Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welsh Premier League standards, At best Conference North, at the lower end Vodkat?
Harry Blaen
post Jun 12 2011, 03:34 PM
Post #1

born 2B blue

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 5237

This is a perennial (if purely hypothetical) debate on the WPL forum and it's been resurrected as it does every close (silly) season. Anyone who watched any of the Welsh Cup Final between WPL champions Bangor City and full-timers Llanelli on television in May would have been shocked at the standard of play and the lack of fitness in the players.

My take on it is that the top handful of sides over there might last at BSN level at best but that the lower placed clubs wouldn't stick the pace of the league we've just left. Unsurprisingly, advocates of the WPL see their product as generally being higher quality than that. There is talk of released WPL players being "snapped up" by clubs like Skelmersdale but the way I see it the flow is usually the other way, with players dropping out of the English pyramid for an easier ride in the WPL.

I wonder how others on this Blue side of the fence, at least those who watch a bit of WPL or Alliance football view the comparison?

--------------------
DEVA VICTRIX
XX
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chesterjon
post Jun 12 2011, 04:01 PM
Post #2

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2974

QUOTE (Harry Blaen @ Jun 12 2011, 04:34 PM) *
This is a perennial (if purely hypothetical) debate on the WPL forum and it's been resurrected as it does every close (silly) season. Anyone who watched any of the Welsh Cup Final between WPL champions Bangor City and full-timers Llanelli on television in May would have been shocked at the standard of play and the lack of fitness in the players.

My take on it is that the top handful of sides over there might last at BSN level at best but that the lower placed clubs wouldn't stick the pace of the league we've just left. Unsurprisingly, advocates of the WPL see their product as generally being higher quality than that. There is talk of released WPL players being "snapped up" by clubs like Skelmersdale but the way I see it the flow is usually the other way, with players dropping out of the English pyramid for an easier ride in the WPL.

I wonder how others on this Blue side of the fence, at least those who watch a bit of WPL or Alliance football view the comparison?

In those dark days not so long ago,when there was no Chester team in existence,myself and grand daughter chose to watch the Nomads of Connahs Quay.We were made very welcome,I must admit but of the 6 or 7 games we watched ,not one would compare to the evo-stik north! Maybe we were unlucky to see the teams on a "bad day" but the standard of play witnessed in the cup final would have been a fair reflection of the standard for the league as a whole
PS Apologies to Mancot who is the CQNomads 2Cleggie" englandsign.gif

+Quote Post
Big Si
post Jun 12 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #3

Si Dutton
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 30

I'd say the likes of TNS, Bangor and Neath would be comfortable in the Conference North, the rest being a mix of the lower half of this league we're in and top end of the Evo Stick North. With the exception of Newtown then most clubs have a couple of ex pro's who have dropped down the leagues - you'd imagine Lee Trundle would take the p**s at Evo Stick level. I remember Ronnie Morgan who was a goal machine at Cammell Lairds but couldn't hit a cows @rse with a a banjo at TNS, although Lairds did progress a few leagues quite quickly so someone may correct me as to what level he scored regularly at. The best people to ask about this would be the likes of George Horan who played at WPL level for years, or Ash Williams who played in the re-vamped WPL last season.

--------------------
Cmon City, these are SH*TE

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Jun 13 2011, 08:07 AM
Post #4

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 1562

North-West Counties level. The better players could make it in step 4.

Looks like Ash williams is a one-off, you have to look at connolly etc and say they were not up to it. (That said i think we were all suprised at the level last year).

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
Harry Blaen
post Jun 13 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #5

born 2B blue

Member No.: 5237

QUOTE (iandyChesterCity @ Jun 13 2011, 09:07 AM) *
North-West Counties level. The better players could make it in step 4.

Looks like Ash Williams is a one-off, you have to look at Connolly etc and say they were not up to it. (That said i think we were all surprised at the level last year).

MC has been (and maybe continues to be) an influential player at leading WPL clubs but failed to make much impression here. Horan, Williams, Wilde, Stones, Beck, Field and Taylor all played in the Welsh league with some success but not all have made the step up - if that's what it is.

--------------------
DEVA VICTRIX
XX

+Quote Post
bluesince72
post Jun 13 2011, 01:10 PM
Post #6

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 7763

A lot of blues fans pay the odd visit to watch our near neighbours, Airbus in the Welsh League and Vauxhall Motors in the conference North. To anybody who does this it becomes quickly evident that there is a huge gulf in standard between the two leagues, IMO Bangor or TNS would be totally out of there depth in the Conference North with their current squads. Id say that the top Welsh League teams are Evo North standard, with the rest North West Counties standard.

+Quote Post
Fathead The Glad...
post Jun 13 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #7

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1749

If you watched a Chester game on the telly I think we would all be shocked - as we're fed a high quality diet of Premeiership and European football on the box and no matter how we try and remove those images from our head to compare there is always that in the back of the mind.

Having said that, having watched a lot of WPL football this season and also seen us play, I don't think there was much difference last season in the quality of our play, and often the opposition appeared much worse than WPL. Horan and Stones were outstanding players though in the WPL and don't seem quite so in the Evostik. One major difference is the atmosphere at WPL games I've seen - apart from Rhyl/Prestatyn games they are crap with extremely poor crowds. We are light years ahead in terms of that.

--------------------
North Wales Chester FC Supporters Group

+Quote Post
rusty
post Jun 13 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #8

Squad player

Member No.: 4723

personally as a referee in the above leagues, standard of football isnt that bad, some nice upcoming grounds and some not so nice ones ... prob equivalent to vodcat

+Quote Post
BORDER BLUE
post Jun 13 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #9

victim of circumstance

Member No.: 1127

Its all subjective really. I remember watching Vauxhall against Stalybridge a couple years back, and it was one of the worst games of football I have seen. However a year before I went to see my first Airbus game on a Friday night when they beat Caernarfon Town I think 4-3, and it was really entertaining.

I think Bangor City are a very good Evo Stik North side, whereas Neath have the ability to play in Conference South with the players they have. The New Saints always flatter to deceive but they produce good players.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2019 - 09:30 PM