> My two cents, by NWAS Brockman...
NWAS
post Aug 23 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 11

It's with a heavy heart that you read of the days when Chester FC got gates of 8000 etc, and how we'd get 19000 for derbys (see below). Although we'd struggle now, with a capacity of 6000! It's an old story, but years of neglect in the '80's, followed by Macc, then Guterman and Coco are to blame. The last 25 years have ripped the heart and soul out of the Club.

The rebuilding process should have begun with the return to the City, it never. Being honest, we are still waiting for it to begin, although a Championship season was a bloody good start. Another good season or two, some much needed off the pitch stability, and a strong identity in the City would I believe see gates increase beyond 3500 and maybe up to 4000.

But we need the Club to really start building it's local profile, through a strong presence in schools, to continuing the good work of Mark Newman and the Centre of Excellence; through a partnership of development with the local council(s) and authority(s); to free for kids, cheap season tickets etc. Getting local kids through the CofE into the first team will also stimulate local interest. Queensferry Sports is a really good example of involving community businesses, look at the benefits they bring the Club and the fans.

Come on Blues. It's up to the board to instigate the initiatives that will bring this about. Look up the representatives of the supporters groups, Trust etc., and form a working party to make this happen. It could really make the difference between beginning to thrive, or struggle to survive.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RPFC
post Aug 23 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #2

Roger Preece Fan Club

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 93

Couldn't agree more.

--------------------
Feared by the reds
Loved by the Blues
Roger Preece, Roger Preece, Roger Preece

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Aug 23 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #3

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

Excellent post

+Quote Post
Bear in the Big ...
post Aug 23 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #4

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (NWAS @ Aug 23 2005, 01:05 PM)
It's with a heavy heart that you read of the days when Chester FC got gates of 8000 etc, and how we'd get 19000 for derbys (see below). Although we'd struggle now, with a capacity of 6000! It's an old story, but years of neglect in the '80's, followed by Macc, then Guterman and Coco are to blame. The last 25 years have ripped the heart and soul out of the Club.

The rebuilding process should have begun with the return to the City, it never. Being honest, we are still waiting for it to begin, although a Championship season was a bloody good start. Another good season or two, some much needed off the pitch stability, and a strong identity in the City would I believe see gates increase beyond 3500 and maybe up to 4000.

But we need the Club to really start building it's local profile, through a strong presence in schools, to continuing the good work of Mark Newman and the Centre of Excellence; through a partnership of development with the local council(s) and authority(s); to free for kids, cheap season tickets etc. Getting local kids through the CofE into the first team will also stimulate local interest. Queensferry Sports is a really good example of involving community businesses, look at the benefits they bring the Club and the fans.

Come on Blues. It's up to the board to instigate the initiatives that will bring this about. Look up the representatives of the supporters groups, Trust etc., and form a working party to make this happen. It could really make the difference between beginning to thrive, or struggle to survive.

As usual a first class post from the heart.

As you know my business sponsors CCFC. I have tried to start a trend that will hopefully see other local businesses take our lead and look at Chester City as a community club, who is supported by local people (slips into Royston Vassey mode).

Already we have tried to stimulate Junior season ticket sales by offering a free replica shirt to anyone buying a junior season ticket.

As part of our Sponsorship package we receive four executive season tickets but rather than give them to the same people every week, we have instigated an offer to our customers for them to bring their kids to the match in the hope that they will get hooked,much in the way I did when my old man took me.

The future of our club will only be secured by getting the next generation to support The Blues from the cradle to the grave. If I get get one of my customers to start supporting us and taking his kids on a regular basis because of our sponsorship then I will be happy.

For me its not about how much UK Sameday make on the back of our Sponsorship with the club it's about us being a Community business, getting our brand awareness to the Community and more importantly trying to get bums away from PS2 and gameboys and down to the Deva for a virtual ride with a difference.

--------------------
Proud to be one spot of rain in a "shower of fools"

+Quote Post
Bambi_CCFC
post Aug 23 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #5

The MIGHTY MIGHTY Chester....

Member No.: 1490

QUOTE (Bear in the Big Blue House @ Aug 23 2005, 01:39 PM)

As you know my business sponsors CCFC. I have tried to start a trend that will hopefully see other local businesses take our lead and look at Chester City as a community club, who is supported by local people (slips into Royston Vassey mode).

Already we have tried to stimulate Junior season ticket sales by offering a free replica shirt  to anyone buying a junior season ticket.

As part of our Sponsorship package we receive four executive season tickets but rather than give them to the same people every week, we have instigated an offer to our customers for them to bring their kids to the match in the hope that they will get hooked,much in the way I did when my old man took me.

The future of our club will only be secured by getting the next generation to support The Blues from the cradle to the grave. If I get get one of my customers to start supporting us and taking his kids on a regular basis because of our sponsorship then I will be happy.

For me its not about how much UK Sameday make on the back of our Sponsorship with the club it's about us being a Community business, getting our brand awareness to the Community and more importantly trying to get bums away from PS2 and gameboys and down to the Deva for a virtual ride with a difference.

Nice one Bear, if we can all follow your lead then the future of the club will be secured. Obviously we're not all a position to do what you have done but as simple as bringing an extra person to the game each week will make a big difference if the majority of us do it.

--------------------
Northern Premier League Division One North Champions 2010/11

Northern Premier League Premier Division Champions 2011/12

Conference North Champions 2012/13

Supporters Direct Cup: Winners 2011
Peter Swailes Shield: Winners 2012
Cheshire Senior Cup: Winners 2013

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Aug 23 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #6

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bear in the Big Blue House @ Aug 23 2005, 01:39 PM)

Already we have tried to stimulate Junior season ticket sales by offering a free replica shirt  to anyone buying a junior season ticket.

I took the liberty of highlighting some of the more pertinent parts mate if you dont mind. Yours (UK Sameday) is a perfect example of how you are putting back into the Club something that you have taken out over the years. Community businesses supporting community Clubs is a superb model for growth. The trick is for the Club to find more businesses with a passion such as yours.

Putting so much back in though is admirable! As much as City are, lets be honest, low in the footballing food chain, the personal and collective enjoyment taken from for example, the comeback against Lincoln, is unmatched.

My uncle first took me twenty *cough* years ago, and it got me. I started going with my mates aged 10, and still sit with some of the same 23 years later. Tonight I am going to Wolves, with a car full of those mates and my 7 year old son. He gets it from me, and my grandkids will get it from both of us. His Grandads are both Manchester United supporters. A close call? No contest really!

The more non-City kids we can hook, the better. We need to show them that watching 20 "live and exclusive to Sky" games on telly is not a patch on 45 minutes against Lincoln (20 mins against Preston, last 30 mins at Donny etc etc wink.gif )

Good on yer Bear. Keep spreading the word mate. We must catch that beer sometime, it'll be like 2 old bastards debating domino rules over pints of half shilling mild!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_xSarahCx_*
post Aug 23 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #7

Guests

I fink we shud all get behind da blues! wat can we do tho 2 get more support?

+Quote Post
Loyalist Blues
post Aug 23 2005, 01:27 PM
Post #8

Youth team

Member No.: 1648

Unfortunately it's a hard job to convince the people of the city to actually go along and watch their Local side rather than making the effort they do make to go to either Anfield, Goodison or Old Trafford etc.

Then there's the other people of the city who just like to mock Chester and point out the bad points rather than the good and don't even go the matches anyway.

Then there's people who I've talked to and they seem interested in going along to watch the side on a regular basis then they are put off by the admission price. Sure the hardcore who goes every week doesn't mind paying whatever to get in the stadium but when you're trying to attract new fans they need to feel as though they are getting value for money - especially if they wanna bring the kids and get a programme and something to eat etc - have you seen the prices they charge for drinks, pies etc.

It's a hard job to attract new fans and keep them at the stadium on a regular basis in a City like Chester. Just look at the day City won the conference title and how many people have gone missing from the stadium from that day. If that never wetted your appetite for more than nothing ever will

--------------------
Chester City, Glasgow Rangers, Linfield F.C - Loyalist Blues !!!

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Aug 23 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #9

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Loyalist Blues @ Aug 23 2005, 02:27 PM)
Then there's people who I've talked to and they seem interested in going along to watch the side on a regular basis then they are put off by the admission price. Sure the hardcore who goes every week doesn't mind paying whatever to get in the stadium but when you're trying to attract new fans they need to feel as though they are getting value for money - especially if they wanna bring the kids and get a programme and something to eat etc - have you seen the prices they charge for drinks, pies etc.

The thing is that our admission prices are among the lowest in the division, and we have to charge amounts in that region to compete. A lot of people are horrified when I tell them how much it costs (many seem to assume it costs about 50p) but unfortunately football has got itself into such a state that every club needs to overcharge to stay alive

+Quote Post
Bear in the Big ...
post Aug 23 2005, 02:18 PM
Post #10

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (NWAS @ Aug 23 2005, 02:21 PM)
We must catch that beer sometime, it'll be like 2 old bastards debating domino rules over pints of half shilling mild!

I'm sure we could put the world to right, and at the same time increase the profits of all major breweries. smile.gif

--------------------
Proud to be one spot of rain in a "shower of fools"

+Quote Post
Hong Kong Bluey
post Aug 23 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #11

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 325

If I had money then I wouldn't hesitate to invest it in the club. Keep hoping I win the lottery and can donate some much needed cash to the running of the club.

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Aug 23 2005, 03:38 PM
Post #12

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hong Kong Bluey @ Aug 23 2005, 04:10 PM)
If I had money then I wouldn't hesitate to invest it in the club. Keep hoping I win the lottery and can donate some much needed cash to the running of the club.

You got to keep dreaming HKB! Work towards it and then do it. I give my small bit to the Trust every month, plus the kids shirts/DVD's/progs/admissions etc we all give what we can.

Games like tonight are what make it worthwhile. I remember reading something written by a Chester fan (David Evans I think) during the administration days about supporting a smaller club, and how you individually could make a difference (one in 2000 being more vocal, and more valuable, than one in 65000). And how that all of the crap times made all of the good times that much sweeter, and helping personally made it sweeter still.

Keep the Blue flag flying high, and preach to the non believers about the promised land! They might moan about paying £12, but it beats £36 a game at Old Trafford.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sifter
post Aug 23 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #13

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Member No.: 1644

I was going to write a post just like nwas but could never of put it down like that. Am gutted right now cos i have spent over £300 to go to first 3 games of season & one of them was off 5 mins after i got off the M56!!!!
I remember years ago when city played at Sealand Road that you couldn’t not know when city were at home next cos it was up in big writing. i think we should put a board up on the back of home base (or whatever it is now) that’s about where the old sign used to be. A hell of a lot of people drive past there everyday.
don't the bus stops in & around Chester have matrix systems now with info flashing up about when the next bus is due? Can Chester city not sponsor them to get news & upcoming fixtures scrolling on them???? can also put add's on the back of park & ride / pay & display tickets??? I wonder how much it would cost to get a bus done up in club colors??? that would catch the eye. would need a good slogan to go on the back end of the bus though. something like "raply couldnt hit this if he tried??" sleep.gif

--------------------
3 is the magic number

+Quote Post
RPFC
post Aug 23 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #14

Roger Preece Fan Club

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (NWAS @ Aug 23 2005, 04:38 PM)
I remember reading something written by a Chester fan (David Evans I think) during the administration days about supporting a smaller club, and how you individually could make a difference (one in 2000 being more vocal, and more valuable, than one in 65000). And how that all of the crap times made all of the good times that much sweeter, and helping personally made it sweeter still.

Don't know if this is what you mean, but if not it still does the job.

--------------------
Feared by the reds
Loved by the Blues
Roger Preece, Roger Preece, Roger Preece

+Quote Post
Mansfield Blue
post Aug 23 2005, 08:00 PM
Post #15

1st team regular
Group Icon

Member No.: 148

In Mansfield there is a 'Stags' bus which has been around for a while. It is a double decker Stagecoach bus made out completely in Blue and Yellow with 'Follow the Stags' slogans all over it.

I am not sure how it works i.e. Have the club paid for the paint job or is it Stagecoach giving a bit of sponsorship but it does look good. And who knows, maybe if someone is stuck behind it in traffic for a while they may just decide to go to a game.

--------------------
And we that are left grow old with the years,
Remembering the heartache, the pain and the tears.
Hoping and praying, that never again,
Man will sink to such sorrow and shame.
The price that was paid, we will always remember,
Every day, every month, not just in November

+Quote Post
blue_moshess
post Aug 23 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #16

This bitch bites!

Member No.: 667

QUOTE (Mansfield Blue @ Aug 23 2005, 09:00 PM)
In Mansfield there is a 'Stags' bus which has been around for a while. It is a double decker Stagecoach bus made out completely in Blue and Yellow with 'Follow the Stags' slogans all over it.

I am not sure how it works i.e. Have the club paid for the paint job or is it Stagecoach giving a bit of sponsorship but it does look good. And who knows, maybe if someone is stuck behind it in traffic for a while they may just decide to go to a game.

Hasn't swayed me back to the dark side yet!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Heaven ablaze in our eyes,
We're standing still in time.
The blood on our hands is the wine,
We offer as sacrifice.

Rip out the Wings of a Butterfly-HIM

Proud co sponsor of Luke Dimech 2005/2006

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Aug 23 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #17

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1207

QUOTE (Bear in the Big Blue House @ Aug 23 2005, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (NWAS @ Aug 23 2005, 02:21 PM)
We must catch that beer sometime, it'll be like 2 old bastards debating domino rules over pints of half shilling mild!

I'm sure we could put the world to right, and at the same time increase the profits of all major breweries. smile.gif

Next time I am over we could really go to town on that!!

--------------------
Posting from the Great White North

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2017 - 09:21 AM