Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conservative pledges 2015
open yer eyes ma...
post Aug 29 2015, 11:51 AM
Post #51

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 850

With the situation in China likely to cause another global financial crisis, it will be interesting how the Tories will plan to blame the Labour Party for this one.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Aug 29 2015, 03:32 PM
Post #52

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 203

QUOTE (3mm @ Aug 28 2015, 01:29 PM) *
QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Aug 28 2015, 09:19 AM) *
Ah yes I can trump that,Labour were against joining the Common Market, Castle, Kinnock et all, but that didn't stop them jumping on the gravy train when the chance came....your round on Monday 3mm methinks 3mm laugh.gif

What? You'll have to think of something better than that to get a guiness.gif wink.gif

To be honest, I find it hard to get worked up about immigration at all.

When 71 Syrians get shut in a lorry and left at the side of the motorway to rot, and hundreds of Libyans drown trying to flee their county, I can't help but look at it and think "you know what, it's not really Britain getting the rough end of the deal here". It's horrible hearing prats like Cameron talking about "swarms" of migrants. Maybe a bit of human compassion and whatever help we can give to these people would be better placed? If thinking like that makes me a "loony left" or whatever then I can live with that.

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Aug 30 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #53

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

QUOTE (XWWB @ Aug 29 2015, 04:32 PM) *
Ah yes I can trump that,Labour were against joining the Common Market, Castle, Kinnock et all, but that didn't stop them jumping on the gravy train when the chance came....your round on Monday 3mm methinks 3mm laugh.gif

What? You'll have to think of something better than that to get a guiness.gif wink.gif

When 71 Syrians get shut in a lorry and left at the side of the motorway to rot, and hundreds of Libyans drown trying to flee their county, I can't help but look at it and think "you know what, it's not really Britain getting the rough end of the deal here". It's horrible hearing prats like Cameron talking about "swarms" of migrants. Maybe a bit of human compassion and whatever help we can give to these people would be better placed? If thinking like that makes me a "loony left" or whatever then I can live with that.

Well said sir!

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Aug 30 2015, 03:06 PM
Post #54

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (shunter blue @ Aug 30 2015, 02:55 PM) *

Well said sir!

We all have compassion for these people,but the fact is this country is not big enough to take unlimited immigration, fact, our services are already under strain from the current immigration, perhaps someone can suggest a solution? With thousands already on the way, what can be done?

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
sealandkopite
post Aug 31 2015, 09:26 PM
Post #55

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 7864

QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Aug 29 2015, 12:51 PM) *
With the situation in China likely to cause another global financial crisis, it will be interesting how the Tories will plan to blame the Labour Party for this one.

The one thing they will do is to protect their friend's and backers in the finance sector. Then they'll probably slash more benefits for the disabled and sick to pay for it

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 1 2015, 08:09 AM
Post #56

Group Icon

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Aug 30 2015, 04:06 PM) *

Well said sir!

We all have compassion for these people,but the fact is this country is not big enough to take unlimited immigration, fact, our services are already under strain from the current immigration, perhaps someone can suggest a solution? With thousands already on the way, what can be done?

That's not really being compassionate though, is it? That's putting our own relatively minor inconvenience ahead of someone else's matter of life or death.

I understand that a government's first priority is to look after it's own people, but it hasn't even done that very well over recent years (Labour or Tory) so it's a bit of a non-point anyway. And I'm not sure immigration stretches our resources as much as some sources would have you believe - personally, I doubt the NHS could cope without the number of foreign doctors and nurses it has.

As bluesince72 says, people should look at the root causes of immigration rather than simply complain when it happens. Illegal wars, brutal dictatorships, unfair distribution of global wealth, people smuggling, these are the things to get generally angry about, but people don't care about it. Immigration is a byproduct of all this, and that's the only point where a lot of people start caring.

+Quote Post
Deva Chanter
post Sep 1 2015, 12:59 PM
Post #57

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4436

I may be wrong, but for me, pretty much all of the people I personally know who are anti-immigration have underlying issues with racism, whether they'd like to accept it or not. The sort of people who wince at the thought of places like Bradford but yet have never been there in their entire lives.

--------------------
The first casualty of war is the truth.

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 1 2015, 01:02 PM
Post #58

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (XWWB @ Sep 1 2015, 09:09 AM) *

Well said sir!

That's not really being compassionate though, is it? That's putting our own relatively minor inconvenience ahead of someone else's matter of life or death.

I understand that a government's first priority is to look after it's own people, but it hasn't even done that very well over recent years (Labour or Tory) so it's a bit of a non-point anyway. And I'm not sure immigration stretches our resources as much as some sources would have you believe - personally, I doubt the NHS could cope without the number of foreign doctors and nurses it has.

As bluesince72 says, people should look at the root causes of immigration rather than simply complain when it happens. Illegal wars, brutal dictatorships, unfair distribution of global wealth, people. smuggling, these are the things to get generally angry about, but people don't care about it. Immigration is a byproduct of all this, and that's the only point where a lot of people start caring.

Excellent points as usual from you XWWB, but what is then the realistic global solution?
I have no problems with immigrant workers in this country at all, we are lucky in this area that our services are not stretched at all by immigration, but I'm afraid that there are parts of the country where it is.
As the Labour Party says,immigration was the number one issue brought up on the doorstep at the last election, so are those people to be ignored by either party? Because if so, surely that will create a vacuum which would only filled by extremists?

--------------------

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Sep 1 2015, 01:19 PM
Post #59

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

Well said sir!

It all comes down to cost in the end.
It wouldnt pay for it all but not giving MPs a 10% rise and a massive cull in the number in the House of Lords would help, not giving handouts to parasites whose moat is in a state of disrepair.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 1 2015, 02:13 PM
Post #60

Group Icon

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 1 2015, 02:02 PM) *
QUOTE (XWWB @ Sep 1 2015, 09:09 AM) *

Well said sir!

As bluesince72 says, people should look at the root causes of immigration rather than simply complain when it happens. Illegal wars, brutal dictatorships, unfair distribution of global wealth, people. smuggling, these are the things to get generally angry about, but people don't care about it. Immigration is a byproduct of all this, and that's the only point where a lot of people start caring.

Excellent points as usual from you XWWB, but what is then the realistic global solution?
I have no problems with immigrant workers in this country at all, we are lucky in this area that our services are not stretched at all by immigration, but I'm afraid that there are parts of the country where it is.
As the Labour Party says,immigration was the number one issue brought up on the doorstep at the last election, so are those people to be ignored by either party? Because if so, surely that will create a vacuum which would only filled by extremists?

Admittedly it's much easier to identify a problem than suggest a solution.

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 4 2015, 06:07 PM
Post #61

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

In the news today, the UK is to give an extra £100m in humanitarian aid for those in camps in Syria, Turkey, Jordan and the Lebanon.

Also, the Cancer Drugs Fund in England will no longer pay for 16 medicines used in 23 separate cancer treatments because they overspent their budget last year by £100m.

Is this really what people voted for?

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
sealandkopite
post Sep 4 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #62

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (3mm @ Sep 4 2015, 07:07 PM) *
In the news today, the UK is to give an extra £100m in humanitarian aid for those in camps in Syria, Turkey, Jordan and the Lebanon.

Also, the Cancer Drugs Fund in England will no longer pay for 16 medicines used in 23 separate cancer treatments because they overspent their budget last year by £100m.

Is this really what people voted for?

I guess it must be.

It seems we are happy to live in a Country where some need to use foodbanks to eat while others can't get their noses out of the trough.
I'm sure William and Kates little one is enjoying the £1million nursery and also Princess Beatrice has just had her 11th holiday in six Months, bless her

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 4 2015, 11:02 PM
Post #63

Group Icon

Cameron's backtracking over this is utterly pathetic. They've completely misjudged the feeling of the public on this who, unlike them, actually have compassionate human feelings about three-year-olds drowning and Syrians rotting in a lorry.

These people have less knowledge and understanding of the things they're supposed to govern than the average punter. I honestly think you could pick a bunch of randoms off the street and they wouldn't do a worse job of running the country. Maybe not better, but no worse.

Worst government ever.

+Quote Post
Deva Chanter
post Sep 4 2015, 11:26 PM
Post #64

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (XWWB @ Sep 5 2015, 12:02 AM) *

Cameron's backtracking over this is utterly pathetic. They've completely misjudged the feeling of the public on this who, unlike them, actually have compassionate human feelings about three-year-olds drowning and Syrians rotting in a lorry.

These people have less knowledge and understanding of the things they're supposed to govern than the average punter. I honestly think you could pick a bunch of randoms off the street and they wouldn't do a worse job of running the country. Maybe not better, but no worse.

Worst government ever.

I'm not so sure about this. Shamefully, I actually think Cameron represented public opinion pretty succinctly on this issue before the events of the last week.

The saddest thing about all of this is the fact that it needed a picture of that poor child lying dead on a beach for the vast majority, including Cameron, to give a s**t about what's going on and has been for months.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 5 2015, 11:27 AM
Post #65

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Deva Chanter @ Sep 5 2015, 12:26 AM) *

Worst government ever.

I'm not so sure about this. Shamefully, I actually think Cameron represented public opinion pretty succinctly on this issue before the events of the last week.

The saddest thing about all of this is the fact that it needed a picture of that poor child lying dead on a beach for the vast majority, including Cameron, to give a s**t about what's going on and has been for months.

In the last year we have taken from the EU alone over 660,000 immigrants. without counting other countries.
What I want to know, is why aren't the Gulf States not taking any?
Why is the United States only taking a 1,000?
It's very easy of Germany to tell everybody else what to do, both Germany and Poland have got room to take thousands without any problem at all.
Why isn't Australia taking more,they have more room than anyone?
It's very easy for Corbyn to say let them all in,where are they going to go?
Our young people here are complaining there is no jobs for them,or that the benefit system pays them more than they can earn,young people are saying it's hard getting on the housing ladder,and some on here want to make it even harder.
Can anybody on here answer that question?
It seems from the pictures the majority of the refugees are men, is their jobs for them, is their accommodation for them?
Corbyn now says he will get the Labour Party to oppose any action against Syria, when it seems to becoming the only action to take is to sort out the problem at source.
It's great to come on here and criticise Cameron,but nobody has come on here and offered a solution,what would YOU do in his place?

--------------------

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 5 2015, 11:48 AM
Post #66

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 5 2015, 12:27 PM) *
It's great to come on here and criticise Cameron,but nobody has come on here and offered a solution,what would YOU do in his place?

Thing is, it's Cameron's job to sort it out. No-one elses. If the Conservatives can't, people should bear it in mind at the next election and vote for someone else.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deva Chanter
post Sep 5 2015, 06:19 PM
Post #67

Reserve skipper

Worst government ever.

In the last year we have taken from the EU alone over 660,000 immigrants. without counting other countries.
It's very easy of Germany to tell everybody else what to do, both Germany and Poland have got room to take thousands without any problem at all.
Our young people here are complaining there is no jobs for them,or that the benefit system pays them more than they can earn,young people are saying it's hard getting on the housing ladder,and some on here want to make it even harder.
It seems from the pictures the majority of the refugees are men, is their jobs for them, is their accommodation for them?
Corbyn now says he will get the Labour Party to oppose any action against Syria, when it seems to becoming the only action to take is to sort out the problem at source.

Of course the Gulf states should be taking more of the refugees, there's no doubt about that - but there's very little we can do about that given the corrupt, dictatorial nature of their governments.

The lack of jobs for young people, and the disgracefully low wages they can earn in those jobs that are available - has nothing to do with refugees from Syria or Eritrea but everything to do with this governments policies.

As to your last point, I have to congratulate you on perhaps making your most ludicrous suggestion to date. Are you honestly suggesting we intervene militarily in Syria? Have you learnt nothing from Iraq and Afghanistan? (By the way, a large number of the refugees are coming from Iraq as a result of our failed bombing campaign there)
I'd like to know exactly who you would use our military against in Syria? Would it be al-Assad, who is a dictator using the military to flatten swathes of opposition across the country, or would it be ISIL, who are fighting al-Assad and the military? Or maybe the Free Syrian Army who have been infiltrated by ISIL? Or perhaps you think we should just bomb the s**t out of all of them? You actually believe that our military, that took 13 years to finish its job in Afghanistan and 8 years to leave Iraq would be able to, as you put it, "sort out the problem at source". I've never heard something so preposterous.

This post has been edited by Deva Chanter: Sep 5 2015, 06:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deva Chanter
post Sep 5 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #68

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (bluesince72 @ Sep 5 2015, 07:24 PM) *

Worst government ever.

There is no solution to it, if by solution you mean an end to mass movements of displaced and frightened people, the genie is out of the bottle and will not go back in.

To intervene in Syria would be the most lunatic 'answer' imaginable. What do you think caused this problem in the 1st place? Like every other problem in the middle east it was 'western' intervention! Begining at the time of the fall of the Ottoman Empire during WW1, outside interventions have distabalised the region, and every single intervention by western nations since WW2 has been a disaster.

Cameron deserves all the criticism he gets, he must share in a huge amount of blame, his government helped bring about a failed state in Libya, hence the open door for people from sub saharan Africa, Nigeria, Ethiopia and Eritrea, and of course Libya itself. His government also supported the Syrian opposition, and even tried to get parliament to support an idiotic proposal for a military campagn there. The result is Assad losing his grip on most of the country with ISIS filling the vacuum. The man is an idiot, and a heartless one to boot, he tried shirking his governments moral obligations, and would still be doing so had not the shocking images of a drowned young boy not been splashed accross the mass media.

Fantastic, erudite post. bowdown.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 5 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #69

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Looks like another one's going down the tubes. No end to it, is there?

BBC News - NHS weekend: 7-day GP opening 'unachievable'

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 5 2015, 11:25 PM
Post #70

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (3mm @ Sep 5 2015, 10:09 PM) *

All I offer is another opinion on here on a far-left forum, I ask questions that don't get answers, and thinking about it,I don't really know why I bother trying to have an honest debate on here, I've tried to put an alternative view, usually the lone voice on anything political,But I've had enough,that's me done on anything political for good!
All you leftwingers can have a great time now trying debate with each other with the same opinion, you can rattle on complaining about a democratically elected government doing all the wrong things, even though the country decided that's the government the electorate voted for,you will all have great time when Corbyn gets in, as you will have nothing to complain about because he will be carrying the far left agenda you all want.
In future I shall watch from a distance,I repeat, I will NOT post on a political post again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Che Guevara
post Sep 6 2015, 10:08 AM
Post #71

Castra Devana

Member No.: 1198

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 6 2015, 12:25 AM) *

All I offer is another opinion on here on a far-left forum, I ask questions that don't get answers, and thinking about it,I don't really know why I bother trying to have an honest debate on here, I've tried to put an alternative view, usually the lone voice on anything political,But I've had enough,that's me done on anything political for good!
All you leftwingers can have a great time now trying debate with each other with the same opinion, you can rattle on complaining about a democratically elected government doing all the wrong things, even though the country decided that's the government the electorate voted for,you will all have great time when Corbyn gets in, as you will have nothing to complain about because he will be carrying the far left agenda you all want.
In future I shall watch from a distance,I repeat, I will NOT post on a political post again.

You don't need to repeat, it's about your 5th self imposed political silence. ..

--------------------
Neil Young: You WERE the caretaker here.

Harry McNally: I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but YOU are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know Sir - I've always been here.

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Sep 6 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #72

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

Agreed, we need to be putting self-interest (Tory policy) to one side and resettling as many as possible of these Syrians, who through no fault of their own are victims of ISIL, whose atrocities are on a par with Nazi Germany. I really admire the way the Germans are welcoming refugees with open arms. TAKE NOTE CAMERON.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 6 2015, 09:18 PM
Post #73

Group Icon

It's a shame these debates always seem to end up with you taking this stance NFBF. I appreciate it must be frustrating expressing a minority viewpoint on here but I think it's been a good-natured discussion and people have answered your questions.

I think the mistake that you and the government are making is that you're talking as though the situation is not our fault and not our problem. The truth is that we are partly responsible for this through actions like the invasion of Iraq (yes, under a Labour government but let's not kid ourselves that the Tories wouldn't have done the same thing), and as a developed nation with decent human rights, we should be leading by example.

The reason the Gulf states, U.S.and Australia aren't taking refugees is because that's not where they are, they're in Europe. In E.U. countries, and as an E.U. country we need to shoulder some of the responsibility. In fact, it's notable that Switzerland isn't an EU country and yet it's taken in hundreds of thousands of Syrians.

I wouldn't disagree that the Gulf states should do their bit, but we can't do anything about that. We can do something about what we do though, and we should take the high ground rather than point the finger. "Can't someone else do it?" isn't a policy.

You mention job and housing shortages, but these are separate issues that the government is failing to address. With jobs in particular, they seem happy to fudge figures by allowing employers to offer very low quality jobs and contracts. Why do companies the size of McDonald's and Sports Direct need to be giving people zero hour contracts? They can quite easily manage giving employees a set number of hours, but the government is allowing them not to because it helps to give the impression that unemployment is falling.

Bear in mind that people create jobs. There isn't a fixed number of jobs that remains constant however many people live here. Everyone living here needs products and services, and therefore people to provide them. I'm not arguing for uncontrolled immigration, but it's a cop out to blame job and housing shortages on immigration I think.

One solution could be a fairer distribution of immigrants around the country. You've said yourself that immigration isn't really a problem in this part of the country, so perhaps there should be Syrian communities round here? A lot of people have a spare room or two, maybe incentives should be offered for them to offer it to a refugee?

The right thing to do, in my opinion, is accommodate as many of them as we can, even if it's slightly to our detriment to do so. I just think that's kindness and compassion, and there isn't enough of that in this world, and there certainly isn't enough of it coming from this government.

+Quote Post
sealandkopite
post Sep 6 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #74

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (Che Guevara @ Sep 6 2015, 11:08 AM) *

You don't need to repeat, it's about your 5th self imposed political silence. ..

Best news I've heard in a long time Che if he does biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by sealandkopite: Sep 6 2015, 09:57 PM

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 7 2015, 07:20 AM
Post #75

Group Icon

Also, some interesting stats that refute the argument that Syria's neighbours aren't helping.

More than four million Syrian refugees registered in Turkey, Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon and Jordan, with almost half of them in Turkey. I'm not sure where the impression that the refugees are "mostly men" has come from either, looking at the breakdown of demographics.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th February 2018 - 10:04 AM