Total Votes: 2
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Dec 27 2019, 11:58 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

We are back in action for the second time in 48 hours tomorrow as we entertain Curzon Ashton at home where we look to end 2019 on a high. Sadly we cannot dwell on yesterday’s superb victory for too long as our hectic festive schedule means that we have another game, although our triumph at Southport will bring a lot of renewed confidence into this. It won’t be as straightforward as we think because our opponents have improved a bit lately, and they will have plenty of men behind the ball. In my opinion I’d like us to stick with the same team because that worked so well yesterday. There might be a few tired legs with it being just after Southport, but Gary Stopforth’s role and the partnership of George Waring and Akwasi Asante were some of the key factors of our win.

Our last match was of course yesterday where we demolished Southport 3-1 away in what was a resounding result for us. We were marginally the better side in the first half, and in the opening stages we hit the woodwork not once, but twice. Firstly, a Joel Taylor cross actually hit the post, whilst George Glendon hit the opposite post just moments later after a lovely counter attack. Southport’s goal came against the run of play though, as former blue Ryan Astles slammed in the rebound to make it 1-0 to them. George Waring responded for us before half time to make it 1-1, as he slotted home into the far corner. Meanwhile, our dominance came to fruition in the second period as we played some beautiful stuff, and Akwasi Asante made it 2-1 to us at the start of the half as he tapped in from close range. Then, Gary Roberts netted a howitzer from 35 yards out to make it 3-1 to us, and I really do think that it is a goal of the season contender. I have just watched the highlights on the National League website, and it actually looks 10 times better than it was live. Southport were as flat as a pancake and didn’t have the ability to get themselves back in the match.

Curzon Ashton will be making the venture from Greater Manchester having had an okay season so far. Their aim is just to survive relegation given they have a small budget and low attendances, and they aren’t doing too badly at the moment. The Nash started the campaign in some style as they hammered Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC 5-0 on the opening day and defeated Darlington later on in August. However, manager Mark Bradshaw was facing the sack as it took them until November (11 league matches to be precise) for them to record their next win. Curzon have won four out of their last eight games though (including a surprise win against York City) to steer themselves away from the drop zone, so they have renewed optimism.

Our opponents implied what they are capable of last season as they recorded a shock 1-0 win here, so we will have to play like we did yesterday to avoid a repeat. I expect them to park the bus again, so it’s essential that we have enough quality in the final third to muster shots towards the target. We are very good in possession, but to avoid the frustrations of AFC Telford United we need to be a bit more clinical. Our support yesterday was very strong so we need to replicate that again, as a couple more wins will certainly bring the feel-good factor back. Come On City!

Score: Chester FC (Hughes) 1-0 Curzon Ashton

Attendance: 1,863 (61 Curzon Ashton)

My predicted lineup:
Griffiths
Morgan Livesey Grand Taylor
Jackson G.Roberts Glendon
Stopforth
Waring Asante

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 27 2019, 10:56 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/Vpkx0cqpWQs
Includes the goals from yesterday, what happened when we last played against Curzon Ashton, plus loads more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 28 2019, 09:35 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

A real case of one step forward and two steps back as we have been very Jekyll and Hyde lately. It baffles me how we go to one of the toughest places in the league and triumph 3-1, yet just a couple of days later we don’t turn up and go down to a lowly side in our own backyard. We just had no plan B at all today as our slow, negative style of football was the reason why we lost. It reminded me of the way England used to play a few years ago as we spent most of the game in our own half without any ambition. Curzon Ashton were poor in the first half, but they soon sussed us out and came away with a surprise result. They were more effective than us in the second period as they attacked well without really getting into second gear. We missed a big opportunity to close the gap as the top two dropped four points between them, and once again we failed to deliver in front of a decent crowd.

We were actually alright in the first period as we had plenty of possession and looked quite comfortable considering Curzon barely offered anything. There were still elements of pedestrianisation in our play though, as we were rather sloppy and lazy in some periods. Elton Ngwatala went close to breaking the deadlock just a few minutes in as a hooked Gary Roberts ball fell to him, but he blasted over. Towards the 15th minute mark Elton Ngwatala actually found the net for us as he did well to touch the ball straight down the middle, although the linesman had his flag up for offside. Cameron Mason made a string of excellent saves for the visitors today, and his first one was when he denied Akwasi Asante from a few yards out. At the other end we survived a slight scare as Russ Griffiths had to tip the ball around the post to prevent Andy Scott from taking the lead. Past the half hour mark Ngwatala had another opportunity, but his poor touch was straight at Mason. The last piece of action before the break was when Gary Roberts curled a free kick over the bar. On the whole the first half wasn’t a great spectacle, but we were okay in some periods.

However, the second half was a different story because instead of actually going for the win which was there for the taking, we surprisingly dropped off and deployed a negative approach. On the ball we rarely strung three passes together, and Curzon’s patient approach worked as they hunted us down and were effective on the break. It’s not often I question our managers, but their substitutions were bizarre as you don’t bring on two defenders when you are a goal down at home. We should have made changes much earlier on when the points were still on the table, and Matty Hughes would have been the perfect option as he wears his heart on his sleeve and offers us pace out wide. Perhaps Danny Elliott could have been another outlet to go for as I’d rather us go for the game with nothing to lose, alongside plenty of attacking options. We did have a couple of very good chances that could have saw us bundle ourselves over the line, but it wasn’t to be and we must rediscover our prowess in the final third. Just four minutes into the half, former blue Andy Halls made it 1-0 to Curzon Ashton as he netted a header at the back post, despite Russ Griffiths almost clawing it out. If only he could score when he was in a Chester shirt!! Ex-goat Robbie Evans went close to doubling our opponents’ lead, but Griffiths got down low to keep him out. Russ was called into action soon after as Andy Scott fizzed an attempt into his hands. Disaster almost struck just a minute later as Sean Miller’s shot that hit the post was converted into the net by Mike Calveley for Curzon Ashton, but it was disallowed for offside. Just to sum up a miserable afternoon, an ambitious Joel Taylor hit went miles over, whilst an Akwasi Asante chance was gathered by Cameron Mason. Curzon’s custodian made an outstanding save with time ticking, as he somehow diverted Anthony Dudley’s shot away after he did well to swivel and turn. The Nash had two opportunities in one go as substitute Charlie Jolley was denied by Griffiths twice, whilst an Asante effort from a few yards out was somehow kept out by Mason. Despite the few great chances we had, our second half display was lacklustre which saw us deservedly lose.

My man of the match decision on Thursday was difficult to prosper, and it is a tough one to call once again today - for the wrong reasons though! Russ Griffiths made some smart stops so I will probably go for him. Other than that though, the majority of our team underperformed. Elton Ngwatala was involved frequently in the opening stages, but after that he dropped like a stone and didn’t know what to do on the ball. Our centre backs didn’t win as many headers as they usually do, and the omission of Danny Livesey to injury was a reason why they weren’t as consistent. We also missed Brad Jackson as he would have been able to get out wide and start our attacks more quickly. Gary Stopforth had a rare off day too because he wasn’t involved as much as he usually is, and he failed to win loose balls.

This is a very disappointing result, and we need to turn things around again and rediscover our spark from Thursday. Our next match is on Wednesday where we will play against Southport at home who got trounced today. They will certainly change things from Thursday as I don’t expect them to perform as poorly as they did, so it’s crucial that we play even better otherwise we will get found out. Of course my faith still lies with our team, but it’s so frustrating when we beat top sides such as Southport, Brackley Town, and Farsley Celtic, yet drop points to lowly outfits such as Curzon Ashton and Blyth Spartans.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 29 2019, 01:28 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/6FVHGU5_CtY

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2020 - 06:39 PM