Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Six years in., Maybe we need to go back to basics?
NWAS
post Mar 21 2016, 11:15 AM
Post #1

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 11

Frankly offended by the title to the 'Simon Ollerenshaw' thread it set me thinking how people have come to post things like that. For the record I've only met the new chairman once, but he came across as genuine and from folks I know who work at the club is very approachable with a 'lets get it done' kind of attitude. To suggest he is in it for his own ends is a joke. Whats his gain? A few flapjacks and a brew in the boardroom? That is not great returns for the endless 10pm meetings he will have to be attending. That got me to thinking about why things had got so bad between fans and board.

Anybody reading here, Facebook, twitter etc it is very obvious that there is becoming a disconnect at the moment between the supporters and the club. A lot of this is down to the nature of the team (too many here not putting anything in, too many loan players, high turnover of players, seemingly leaderless, a management style that doesn't seem to accept responsibility), other people it is the expense (it would cost me £57 entrance fee for me, my wife and two sons - before anything additional), and for others it is that they don't feel involved, that it feels like someone elses club.

When I read that some fans hate the CFU, then I despair. Not at the fans, they know not what they say and are very raw following a shocking season, but at the CFU for not making themselves transparent enough to attract those who are naturally suspicious (we have had some pretty bad experiences during the past 4 decades). The newsletter is a way, but this only goes to members. For me the board need to be showing the supporters that this is not a closed shop. The opportunity to do this was in inviting in all nominees who stood for the board, but never got voted in. These people were willing to put the long hours in, and have been shunned whereas others were not. These were people from the terraces, not neccessarily those who would know or get along with existing board members. This is seen by some of our fanbase as being 'jobs for the boys/girls'. The board needs dissenting voices, not people who all think alike.

We also need to step out of the emotion of losing a derby and look at where we are in 6 short years. For all those who hold FCUM up as a guiding light, they do so much good work, but look closer. There is current serious unrest amongst some of their supporter base (see a fine lung on twitter for more). We are solid, and have people in place who keep a firm hand on our finances. We have a voice, and a decent lease on the ground. We are starting to develop a player or two, and have secured a fantastic deal from MBNA.

But it is in communication the club lets itself down massively. This is where the feeling of being 'in it together' has disappeared. There are also some improvements being made; CFU meetings being streamed, minutes being made available etc, but this again is to members only. We need to be inclusive of our supporters who are not CFU members. Maybe by doing this, they would join...? Devachat, the Chronicle, Leader, social media, etc should be used to generate interest on a broader scale. The club deny the existance of Devachat, yet advertise on here for help, money, support of events etc. Why not harness these things, and rally on it?

An official profile on Devachat, still the most visited of any CFC site, or better still the directors posting themselves, would clarify any occurances that have caused upset quickly. For me I would look to the club to use Devachat to generate a suggestion box. Better still, use social media to instigate an informal workshop day over the early summer. Use our support outlets as a sounding board. There are lots of big decisions to make, budget, costs at turnstile, outrageous policing, commercial direction, community activity etc etc. Don't just look to the usual few, those fantastic dyed in the wool supporters who would crawl over broken glass to help their club. They burn out, see too much and eventually walk away if asked to take on too much. They, including directors, need support and help. People on here (weeding out the WUMs) have great ideas, and need engaging.

As much as there has been a scorched earth policy towards Devachat, like it or not this forum is where the football club was reborn. I would go as far as saying that without Devachat we wouldn't have the CFC we do today, and although facebook and twitter has caught up a bit, Devachat has a large percentage of our hardcore younger to middle aged supporters on here. They may not post, but they look. These are the people who cannot attend CFU meetings (young families, work, etc) and are not looking to be board members at this stage, but these are the people we need to mould into future board possibilities. Looking throughout the club, the biggest thing to change has been the lack of personal communication and reaching out. There is a simple way to put it right. And I know I sound like a stuck record, but thats never stopped me before. This is something I feel needs addressing urgently.

Oh, and ignore the goats. We never needed a college to bail us out. We don't get the FAW grants, or red card rescinding panels. We did it all ourselves. Every single penny. We started in local football, never got any pardon from relegation etc, and we are back competing with them. One win each this season, even with a budget less than half theirs. Each and every one of you should be proud of that. And wear it as a badge of honour. CFU member or CFC supporter. One love. cityscarf.gif

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Mar 21 2016, 11:47 AM
Post #2

I'm not Irish!

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1413

Yeah the title was a bit OTT, I take that bit back. Apologies to Simon for that.

My other points still stand though.

This post has been edited by Derry Exile: Mar 21 2016, 11:58 AM

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Buckley Blue
post Mar 21 2016, 11:48 AM
Post #3

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 7121

I'm so glad you took the time to write that as it is absolutely spot on.

+Quote Post
Oaks Blue
post Mar 21 2016, 11:50 AM
Post #4

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Member No.: 622

To be able to get back to basics the club would have had to understand what those basics were in the first place.

I know I'm going over old ground but until someone from the new board convinces me they are moving in the right direction I'll always be sceptical.

+Quote Post
ulster blue boy
post Mar 21 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #5

The North Terrace Posties are legends.
Group Icon

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (NWAS @ Mar 21 2016, 11:15 AM) *
Frankly offended by the title to the 'Simon Ollerenshaw' thread it set me thinking how people have come to post things like that. For the record I've only met the new chairman once, but he came across as genuine and from folks I know who work at the club is very approachable with a 'lets get it done' kind of attitude. To suggest he is in it for his own ends is a joke. Whats his gain? A few flapjacks and a brew in the boardroom? That is not great returns for the endless 10pm meetings he will have to be attending. That got me to thinking about why things had got so bad between fans and board.

Anybody reading here, Facebook, twitter etc it is very obvious that there is becoming a disconnect at the moment between the supporters and the club. A lot of this is down to the nature of the team (too many here not putting anything in, too many loan players, high turnover of players, seemingly leaderless, a management style that doesn't seem to accept responsibility), other people it is the expense (it would cost me £57 entrance fee for me, my wife and two sons - before anything additional), and for others it is that they don't feel involved, that it feels like someone elses club.

When I read that some fans hate the CFU, then I despair. Not at the fans, they know not what they say and are very raw following a shocking season, but at the CFU for not making themselves transparent enough to attract those who are naturally suspicious (we have had some pretty bad experiences during the past 4 decades). The newsletter is a way, but this only goes to members. For me the board need to be showing the supporters that this is not a closed shop. The opportunity to do this was in inviting in all nominees who stood for the board, but never got voted in. These people were willing to put the long hours in, and have been shunned whereas others were not. These were people from the terraces, not neccessarily those who would know or get along with existing board members. This is seen by some of our fanbase as being 'jobs for the boys/girls'. The board needs dissenting voices, not people who all think alike.

We also need to step out of the emotion of losing a derby and look at where we are in 6 short years. For all those who hold FCUM up as a guiding light, they do so much good work, but look closer. There is current serious unrest amongst some of their supporter base (see a fine lung on twitter for more). We are solid, and have people in place who keep a firm hand on our finances. We have a voice, and a decent lease on the ground. We are starting to develop a player or two, and have secured a fantastic deal from MBNA.

But it is in communication the club lets itself down massively. This is where the feeling of being 'in it together' has disappeared. There are also some improvements being made; CFU meetings being streamed, minutes being made available etc, but this again is to members only. We need to be inclusive of our supporters who are not CFU members. Maybe by doing this, they would join...? Devachat, the Chronicle, Leader, social media, etc should be used to generate interest on a broader scale. The club deny the existance of Devachat, yet advertise on here for help, money, support of events etc. Why not harness these things, and rally on it?

An official profile on Devachat, still the most visited of any CFC site, or better still the directors posting themselves, would clarify any occurances that have caused upset quickly. For me I would look to the club to use Devachat to generate a suggestion box. Better still, use social media to instigate an informal workshop day over the early summer. Use our support outlets as a sounding board. There are lots of big decisions to make, budget, costs at turnstile, outrageous policing, commercial direction, community activity etc etc. Don't just look to the usual few, those fantastic dyed in the wool supporters who would crawl over broken glass to help their club. They burn out, see too much and eventually walk away if asked to take on too much. They, including directors, need support and help. People on here (weeding out the WUMs) have great ideas, and need engaging.

As much as there has been a scorched earth policy towards Devachat, like it or not this forum is where the football club was reborn. I would go as far as saying that without Devachat we wouldn't have the CFC we do today, and although facebook and twitter has caught up a bit, Devachat has a large percentage of our hardcore younger to middle aged supporters on here. They may not post, but they look. These are the people who cannot attend CFU meetings (young families, work, etc) and are not looking to be board members at this stage, but these are the people we need to mould into future board possibilities. Looking throughout the club, the biggest thing to change has been the lack of personal communication and reaching out. There is a simple way to put it right. And I know I sound like a stuck record, but thats never stopped me before. This is something I feel needs addressing urgently.

Oh, and ignore the goats. We never needed a college to bail us out. We don't get the FAW grants, or red card rescinding panels. We did it all ourselves. Every single penny. We started in local football, never got any pardon from relegation etc, and we are back competing with them. One win each this season, even with a budget less than half theirs. Each and every one of you should be proud of that. And wear it as a badge of honour. CFU member or CFC supporter. One love. cityscarf.gif

cityscarf.gif bowdown.gif

--------------------
IT ALL STARTED AT THE BRANDYWELL,THANKS GRANDAD.

ONCE A RANGER,ALWAYS A RANGER.(ROYAL IRISH THAT IS).
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CFU.

26/02/2010. NEED I SAY ANYMORE. I WILL. 10/03/2010. R.I.P. CCFC.

6TH MAY 2010,THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN.

EVO-STICK NORTH CHAMPIONS 2010-2011

EVO-STICK PREMIER CHAMPIONS 2011-2012

BLUE SQUARE NORTH CHAMPIONS 2012-2013

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Mar 21 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #6

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

Fantastic post straight from the heart as usual Mark.
I remember a similar speech you made in the very early days of the CFU and that went a long way to me loving my club again.
I have done my bit volunteering and stood shoulder to shoulder with a few at the table on matchdays to raise awareness to kick Vaughan out of our club.

We got our club back, we made it our own and it took off like a dream, both on the pitch and off it.
I was an active CFU member and regularly attended meetings.

Then things started to change, i cant pinpoint the exact moment ( but who can ) the slow destruction of the junior side of things, inteferance from board level within the playing side of things, the lack of communication, the drying up of schools involvement and the South Stand packed out with kids.
And then the filling of a paid role of General Manager to a person who actively sought to block the purchase of a football club by its own fanbase and the way this role was handled, culminating in a passionate Chester Fan being told to back off or face legal action by the club he loves for daring to question the moral and ethical way the whole affiar was handled.

I for one have not ( and will not) renew my CFU membership whilst the man is employed by our football club, and i know i am not alone in this train of thought.
I still attend games but not as many as i used to and i still love my club.
However, love is a two way street or it doesnt work, so when you say lets get back to basics, you hit the nail on the head for me there mate.
We worked so hard to get our club back and now it seems like its a pack of hyenas wrestling over a corpse.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
mused
post Mar 21 2016, 12:34 PM
Post #7

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Mar 21 2016, 12:17 PM) *

Fantastic post straight from the heart as usual Mark.
I remember a similar speech you made in the very early days of the CFU and that went a long way to me loving my club again.
I have done my bit volunteering and stood shoulder to shoulder with a few at the table on matchdays to raise awareness to kick Vaughan out of our club.

We got our club back, we made it our own and it took off like a dream, both on the pitch and off it.
I was an active CFU member and regularly attended meetings.

Then things started to change, i cant pinpoint the exact moment ( but who can ) the slow destruction of the junior side of things, inteferance from board level within the playing side of things, the lack of communication, the drying up of schools involvement and the South Stand packed out with kids.
And then the filling of a paid role of General Manager to a person who actively sought to block the purchase of a football club by its own fanbase and the way this role was handled, culminating in a passionate Chester Fan being told to back off or face legal action by the club he loves for daring to question the moral and ethical way the whole affiar was handled.

I for one have not ( and will not) renew my CFU membership whilst the man is employed by our football club, and i know i am not alone in this train of thought.
I still attend games but not as many as i used to and i still love my club.
However, love is a two way street or it doesnt work, so when you say lets get back to basics, you hit the nail on the head for me there mate.
We worked so hard to get our club back and now it seems like its a pack of hyenas wrestling over a corpse.

Two great posts from the heart. And again OYEM, to me those gripes you have, come down to basic common sense. We're going over old devachat ground with the Tony allen and Mike G debacles but those were two things that were easily avoidable.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Mar 21 2016, 12:59 PM
Post #8

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1562

NWAS,

FCUM is a nothing club, it represents nothing. Chester on the other hand is a once-proud football league club representing a city which is still fair distance from premiership clubs albeit forever in the shadow i accept.

When the club was reformed in 2010, it was going to be our club. It was a club that ignited the imagination, we got the lease to the ground and fans started talking about all the things we could do, what we could achieve that we always wanted under SV but couldnt as we didnt have a voice. You wont have forgotten that plenty of people tried to boost the club under the SV years, we all wanted a successful club, but mainly we wanted the club to be a bigger hitter in the local area, for it to mean something and to challenge the young minds being attracted to premiership TV.

So, what then, now given the opportunity to run and drive forward your own club? what core messages do we stand for?

We rightfully took advice from FCUM and whilst im still not entirely comfortable with what they do (or do not represent) the way they set themselves up and what they have achieved off the field cannot be challenged in my opinion.

So, imagine that idea, that design and add to it a club that actually represents something, represents a city and has a history.

Add that to having the likes of Bernard and Yourself driving a youth section which would give us an identity in the local community and a real sense of optimism and a 'we're all in this together attitude'

To steal Jim Green's terminolgy, this ideal, this project, this opportunity - became de-railed because of ambition, pomposity and a lack of financial control which lead to overspending and an apparent need to 'be more professional as a club'.

Lets take various aspects which have all contributed in various ways to de-rail the project.

A club run by it's fans is seen to be more of a co-operative than a standard business. I DO NOT accept that our crowds are solely down to success. Season 1, the big bounce, the big new thing in town - will always have been well attended - But why set that apart as a one-off season? why not make that your benchmark? You ask any fan what he wants and they will tell you a packed (bearing in mind restrictions on attendance) deva stadium cheering on a team that put a shift in.

GROWTH. Growth of the club is key for it to survive. So, you have a new product that is different from everything else - why on earth would you then change out to be more like all the other products on offer?

In season 1 it was £10 - more expensive that any club in the league, but it season one we needed a club to build. add that to shirt deals - 2 of the new Joma shirts for what £50? it may have even been less. Yes the quality was a bit dodgy but they only has to last 2 seasons at most. People of Chester started to take notice - reasonably priced football on their doorstep, with all the money going towards a club in this new venture, you could pick up a cheap kit - kids everywhere were wearing chester shirts rather than premiership. This is not an over-exaggeration - they were everywhere in town and in blacon. I played football in blacon on a weekly basis and the kids training before us or next to us - you could see - in blue and white or purple.

Yes the team won a lot, yes there was still the novelty factor but what better time to then build up a loyal and dedicated customer base?

Season 2 - prices up to £12 but still a tenner on the terrace. Still far beyond the prices charged by rivals. Still the same 3,000+ crowds at times during the season despite NO AWAY SUPPORT so we're drawing in 3,000 people of chester. people are buying into this project. we get 5,009 vs Northwich in one of the best games i've ever been to in terms of atmosphere at the Deva.

So you see how the club was set-up, still more expensive than FCUM but again, we represent something, a city, a new cause. We have everything set-up to drive forward, not recede backwards.

and then we have season 3. Season 3 started the rot. £14, well in excess of say, Vauxhalls at the same level. a team that literally p**ses the league yet the manager is still allowed to fritter money away on a high turnover of players.

season 4 £16, in the big boys league, things start getting expensive, we need to up the cash to compete. we don't, we get relegated. Bear in mind that at £16 we are now more expensive than the football league side we watched under SV. The football is dire and but for Burr coming in and us having a chnace of survival the attendances would have been abysmal.

Season 5 £18. WE WERE RELEGATED yet prices went up - ''we need to compete'' we're told. If there are 2 games in one week its now £36.

why is price important? it directly affects gates. Success or no success, the drop in season 3 was because the club started to move away from a reasonably priced local club into the most expensive club at that level. We're big boys and you pay big to watch us.

why are attendances important? they are the lifeblood of the club, and they are what we base our advertising strategy on. Tracey can make all the phonecalls she wants but she cant sell advertising (unless its severely cut price) at chester when crowds are 1500. (an over-exaggeration, just take the point). not only 1500, but that figure includes away fans who local businesses dont care about advertising to and they are the same fans every week - the hardcore, die-hard pay anything club. i'll just advertise on dee thanks. We are exceptionally fortunate to have MBNA.

lets look at other factors. £40,000 on a legends lounge ''to increase commercial income''. This at the time hammered the fanbase. the fans NEEDED a bigger blues bar. the pre and post match crush was beyond a joke (past tense now). we were told it was too expensive at £200,000. perhaps so, but now squad-builder esque bar-builder was setup it was just written off - AND THEN £40,000 spent on the posh seats. how does that look? how bad now, when it cannot be filled an we rely on the same sponsors every year and huge price slashing and BOGOF deals just to get matches sold. Theres more to the commercial side i dont feel i need to go in to. I do thing Pat got a raw deal mind.

what else do fans want? the west stand booths are unusable, destroy them and increase capacity. Fans cannot abide all ticket games - what a hassle to get down to the ground to buy tickets and no option to just decide 'you know what i'll go the game today'. Increase in capacity may seem daft or pie in the sky but again, it was dismissed out of hand 'we cant fill the ground we have' we can't ever fill it given the restrictions on segregation. fans want to have a bar behind the harry mac - again 'pie in the sky nonesense'

FCUM built an entire ground. yes they had grants etc but are you telling me we couldnt have looked into these things?

The fact that they were openly dismissed whilst the LL was refurbished whilst fans are paying through the nose to attend games and then being told its not enough, we need more - squad builder etc, we have a raffle at christmas where not only are the prizes poor in comparison to our near neighbours - we cock up giving the prizes to the wrong people.

we cannot have a £10 terrace for those on lower incomes because of the budget. do we not want to ensure everyone in the community can come to our games? have we so lost sight of our original ideals, of wanting a club for all - to wanting a limp, flaccid club that 'needs to compete' as it dies a death on its way to the conference north, to be forgotten about by all but the truly die-hard?

so you may point to some mutterings of failings at FCUM, the fact they are not yet conference premier - but we could have smashed it using their model, as we meant something once, cross-roads or not until we get back to what we bloody well stood for in 2010 this club is dying slowly. people lose interest and £18 makes it very easily to just go the pub instead.

I'm sure certain lines of this will be picked apart, but take it for what it is, an opinion only, of course, but one shared by an ever-growing number of people i fear. I want this club to succeed, but it needs to reclaim what made it DIFFERENT what makes it unique (even from FCUM) this club represents this city, now bloody well get out there and start making sure that this is a club for the people - and that starts with being one that everyone can afford to attend.

I'm sure there's more but i've gone on enough tbh. laugh.gif

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Mar 21 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #9

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (iandyChesterCity @ Mar 21 2016, 12:59 PM) *
NWAS,

FCUM is a nothing club, it represents nothing. Chester on the other hand is a once-proud football league club representing a city which is still fair distance from premiership clubs albeit forever in the shadow i accept.

When the club was reformed in 2010, it was going to be our club. It was a club that ignited the imagination, we got the lease to the ground and fans started talking about all the things we could do, what we could achieve that we always wanted under SV but couldnt as we didnt have a voice. You wont have forgotten that plenty of people tried to boost the club under the SV years, we all wanted a successful club, but mainly we wanted the club to be a bigger hitter in the local area, for it to mean something and to challenge the young minds being attracted to premiership TV.

So, what then, now given the opportunity to run and drive forward your own club? what core messages do we stand for?

We rightfully took advice from FCUM and whilst im still not entirely comfortable with what they do (or do not represent) the way they set themselves up and what they have achieved off the field cannot be challenged in my opinion.

So, imagine that idea, that design and add to it a club that actually represents something, represents a city and has a history.

Add that to having the likes of Bernard and Yourself driving a youth section which would give us an identity in the local community and a real sense of optimism and a 'we're all in this together attitude'

To steal Jim Green's terminolgy, this ideal, this project, this opportunity - became de-railed because of ambition, pomposity and a lack of financial control which lead to overspending and an apparent need to 'be more professional as a club'.

Lets take various aspects which have all contributed in various ways to de-rail the project.

A club run by it's fans is seen to be more of a co-operative than a standard business. I DO NOT accept that our crowds are solely down to success. Season 1, the big bounce, the big new thing in town - will always have been well attended - But why set that apart as a one-off season? why not make that your benchmark? You ask any fan what he wants and they will tell you a packed (bearing in mind restrictions on attendance) deva stadium cheering on a team that put a shift in.

GROWTH. Growth of the club is key for it to survive. So, you have a new product that is different from everything else - why on earth would you then change out to be more like all the other products on offer?

In season 1 it was £10 - more expensive that any club in the league, but it season one we needed a club to build. add that to shirt deals - 2 of the new Joma shirts for what £50? it may have even been less. Yes the quality was a bit dodgy but they only has to last 2 seasons at most. People of Chester started to take notice - reasonably priced football on their doorstep, with all the money going towards a club in this new venture, you could pick up a cheap kit - kids everywhere were wearing chester shirts rather than premiership. This is not an over-exaggeration - they were everywhere in town and in blacon. I played football in blacon on a weekly basis and the kids training before us or next to us - you could see - in blue and white or purple.

Yes the team won a lot, yes there was still the novelty factor but what better time to then build up a loyal and dedicated customer base?

Season 2 - prices up to £12 but still a tenner on the terrace. Still far beyond the prices charged by rivals. Still the same 3,000+ crowds at times during the season despite NO AWAY SUPPORT so we're drawing in 3,000 people of chester. people are buying into this project. we get 5,009 vs Northwich in one of the best games i've ever been to in terms of atmosphere at the Deva.

So you see how the club was set-up, still more expensive than FCUM but again, we represent something, a city, a new cause. We have everything set-up to drive forward, not recede backwards.

and then we have season 3. Season 3 started the rot. £14, well in excess of say, Vauxhalls at the same level. a team that literally p**ses the league yet the manager is still allowed to fritter money away on a high turnover of players.

season 4 £16, in the big boys league, things start getting expensive, we need to up the cash to compete. we don't, we get relegated. Bear in mind that at £16 we are now more expensive than the football league side we watched under SV. The football is dire and but for Burr coming in and us having a chnace of survival the attendances would have been abysmal.

Season 5 £18. WE WERE RELEGATED yet prices went up - ''we need to compete'' we're told. If there are 2 games in one week its now £36.

why is price important? it directly affects gates. Success or no success, the drop in season 3 was because the club started to move away from a reasonably priced local club into the most expensive club at that level. We're big boys and you pay big to watch us.

why are attendances important? they are the lifeblood of the club, and they are what we base our advertising strategy on. Tracey can make all the phonecalls she wants but she cant sell advertising (unless its severely cut price) at chester when crowds are 1500. (an over-exaggeration, just take the point). not only 1500, but that figure includes away fans who local businesses dont care about advertising to and they are the same fans every week - the hardcore, die-hard pay anything club. i'll just advertise on dee thanks. We are exceptionally fortunate to have MBNA.

lets look at other factors. £40,000 on a legends lounge ''to increase commercial income''. This at the time hammered the fanbase. the fans NEEDED a bigger blues bar. the pre and post match crush was beyond a joke (past tense now). we were told it was too expensive at £200,000. perhaps so, but now squad-builder esque bar-builder was setup it was just written off - AND THEN £40,000 spent on the posh seats. how does that look? how bad now, when it cannot be filled an we rely on the same sponsors every year and huge price slashing and BOGOF deals just to get matches sold. Theres more to the commercial side i dont feel i need to go in to. I do thing Pat got a raw deal mind.

what else do fans want? the west stand booths are unusable, destroy them and increase capacity. Fans cannot abide all ticket games - what a hassle to get down to the ground to buy tickets and no option to just decide 'you know what i'll go the game today'. Increase in capacity may seem daft or pie in the sky but again, it was dismissed out of hand 'we cant fill the ground we have' we can't ever fill it given the restrictions on segregation. fans want to have a bar behind the harry mac - again 'pie in the sky nonesense'

FCUM built an entire ground. yes they had grants etc but are you telling me we couldnt have looked into these things?

The fact that they were openly dismissed whilst the LL was refurbished whilst fans are paying through the nose to attend games and then being told its not enough, we need more - squad builder etc, we have a raffle at christmas where not only are the prizes poor in comparison to our near neighbours - we cock up giving the prizes to the wrong people.

we cannot have a £10 terrace for those on lower incomes because of the budget. do we not want to ensure everyone in the community can come to our games? have we so lost sight of our original ideals, of wanting a club for all - to wanting a limp, flaccid club that 'needs to compete' as it dies a death on its way to the conference north, to be forgotten about by all but the truly die-hard?

so you may point to some mutterings of failings at FCUM, the fact they are not yet conference premier - but we could have smashed it using their model, as we meant something once, cross-roads or not until we get back to what we bloody well stood for in 2010 this club is dying slowly. people lose interest and £18 makes it very easily to just go the pub instead.

I'm sure certain lines of this will be picked apart, but take it for what it is, an opinion only, of course, but one shared by an ever-growing number of people i fear. I want this club to succeed, but it needs to reclaim what made it DIFFERENT what makes it unique (even from FCUM) this club represents this city, now bloody well get out there and start making sure that this is a club for the people - and that starts with being one that everyone can afford to attend.

Nailed it

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Cmonublues
post Mar 21 2016, 01:15 PM
Post #10

Squad player

Member No.: 11881

The drop in attendance is down to poor results. We have a die-hard fanbase of 1500 or so. We then have around 2000 'floating' fans - do you honestly think they give a toss about how the football club is run? No, they want to see us win. I fully agree that there are problems behind the scenes, but the majority don't know or don't care about it. Using our last home game as an example, do you really think we would have only had 1425 fans against Aldershot if we were 8th and battling for the play offs? No, we would have had over 2000. So while I agree the off-field problems have had some effect, the main reason for poor attendance is the results.

+Quote Post
mused
post Mar 21 2016, 01:31 PM
Post #11

1st team captain

QUOTE (Cmonublues @ Mar 21 2016, 01:15 PM) *
The drop in attendance is down to poor results. We have a die-hard fanbase of 1500 or so. We then have around 2000 'floating' fans - do you honestly think they give a toss about how the football club is run? No, they want to see us win. I fully agree that there are problems behind the scenes, but the majority don't know or don't care about it. Using our last home game as an example, do you really think we would have only had 1425 fans against Aldershot if we were 8th and battling for the play offs? No, we would have had over 2000. So while I agree the off-field problems have had some effect, the main reason for poor attendance is the results.

That's the point though. With a well run club, we could be getting 3000 through the gates for that Aldershot game. I don't agree with Mark Lawrenson. Chester is a footballing city. Go to the train station on any given Saturday and you will see our residents going to liverpool, Manchester, the Midlands etc. there are supporters as you say, I know many who don't care about anything behind the scenes. But then there is a large part of our fan base who have lived through Barnes, gutterman, smith, SV and they care very much about the off field side of things. I fall into that bracket.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Mar 21 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #12

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Cmonublues @ Mar 21 2016, 01:15 PM) *

Our attendances last season, when we finished 12th, were lower than the season before when we finished 21st, so I don't think it's entirely down to poor results.

+Quote Post
Arrogant Blue
post Mar 21 2016, 02:11 PM
Post #13

3 in a row

Member No.: 133

What I find most concerning is the fact that there has been no statement from the club about the alarming dip in form and also where the crowd funder money went.

After years of silence (pre Chester FC) and fans being treated with contempt during the Vaughan era fans have expected the new club to be honest and transparent. The crowd funder has really caused a problem for this club. We've not been told how this £25k has been spent and what it was used for.

--------------------
One love, we don't need another love. One love, one heart and one soul. We can have it all, easy, peasy, ooh ho ho!

+Quote Post
Oaks Blue
post Mar 21 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #14

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

QUOTE (Arrogant Blue @ Mar 21 2016, 02:11 PM) *
What I find most concerning is the fact that there has been no statement from the club about the alarming dip in form and also where the crowd funder money went.

After years of silence (pre Chester FC) and fans being treated with contempt during the Vaughan era fans have expected the new club to be honest and transparent. The crowd funder has really caused a problem for this club. We've not been told how this £25k has been spent and what it was used for.

Who gives a s**t about crowd funder? It was flawed from the beginning, we shouldn't be raising 25k for players, that's not what this fans owned model should be based on. Add to that the fact that we had to give a slice of it to the bloody crowdfunder website ffs.

If the club see fit to come cap in hand it had better be for something worthwhile, which will make the club money in the future. And by that I don't mean a punt on a young player!

The club need to address how they generate funds and also the admission price. 2 basics there for you.

+Quote Post
K klass
post Mar 21 2016, 02:47 PM
Post #15

1st team regular

Member No.: 5449

Crowdfunder was a brilliant concept and worked really well. Up to the point that we had the money in the bank. From then on it was a total disaster. Many people never got the rewards they paid for or what they did get was worthless. I wasn't bothered by this but many were. Worse still we were never told how the money was spent. Few will show the same generosity again. Huge opportunity lost.

+Quote Post
Oaks Blue
post Mar 21 2016, 03:58 PM
Post #16

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

QUOTE (K klass @ Mar 21 2016, 02:47 PM) *

Crowdfunder was a brilliant concept and worked really well. Up to the point that we had the money in the bank. From then on it was a total disaster. Many people never got the rewards they paid for or what they did get was worthless. I wasn't bothered by this but many were. Worse still we were never told how the money was spent. Few will show the same generosity again. Huge opportunity lost.

No, it was not a brilliant concept I'm afraid.

The fans should never be asked to donate for the playing squad.

+Quote Post
Cmonublues
post Mar 21 2016, 04:08 PM
Post #17

Squad player

Member No.: 11881

QUOTE (Oaks Blue @ Mar 21 2016, 03:58 PM) *

As a fan-owned club then I think it's fair. We weren't forced into it. At the time I thought it was a good idea and I still think it was, but the lack of communication as to how it's been spent has been disappointing. But I suppose we can guess - it's been p**sed up the wall on all those loan players early on in the season who have played a couple of games each. If some was spent on a contract for Sam Hughes then it wasn't entirely wasted.

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Mar 21 2016, 04:37 PM
Post #18

NWAS,

Top, top post
Add to that the complete cock up of the pricing structure of our 16-18 year olds in season 4.

I have said it before and i will say it again, my lad started going with me at age 7 or 8, at 16 he wanted to go with his mates, there must have been about 14 of them in total who went every game at a fiver, i think it was even a pound for the FA trophy games.
The prices went up and the club lost every one of them, he comes with me when he is home from Uni, the other ones have never been back, i repeat never been back. Gone, lost interest because of a poor decision.
Damage has been done that is unrepairable in certain areas.

This post has been edited by open yer eyes man: Mar 21 2016, 04:37 PM

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please

We exist

+Quote Post
Oaks Blue
post Mar 21 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #19

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cmonublues @ Mar 21 2016, 04:08 PM) *

As a fan-owned club then I think it's fair. We weren't forced into it. At the time I thought it was a good idea and I still think it was, but the lack of communication as to how it's been spent has been disappointing. But I suppose we can guess - it's been p**sed up the wall on all those loan players early on in the season who have played a couple of games each. If some was spent on a contract for Sam Hughes then it wasn't entirely wasted.

Look, if the fans did a squad builder or crowdfunder for the playing squad every close season, the club would just expect it to happen every year, how is this sustainable? Given that the management wasted it doesn't exactly inspire you to do it again does it...

I am questioning the ethos behind the crowd funder. If we decide to raise funds for something in future, the club should use its own website and keep 100% of the donations. But unless it's something that CFC can generate income from for years to come I'm not interested.

+Quote Post
mused
post Mar 21 2016, 04:51 PM
Post #20

1st team captain

QUOTE (Oaks Blue @ Mar 21 2016, 04:47 PM) *
QUOTE (Cmonublues @ Mar 21 2016, 04:08 PM) *

Look, if the fans did a squad builder or crowdfunder for the playing squad every close season, the club would just expect it to happen every year, how is this sustainable? Given that the management wasted it doesn't exactly inspire you to do it again does it...

I am questioning the ethos behind the crowd funder. If we decide to raise funds for something in future, the club should use its own website and keep 100% of the donations. But unless it's something that CFC can generate income from for years to come I'm not interested.

The club should just set up an account and sort code and who ever chooses to donate can donate. I don't think the club need to explain where it has gone, other than into the wage bill. I'd be mortified to know my £20 went into Tom Shaw's a**e pocket!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mused
post Mar 21 2016, 04:52 PM
Post #21

1st team captain

I do agree with oaks blue in that fund raising should be saved for something more sustainable but I also agree people should be allowed the option of boosting the wage bill.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Mar 21 2016, 04:57 PM
Post #22

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Mar 21 2016, 04:37 PM) *
NWAS,

Top, top post
Add to that the complete cock up of the pricing structure of our 16-18 year olds in season 4.

I have said it before and i will say it again, my lad started going with me at age 7 or 8, at 16 he wanted to go with his mates, there must have been about 14 of them in total who went every game at a fiver, i think it was even a pound for the FA trophy games.
The prices went up and the club lost every one of them, he comes with me when he is home from Uni, the other ones have never been back, i repeat never been back. Gone, lost interest because of a poor decision.

Two great posts, from two intelligent posters. And others above.

Goes to show that we are not all wind up merchants just looking to have a pop. The majority of people who log onto Devachat do so because they love Chester FC. Engage them and get people like OYEM and Andy above who have so much to offer.

For the record I really do not think the club can go into next season with the current pricing structure, regardless of the division we are in. Any shortfall in gate income should be made up for in activity in and around the city advertising these games and prices.

Any additional monies for playing budget should be added to the commercial budget for the paid staff to go out and earn. Their job is not to bleed our hardcore dry for more and more, it is to expand the use of the club facilities during the week (community cafe anyone?), and sell our club to local businesses and other bodies in the area.

Again, I appeal to the club to reach out to the disenfranchised. There are plenty on here. Ask them to work with them to help get back the feeling, because despite what some others think, something has definitely been lost. We need to get back on track, all of us.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Mar 21 2016, 04:59 PM
Post #23

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

And I'd like to see the 'boxes' nearest the Harry Mac completely gutted, and left open fronted to be used as disabled viewing platforms. Make the floors safe, make the roof watertight and add a ramp to enable our disabled supporters access. Surely can't be that difficult or expensive. Next step get a plan drawn (there must be an architect amongst our fanbase), and get Lee Crawford to price it.

Then we can fundraise, and spend it on something that is a legacy, rather than Tom Shaws bonus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Mar 21 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (NWAS @ Mar 21 2016, 04:59 PM) *
And I'd like to see the 'boxes' nearest the Harry Mac completely gutted, and left open fronted to be used as disabled viewing platforms. Make the floors safe, make the roof watertight and add a ramp to enable our disabled supporters access. Surely can't be that difficult or expensive. Next step get a plan drawn (there must be an architect amongst our fanbase), and get Lee Crawford to price it.

Then we can fundraise, and spend it on something that is a legacy, rather than Tom Shaws bonus.

Absolutely
What better legacy for Richie Wightman and all those who need this facility for us to make this happen.
Our treatment of disabled people from us as a community project is less than desirable and needs to be put right.
The odd pub quiz and raffle helps but when we are paying people who should Be getting out there and dragging businesses into our ethos is scandalous.
The very fact that the club even refuses to aknowledge the most read website for Chester fans says it all really.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please

We exist

+Quote Post
jack
post Mar 21 2016, 06:10 PM
Post #25

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3692

QUOTE (NWAS @ Mar 21 2016, 04:57 PM) *
QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Mar 21 2016, 04:37 PM) *
NWAS,

Top, top post

Two great posts, from two intelligent posters. And others above.

Goes to show that we are not all wind up merchants just looking to have a pop. The majority of people who log onto Devachat do so because they love Chester FC. Engage them and get people like OYEM and Andy above who have so much to offer.

For the record I really do not think the club can go into next season with the current pricing structure, regardless of the division we are in. Any shortfall in gate income should be made up for in activity in and around the city advertising these games and prices.

Any additional monies for playing budget should be added to the commercial budget for the paid staff to go out and earn. Their job is not to bleed our hardcore dry for more and more, it is to expand the use of the club facilities during the week (community cafe anyone?), and sell our club to local businesses and other bodies in the area.

Again, I appeal to the club to reach out to the disenfranchised. There are plenty on here. Ask them to work with them to help get back the feeling, because despite what some others think, something has definitely been lost. We need to get back on track, all of us.

Agree, good post and a few great replies in here too.

NWAS, as somebody who has served on the board, is it totally unfeasible for us to implement a £10 terrace ticketing option? I'd love to see it happen and I'd hazard a guess you know a bit more about whether it could happen or whether it would be suicidal?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2021 - 11:16 AM