Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paul Baker..., ...the people's chairman
Mike Griffiths
post Mar 13 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #1

1st team captain

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1044

Is there anyone out there who cannot see what a positive step for our beloved club having Paul Baker as owner and chairman would be??? Finally we would have a Chester supporter in charge of our club, someone who genuinely wants the very best for this club and someone who would strive to make it happen. Yes he would make the odd mistake here and there, he is only human, but I for one would be proud to support my Chester City Football Club under Paul Baker's stewardship, no matter what division we played in and what league position we occupied. Of course the biggest plus would be that all the fans WOULD UNITE BEHIND HIM and any manager he would choose to appoint, and we could start repairing the damage of the MANY negative previous regimes we have endured and be proud of our little club once again.

The point of this post is to make it public that Paul Baker has my total support and unconditional backing.

--------------------
Chester FC - Its the future
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alan
post Mar 13 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #2

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2483

QUOTE (Mike Griffiths @ Mar 13 2008, 01:37 PM) *
Is there anyone out there who cannot see what a positive step for our beloved club having Paul Baker as owner and chairman would be??? Finally we would have a Chester supporter in charge of our club, someone who genuinely wants the very best for this club and someone who would strive to make it happen. Yes he would make the odd mistake here and there, he is only human, but I for one would be proud to support my Chester City Football Club under Paul Baker's stewardship, no matter what division we played in and what league position we occupied. Of course the biggest plus would be that all the fans WOULD UNITE BEHIND HIM and any manager he would choose to appoint, and we could start repairing the damage of the MANY negative previous regimes we have endured and be proud of our little club once again.

The point of this post is to make it public that Paul Baker has my total support and unconditional backing.

I completely and wholeheartedly agree.

--------------------
Alan Povey
Chairman of City Fans United
Email: alan.povey@chesterfc.com
Twitter: @AJPovey83

+Quote Post
Blue Boy
post Mar 13 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #3

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 115

One Paul Baker there's only one Paul Baker!

VAUGHAN OUT

BAKER IN

--------------------
"I'd ask him how he thinks it should be done, have a chat about it for twenty minutes and then decide I was right" Brian Clough

+Quote Post
barney
post Mar 13 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #4

Deadly Derek, King of the Combover

Member No.: 2913

Amen!

+Quote Post
Chester Lion
post Mar 13 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #5

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1498

Does Paul have any sons who like playing football? ph34r.gif

(thats a rhetorical question BTW biggrin.gif )

This post has been edited by Chester Lion: Mar 13 2008, 01:50 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (King Monkey @ Mar 5 2013, 11:34 PM) *
I love a good internet argument, much more fun than going out of the house and seeing real people.

"I have enough money to keep this club afloat for the rest of my life, should I wish to do it."

Gone but not forgotten, Stephen Vaughan ROT IN HELL!!!

+Quote Post
Crazy Badger
post Mar 13 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #6

Crazier than a box of...
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 1035

So say we all!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 13 2008, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Don't let the b'stards grind you down
Group Icon

Member No.: 337

Excellent post matey. Paul Baker...The Cestrian's Chairman. bowdown.gif

--------------------
Back after a sabbatical. Older, wiser, more grey.

+Quote Post
West Hampshire B...
post Mar 13 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #8

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 255

I agree that Paul would be a good choice, but I'm not convinced that he alone could afford to run the club, let alone buy it. I'm sure our revenue streams would be improved vastly and that there would be a feel good factor, but other supporter-run clubs have not found it easy. Passion is not enough on its own.

+Quote Post
1 Paul Carden
post Mar 13 2008, 01:54 PM
Post #9

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1481

cityscarf.gif Paul Baker cityscarf.gif

--------------------
City Fans United

+Quote Post
Alan
post Mar 13 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #10

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (West Hampshire Blue @ Mar 13 2008, 01:53 PM) *
I agree that Paul would be a good choice, but I'm not convinced that he alone could afford to run the club, let alone buy it. I'm sure our revenue streams would be improved vastly and that there would be a feel good factor, but other supporter-run clubs have not found it easy. Passion is not enough on its own.

He wouldn't need to run it on his own. I am sure Paul Baker could influence other investors onboard, get the council on side and the people of Chester and its surrounding areas. He has built up a successful business and I am sure to maintain that business he allows it to stay within its means.

--------------------
Alan Povey

+Quote Post
1 Paul Carden
post Mar 13 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #11

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1481

That's the thing. The club predicted this season's average gate would be 3300. Now, I believe that if the club was marketed properly and the smaller games were appropriately advertised along with the club being professional and respected off the field we clould get that as an average gate without too much difficulty. However, when things were rosy earlier this season, there was no impetus on the people of Chester to come to the games unless they read the back pages etc. With the right board in place we would be able to get those armchair fans down to the Deva, rather than whinging at the existing ones through the local media.

--------------------
City Fans United

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Mar 13 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #12

The Reaper
Group Icon

Member No.: 79

Obviously do not know Pauls financial position but his experience in running a business would in itself be a great asset. Also as a local business man he will have links to other local people and local councils to maybe help us. Alot also would depend on us fans and the support and help we can offer the club eg. The Trust running OWS, Woody doing the programme all these things have been done for the love of CCFC and at the moment have been lost but could be regained under Pauls leadership. I can only offer a financial commitment - if Paul Baker is owner of CCFC for next season I will re-new my season ticket. Maybe not much in the scheme of things but as the advert says - every little helps.

--------------------
"Entertainments may be taxed; public houses may be taxed… and the yield devoted to the general revenue. But motorists are to be privileged for all time to have the tax on motors devoted to roads? This is an outrage upon… common sense." Winston Churchill

+Quote Post
Alan
post Mar 13 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #13

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (1 Paul Carden @ Mar 13 2008, 02:02 PM) *
That's the thing. The club predicted this season's average gate would be 3300. Now, I believe that if the club was marketed properly and the smaller games were appropriately advertised along with the club being professional and respected off the field we clould get that as an average gate without too much difficulty. However, when things were rosy earlier this season, there was no impetus on the people of Chester to come to the games unless they read the back pages etc. With the right board in place we would be able to get those armchair fans down to the Deva, rather than whinging at the existing ones through the local media.

Nail on the head.

When you think about it, what is 3,500 people when the catchment of the area is so large?

--------------------
Alan Povey

+Quote Post
Chester Lion
post Mar 13 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #14

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1498

Paul is a sucessful business man. He wouldn't risk the money, time or effort required to buy and run the club without a plan of how he would do it.

As has been said before, someone like Paul would unite the fans and all the fans groups so that everyone was pulling in the same direction. No one is saying it would be easy, but the ends would justify the means.

I for one would volunteer my own skills and expertise free as often as possible to help Paul and the club... Thats not to say I wouldn't do the same to Mr Vaughan and CCFC now, I already have and surprise surprise I never heard a word. Difference is Bear has commercial sense, Mr Vaughan has lots of money no doubt but I wouldn't call him a business man.

--------------------
QUOTE (King Monkey @ Mar 5 2013, 11:34 PM) *
I love a good internet argument, much more fun than going out of the house and seeing real people.

"I have enough money to keep this club afloat for the rest of my life, should I wish to do it."

Gone but not forgotten, Stephen Vaughan ROT IN HELL!!!

+Quote Post
Mike Griffiths
post Mar 13 2008, 02:09 PM
Post #15

1st team captain

QUOTE (1 Paul Carden @ Mar 13 2008, 02:02 PM) *

Totally agree. We averaged over 3000 3 seasons running when everyone was behind vaughan, it is achievable even when we are not doing well on the pitch, like we weren;t for 2 of those 3 years, all it needs is a well run club people are proud to support.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mike Griffiths
post Mar 13 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #16

1st team captain

QUOTE (AndyHa @ Mar 13 2008, 02:04 PM) *

Obviously do not know Pauls financial position but his experience in running a business would in itself be a great asset. Also as a local business man he will have links to other local people and local councils to maybe help us. Alot also would depend on us fans and the support and help we can offer the club eg. The Trust running OWS, Woody doing the programme all these things have been done for the love of CCFC and at the moment have been lost but could be regained under Pauls leadership. I can only offer a financial commitment - if Paul Baker is owner of CCFC for next season I will re-new my season ticket. Maybe not much in the scheme of things but as the advert says - every little helps.

Good post again.

To add, if Paul Baker took over the club i would gladly take up a voluntary and unpaid role within the club.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lincolnblue
post Mar 13 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #17

Squad player

Member No.: 3218

It certainly seems like a good idea. Sense might suggest that he would have been appointed already. Would be great though. A true fan running a true fan's club!

+Quote Post
Alan
post Mar 13 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #18

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (Mike Griffiths @ Mar 13 2008, 02:10 PM) *
QUOTE (AndyHa @ Mar 13 2008, 02:04 PM) *

Good post again.

To add, if Paul Baker took over the club i would gladly take up a voluntary and unpaid role within the club.

As would many others I'd imagine.

--------------------
Alan Povey

+Quote Post
I O CITY CITY I ...
post Mar 13 2008, 02:15 PM
Post #19

H-Block

Member No.: 2120

Baker In

Vaughan Out

bowdown.gif citysign.GIF bowdown.gif

--------------------
"...you must be prepared to die for the cause" - Harry McNally.

Do not use signature that may offend the easily offended.

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Mar 13 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #20

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1562

Haha, i can see this going down well with a certain boxing promoter.

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Mar 13 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #21

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

Completely agree with your sentiments but unless SV wants to sell and Paul has the money to buy, isn't it a bit academic.

+Quote Post
West Hampshire B...
post Mar 13 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #22

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 255

I would be totally for Paul getting involved at the highest level, I just don't want people to see it as the universal panacaea for solving all our woes and bringing about world peace. It would certainly take us several steps in the right direction, even if money was tight.

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Mar 13 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #23

A balanced view.
Group Icon

SV may wish to sell - but he may not wih to sell to a certain person who would come with 'saviour' status and make us all very quickly forget him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazy Badger
post Mar 13 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #24

Crazier than a box of...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1035

QUOTE (Chester Lion @ Mar 13 2008, 02:05 PM) *
I for one would volunteer my own skills and expertise free as often as possible to help Paul and the club... Thats not to say I wouldn't do the same to Mr Vaughan and CCFC now, I already have and surprise surprise I never heard a word. Difference is Bear has commercial sense, Mr Vaughan has lots of money no doubt but I wouldn't call him a business man.

And that's the key!

SV just isn't willing to let others get involved, which begs the question why? Something to hide?

I would expect Paul to have a well formulated business plan, which was published for all to see, and would welcome anyone who could bring the relevant skills to the table to help him deliver it.

citysign.GIF

--------------------

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Mar 13 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #25

A balanced view.
Group Icon

QUOTE (West Hampshire Blue @ Mar 13 2008, 02:21 PM) *
I would be totally for Paul getting involved at the highest level, I just don't want people to see it as the universal panacaea for solving all our woes and bringing about world peace. It would certainly take us several steps in the right direction, even if money was tight.

I see what your getting at, and it's true we shouldn't go overboard.

However the problems at the club all stem from mis-management. This goes right through the club, be it pricing, player salaries, commercially etc.

CCFC is a club that needs to spin on its means. You look at the side yesterday. OK we didn't win, but apart from ellison that was a squad CCFC could be proud of. Rutherford shown more going forward than partridge has in months and IMO we are a decent striker away from a decent team.

CCFC, with proper management could get promoted the right way, increasing fan base naturally along the way, with young chester based players (ellams eg) coming through and schoolkids at the game making high pitched noises in the west stand.

It just takes someone to take a professional approach, which, unfortunately has been lacking in recent years.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2019 - 09:18 PM