Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The old shops of Chester that are no longer there, How many can you remember?
CHESTER68
post Oct 15 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #51

CHESTER68

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 156

CHAVERTONS..3 PINTS OF MOONRAKER PLEASE--I NEED THE FREE T-SHIRT COS THE FIRST 2 MADE ME HURL DOWN MINE.. angry.gif guiness.gif

--------------------
The older I get the less tolerant I get.
FTG
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Oct 15 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #52

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 11

Remember the green nasties? Moonraker and creme de menthe?

Used to have 3 pints of that and try to walk the wall outside. Fuggin stoopid.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Bluesontop
post Oct 15 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #53

H Block..................
Group Icon

Member No.: 1942

QUOTE (NWAS @ Oct 15 2008, 11:06 PM) *
Remember the green nasties? Moonraker and creme de menthe?

Used to have 3 pints of that and try to walk the wall outside. Fuggin stoopid.

The Plumbers Arms used to be the best pub in town. Now that was real 24 hr drinking before the concept of legalising it had ever been thought of. Happy days. bowdown.gif

Saying that barlows was a cracking little boozer aswell.

--------------------
Chester City FC The pride of the North West

Colin Potts is a tramp.

+Quote Post
The Beautiful Ga...
post Oct 16 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #54

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1026

QUOTE (NWAS @ Oct 15 2008, 10:12 PM) *
QUOTE (CHESTER68 @ Oct 15 2008, 10:08 PM) *
QUOTE (NWAS @ Oct 15 2008, 10:05 PM) *
QUOTE (CHESTER68 @ Oct 15 2008, 10:01 PM) *
Does thrifty shoppers in brook st count?..........Is the disabled fella still running the joke shop in the last place on the left in lower bridge st before you get to the river..Tudor house(Punk gear and Petunia oil) Opposite hedleys fishing tackle in Bridge street which was between Something Different and the old kings head..Bear and Billet..Got glassed outside Whats cooking by some smackheads from The Saddle 14 stitches in the infermary and born the city hospital..Oh and Sports bar then if you behaved there you got into cinderellas if not Blimpers or Munroes/Whispers above the witches..Remember Caverns before it went Into a Ahem gay-bar???

Knew Vince very well. So did you of course, through John!

Talking of the gay bar, remember when it was the Cestrian, and it used to have the peelers on on a Sunday dinner?

Never new that was the Cestrian..Always thought it was round City rd..Poss b4 it was the Scooner---Vince bowdown.gif

John still goes to OT with my old man and brother.

The Cestrian was opposite Sports. It's Bar 6 T 9 now. Never heard of the Scooner, but you are older than me so... Sunday dinner boobs. We used to go for that, then the afternoon lock in in the Waterloo (RIP) when Spenner had it.

Was that definitely the Cestrian mate? seem to remember it being called something else prior to what it is now. Vauguely remember the Jolly Miller on City Road also.

--------------------
"'The past was yours but the future's mine'

+Quote Post
Banksy
post Oct 16 2008, 10:18 AM
Post #55

Banksy's Profile

Member No.: 1169

QUOTE (Caergwrle Blue @ Oct 15 2008, 02:52 PM) *
QUOTE (Banksy @ Oct 15 2008, 12:30 PM) *
Here's a few for the collection:

The old Woolworths just by the Eastgate Clock, remember the upstairs restaurant?

Penny Lane Records across the road from the old ABC Cinema - still remember those queues for the pics going all the way down the road to the ring road!

Diners Den anyone? Was there one called The Witches Kitchen?

Trickys Barbers in Frodsham Street - The sole survivor from there, Paul, works in The Cutting Shop in Vicars Cross now.

Remember the old Army & Navy Store in what was pretty much a square block of a shop, right next to the car park by Yates.

Pauls the owner is he not?From Pennyfford?

Used to be called The Cutting Room on the rows along from The Boot i think?Who was the tall lad that worked in there,was it Rob?Gareth was the small lad and mad as a frog.Paul,i'm sure was the owner and now the owner of The Cutting shop in Vicars Cross.

My folks met in Burrells where they both worked.The old fella was also the store manager at Cantors(turn your house into a home!),then opposite that the old Co-Op,for a while.

Just to clear this one up, there are 2 Paul's in there - 1 is the owner yep, but the other is from the old Trickys shop.

--------------------
Follow my Twitter @Banks247 / Facebook JB

One Voice, One Passion

I am a Chester fan...I am a Cestrian

CHESTER FC - EVO-STIK FIRST DIVISION NORTH CHAMPIONS 2010/11, EVO-STIK PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2011/12, BLUE SQUARE NORTH CHAMPIONS 2012/13

Our Community, Our City, Our Club.

Jeff Banks - Media Volunteer

+Quote Post
city1st
post Oct 16 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #56

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 53

Clobber on the town hall years before Stolen from Ivor,great for jeans!!

+Quote Post
Wrexham Blue
post Oct 16 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #57

Behind Enemy Lines
Group Icon

Member No.: 102

McFisheries on Eastgate St,Think there was another on Foregate St right by the Clock, before Stead & Simpsons shoe shop was there (faded memory) anyone remember a place called Whites Eat In there was a big stink about the name as it was deamed as Racist at the time.

+Quote Post
angel of the nor...
post Oct 16 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #58

DCs most adored poster :)

Member No.: 800

Long gone but an Icon for the fashion in its day was Izzy crown now boots on the town hall sq.
Also the Jade on watergate st ( may be its still there) ages since I have been down there.

--------------------
CFC ,,, BEST IN THE BUSINESS

"So you fancy a trip to Europe do you Dominic?

I heard u got a bit of money 4 me nev?
Come on hand it over to your Uncle Chop Chop, I'm just a bloody normal bloke. A normal bloke who likes a bit of torture

This is what its like to be wxm , this is what its like to be small , this is what its like when your team wins nothing at all . . . nothing at all . . . . . . . . . . . .

don't look at me, don't you f**king look at me

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Oct 16 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #59

The Reaper
Group Icon

Member No.: 79

QUOTE (CHESTER68 @ Oct 15 2008, 10:54 PM) *
CHAVERTONS..3 PINTS OF MOONRAKER PLEASE--I NEED THE FREE T-SHIRT COS THE FIRST 2 MADE ME HURL DOWN MINE.. angry.gif guiness.gif

Far better when it was The Talbot. Stagger out of there for a smoke or 2 down the Bear and Billet glare.gif

--------------------
"Entertainments may be taxed; public houses may be taxed… and the yield devoted to the general revenue. But motorists are to be privileged for all time to have the tax on motors devoted to roads? This is an outrage upon… common sense." Winston Churchill

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Oct 16 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #60

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

QUOTE (The Beautiful Game @ Oct 16 2008, 11:06 AM) *
Does thrifty shoppers in brook st count?..........Is the disabled fella still running the joke shop in the last place on the left in lower bridge st before you get to the river..Tudor house(Punk gear and Petunia oil) Opposite hedleys fishing tackle in Bridge street which was between Something Different and the old kings head..Bear and Billet..Got glassed outside Whats cooking by some smackheads from The Saddle 14 stitches in the infermary and born the city hospital..Oh and Sports bar then if you behaved there you got into cinderellas if not Blimpers or Munroes/Whispers above the witches..Remember Caverns before it went Into a Ahem gay-bar???

Talking of the gay bar, remember when it was the Cestrian, and it used to have the peelers on on a Sunday dinner?

Never new that was the Cestrian..Always thought it was round City rd..Poss b4 it was the Scooner---Vince bowdown.gif

The Cestrian was opposite Sports. It's Bar 6 T 9 now. Never heard of the Scooner, but you are older than me so... Sunday dinner boobs. We used to go for that, then the afternoon lock in in the Waterloo (RIP) when Spenner had it.

Was that definitely the Cestrian mate? seem to remember it being called something else prior to what it is now. Vauguely remember the Jolly Miller on City Road also.

Maybe the City Tavern? The Cestrian was on City Road by the Gate of India (still there as a numpty bar I think)

--------------------

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Oct 16 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #61

The Reaper
Group Icon

QUOTE (NWAS @ Oct 16 2008, 06:53 PM) *

Maybe the City Tavern? The Cestrian was on City Road by the Gate of India (still there as a numpty bar I think)

Yeah the Cestrian was on City Rd and the Jolly Miller was just down some steps by the canal off City Rd.

--------------------
"Entertainments may be taxed; public houses may be taxed… and the yield devoted to the general revenue. But motorists are to be privileged for all time to have the tax on motors devoted to roads? This is an outrage upon… common sense." Winston Churchill

+Quote Post
The Beautiful Ga...
post Oct 17 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #62

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (NWAS @ Oct 16 2008, 06:53 PM) *

Thats the one, the City Tavern, been wracking my brains that, Was next door to the Aloha Chippy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel of the nor...
post Oct 17 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #63

Green shield stamp center

--------------------

Come on hand it over to your Uncle Chop Chop, I'm just a bloody normal bloke. A normal bloke who likes a bit of torture

This is what its like to be wxm , this is what its like to be small , this is what its like when your team wins nothing at all . . . nothing at all . . . . . . . . . . . .

+Quote Post
The Beautiful Ga...
post Oct 17 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #64

1st team stalwart

The American Pie takeaway in Boughton also the King Rooster

--------------------

+Quote Post
casualobserver
post Oct 17 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #65

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 598

the PRIVATE shop in boughton bowdown.gif

all too many decent boozers have been shut over the years in chester, hence hardly ever venture there any more for a night out...

--------------------
CHESTER CITY FOOTBALL CLUB - RIP MY DEAR FRIEND, GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN

The new H-Block (Cheshires No. 1)

English Rose

+Quote Post
The Beautiful Ga...
post Oct 17 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #66

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (casualobserver @ Oct 17 2008, 04:51 PM) *
the PRIVATE shop in boughton bowdown.gif

all too many decent boozers have been shut over the years in chester, hence hardly ever venture there any more for a night out...

yes you could do a cracking pub crawl, still a few of the old ones about but sadly the old boozer image is one Chester doesn't seem to want anymore which is a very sad state of affairs. Luckily darts on a Tuesday means we can take in some of the old traditional Chester boozers.

Some of these wine bar type places that crop up do my head in, at the end of the day not everyone can afford to kit themselves out like Gordon Gekko and pay £4 for a bottle of beer, prententious pr*cks

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Oct 17 2008, 07:01 PM
Post #67

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Hope you calm down ahead of the all important trip to the United Services Club on Tuesday TBG. I am Captain, new rule. No drinking, no playing. F**K the rota.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Oct 17 2008, 07:09 PM
Post #68

The Reaper
Group Icon

Great American Diaster - burger place down Bridge Street.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel of the nor...
post Oct 17 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #69

wouldnt eat a burger if I was given it for free now but my mam used to take me there for me birthdays when it first opened.
massive burgers and Ice Creams sundaes to die for.
Also there was a place over the rd called somat like davilles ice cream parlour well before all that Haagen dazs and ben & Jerry bollox.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Oct 17 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #70

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (angel of the north @ Oct 17 2008, 09:28 PM) *
wouldnt eat a burger if I was given it for free now but my mam used to take me there for me birthdays when it first opened.
massive burgers and Ice Creams sundaes to die for.
Also there was a place over the rd called somat like davilles ice cream parlour well before all that Haagen dazs and ben & Jerry bollox.

Do you remember Woolworths when it was were "Next" is now? first shop in Chester that used to sell Albums of current Chart hits,but not sung by the original artists,they used to sell well,because they were cheap! On the "Embassy" label i think.
Believe it or not Elton John sang on them when he first started.
Those Albums are collecters items now!

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
3mm
post Oct 18 2008, 08:00 AM
Post #71

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (AndyHa @ Oct 16 2008, 06:44 PM) *

Far better when it was The Talbot. Stagger out of there for a smoke or 2 down the Bear and Billet glare.gif

The Talbot... the Great American Disaster ... you must be as old as I am! smile.gif

Used to drink in the Talbot all the time. Best era for me was when Sian Adey Jones used to go in there. She was amazing, could have looked good in a bin bag, and I had the good fortune to go out with one of her mates who was from Bodelwyddan. Used to go up to Stables quite a bit.

Years before that, I remember a little sweet shop near the cross where I used to spend all my pennies on the way home from school. Was next door to Waltons and faced up Northgate St. You had to go down a few steps to get into it. Can't remember what it was called though ... anyone?

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
WAussie Blue
post Oct 18 2008, 08:34 AM
Post #72

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (3mm @ Oct 18 2008, 08:00 AM) *
QUOTE (AndyHa @ Oct 16 2008, 06:44 PM) *
CHAVERTONS..3 PINTS OF MOONRAKER PLEASE--I NEED THE FREE T-SHIRT COS THE FIRST 2 MADE ME HURL DOWN MINE.. guiness.gif
The Talbot... the Great American Disaster ... you must be as old as I am!

Used to drink in the Talbot all the time. Best era for me was when Sian Adey Jones used to go in there. She was amazing, could have looked good in a bin bag, and I had the good fortune to go out with one of her mates who was from Bodelwyddan. Used to go up to Stables quite a bit.

I only went to the Great American Disaster once. The food was OK but we were put off by the fact that they added VAT and a service charge on top of the menu prices. angry.gif

As for Sian Adey-Jones .... wub.gif . Where I am working in Western Australia you can still buy postcards, stubbie holders etc displaying her assets in all their glory wink.gif declaring her as a WA beach babe (Thankfully they are 30 year old photos as she must be well into her 50s now)! I'd scan and upload a postcard, but I fear that it would be censored, unless a certain mod could see his way clear to allowing it. Pretty pleeeease, for historical/nostalgic purposes you understand!

--------------------
31st August 2013 - "We came, we scored, we conquered!"

+Quote Post
3mm
post Oct 18 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #73

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

No problem AB smile.gif

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Bluesontop
post Oct 18 2008, 08:41 AM
Post #74

H Block..................
Group Icon

Member No.: 1942

QUOTE (3mm @ Oct 18 2008, 09:38 AM) *
No problem AB smile.gif

wub.gif Could do with dying her hair ginger though, aswell as the old landing strip.

--------------------
Chester City FC The pride of the North West

Colin Potts is a tramp.

+Quote Post
WAussie Blue
post Oct 18 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #75

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Oct 17 2008, 09:40 PM) *
Do you remember Woolworths when it was were "Next" is now? first shop in Chester that used to sell Albums of current Chart hits,but not sung by the original artists,they used to sell well,because they were cheap! On the "Embassy" label i think.
Believe it or not Elton John sang on them when he first started.
Those Albums are collecters items now!

Were they the ones call 'Top of the Pops'? They used to bring them out every few weeks and they had a dolly bird of the cover (nothing as classy as Sian Adey-Jones though). I'm sure that we have a few in our loft. They were awful, so yes, I can believe that Elton John sang on them! biggrin.gif

We used to spend a lot of time in Woolworths because they had the best range of Airfix kits which were very popular with lads back then. I wonder how many kids make Airfix kits these days?

--------------------
31st August 2013 - "We came, we scored, we conquered!"

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2018 - 11:57 PM