> Ian Atkins interview
ChesterChronicle
post Mar 8 2016, 03:40 PM
Post #1

Squad player

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 4463

Afternoon all.

It's a must-win game for the Blues tonight against Aldershot and, as per the norm, we'll be covering all the action via our live blog.

But away from tonight's clash we managed to catch up with ex-Chester City boss Ian Atkins. Ian spoke to us about his time with the Blues, working under T***y S***h, relegation from the Football League and what became of him after he left the club.

Ian Atkins on his time with Chester City

Fingers crossed for the three points tonight!

CC cityscarf.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AGL
post Mar 8 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #2

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2356

QUOTE (ChesterChronicle @ Mar 8 2016, 03:40 PM) *
Afternoon all.

It's a must-win game for the Blues tonight against Aldershot and, as per the norm, we'll be covering all the action via our live blog.

But away from tonight's clash we managed to catch up with ex-Chester City boss Ian Atkins. Ian spoke to us about his time with the Blues, working under T***y S***h, relegation from the Football League and what became of him after he left the club.

CC cityscarf.gif

Fascinating stuff. Recommend this to everyone.
Atkins talks about bringing in players who had "hunger and belief"........
The whole season was a car crash but it remains one of my most memorable. Leyton Orient away that season will never be surpassed.
T***y S***h really was a clown.

+Quote Post
Che Guevara
post Mar 8 2016, 04:51 PM
Post #3

Castra Devana

Member No.: 1198

Great article cityscarf.gif

--------------------
Neil Young: You WERE the caretaker here.

Harry McNally: I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but YOU are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know Sir - I've always been here.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Mar 8 2016, 04:58 PM
Post #4

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

Great article, came so close to staying up but alas it was not to be. That whole atmosphere around the club between the fans getting behind the 'Great Escape' initiative has never been recreated before or since that run-in despite some half-hearted attempts since.

Smith was just a nutcase

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Zvonimir Boban
post Mar 8 2016, 06:20 PM
Post #5

Squad player

Member No.: 5652

Once again a superb piece. Great stuff by The Chronicle. The more the merrier!

I can only echo what's been said above. Weirdly 1999-00 and 2000-01 were two of my favourite seasons watching the blues! THAT win at Orient, Halifax away, Mansfield at home amongst the highlights. They were more than matched by the devastating lows of Orient at home, Carlisle home, Swansea away and those agonising defeats in the last 2 games

+Quote Post
Almost Blue
post Mar 8 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #6

1st team captain

Member No.: 2954

This was a highlight . . . the paddy field at Macc, complete with hilarious streaker . . . hell of a turn out too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwc-98fuuMM

This post has been edited by Almost Blue: Mar 8 2016, 06:32 PM

--------------------
English Corner, Harry Mac Terrace - since 1992.

+Quote Post
Zvonimir Boban
post Mar 8 2016, 06:37 PM
Post #7

Squad player

Member No.: 5652

QUOTE (Almost Blue @ Mar 8 2016, 06:30 PM) *
This was a highlight . . . the paddy field at Macc, complete with hilarious streaker . . . hell of a turn out too!

Amazing. I remember returning to the car that day dripping wet fairly happy with a point but then being devastated to hear Shrewsbury had scored 2 late goals to beat Southend.

+Quote Post
njd1959
post Mar 8 2016, 06:39 PM
Post #8

1st team regular

Member No.: 11812

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Mar 8 2016, 04:58 PM) *
Great article, came so close to staying up but alas it was not to be. That whole atmosphere around the club between the fans getting behind the 'Great Escape' initiative has never been recreated before or since that run-in despite some half-hearted attempts since.

Smith was just a nutcase

I went to every game that season. That season will be etched in my memory forever as the season we lost our football league status and I put it all down to that idiot, To me the worse thing (yes he is a thing) that ever got involved in our club in the 40 plus years of supporting them. Words will never do justice to how I feel about that man and never will.

As for Ian Atkins he nearly pulled off the impossible after all the carnage that proceeded it. Still, even when it was in our own hands on the final two games at Cheltenham and home to the Peterborough we went down with a whimper which summed the whole experience.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Mar 8 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #9

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 203

Great article.

Angus Eve was a good player but his attitude was terrible. I remember as soon as he signed for us, he said words to the effect that now that he was in England he would hopefully be able to join a bigger club soon. I'm not naive enough to think that any Chester play doesn't hope to move on to better things, but I've never heard a player just come out and say it like that. He also didn't seem to realise that it's not the done thing in a relegation battle to jet off to Trinidad and play a friendly against Grenada or someone.

+Quote Post
mused
post Mar 8 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #10

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

QUOTE (AGL @ Mar 8 2016, 04:42 PM) *
Afternoon all.

CC cityscarf.gif

The whole season was a car crash but it remains one of my most memorable. Leyton Orient away that season will never be surpassed.

Agreed about Orient away. The best atmosphere I've ever seen at a chester game.
A great article again by the chron. I'd love to see a manager of Atkins ilk come to the club. The man lived and breathed football. I'm sure he did mention the B word once or twice but he seemed to thrive on the fact we were the under dog.
It's a shame Terry was such a barn pot. Atkins would have won us the conference that following season.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
Southern Blue
post Mar 8 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #11

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2331

Good article that. The worst I have ever felt about football was after that Peterborough match, it was a bereavement.

--------------------
I want to play a game.

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Mar 8 2016, 11:11 PM
Post #12

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

Afternoon all.

CC cityscarf.gif

I seem to remember the match winner was a player called NEIL FISHER! bowdown.gif cityscarf.gif

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Mar 8 2016, 11:54 PM
Post #13

I'm not Irish!

Funnily I mourned the defeat to Carlisle more than our loss to Peterborough. I felt numb after the Peterborough game but I bawled my eyes out after we bottled the Carlisle game

--------------------

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Mar 9 2016, 07:09 AM
Post #14

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

Afternoon all.

CC cityscarf.gif

Try reading Smith's Wikipedia assessment of when he was here.....saved the club, left them in finacial good health bla bla....t****r!!!

+Quote Post
MOC
post Mar 9 2016, 08:16 AM
Post #15

Deva Chat Predict-a-Score champion 2015-16

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Mar 9 2016, 12:54 AM) *
Funnily I mourned the defeat to Carlisle more than our loss to Peterborough. I felt numb after the Peterborough game but I bawled my eyes out after we bottled the Carlisle game

Of all the hundreds of games I've seen Chester play, the most pain I've ever felt afterwards was that Carlisle defeat. Sickening and ultimately so costly.

+Quote Post
AGL
post Mar 10 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #16

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (waggoner @ Mar 9 2016, 07:09 AM) *
Afternoon all.

CC cityscarf.gif

Try reading Smith's Wikipedia assessment of when he was here.....saved the club, left them in finacial good health bla bla....t****r!!!

Ha. Just read that. The man is a total fantasist. Anyone know what he's doing these days? How about the Chron tracking him down for an interview?

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Mar 10 2016, 09:30 PM
Post #17

I'm not Irish!

QUOTE (AGL @ Mar 10 2016, 09:14 PM) *
Afternoon all.

CC cityscarf.gif

Ha. Just read that. The man is a total fantasist. Anyone know what he's doing these days? How about the Chron tracking him down for an interview?

A high school American football coach apparently

--------------------

+Quote Post
AGL
post Mar 10 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #18

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Mar 10 2016, 09:30 PM) *
QUOTE (AGL @ Mar 10 2016, 09:14 PM) *
Afternoon all.

CC cityscarf.gif

A high school American football coach apparently

Three captains?

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Mar 11 2016, 09:10 AM
Post #19

Reserve skipper

It's worth noting that Atkins made sure he stood as far away from Smith as he could in the dugout. Smith still wanted to have his say in things ie; we are moving hemmings bla bla. The tit just would not leave Atkins to get on with things without poking his nose into matters.
Regarding Smith. I must tell you a little story about the Smith and Angus Eve situation in the week of the Peterboro game.
I was on my way into B&Q on the monday before the match and bumped into TS on his way out of the store. We got chatting about the match coming up and if he thinks we will win. ''What's our chances Terry'' i asked... ''i will be very hard without Angus''.... ''Oh! is he injured?''..... ''No with being an international i gave him permission to go and play for his country''
WTF?? no wonder Atkins had no wish to stay here. The most important match in the club's history and the Chairman makes the call for your striker to b****r off playing in a friendly. With this news i just turned around and walked off leaving him to talk to himself, because i really could not trust myself to keep a civil tongue.
Another time myself and a couple of mates, having a spare hour went down to watch the team train in clifton drive. During one of his training games Neil Fisher did a fancy turn and nutmeged Kwik Ejet. TS response was ''wow that's not in the manual''. Sums up what he was about really. Bought a club, knew nothing about 'soccer' so bought a ''manual''' and thought he could manage and run a football league team based on a few words in a penguin book of football.........what a clown!!

+Quote Post
Mustafa Sandal
post Mar 11 2016, 03:31 PM
Post #20

Squad player

Member No.: 5555

Is the reporter that bloke that has now morphed into that Clem bloke, sounds a lot like him but with hair.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Mar 11 2016, 03:34 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

I don't want to come across as a Smith apologist, because he was a nightmare and he treated people very badly, but I often felt that wasn't mentally all there and was the sort of person who should barely be allowed of his house alone, let alone running a football club. He kind of just acted like a child, talked about himself all the time, always wanted his own way and didn't like it when somebody else got praise instead of him.

I seem to remember at the end of his spell, his lawyer father got involved and started threatening the club. He seemed a right bastard, and I wondered whether he was actually the problem all along. Terry was maybe just what you end up with when wealthy parents spoil their kids rotten, never say no to them and never let them grow up.

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Mar 11 2016, 04:24 PM
Post #22

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Mar 8 2016, 11:11 PM) *
Afternoon all.

CC cityscarf.gif

Fascinating stuff. Recommend this to everyone.q

I seem to remember the match winner was a player called NEIL FISHER! bowdown.gif cityscarf.gif

The same Neil Fisher (along with Paul Carden) who was responsible for the Carlisle goal that practically sealed our fate.

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Mar 11 2016, 06:11 PM
Post #23

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (Billy W @ Mar 11 2016, 04:24 PM) *
QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Mar 8 2016, 11:11 PM) *
Afternoon all.

CC cityscarf.gif

Fascinating stuff. Recommend this to everyone.q

The same Neil Fisher (along with Paul Carden) who was responsible for the Carlisle goal that practically sealed our fate.

TBH it was our performaces during the whole season that sealed our fate.

+Quote Post
njd1959
post Mar 11 2016, 06:13 PM
Post #24

1st team regular

Member No.: 11812

QUOTE (XWWB @ Mar 11 2016, 03:34 PM) *
I don't want to come across as a Smith apologist, because he was a nightmare and he treated people very badly, but I often felt that wasn't mentally all there and was the sort of person who should barely be allowed of his house alone, let alone running a football club. He kind of just acted like a child, talked about himself all the time, always wanted his own way and didn't like it when somebody else got praise instead of him.

I seem to remember at the end of his spell, his lawyer father got involved and started threatening the club. He seemed a right bastard, and I wondered whether he was actually the problem all along. Terry was maybe just what you end up with when wealthy parents spoil their kids rotten, never say no to them and never let them grow up.

He was a fruitcake and I was amazed how many people stuck up for him at the start of the 2001/02 season when he put that muppet Gordon Hill in charge and carried on watching the team in their hundreds before b****ring off back to the States.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Mar 11 2016, 06:58 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (njd1959 @ Mar 11 2016, 06:13 PM) *
QUOTE (XWWB @ Mar 11 2016, 03:34 PM) *

He was a fruitcake and I was amazed how many people stuck up for him at the start of the 2001/02 season when he put that muppet Gordon Hill in charge and carried on watching the team in their hundreds before b****ring off back to the States.

I do think as fans we've got a history of being a bit slow to cotton on to chairmen being bad eggs.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2018 - 12:48 AM