Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The old shops of Chester that are no longer there, How many can you remember?
Alberta Blue
post Oct 14 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #26

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1819

Also Toy and hobby in northgate st and the indie clothes/record shop where thr roman experience is now situated off upper bridge st. Cant remember its name though.[/quote]
cafe society
[/quote]

That was it indeed , thank you

--------------------
A BRAVE NEW DAWN.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bluesontop
post Oct 14 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #27

H Block..................
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 1942

[
That was it indeed , thank you
[/quote]

Fair do's that avatar makes me smile, what a brilliant day out that was. bowdown.gif

--------------------
Chester City FC The pride of the North West

Colin Potts is a tramp.

+Quote Post
WAussie Blue
post Oct 15 2008, 04:55 AM
Post #28

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Oct 14 2008, 09:27 PM) *
QUOTE (angel of the north @ Oct 14 2008, 10:13 PM) *
Dave house had a record shop at the back of chester market but I cant remember the name of it.
The Tabacco shop on Eastgate st my favorite shop in chester ever it was like stepping back in time going in there as a kid.

I know David well,he's working in the hospital in Ellesmere Port i think,it's a while since i've seen him.
Remember him once collecting EVERY single record that had been a Top Thirty hit in the 60's!
He was trying to collect all the Eurovision hits last time i saw him,'cos i have got one here for him. biggrin.gif

Was that the David who had a a record shop at Tudor House in Bridge Street about 10 years ago? I used to spend hours in there.

--------------------
31st August 2013 - "We came, we scored, we conquered!"

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Oct 15 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #29

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

I used to get my records in the 80's from the Vinyl Grooveyard in the market,anyone know if its still there,years since i have been in the market.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
angel of the nor...
post Oct 15 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #30

DCs most adored poster :)

Member No.: 800

QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Oct 15 2008, 12:04 PM) *
I used to get my records in the 80's from the Vinyl Grooveyard in the market,anyone know if its still there,years since i have been in the market.

No it shut down now it was Dave house who had it for yrs but as NFBF has said he works up the cottage hospital in the Port now.

--------------------
CFC ,,, BEST IN THE BUSINESS

"So you fancy a trip to Europe do you Dominic?

I heard u got a bit of money 4 me nev?
Come on hand it over to your Uncle Chop Chop, I'm just a bloody normal bloke. A normal bloke who likes a bit of torture

This is what its like to be wxm , this is what its like to be small , this is what its like when your team wins nothing at all . . . nothing at all . . . . . . . . . . . .

don't look at me, don't you f**king look at me

+Quote Post
Banksy
post Oct 15 2008, 11:30 AM
Post #31

Banksy's Profile

Member No.: 1169

Here's a few for the collection:

The old Woolworths just by the Eastgate Clock, remember the upstairs restaurant?

Penny Lane Records across the road from the old ABC Cinema - still remember those queues for the pics going all the way down the road to the ring road!

Diners Den anyone? Was there one called The Witches Kitchen?

Trickys Barbers in Frodsham Street - The sole survivor from there, Paul, works in The Cutting Shop in Vicars Cross now.

Remember the old Army & Navy Store in what was pretty much a square block of a shop, right next to the car park by Yates.

--------------------
Follow my Twitter @Banks247 / Facebook JB

One Voice, One Passion

I am a Chester fan...I am a Cestrian

CHESTER FC - EVO-STIK FIRST DIVISION NORTH CHAMPIONS 2010/11, EVO-STIK PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2011/12, BLUE SQUARE NORTH CHAMPIONS 2012/13

Our Community, Our City, Our Club.

Jeff Banks - Media Volunteer

+Quote Post
Alberta Blue
post Oct 15 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #32

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1819

Dukes wine bar above WH Smith's was where i had my first illegal pint in town. I remember standing on the brass runner to look taller.

--------------------
A BRAVE NEW DAWN.

+Quote Post
angel of the nor...
post Oct 15 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #33

the butchers that used to be under the Vic pub and on Bridge st Claude Crimes which got bought out.
also I used to love that old bakery come cake shop on the corner of watergate st and bridge st up in the row
that was virtually in front of you if you go up the spiral stairs case.

This post has been edited by angel of the north: Oct 15 2008, 12:20 PM

--------------------

Come on hand it over to your Uncle Chop Chop, I'm just a bloody normal bloke. A normal bloke who likes a bit of torture

This is what its like to be wxm , this is what its like to be small , this is what its like when your team wins nothing at all . . . nothing at all . . . . . . . . . . . .

+Quote Post
city1st
post Oct 15 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #34

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 53

Anyone remember Harry Fenton mens fashion shop in the late 70,s in the grosvenor precinct

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Oct 15 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #35

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (city1st @ Oct 15 2008, 01:24 PM) *
Anyone remember Harry Fenton mens fashion shop in the late 70,s in the grosvenor precinct

Certainly do,i knew someone who worked there! Next door to Swears and Wells,(Fur and Leather shop.)

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
angel of the nor...
post Oct 15 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #36

fosters on Northgate st

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caergwrle Blue
post Oct 15 2008, 01:52 PM
Post #37

1st team legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 1308

QUOTE (Banksy @ Oct 15 2008, 12:30 PM) *
Here's a few for the collection:

The old Woolworths just by the Eastgate Clock, remember the upstairs restaurant?

Penny Lane Records across the road from the old ABC Cinema - still remember those queues for the pics going all the way down the road to the ring road!

Diners Den anyone? Was there one called The Witches Kitchen?

Trickys Barbers in Frodsham Street - The sole survivor from there, Paul, works in The Cutting Shop in Vicars Cross now.

Remember the old Army & Navy Store in what was pretty much a square block of a shop, right next to the car park by Yates.

Pauls the owner is he not?From Pennyfford?

Used to be called The Cutting Room on the rows along from The Boot i think?Who was the tall lad that worked in there,was it Rob?Gareth was the small lad and mad as a frog.Paul,i'm sure was the owner and now the owner of The Cutting shop in Vicars Cross.

My folks met in Burrells where they both worked.The old fella was also the store manager at Cantors(turn your house into a home!),then opposite that the old Co-Op,for a while.

--------------------
ANDY MILNER I SALUTE YOU

LONG LIVE THE SEALS

Here comes the wise man
And there goes the fool
You see that burnt out world that he is living in
I don't need to look for the rules
Here comes the donkey
Chained to a ten ton plough
He'll never make that hill in a million years
Whip crack beating down

+Quote Post
angel of the nor...
post Oct 15 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #38

Rob / beany aint seen him in yrs then seen him in town last week and he aint changed abit from the Quids inn days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Oct 15 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #39

The Reaper
Group Icon

Member No.: 79

Bradleys mens shop by the Eastgate which was bought by Fosters. They used to have a warehouse on Queens Rd and I worked there in my summer hols from school cira 1969 crying.gif

--------------------
"Entertainments may be taxed; public houses may be taxed… and the yield devoted to the general revenue. But motorists are to be privileged for all time to have the tax on motors devoted to roads? This is an outrage upon… common sense." Winston Churchill

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Oct 15 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #40

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

Already mentioned, Penny Lane and Trickers. Vinyl Grooveyard and I also remember buying my first vinyl lp, Queens Greatest Hits, from the record shop in Millets too!

Cousin's bakery/cafe on the town hall. My Nan used to work there.

Inside Story where Woolies used to be. Did a lot of courting in there as a teenager biggrin.gif

Is Moss Bros still open? Used to get the YSL shirts from there late 80's/early 90's, and Pringle jumpers from Caran D'Ache in Frodsham Street. Sort of an upmarket Stolen from Ivor. Used to get used 501's and band posters from Tudor House too.

Used to love to go to the Owen Owen delicatessen in Bridge Street, and smell the coffee beans. The smell of coffee beans still reminds me of that shop, and Christmas shopping with my Mum bowdown.gif

See also, the Kwik Save on Sealand Road. Thursday night big shop, 30p in 10's for the Asteroids and Galaxian machines while my Mum went round the supermarket. Putting your food in boxes cos they used to charge for carrier bags. And getting the "Kwikky Bus" home after. Also used to use the Kwikky Bus to go to the match on a Saturday, but had to buy something to show your reciept for getting on the bus home!

Also the video shop on Egerton Bridge in Blacon (Ted Leatherbarrows, used to have Track and Field machine in there!); Hairways Barbers in Blacon (we miss you Frank!), the Kowloon Chinese on the camp and the outdoors at both the Highfield, and the Waggon.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
martyn blue
post Oct 15 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #41

Archie 2008-2009

Member No.: 3874

Stolen from Ivor??? I seem remember that being a shop when i was just a young pup.

--------------------
Deva Chat - Whats The Next Excuse Not To Go The Match??

1000 Loyal Chester Fans - Through Thick and Thin!

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Oct 15 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #42

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (martyn blue @ Oct 15 2008, 09:26 PM) *
Stolen from Ivor??? I seem remember that being a shop when i was just a young pup.

Burtons the Tailors,and Jacksons the Tailors.
Can anybody remember the back entrance to Browns of Chester,(Welcomed in by a gentleman in uniform) before the precinct was built,the little street went past the Grosvenor car park,past the Assembly Hall into Newgate st?
Does anybody remember Joe Broster? Who was comissionare for St Michaels Row.Anybody remember Syd Bath who used to sell newspapers outside Bollands?
Anybody remember the toilets under the road at the junction of Bridge St and Lower Bridge st?

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Oct 15 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #43

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

QUOTE (martyn blue @ Oct 15 2008, 09:26 PM) *

It was on the Town Hall square mate. Where Vision Express is now.

Full of NafNaf and Sonnetti sweatshirts and Ball jeans.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CHESTER68
post Oct 15 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #44

CHESTER68

Member No.: 156

Does thrifty shoppers in brook st count?..........Is the disabled fella still running the joke shop in the last place on the left in lower bridge st before you get to the river..Tudor house(Punk gear and Petunia oil) Opposite hedleys fishing tackle in Bridge street which was between Something Different and the old kings head..Bear and Billet..Got glassed outside Whats cooking by some smackheads from The Saddle 14 stitches in the infermary and born the city hospital..Oh and Sports bar then if you behaved there you got into cinderellas if not Blimpers or Munroes/Whispers above the witches..Remember Caverns before it went Into a Ahem gay-bar???

--------------------
The older I get the less tolerant I get.
FTG

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Oct 15 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #45

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

QUOTE (CHESTER68 @ Oct 15 2008, 10:01 PM) *
Does thrifty shoppers in brook st count?..........Is the disabled fella still running the joke shop in the last place on the left in lower bridge st before you get to the river..Tudor house(Punk gear and Petunia oil) Opposite hedleys fishing tackle in Bridge street which was between Something Different and the old kings head..Bear and Billet..Got glassed outside Whats cooking by some smackheads from The Saddle 14 stitches in the infermary and born the city hospital..Oh and Sports bar then if you behaved there you got into cinderellas if not Blimpers or Munroes/Whispers above the witches..Remember Caverns before it went Into a Ahem gay-bar???

Knew Vince very well. So did you of course, through John!

Talking of the gay bar, remember when it was the Cestrian, and it used to have the peelers on on a Sunday dinner?

--------------------

+Quote Post
CHESTER68
post Oct 15 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #46

CHESTER68

Member No.: 156

QUOTE (NWAS @ Oct 15 2008, 10:05 PM) *

Talking of the gay bar, remember when it was the Cestrian, and it used to have the peelers on on a Sunday dinner?

Never new that was the Cestrian..Always thought it was round City rd..Poss b4 it was the Scooner---Vince bowdown.gif

--------------------
The older I get the less tolerant I get.
FTG

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Oct 15 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #47

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

QUOTE (CHESTER68 @ Oct 15 2008, 10:08 PM) *
QUOTE (NWAS @ Oct 15 2008, 10:05 PM) *

Never new that was the Cestrian..Always thought it was round City rd..Poss b4 it was the Scooner---Vince bowdown.gif

John still goes to OT with my old man and brother.

The Cestrian was opposite Sports. It's Bar 6 T 9 now. Never heard of the Scooner, but you are older than me so... Sunday dinner boobs. We used to go for that, then the afternoon lock in in the Waterloo (RIP) when Spenner had it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bluesontop
post Oct 15 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #48

Group Icon

I used to work in Caverns behind the bar, then got the push when it turned in to Connections the gay club. Gay Ray was the owner and his bum chum was called Nikki, they ended up with Clavvertons in Lower Bridge St.

--------------------

Colin Potts is a tramp.

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Oct 15 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #49

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

I know Ray Graves through his brothers, Ronnie and Dessie. Old Blacon family the Graves, out of Brentwood Road. Ronnie used to have the Ship in Handbridge with his wife Robbie, and it was brilliant. Never shut, top ale, proper oche etc its a crying shame seeing it closed. Had a top night out in Connections once with the Mrs as guests of Ray. Top night, no mither. Gutted I never got chatted up biggrin.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bluesontop
post Oct 15 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #50

Group Icon

QUOTE (NWAS @ Oct 15 2008, 10:29 PM) *
I know Ray Graves through his brothers, Ronnie and Dessie. Old Blacon family the Graves, out of Brentwood Road. Ronnie used to have the Ship in Handbridge with his wife Robbie, and it was brilliant. Never shut, top ale, proper oche etc its a crying shame seeing it closed. Had a top night out in Connections once with the Mrs as guests of Ray. Top night, no mither. Gutted I never got chatted up biggrin.gif .

Ray is a top bloke to be fair.

--------------------

Colin Potts is a tramp.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 12:10 AM