NWAS
post Feb 2 2018, 12:43 PM
Post #1

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 11

***UPDATE ON THE MEETING TOMORROW***

JUST A REMINDER IT IS A CHESTER FANS MEETING. ALL WELCOME. FREE TO GET IN.

Chester FC website post

Attending the Chester FC Supporters Open Meeting tomorrow? Here’s all your timings of what to expect in tomorrow’s meeting.

Running order

2pm Doors open

2.30pm Welcome, fundraising and survey update and thanks

2.35pm Meet the board

2.50pm Working Group leader updates

3.15pm Academy Update – Calum McIntyre

3.30pm Community Trust Update – Jim Green

3.45pm Q&A session

4pm meeting closes

4.50pm Bar closes

Manager Marcus Bignot will also be attending the meeting for the Q&A session.

We look forward to seeing you down at the Swansway! guiness.gif

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Feb 3 2018, 12:27 PM
Post #2

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 11

QUOTE (NWAS @ Feb 2 2018, 12:43 PM) *
***UPDATE ON THE MEETING TOMORROW***

JUST A REMINDER IT IS A CHESTER FANS MEETING. ALL WELCOME. FREE TO GET IN.

Chester FC website post

Attending the Chester FC Supporters Open Meeting tomorrow? Here’s all your timings of what to expect in tomorrow’s meeting.

Running order

2pm Doors open

2.30pm Welcome, fundraising and survey update and thanks

2.35pm Meet the board

2.50pm Working Group leader updates

3.15pm Academy Update – Calum McIntyre

3.30pm Community Trust Update – Jim Green

3.45pm Q&A session

4pm meeting closes

4.50pm Bar closes

Manager Marcus Bignot will also be attending the meeting for the Q&A session.

We look forward to seeing you down at the Swansway! guiness.gif

Bump

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Feb 3 2018, 01:59 PM
Post #3

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 8970

Marcus Bignot attending !!!!!

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Feb 3 2018, 04:51 PM
Post #4

1st team regular

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1471

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Feb 3 2018, 01:59 PM) *

Yes... he managed to put a dampener on what was otherwise a positive meeting.

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Feb 3 2018, 05:45 PM
Post #5

1st team regular

Bignot announced eight players names circulated to other clubs as immediately available. Also had to let his assistant manager go.

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
RioTheBallBoy
post Feb 3 2018, 06:05 PM
Post #6

1st team regular

Member No.: 12774

I enjoyed that meeting. It started with Simon Olorenshaw introducing himself back onto the board as well as Mark Howell, Jeff Banks and Calvin Hughes. Andrew Morris went through some slides telling us about the survey results. Over 600 people completed the survey and the feedback sounds very promising. Andy is hoping to send all of the replies back in the next couple of days. There are various working groups now set up to bring ideas forward on how this club can grow even more. After the survey update the board then introduced themselves and how they are going to bring the club forward. As Grenville said in his passionate speech, the board are all volunteers as well as having important jobs outside of our club, and they should be respected for stepping up and helping this club getting back on its feet. Grenville also said that he is more than happy to help the new board. Guy Lister then stood up to say how important this club is to our city. He said that we are going to be working hard to promote the club in and around the city to create the next generation of supporters. At the meeting, the room was packed out with older supporters with little younger supporters there. Next time we have an open meeting, we need the room to have a mixture of young and older fans. One day these fans won’t be here sadly, but we need to build a platform to encourage our next generation of supporters to be involved with the club. Guy also said that the club is going to be continuing our relationship with the University, and he’s taking a group of young people from his church to the Eastleigh game in 2 weeks time. He said that they didn’t even know that the city had a football club, but hopefully they will come back regularly.
A CFU member (can’t remember his name sadly) stood up at the front to talk about working groups. He said that Deva Chat comes up with great ideas about raising funds etc. but never gets touched on by the club. He said that a ‘Deva chat ideas website’ could possibly be launched so the club can pick up on suggestions about how we can grow even more.
Then someone else talked to us about hospitality, mascot packages etc. They said that the same old people are turning up for hospitality each home game, and they want the legends lounge to be packed with new faces from now on. Also for the charity game in 2 weeks time, 22 mascot packages will be allocated at £120 per head (11 mascots for each team). All of the money will go directly to the club and details will be launched soon.
The ‘100 club’ has completely gone out of the water now, but a ‘pitch club’ thing when companies sponsor the club is to be launched soon. I can’t remember fully what it is about now but something along those lines will be announced. Interestingly Mark Maguire wasn’t there today.
Jim Green spoke about how well the community trust is evolving. They received £18,000 this week from the premier league, which is really good. I’m sure some of that money will be used to help us out. A fan zone is set to be in place soon. It will include membership forms, music and Jim said that some former players could attend sometimes. The ‘centre of excellence’ boxes in the West Stand will be used for children before home games. They will have Xbox’s, PlayStations etc. so children can play on them.
Calum McIntyre talked about the youth set-up. He went through slides on the scholars’ schedule and how they prepare for games. Also he went on about Sam Hughes and our past academy graduates’ successes.
Marcus Bignot answered some fans’ questions. It’s clear that he has had to work on very little with his ‘hands tied up.’ Someone enquirered about a scouting network. Marcus said that he has people in the South, Midlands, North West and North East who he pays to go to scout players at matches. Also he said that Ross Thorpe left this week due to costs, so Marcus is now working on his own. It was funny when one fan complained about lack of width. ‘’We only have Craig Mahon so why can’t we have Chapell back’’ he said 😂. Marcus was amused too.
But it was a good meeting and it’s clear that we are heading in the right direction. It’s only the start, though.
COYB!!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue

+Quote Post
BlueArmy1972
post Feb 3 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Debut

Member No.: 12858

So 8 players could be leaving shortly ??

+Quote Post
blue forever
post Feb 3 2018, 09:06 PM
Post #8

Squad player

Member No.: 4535

QUOTE (BlueArmy1972 @ Feb 3 2018, 09:35 PM) *

I went to the meeting today i think was to me a fund raising cry for help to keep us going i welcome the new faces and familiar faces to the board and sure that we will be much better and stronger for this But for me this meeting just tells how bad this club has been run to let this club get so low and on its knees is an absolute disgrace. I noticed one person asked who was to blame and got a reply saying we dont want to go down that road Why we want answers so it wont happen again why is one man i believe Calvin Hughes is the person who oversees with the manager who we are allowed to sign or who we allow to go or who we pay or take on contracs surley a fan owned club should have some say ho was the personwho gave bignot the managers job ? dont we have any say?tHAT TO ME IS A FAN OWNED CLUB I also noticed nothing much was said about the the first team with players being off loaded to me that just seems that we have already accepted relagation there is still 15 games left and a lot can happen so thats my view for what its worth .

+Quote Post
Burrfect
post Feb 3 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #9

Squad player

Member No.: 11919

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Feb 3 2018, 04:51 PM) *

Dampener do you think that possibly losing 8 players and his assistant Manager is a cause for Celibration , doesn’t mater how many players are missing he will be held responsible if we lose. Goes with the job I suppose but can you see this happening to a premiership manager, it’s a different world.

+Quote Post
blue forever
post Feb 3 2018, 09:59 PM
Post #10

Squad player

Member No.: 4535

QUOTE (Burrfect @ Feb 3 2018, 09:46 PM) *

Dampener do you think that possibly losing 8 players and his assistant Manager is a cause for Celibration , doesn’t mater how many players are missing he will be held responsible if we lose. Goes with the job I suppose but can you see this happening to a premiership manager, it’s a different world.

I think if his contract is till the end of the season us fans need to be able to vote who WE want to be manager some sort of poll and whoever wins that vote then all being well and if its possible should try and get him on board then its our fault if it dont work out After all its our club

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Feb 4 2018, 12:33 AM
Post #11

1st team regular

QUOTE (Burrfect @ Feb 3 2018, 09:46 PM) *

I described it as a 'dampener' because in contrast to the other speakers Bignot seemed only interested in self-publication and complaining about the situation he was in. It's a very difficult situation for any manager to be in, but, I'm sorry, I was not impressed by his contribution to the meeting.

This post has been edited by The Annexe: Feb 4 2018, 12:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Almost Blue
post Feb 4 2018, 11:35 AM
Post #12

1st team captain

Member No.: 2954

QUOTE (BlueArmy1972 @ Feb 3 2018, 08:35 PM) *

Guessing that could be the five with two year deals, plus Chapell, Joyce and Davies??

--------------------
English Corner, Harry Mac Terrace - since 1992.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Feb 4 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #13

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Member No.: 8970

this is not a negative post just cant get my head around the maths, we were told we needed to find 50k to keep the business afloat, I presumed that was to continue paying the wages as this amounts to 80% of our costs, we are now told that 8 players plus the assistant plus the players that have already left, doesn't actually add up, can we debate the numbers ?

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Feb 4 2018, 02:51 PM
Post #14

1st team regular

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Feb 4 2018, 02:25 PM) *
this is not a negative post just cant get my head around the maths, we were told we needed to find 50k to keep the business afloat, I presumed that was to continue paying the wages as this amounts to 80% of our costs, we are now told that 8 players plus the assistant plus the players that have already left, doesn't actually add up, can we debate the numbers ?

The eight players' names have been circulated to other clubs, but they're still on our books until someone takes them. It's more of a move to clear the books for next season so that they don't take up half of the projected budget for next year. Clearly, if they move on now then it will also reduce costs for this season. The assistant manager going is presumably trimming outlay where no contracts are involved.
The 50K is, I think, needed urgently to avoid us defaulting by end of Feb because of cash flow problems. We are due significant income before the end of season, from match day attendances (particularly Tranmere game), Sam Hughes transfer money, and Alabi tribunal money.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bambi_CCFC
post Feb 4 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #15

The MIGHTY MIGHTY Chester....

Member No.: 1490

QUOTE (blue forever @ Feb 3 2018, 09:06 PM) *

But for me this meeting just tells how bad this club has been run to let this club get so low and on its knees is an absolute disgrace. I noticed one person asked who was to blame and got a reply saying we dont want to go down that road Why we want answers so it wont happen again

I think this is a valid point. We, as owners, need to fully understand what went so badly wrong. It wasnt just one poor call, there's clearly been a string of serious failures - JM, commercial, financial management, the CEO etc.

Their leadership brought us to the brink of collapse, why exactly?

--------------------
Northern Premier League Division One North Champions 2010/11

Northern Premier League Premier Division Champions 2011/12

Conference North Champions 2012/13

Supporters Direct Cup: Winners 2011
Peter Swailes Shield: Winners 2012
Cheshire Senior Cup: Winners 2013

+Quote Post
righteousblue
post Feb 4 2018, 05:27 PM
Post #16

Fan since 77

Member No.: 6578

QUOTE (Bambi_CCFC @ Feb 4 2018, 04:15 PM) *

But for me this meeting just tells how bad this club has been run to let this club get so low and on its knees is an absolute disgrace. I noticed one person asked who was to blame and got a reply saying we dont want to go down that road Why we want answers so it wont happen again

I think this is a valid point. We, as owners, need to fully understand what went so badly wrong. It wasnt just one poor call, there's clearly been a string of serious failures - JM, commercial, financial management, the CEO etc.

The CEO and boards failure to apply due diligence in decision making. The net effect wrong managers being brought into the club and allowed to be reckless with the playing budget. The overall outcome poor results and low gates. Low gates cause fall in revenue. Money does not grow on trees. The stayaway fans need to return for the club to survive.

This post has been edited by righteousblue: Feb 4 2018, 05:28 PM

+Quote Post
JamesDee
post Feb 5 2018, 01:00 AM
Post #17

JamesDee

Member No.: 3729

QUOTE (Bambi_CCFC @ Feb 5 2018, 02:45 AM) *

I agree. But my guess is because they used up all the War Chest of 100,000 GBP which was supposed to stay there until we were making a bid for o promotion. Jonny Hughes reported using up all the reserves but whst other so-called reserves were there other than the War Chest that has been mis-used without CFU members permission for something else. As CFU members we should have answers and not have to make guesses.

+Quote Post
nytram
post Feb 5 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #18

Youth team

Member No.: 3415

Since we reformed and went on that wonderful promotion after promotion the board have always budgeted on attendances which were way above our clubs history. We have always been the league club with the smallest attendance. Whilst we went on the promotion trip our attendance was like a league club. But this was due to a phoenix club and winning game after game. Once we get in a bad run the attendance drops as has this season. We should always budget on an attendance of 1500. Even if we got in the league and won game after game I couldn't see our attendance being more than 3000. So set our budget on no more than 1500 gate.

+Quote Post
3mm
post Feb 5 2018, 04:19 PM
Post #19

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (JamesDee @ Feb 5 2018, 01:00 AM) *
.................... But my guess is because they used up all the War Chest of 100,000 GBP which was supposed to stay there until we were making a bid for o promotion................

Not sure the "war chest" of £100k was intended to be used to aid a promotion push, I think it was more of a "rainy day" fund.

Over the last 12 months the board have, in effect, done their own 'rain dance' and caused it to rain, so much so that the reserve fund has gone, and an additional £50k is needed just to get us to the end of this season.

The £50k is not the be-all-and-end-all either, I think we'll be fundraising for some time to come yet.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
JamesDee
post Feb 6 2018, 01:42 AM
Post #20

JamesDee

QUOTE (3mm @ Feb 6 2018, 02:49 AM) *
QUOTE (JamesDee @ Feb 5 2018, 01:00 AM) *
.................... But my guess is because they used up all the War Chest of 100,000 GBP which was supposed to stay there until we were making a bid for o promotion................

Not sure the "war chest" of £100k was intended to be used to aid a promotion push, I think it was more of a "rainy day" fund.

Over the last 12 months the board have, in effect, done their own 'rain dance' and caused it to rain, so much so that the reserve fund has gone, and an additional £50k is needed just to get us to the end of this season.

The £50k is not the be-all-and-end-all either, I think we'll be fundraising for some time to come yet.

But whatever, as Bambi says, we should be told exactly why and how this "rain dance" happened. Why, where and when did the money go and why wait until the very last second to tell us? Many of us are unable to get to CFU meetings to hear whatever was actually said

+Quote Post
Che Guevara
post Feb 6 2018, 11:30 AM
Post #21

Castra Devana

Member No.: 1198

The board have been complicit in spending money we don't have, however, fans not attending are the principle cause of our lack of money. Gate receipts are not covering basic day to day costs. The harsh reality is the day to day costs will have to be cut, and that will be unpalatable to many.

You can forget full time football, full time youth coaches etc., despite how 'essential' they may appear - we simply cannot sustain that at our level in the pyramid on such low crowds - and looking at the budgets in the Conference North, forget our glory days under Neil Young where we spent our way up. Make no mistake this club will still be on a knife edge after the 50k is raised.

Some people will embrace part time step 6 football, but to many its so far removed from the old days in the League they wont bother.

This post has been edited by Che Guevara: Feb 6 2018, 11:42 AM

--------------------
Neil Young: You WERE the caretaker here.

Harry McNally: I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but YOU are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know Sir - I've always been here.

+Quote Post
JamesDee
post Feb 6 2018, 12:32 PM
Post #22

JamesDee

QUOTE (Che Guevara @ Feb 6 2018, 10:00 PM) *

The board have been complicit in spending money we don't have, however, fans not attending are the principle cause of our lack of money. Gate receipts are not covering basic day to day costs. The harsh reality is the day to day costs will have to be cut, and that will be unpalatable to many.

You can forget full time football, full time youth coaches etc., despite how 'essential' they may appear - we simply cannot sustain that at our level in the pyramid on such low crowds - and looking at the budgets in the Conference North, forget our glory days under Neil Young where we spent our way up. Make no mistake this club will still be on a knife edge after the 50k is raised.

There is an old saying about "cutt8ng your coat avvordimngyo you c;oth" shich in evrydsy;snguage means

Some people will embrace part time step 6 football, but to many its so far removed from the old days in the League they wont bother.

There is an old saying about "cutting your coat according to your cloth" which in everyday language means "to plan one's aims and activities in line with one's resources and circumstances" or "to act in accordance with ones financial limitations."

Obviously these immediate past departed Board members didn't know how to do this and in spite of the obvious and inevitable they overspent. The changed and changing financial requirements were too much for them to deal with falling gates and o re-adjust to when falling gates occurred during two seasons of poor results under Burr and McM. For the future we CFU members must insist on their understanding and have our requirement from those elected as CFU Board members on their understanding of this basic requirement of management of our club and NOT to pre-commit funds or have contracts with players and staff using funds that we haven't got. Those reserves of 100,000 GPB that we once had was not a small amount to have gathered but very easy and convenient to dispose of but it took quite some time to build up and now needs to be put back there for future. It is now very clear that once we get through this immediate situation, whatever league we are in, it will take quite a while of several seasons of re-building to again reach the reasonably stable position we once had when we re-entered the National (Conference; Vanarama) League.

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Feb 6 2018, 12:58 PM
Post #23

1st team regular

QUOTE (JamesDee @ Feb 6 2018, 12:32 PM) *

There is an old saying about "cutt8ng your coat avvordimngyo you c;oth" shich in evrydsy;snguage means

There is an old saying about "cutting your coat according to your cloth" which in everyday language means "to plan one's aims and activities in line with one's resources and circumstances" or "to act in accordance with ones financial limitations."

Obviously these immediate past departed Board members didn't know how to do this and in spite of the obvious and inevitable they overspent. The changed and changing financial requirements were too much for them to deal with falling gates and o re-adjust to when falling gates occurred during two seasons of poor results under Burr and McM. For the future we CFU members must insist on their understanding and have our requirement from those elected as CFU Board members on their understanding of this basic requirement of management of our club and NOT to pre-commit funds or have contracts with players and staff using funds that we haven't got. Those reserves of 100,000 GPB that we once had was not a small amount to have gathered but very easy and convenient to dispose of but it took quite some time to build up and now needs to be put back there for future. It is now very clear that once we get through this immediate situation, whatever league we are in, it will take quite a while of several seasons of re-building to again reach the reasonably stable position we once had when we re-entered the National (Conference; Vanarama) League.

The reduction in crowd income (compared to last season) would have bitten into the 'rainy day fund', but didn't lead to the current crisis. The tipping point was the board agreeing to the fans demand for a change in manager after only a few weeks into the season. The end result (ie relagation) looks to be the same, but at a financial cost that we couldn't afford.

This post has been edited by The Annexe: Feb 6 2018, 12:59 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
JamesDee
post Feb 6 2018, 01:23 PM
Post #24

JamesDee

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Feb 6 2018, 11:28 PM) *

The reduction in crowd income (compared to last season) would have bitten into the 'rainy day fund', but didn't lead to the current crisis. The tipping point was the board agreeing to the fans demand for a change in manager after only a few weeks into the season. The end result (ie relagation) looks to be the same, but at a financial cost that we couldn't afford.

If you argue that was the tipping point then surely McM should have been gone before he spent this seasons budget over the last summer period. The poor gates followed his poor player judgement that should already have been noticed (before that summer new players stage had been reached). Wasn't that the biggest prior basic mistake that led to the poor team performances that in turn led to poor gates this season and has subsequently made life for Bignot very difficult?

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Feb 6 2018, 04:11 PM
Post #25

1st team regular

QUOTE (JamesDee @ Feb 6 2018, 01:23 PM) *
QUOTE (The Annexe @ Feb 6 2018, 11:28 PM) *

If you argue that was the tipping point then surely McM should have been gone before he spent this seasons budget over the last summer period. The poor gates followed his poor player judgement that should already have been noticed (before that summer new players stage had been reached). Wasn't that the biggest prior basic mistake that led to the poor team performances that in turn led to poor gates this season and has subsequently made life for Bignot very difficult?

You wanted to know why we ended up in this position ... if you want to indulge in the hindsight blame game then feel free. However none of that will assist going forward, nor offer any lessons to be learnt.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2018 - 08:02 AM