Member No.: 1490

QUOTE (MPW @ Aug 23 2012, 08:27 PM) *
I'm surprised he hasn't quit already with the amount of unnecessary stick he gets on here.

Unnecessary is exactly the word.

We have this debate over and over. Cleggy does a good job, the last thing you want is a dull tannoy announcer. Cleggy certainly isnt dull!

--------------------
Northern Premier League Division One North Champions 2010/11

Northern Premier League Premier Division Champions 2011/12

Conference North Champions 2012/13

Supporters Direct Cup: Winners 2011
Peter Swailes Shield: Winners 2012
Cheshire Senior Cup: Winners 2013

+Quote Post
BTID(NBFC)
post Aug 23 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Boro Till I Die
Group Icon

Member No.: 261

Wow. Just wow.

--------------------
Deva Chat F1 Prediction League Champion 2007

+Quote Post
JEPSON
post Aug 23 2012, 08:10 PM
Post #11

I,m on this earth to please no-one except myself

Member No.: 495

QUOTE (Harris @ Aug 23 2012, 06:16 PM) *
By the P.A Announcer angry.gif Yesterday I took two fans who had not been for many years, hoping to encourage them back in to the fold. With all the SH*TE that has gone on over recent years, disillusioned fans are starting to filter back. Admittedly, the two I persuaded to come along, WERE enticed by the admission price and the prospect of seeing a win. But I was fighting a loosing battle to encourage these two back once the PA started up. Apart from being nearly deafened by the volume, it felt like we were being shouted at by some demented mobile disco jock crying.gif What used to be a football experience is being turned in to some corny adaptation of American sports. With fans being asked to applauded themselves and TOLD to get behind the Blues and get the Deva Rocking! One of my friends asked if it was usually like this and I had inform him that yes, this was not unusual for a home game at the Deva. Needles to say, I doubt they will be coming back anytime soon. I have read comments on DC for and against the PAA, but surely it's time to put him out to pasture? Get some new blood in, preferably one that does not think that they can in some way influence a football crowd with nauseating drivel. Come on CFU, it's time to move on, just look around at the fans shaking their heads and the away fans laughing at us! We want to encourage new fans, not repel them. I'm sure he is a nice chap, my uncle is a nice chap, but they have taken his driving licence off him, because he is not very good at driving anymore, despite him thinking the contrary!

i,d call you a bell-end but that would be an insult to a bell-end.

ps dont come to buckley town then cos i do the pa there and you woudn,t like it ph34r.gif

--------------------
The only good thing to come out of Wales

The road to England

+Quote Post
Marty Funkhouser
post Aug 23 2012, 08:13 PM
Post #12

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8363

He's a nice enough bloke no doubt, but sometimes he does get rather over-excited and surely nobody is beyond criticism. He also has the annoying habit (I find) of trying to shoehorn as many references to the 'Exacta Stadium' as humanly possible in one sentence without drawing breath. I'm sure we've all heard him shouting: 'AND TONIGHT AT THE EXACTA STADIUM WE WELCOME OUR VISITORS WORKINGTON TOWN TO THE EXACTA STADIUM FOR BLUE SQUARE NORTH ACTION AT THE EXACTA STADIUM FOR WHAT PROMISES TO BE AN EXCITING GAME HERE,...........AT THE EXACTA STADIUM'. Don't tell me I'm the only one to have spotted it.

--------------------
If you can

+Quote Post
The Colonel
post Aug 23 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #13

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4808

Nothing against Cleggy , who does a good job. Its the Volume its done at that the problem.

+Quote Post
ulster blue boy
post Aug 23 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #14

The North Terrace Posties are legends.
Group Icon

Member No.: 50

For Gods sake leave the bloke alone.

--------------------
IT ALL STARTED AT THE BRANDYWELL,THANKS GRANDAD.

ONCE A RANGER,ALWAYS A RANGER.(ROYAL IRISH THAT IS).
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CFU.

26/02/2010. NEED I SAY ANYMORE. I WILL. 10/03/2010. R.I.P. CCFC.

6TH MAY 2010,THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN.

EVO-STICK NORTH CHAMPIONS 2010-2011

EVO-STICK PREMIER CHAMPIONS 2011-2012

BLUE SQUARE NORTH CHAMPIONS 2012-2013

+Quote Post
Fred
post Aug 23 2012, 11:31 PM
Post #15

1st team regular

Member No.: 6247

QUOTE (Marty Funkhouser @ Aug 23 2012, 08:13 PM) *
He's a nice enough bloke no doubt, but sometimes he does get rather over-excited and surely nobody is beyond criticism. He also has the annoying habit (I find) of trying to shoehorn as many references to the 'Exacta Stadium' as humanly possible in one sentence without drawing breath. I'm sure we've all heard him shouting: 'AND TONIGHT AT THE EXACTA STADIUM WE WELCOME OUR VISITORS WORKINGTON TOWN TO THE EXACTA STADIUM FOR BLUE SQUARE NORTH ACTION AT THE EXACTA STADIUM FOR WHAT PROMISES TO BE AN EXCITING GAME HERE,...........AT THE EXACTA STADIUM'. Don't tell me I'm the only one to have spotted it.

Could be an EXACTA statement rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Aug 24 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #16

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

QUOTE (Bambi_CCFC @ Aug 23 2012, 08:54 PM) *

Unnecessary is exactly the word.

We have this debate over and over. Cleggy does a good job, the last thing you want is a dull tannoy announcer. Cleggy certainly isnt dull!

QUOTE (JEPSON @ Aug 23 2012, 09:10 PM) *
QUOTE (Harris @ Aug 23 2012, 06:16 PM) *

i,d call you a bell-end but that would be an insult to a bell-end.

ps dont come to buckley town then cos i do the pa there and you woudn,t like it ph34r.gif

QUOTE (The Colonel @ Aug 23 2012, 09:31 PM) *
Nothing against Cleggy , who does a good job. Its the Volume its done at that the problem.

QUOTE (ulster blue boy @ Aug 23 2012, 10:06 PM) *
For Gods sake leave the bloke alone.

Well said lads!

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post
Crispy Ninja
post Aug 24 2012, 01:20 AM
Post #17

1st team sub

Member No.: 8228

Don't be nasty

+Quote Post
1midfield genera...
post Aug 24 2012, 06:23 AM
Post #18

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8334

What a pair of utter clowns.

+Quote Post
Marty Funkhouser
post Aug 24 2012, 07:21 AM
Post #19

1st team stalwart

Jeesh, I've seen players, the Manager, directors, stewards and even ballboys getting ctiticised on here, so how come Cleggy is immune? The guy can't be that sensitive surely, after all he screams down a microphone for a couple of hours, alternate Saturdays. His enthusiasm should be applauded and heaven forbid we should go down the route of Liverpool FC, where their stadium announcer sounds like he's reading a shopping list, but please could he rein it in slightly. As well has reducing the PA volume, would he also resist shouting quite so loudly. That's it, not too much to ask really.

This post has been edited by Marty Funkhouser: Aug 24 2012, 07:22 AM

--------------------
If you can

+Quote Post
Rob
post Aug 24 2012, 09:20 AM
Post #20

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2063

Good job they did not meet Bill and Ben in the car park then!

+Quote Post
BlueandProud
post Aug 24 2012, 09:55 AM
Post #21

Squad player

Member No.: 9135

This thread should be deleted what a load of b******s

--------------------
Rimmer and Mills upfront and were premiership bound!!!

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Aug 24 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #22

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

Didn't someone called Dan Burns have a go once. He seemed to do a decent job.

+Quote Post
BlueandProud
post Aug 24 2012, 11:46 AM
Post #23

Squad player

Member No.: 9135

Cleggy for Wembley!!

--------------------
Rimmer and Mills upfront and were premiership bound!!!

+Quote Post
Marty Funkhouser
post Aug 24 2012, 11:49 AM
Post #24

1st team stalwart

Dan is Cleggy's number 2 and does the half-time 50/50 draw amongst other things. He also read out the away teamsheet on Wednesday night without the need to urge Workington fans to 'COME ON GET BEHIND THE TEAM' after every players name. I don't know either of them, but I think Cleggy should take a leaf out of Dan's book: he remains enthusiastic without the need to sound frenzied or hectoring.

--------------------
If you can

+Quote Post
Juan King
post Aug 24 2012, 11:49 AM
Post #25

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1240

QUOTE (BlueandProud @ Aug 24 2012, 10:55 AM) *
This thread should be deleted what a load of b******s

Why should it ? isn't this person entitled to pass on the comments of some people that he brought to the match ?

--------------------
If you see a bloke opening a Car door for a woman,
It's either a new car or a new woman.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2019 - 02:17 PM