Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Late Arrivals, Traffic congestion
Hughie Rydens ba...
post Mar 3 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #1

1st team regular

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1218

Due to traffic congestion my son did not arrive untill half time where he met me in the ground on Saturday.Noting that we were 2 down I related the story how back in the late seventies I had arrived myself at half time and taking my place in the Sealand road end I remembered that on that occasion we were 2 down as well.I told him about the sterling fight back as we peppered the sealand road goal with wave after wave of attacks.I could remember a dramatic equaliser from the smallest player on the pitch a fans favourite Ronnie Phillips.He listened with interest to my inane babblings and commented after Roberts equaliser that indeed lightening does strike twice.Do any other Deva chatters have amusing stories of late arrivals?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Boghead
post Mar 3 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #2

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 847

I remember going to Swindon in the FA cup in the early 70's. We got there at half time due to the car driver turning up late. We lost 4-1 (I think) and on the way out of the ground I had my scarf nicked which I had had as a xmas present a month before. Cried my eyes out over that scarf

--------------------
First game April 66 against Bradford P.A.

+Quote Post
Elton Blues
post Mar 3 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #3

Our City, Our Community, Our Club
Group Icon

Member No.: 40

Burnley away back in the 80's I think, CATS coach broke down at Runcorn and we arrived at Burnley very late to be met by a group of lads after a fight. Paid full price to get in, no programmes left, missed the goal and then got chased all over the place after the match by the Burnley Suicide Squad when we tried to get back to the coach. If I remember right, Jimianto, you went on the train with the Helsby Punks laugh.gif

--------------------
I am one of the thousands of fools and proud of it!

+Quote Post
Jimianto
post Mar 3 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #4

Come On City!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1243

QUOTE (Elton Blues @ Mar 3 2009, 03:21 PM) *
Burnley away back in the 80's I think, CATS coach broke down at Runcorn and we arrived at Burnley very late to be met by a group of lads after a fight. Paid full price to get in, no programmes left, missed the goal and then got chased all over the place after the match by the Burnley Suicide Squad when we tried to get back to the coach. If I remember right, Jimianto, you went on the train with the Helsby Punks laugh.gif

Su-su-suicide! Still have the nightmares, but the bed wetting's stopped biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Posh Jon
post Mar 3 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #5

ONLY COOL PEOPLE CAN SEE MY AVATAR

Member No.: 61

I turned up late a few weeks ago and got in for a tenner. That was a right success.

--------------------
Not posh

+Quote Post
Jimianto
post Mar 3 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #6

Come On City!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1243

My experiences have generally been the other way round from yours Hughie -

I remember going to Wigan late and we were 2 up after 10 mins only to draw 2-2, Blackpool late and 2-0 up after 5 mins but won 3-1 and the worst was leaving Cheltenham at 2-0 down, when we scored 2 late goals in the cup a few years back....all that way rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
wobblycoffee
post Mar 3 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #7

1st team sub

Member No.: 602

Cambridge away on boxing day in about 86. Arrived late in very dubious transport. Poor game and a long way home.

--------------------
[i]The walls of this town
Are full of renown,
And strangers delight to walk round 'em,
But as for the dwellers,
Both buyers and sellers,
For me, you may hang 'em or drown 'em"

+Quote Post
Posh Jon
post Mar 3 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #8

ONLY COOL PEOPLE CAN SEE MY AVATAR

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Jimianto @ Mar 3 2009, 04:10 PM) *

I remember going to Wigan late and we were 2 up after 10 mins only to draw 2-2, Blackpool late and 2-0 up after 5 mins but won 3-1 and the worst was leaving Cheltenham at 2-0 down, when we scored 2 late goals in the cup a few years back....all that way rolleyes.gif

Ah mate, that Cheltenham game was a cracking finale. Made all the sweeter by Scott Brown in their goal goading us all match. Seem to remember someone booking a taxi for Brown in the jubilation.

One of the rare times we've scored past Cheltenham though. Usually find it hard to get one past them.

--------------------
Not posh

+Quote Post
Shane (Higgs)
post Mar 3 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #9

Anthony Hollyhead

Member No.: 3713

QUOTE (Posh Jon @ Mar 3 2009, 04:20 PM) *
QUOTE (Jimianto @ Mar 3 2009, 04:10 PM) *

Ah mate, that Cheltenham game was a cracking finale. Made all the sweeter by Scott Brown in their goal goading us all match. Seem to remember someone booking a taxi for Brown in the jubilation.

One of the rare times we've scored past Cheltenham though. Usually find it hard to get one past them.

That's cos they usually had the impeccable Shane Higgs between the sticks!!! biggrin.gif

As for me, I tend to be lucky in arriving on time. Last time I didn't that springs to mind was Daryl's debut at home to Yeovil but even then only missed about 5 mins!

--------------------
XERATH - the greatest band out there, no questions.

http://xerath.net/

+Quote Post
Bluesontop
post Mar 3 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #10

H Block..................
Group Icon

Member No.: 1942

QUOTE (Elton Blues @ Mar 3 2009, 03:21 PM) *

I was there that day. Absolute carnage, one of my best days out following Chester.

--------------------
Chester City FC The pride of the North West

Colin Potts is a tramp.

+Quote Post
barcablue
post Mar 3 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #11

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 3670

QUOTE (wobblycoffee @ Mar 3 2009, 04:19 PM) *
Cambridge away on boxing day in about 86. Arrived late in very dubious transport. Poor game and a long way home.
remember it well,all the way to cambridge and back on a double decker bus !,my future brother inlaw spent most of the journey down with his head in a carrier bag shouting raaaaaaaaaaallf ! crying.gif

--------------------
I'm the all night drug-prowling wolf who looks so sick in the sun i'm the white man in the palais just lookin' for fun.I'm only looking for fun.(Joe Strummer 1977)

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Mar 3 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #12

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (barcablue @ Mar 3 2009, 07:03 PM) *
QUOTE (wobblycoffee @ Mar 3 2009, 04:19 PM) *
remember it well,all the way to cambridge and back on a double decker bus !,my future brother inlaw spent most of the journey down with his head in a carrier bag shouting raaaaaaaaaaallf ! crying.gif

Newcastle away,train got delayed,arrived when we were winning 1-0,only to be pelted with coins on our arrival,Rush got a second,happy journey back!

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Caergwrle Blue
post Mar 3 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #13

1st team legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 1308

Stoke at home? Pre-season friendly?Fooking years ago!!!

Knocked the door at half time,with the ex mrs.5 quid in the stewards pocket did the trick.

Bag of SH*TE so went back to the car.Black MG metro.Didn't start so went to one of those houses down bumpers lane and asked to use phone.

AA called had 60 mins to kill,so in a cracking thunder storm showed her around the industrial estate and did the deed against a fence at the back of a unit.

Happy days.

--------------------
ANDY MILNER I SALUTE YOU

LONG LIVE THE SEALS

Here comes the wise man
And there goes the fool
You see that burnt out world that he is living in
I don't need to look for the rules
Here comes the donkey
Chained to a ten ton plough
He'll never make that hill in a million years
Whip crack beating down

+Quote Post
Greasby Blue
post Mar 3 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #14

Squad player

Member No.: 1201

QUOTE (Boghead @ Mar 3 2009, 02:59 PM) *
I remember going to Swindon in the FA cup in the early 70's. We got there at half time due to the car driver turning up late. We lost 4-1 (I think) and on the way out of the ground I had my scarf nicked which I had had as a xmas present a month before. Cried my eyes out over that scarf

Stealing scarves must be popular past time in Swindon. I had mine nicked at the same game.

--------------------
Greasby Blue

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Mar 4 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Posh Jon @ Mar 3 2009, 04:06 PM) *
I turned up late a few weeks ago and got in for a tenner.

That's happened to me twice this season, now.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2021 - 08:40 AM