Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steve Burr - discuss
RunningRyno
post Sep 8 2015, 07:23 AM
Post #1

YTS Trainee

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12155

I don't know about anyone else, but I am constantly underwhelmed by his lack of tactical flexibility and his lack of reaction when it really matters. I don't expect Mourinho, but some of his decisions baffle the mind.

Discuss.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nicksonmatt
post Sep 8 2015, 07:45 AM
Post #2

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1289

rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Chester F.C established 21st May 2010.

+Quote Post
Saltney Blueboy
post Sep 8 2015, 07:45 AM
Post #3

1st team captain
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 75

I do believe the same comment has been made about every single football manager in history at some time or another - that's footie for you biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Sep 8 2015, 07:48 AM
Post #4

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 5404

Probably another Birkonian ,trying to wind us up

+Quote Post
RunningRyno
post Sep 8 2015, 08:19 AM
Post #5

YTS Trainee

Promise you I'm not, I like Steve in many ways but I do think we could be doing a lot better if he drilled more of the simple stuff into the players.

Never in the history of football has pinging 25 yard balls diagonally for the winger to chase, every single time, resulted in good long term results.

Surely if we can all see that, so can he?

+Quote Post
Prenton boy
post Sep 8 2015, 08:34 AM
Post #6

Debut

Member No.: 12157

Not saying the original poster isn't a tranmere fan but we don't need to wind you up over your manager we have enough problems with our fans over our own manager to keep us busy, although I do think the tranmere fan who posted the ridiculous post and picture last night was at it

+Quote Post
Jimianto
post Sep 8 2015, 08:39 AM
Post #7

Come On City!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1243

QUOTE (RunningRyno @ Sep 8 2015, 08:23 AM) *
I don't know about anyone else, but I am constantly underwhelmed by his lack of tactical flexibility and his lack of reaction when it really matters. I don't expect Mourinho, but some of his decisions baffle the mind. Discuss.

Well it's a results business and considering his budget, I think what he has achieved is pretty good. I thought he made tactical mistakes in the Guiseley game, but overall he has used his resources well. In Burr we trust.

+Quote Post
RunningRyno
post Sep 8 2015, 08:39 AM
Post #8

YTS Trainee

Again, I assure you all I'm very much a Chester fan! Agreed though Prenton Boy I really did expect Brabin to be doing better at this stage, with his experience.

I rated him at Southport, and even more so when Everton took him, but don't forget the old Ferguson adage. It took him five years at United and look at what he eventually achieved...

+Quote Post
Prenton boy
post Sep 8 2015, 08:58 AM
Post #9

Debut

5 years our managers don't get 5 months. As far as your manager is concerned I think he has done a pretty decent job , I thought Neil Young did well for you and maybe a little unlucky to get the sack but in your position at the time it was important you stayed in the confrence so it was understandable, but I think Steve B ur has done a good job with the budget you have there, as for tactical knowledge if you play in a particular style its sometimes difficult to change the style of play without changing more than 3 players

+Quote Post
Juan King
post Sep 8 2015, 10:00 AM
Post #10

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1240

Prenton Boy, what's everyone at Tranmere's opinion of Brabin ? results not gone for you in the last few games, so do you think your fans would turn on him
as quickly as they did with Mickey Adams if it were to carry on ?

--------------------
If you see a bloke opening a Car door for a woman,
It's either a new car or a new woman.

+Quote Post
Prenton boy
post Sep 8 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #11

Debut

Some are turning on him already we have a thread on our forum already Brabin and change, we have been woeful in all games , I have been to all but borham wood and apparentlly that was our worst performance.i think a lot realised that this season would be hard a lot of new players and management and change around the club and also the recent history of league clubs dropping into the division and not going straight back, but we still have a element who believe we should just turn up and the opposing teams just say thanks for being in this league here's the 3 points, which you will always get but doesn't help.
If you go Saturday you will see if we aren't 3 up after 20 minutes the moans will grow as will the abuse, some of our players take unmerciful abuse to the point were if it were me I would be thinking what the hell is going on these are our fans .
GB changes formations a lot and we don't seem to have any width or real knowledge of what system we are playing at times but as we have a new team it will take time but wether GB will be given that time by the " we are Tranmere we have a divine right to win every game in this league brigade" is another matter. I do have my concerns but it's far too early to start panicking.
I hope Saturday is a good game and that we have a good Derby atmosphere with lots of chance full blooded tackles plenty of vocal support for both teams and at the end of it we aren't talking about the officials or worse our caveman fans.

+Quote Post
RunningRyno
post Sep 8 2015, 11:17 AM
Post #12

YTS Trainee

One thing is for absolute certain - we will all, both sides, be moaning about officials. I watch a lot of the good old evil premier league games live, and whilst it's unfair to expect the same standard of reffing in the conference as the prem, it's curious to see that the same old mistakes are made regardless.

A lot of people say that the premier league is played at such a speed that mistakes are inevitable, but any one watching Jon Parkin at the weekend will know that the same excuse can't be made at conference level!

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Sep 8 2015, 11:43 AM
Post #13

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

QUOTE (Prenton boy @ Sep 8 2015, 09:58 AM) *
5 years our managers don't get 5 months. As far as your manager is concerned I think he has done a pretty decent job , I thought Neil Young did well for you and maybe a little unlucky to get the sack but in your position at the time it was important you stayed in the confrence so it was understandable, but I think Steve B ur has done a good job with the budget you have there, as for tactical knowledge if you play in a particular style its sometimes difficult to change the style of play without changing more than 3 players

Will Tranmere go for Ronnie Moore again when he eventually leaves Hartlepools?

+Quote Post
Prenton boy
post Sep 8 2015, 11:58 AM
Post #14

Debut

I think Ronnie has started ok there this season , hopefully Gary Brabin will be given time but you never know in the football game

+Quote Post
Deva Chanter
post Sep 8 2015, 12:00 PM
Post #15

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4436

Sacking Ronnie Moore was the worst decision out of a lot of quite bad ones. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
The first casualty of war is the truth.

+Quote Post
Prenton boy
post Sep 8 2015, 12:11 PM
Post #16

Debut

QUOTE (Deva Chanter @ Sep 8 2015, 01:00 PM) *
Sacking Ronnie Moore was the worst decision out of a lot of quite bad ones. rolleyes.gif

Very true

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 8 2015, 12:31 PM
Post #17

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

I think sacking Moore in 2009 and replacing him with John Barnes was one of the worst managerial moves ever, and it's been mostly downhill for Tranmere since.

Everyone in the game knew that wasn't going to work out, except the Tranmere board, who even admitted that they'd done it to try and get more floating Liverpool fans to watch games.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Sep 8 2015, 12:34 PM
Post #18

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

Constantly slashing playing budgets year on year, coupled with terrible managerial appointments. John Barnes, Dave Watson, Les Parry, the bloke from Exeter etc have put Tranmere where they are. Only one bloke to blame for all that, and it's Peter Johnson - trying to get all his money back that he invested back in the day.

Brabin - possibly - has one of the toughest jobs in football at the moment, (outside of the Blackpool and Leeds jobs for obvious reasons) managing expectations of a fanbase craving something to cheer about after suffering the ignomity of successive relegations, building up a - pretty much - confidence shattered squad and teaching them how to win games of football again.

Given the amount of money now being invested by other clubs at this level with your Barrow's, Eastleigh's, and Forest Green's - the latter two have been building their squads for a tilt at promotion for a number of years - it is going to be extremely hard for Tranmere to bounce back first time of asking, and then next year it could only get tougher depending on who comes up. In the levels below you've for AFC Fylde and Ebbsfleet United - both backed by very wealthy benefactors.

I like Brabs, I liked him as a player and I respect the guy as a coach and manager. Given time and a bit of patience from the Tranmere board and their fans I would expect him to build a very strong side capable of going for automatic promotion, whether he will get a bit of patience from those running TRFC is another matter though...

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Sep 8 2015, 12:35 PM
Post #19

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (XWWB @ Sep 8 2015, 01:31 PM) *
I think sacking Moore in 2009 and replacing him with John Barnes was one of the worst managerial moves ever, and it's been mostly downhill for Tranmere since.

Everyone in the game knew that wasn't going to work out, except the Tranmere board, who even admitted that they'd done it to try and get more floating Liverpool fans to watch games.

They've been slowly going downhill since they dropped out of what is now the Championship

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Deva Chanter
post Sep 8 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #20

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4436

And then sacking him again in 2014 to replace him with Rob Edwards was equally preposterous.

--------------------
The first casualty of war is the truth.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 8 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #21

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Deva Chanter @ Sep 8 2015, 03:17 PM) *

And then sacking him again in 2014 to replace him with Rob Edwards was equally preposterous.

True, but there was a bit more to it the second time with the whole betting thing.

Edwards was a strange appointment for them - neither a big name nor an experienced pro. It was the kind of move that would either be inspired or a flop and it didn't work out for them.

+Quote Post
truebluefan
post Sep 8 2015, 02:35 PM
Post #22

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 10998

QUOTE (RunningRyno @ Sep 8 2015, 09:19 AM) *
Promise you I'm not, I like Steve in many ways but I do think we could be doing a lot better if he drilled more of the simple stuff into the players.

Never in the history of football has pinging 25 yard balls diagonally for the winger to chase, every single time, resulted in good long term results.

Surely if we can all see that, so can he?

Yeah that was a favorite tactic of Kevin Ratcliffe and look where it got him.

+Quote Post
Prenton boy
post Sep 8 2015, 03:00 PM
Post #23

Debut

QUOTE (XWWB @ Sep 8 2015, 03:30 PM) *
QUOTE (Deva Chanter @ Sep 8 2015, 03:17 PM) *

True, but there was a bit more to it the second time with the whole betting thing.

Edwards was a strange appointment for them - neither a big name nor an experienced pro. It was the kind of move that would either be inspired or a flop and it didn't work out for them.

The shambles of the second sacking was embarrassing it was a escape route for Johnson not to pay his contract up, and the employment of Edwards just confirmed that he knew nothing of football management

+Quote Post
Big Si
post Sep 8 2015, 04:31 PM
Post #24

Si Dutton
Group Icon

Member No.: 30

I rate SB highly and think he's the best man for the job, but it doesn't mean he's untouchable. Tactically he does get found out sometimes as we don't really have much of a plan b, although I do think he's tried to add a bit more muscle and experience to the team this season, and it's not often he's had his first choice 11 available so far. Perhaps his lack of flexibility is the reason he's not managed higher? He is a bit like Wenger in that he totally believes in his philosophy and will always stick to it which can come across as a bit stubborn at times but at least he's got the faith in his player to play his way. It's difficult for managers at this level, a lot of people felt NY was too pre-occupied with the opposition rather than playing to our own strengths and letting them worry. The difference between Wenger and Burr is that Wenger has millions to mould a team into playing to his philosophy, whereas Burr is working with scraps. So whilst SB isn't perfect, I do think he's doing a brilliant job with the resources available to him, I respect the way he wants to play, and I think he is a great ambassador for the club.

--------------------
Cmon City, these are SH*TE

+Quote Post
jack
post Sep 8 2015, 04:51 PM
Post #25

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3692

Agree with the above, big fan of Burr and he is a great ambassador for us, he buys into what we are about.

But he's not above criticism and nor should he be.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th March 2021 - 01:48 PM