Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sam Hughes
1 Paul Carden
post Mar 8 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #1

1st team stalwart

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1481

Boy's the real deal. I've been watching us for 20+years and I can't remember seeing many youth products scoring two in a game, let alone a holding midfielder. He makes such an enormous difference to our side as he gives us the f**king platform we've been screaming out for all season. Wins nigh on every header, keeps it simple, is a huge threat from set pieces (as shown tonight) and will definitely play at a higher level. Well done Callum et al in the youth setup, Sam is a bloody gem!

--------------------
City Fans United
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
seals
post Mar 8 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #2

Squad player

Member No.: 2012

been texted that scouts from swansea were there watching sam .

+Quote Post
MPW
post Mar 8 2016, 10:41 PM
Post #3

1st team captain

Member No.: 1056

The lads a class act and will only get better because even though he's only 18, he's already proved that he is able to physically compete at this level.

I remember the first time I saw him in preseason, I thought he was a triallist and was pleasantly surprised to find out that he was one of our own youth players.

+Quote Post
1midfield genera...
post Mar 8 2016, 10:46 PM
Post #4

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8334

He should have been playing, months ago. The lad is quality.

+Quote Post
Rob
post Mar 8 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #5

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2063

Brilliant performance by Sam!

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Mar 8 2016, 10:54 PM
Post #6

Club Director
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (Rob @ Mar 8 2016, 10:51 PM) *
Brilliant performance by Sam!

Money in the bank!

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
1 Paul Carden
post Mar 8 2016, 10:57 PM
Post #7

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1481

QUOTE (1midfield general @ Mar 8 2016, 10:46 PM) *
He should have been playing, months ago. The lad is quality.

That's the only negative. That Burr took so long to blood him.
Difficult to judge, and maybe a touch pernickety but you could see the massive gaps appear in midfield when Shaw came on for him.

--------------------
City Fans United

+Quote Post
seals
post Mar 8 2016, 11:11 PM
Post #8

Squad player

Member No.: 2012

thought shaw did ok when he came on and certainly had the right attitude.

+Quote Post
1midfield genera...
post Mar 9 2016, 06:24 AM
Post #9

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8334

If Swansea or anyone wants him. Then its 500k minimum, rising to 1 million with a sell on clause. This lad is our Jamie Vardy.

+Quote Post
sealand road vet...
post Mar 9 2016, 07:40 AM
Post #10

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 5701

QUOTE (seals @ Mar 8 2016, 10:20 PM) *
been texted that scouts from swansea were there watching sam .

The Swansea scout was sat right behind us, not sure who he was there to watch but you should have seen his face when Alabi put his fourth goal in, scribbling like mad on his note book and texting. He can't fail to have been impressed with a few of our players last night.

+Quote Post
Yin
post Mar 9 2016, 11:36 AM
Post #11

Squad player

Member No.: 10837

QUOTE (1 Paul Carden @ Mar 8 2016, 10:16 PM) *
Boy's the real deal. I've been watching us for 20+years and I can't remember seeing many youth products scoring two in a game, let alone a holding midfielder. He makes such an enormous difference to our side as he gives us the f**king platform we've been screaming out for all season. Wins nigh on every header, keeps it simple, is a huge threat from set pieces (as shown tonight) and will definitely play at a higher level. Well done Callum et al in the youth setup, Sam is a bloody gem!

A long journey for Sam and all involved in his development at Chester Fc Academy.
Produced by the dedicated volunteers within the Academy who give up their endless hours in all weather to achieve last nights end product in terms of player development.
Proof that a non football league funded youth set up CAN source and develop a potential football league standard (in my opinion) player.
I cannot applaude more all of the Board past & present who supported the cause of "Home-Grown" player development.
Surely the "End Of Season Awards" finally has something to celebrate !!!!!!!!!.

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Mar 9 2016, 11:41 AM
Post #12

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1562

He's the player Luke George should have been this season.

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Mar 9 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #13

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Yin @ Mar 9 2016, 11:36 AM) *

A long journey for Sam and all involved in his development at Chester Fc Academy.
Produced by the dedicated volunteers within the Academy who give up their endless hours in all weather to achieve last nights end product in terms of player development.
Proof that a non football league funded youth set up CAN source and develop a potential football league standard (in my opinion) player.
I cannot applaude more all of the Board past & present who supported the cause of "Home-Grown" player development.

It is indeed proof positive to all the doubters that by working with talented volunteers to nurture these lads that there are gems out there if you look hard enough.

I actually remember someone ringing me telling me they'd had a lead on this lad at West Kirkby and "his shape is unreal" rolleyes.gif . His progress since then is a testament to those long hours people have spent on pitches and in cars, doing it for the love of their club.

It's also a testament to the people who fundraised for youth development, and to the vision of people like Ian Swetenham and the faith he showed in people. Putting his money where his mouth is in supporting Calum shows a belief that often the right person in football is not the biggest name.

Sam will hopefully be followed by many more in the years to come.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Arrogant Blue
post Mar 9 2016, 12:32 PM
Post #14

3 in a row

Member No.: 133

He has that "extra second" which Danny Collins had when he was here. In the game against Tranmere at Prenton Park he was the only plus point and should have been given more opportunities in the interim. However, it may be argued that a loan spell was what he needed.

If I were the Swansea scout I would also be reporting back about Henneghan and Astles. Smalling at Utd made the leap that Astles could also make. The lad looks a real find! He is strong, athletic and can kick for miles.

--------------------
One love, we don't need another love. One love, one heart and one soul. We can have it all, easy, peasy, ooh ho ho!

+Quote Post
russ45
post Mar 9 2016, 01:03 PM
Post #15

groundsman

Member No.: 3617

A big Talent that will be gone soon, probably for stupid money......

--------------------
When I watch you Chester, I go off my head....I just cant get enough, I just cant get enough...

+Quote Post
Rhodri
post Mar 9 2016, 01:19 PM
Post #16

1st team regular

Member No.: 1019

If a player is only on a contact till end of the season - which Astles is off the top of my head - can we demand a transfer fee for him? Surely this would only be the case if we had him tied down on a contract going into next season?

As others have said... let's get Hughes and Astles on longer contracts! I think Heneghan already is, but I'm pretty sure someone will sign him up this summer, so he wouldn't be with us next year.

+Quote Post
mused
post Mar 9 2016, 01:26 PM
Post #17

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

Hopefully the doubters, none believers and nay Sayers will now believe that chester can produce its own players.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Mar 9 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #18

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Rhodri @ Mar 9 2016, 01:19 PM) *
If a player is only on a contact till end of the season - which Astles is off the top of my head - can we demand a transfer fee for him? Surely this would only be the case if we had him tied down on a contract going into next season?

As others have said... let's get Hughes and Astles on longer contracts! I think Heneghan already is, but I'm pretty sure someone will sign him up this summer, so he wouldn't be with us next year.

We'd get Bosmans on them both via tribunal as they are both u21.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Marty Funkhouser
post Mar 9 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #19

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8363

I'm only a fan, but I was as proud as punch when Sam scored the first goal last night. The lad looks a great player and reminds me a bit of a young Graham Barrow. There is no praise high enough for Calum and Volunteers at the Youth Academy, they've produced a potential star.

--------------------
If you can

+Quote Post
Richard
post Mar 9 2016, 03:34 PM
Post #20

1st team regular

Member No.: 3477

QUOTE (NWAS @ Mar 9 2016, 11:46 AM) *

It is indeed proof positive to all the doubters that by working with talented volunteers to nurture these lads that there are gems out there if you look hard enough.

I actually remember someone ringing me telling me they'd had a lead on this lad at West Kirkby and "his shape is unreal" rolleyes.gif . His progress since then is a testament to those long hours people have spent on pitches and in cars, doing it for the love of their club.

It's also a testament to the people who fundraised for youth development, and to the vision of people like Ian Swetenham and the faith he showed in people. Putting his money where his mouth is in supporting Calum shows a belief that often the right person in football is not the biggest name.

It's great to see this happen and it is indeed testament to the hard work over the last 5 years of all the volunteers involved
I have little doubt that Callum will continue with this great work

+Quote Post
nicksonmatt
post Mar 9 2016, 03:55 PM
Post #21

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1289

Sam Hughes is quickly establishing himself in the side and has taken his chance with both hands. He looks like he could be a real asset to our club and I look forward to witnessing his progression.

--------------------
Chester F.C established 21st May 2010.

+Quote Post
Devon Blue
post Mar 10 2016, 01:56 AM
Post #22

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Member No.: 42

QUOTE (Marty Funkhouser @ Mar 9 2016, 02:12 PM) *
I'm only a fan, but I was as proud as punch when Sam scored the first goal last night. The lad looks a great player and reminds me a bit of a young Graham Barrow. There is no praise high enough for Calum and Volunteers at the Youth Academy, they've produced a potential star.

There is no such thing as "Only a fan." Without a fan there is no club. Some clubs treat their supporters as "only fans" but fans (at least those who don't cause trouble) should be proud of who they are and the team they support.

--------------------
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>COME ON YOU BLUES! </span>

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Mar 10 2016, 12:13 PM
Post #23

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

QUOTE (NWAS @ Mar 9 2016, 11:46 AM) *

^ This
I would also say to all those that are now saying he should have been in the team months ago, whatever you think of SB and his formations etc, he has a history of bringing young lads into teams at the right time, you dont do that by just luck.
A loan spell was just what he needed, that is now obvious, what is also obvious is the lad needs to stay grounded and i dont think we could have a a better manager to keep him there than what we currently have.
Well done to all in producing a fine talent, but well done to Sam Hughes for listening to good advice, keep listening you wont go far wrong.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2021 - 11:00 AM