> Vinyl Records....., .....or CDs?
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 2 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #1

Club Director
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2595

Last week I was mooching around the antique centre ,Bryn-y-gog the other day and came across literally hundreds of vinyl records,and for the first time for a long time bought some,£1 each,second hand of course.
But the main reason of this post was to say,I did notice playing them I noticed a difference in sound for the first time against the sound of CDs,I don't know if it sounded better,but certainly different,possibly sharper,and "fresher".

One other thing also I noticed there was the amount of "Top of the Pops" LPs that there were there,do you remember them? They were on sale at most Woolworth stores,In the last sixties early seventies,and were compilations of the hits at the time,covered by "session singers"
I was sure I read somewhere that these were now becoming collectible,because it seems the likes of Elton John,David Bowie,and others "Cut their teeth" singing on these records,if so,there are dozens available at this place,cheap! biggrin.gif

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Sep 2 2014, 05:41 PM
Post #2

The Reaper
Group Icon

Member No.: 79

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 2 2014, 06:02 PM) *
Last week I was mooching around the antique centre ,Bryn-y-gog the other day and came across literally hundreds of vinyl records,and for the first time for a long time bought some,£1 each,second hand of course.
But the main reason of this post was to say,I did notice playing them that I noticed a difference in sound for the first time against the sound of CDs,I don't know if it sounded better,but certainly different,possibly sharper,and "fresher".

One other thing also I noticed there was the amount of "Top of the Pops" LPs that there were there,do you remember them? They were on sale at most Woolworth stores,In the late sixties early seventies,and were compilations of the hits at the time,covered by "session singers"
I was sure I read somewhere that these were now becoming collectible,because it seems the likes of Elton John,David Bowie,and others "Cut their teeth" singing on these records,if so,there are dozens available at this place,cheap! biggrin.gif

Just got rid of all my LP's. They were snapped up on a boot sale in minutes. Got to say vinyl sounds "warmer" to me but I dislike the crackles on them biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Entertainments may be taxed; public houses may be taxed… and the yield devoted to the general revenue. But motorists are to be privileged for all time to have the tax on motors devoted to roads? This is an outrage upon… common sense." Winston Churchill

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 2 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #3

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

I like vinyl. It just looks and feels good. It's a quirky and impractical way to listen to music in the 21st Century, but I can't ever see myself being convinced that I'm getting my money's worth by paying just for a download.

+Quote Post
Che Guevara
post Sep 2 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #4

Castra Devana

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1198

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 2 2014, 06:02 PM) *
But the main reason of this post was to say,I did notice playing them that I noticed a difference in sound for the first time against the sound of CDs,I don't know if it sounded better,but certainly different,possibly sharper,and "fresher".

One other thing also I noticed there was the amount of "Top of the Pops" LPs that there were there,do you remember them? They were on sale at most Woolworth stores,In the late sixties early seventies,and were compilations of the hits at the time,covered by "session singers"

Until recently I was a moderator on an 'audiophile' forum, so its very much an interest of mine. My personal view is that both can be good, and vinyl does add something to the experience, particularly on older stuff but I'm a staunch CD enthusiast. And its more about the amp, speakers etc. than the source material. MP3s is another debate, although recently they have become ALMOST as good as a DDD CD

--------------------
Neil Young: You WERE the caretaker here.

Harry McNally: I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but YOU are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know Sir - I've always been here.

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 2 2014, 08:27 PM
Post #5

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

I'm like AndyHa, I like vinyl but they do crackle a bit.

In a hi-fi system, I think good speakers are the most important thing because they're the bits you actually listen to. I've always been a fan of Quad Electrostatics. Funny looking things, they look like radiators, but whenever I've heard them play anything, they sound great.

On the subject of vinyl, does anyone remember Vinyl Dave from the market? Sadly, he passed away last week. RIP Dave.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 2 2014, 08:47 PM
Post #6

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (3mm @ Sep 2 2014, 09:27 PM) *
I'm like AndyHa, I like vinyl but they do crackle a bit.

In a hi-fi system, I think good speakers are the most important thing because they're the bits you actually listen to. I've always been a fan of Quad Electrostatics. Funny looking things, they look like radiators, but whenever I've heard them play anything, they sound great.

On the subject of vinyl, does anyone remember Vinyl Dave from the market? Sadly, he passed away last week. RIP Dave.

Do you mean Dave House 3mm? God Bless him,known him for years.Thats really sad news.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 2 2014, 09:10 PM
Post #7

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Sep 2 2014, 09:47 PM) *
QUOTE (3mm @ Sep 2 2014, 09:27 PM) *
Do you mean Dave House 3mm? God Bless him,known him for years.Thats really sad news.

Yes, Dave House.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Jay Hawks
post Sep 3 2014, 09:16 PM
Post #8

The Rock Maestro

Member No.: 803

Love Vinyl. I buy mainly CDs today but do add a few Vinyl records along the way. I grew up on Vinyl and sleeve notes and cover art. Mostly frequented Penny Lane for my music education.
I think Chester needs a good café shop selling CDs & Vinyl and fine cup of coffee. guiness.gif

--------------------
It's better to remain silent and seem a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt.

+Quote Post
therm
post Sep 4 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #9

1st team regular
Group Icon

Member No.: 643

I remember being converted back to vinyl by a more than enthusiastic guy at Peter's HI-FI in the precinct. He gave me a demo of CD v Vinyl (on an expensive turntable) and without the crackles there was just no contest, sound was just so much richer. Also remember spending hours in the 70s in Migrant Mouse (Northgate Street) and Impact? (Watergate Row) which both had brilliant selections.

--------------------
...It's a helluva start, it could be made into a monster
If we all pull together as a team.

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 4 2014, 08:13 PM
Post #10

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (therm @ Sep 4 2014, 07:42 PM) *
I remember being converted back to vinyl by a more than enthusiastic guy at Peter's HI-FI in the precinct. He gave me a demo of CD v Vinyl (on an expensive turntable) and without the crackles there was just no contest, sound was just so much richer. Also remember spending hours in the 70s in Migrant Mouse (Northgate Street) and Impact? (Watergate Row) which both had brilliant selections.

I knew Chas from Migrant Mouse very well,in fact I heard from him not long ago,he's back in America,after spending many years in Brazil.
My shop was just down the road from his place,so bought many,many records from him! The late Dave House took over the shop from him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Che Guevara
post Sep 4 2014, 10:22 PM
Post #11

Castra Devana

Member No.: 1198

QUOTE (therm @ Sep 4 2014, 07:42 PM) *

I bought bought my first ever CD from there :-)
That was the early days of CD, they moved on a very quickly after that. As said earlier, the source material is only a small part of the whole picture.

--------------------
Neil Young: You WERE the caretaker here.

Harry McNally: I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but YOU are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know Sir - I've always been here.

+Quote Post
Mr. Blonde
post Sep 5 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #12

1st team regular

Member No.: 11510

I'd like to get a record player and vinyl, always liked the thought of it. You can't get s**t music on vinyl either.

--------------------

Canadian Exile-c**t.

+Quote Post
WAZ THE BLUE
post Sep 5 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #13

August is the start of another rollercoaster season

Member No.: 1388

Vinyl

--------------------
BRITISH BY BIRTH, ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

OH , WHEN THE RED ,RED ,ROBIN GOES BOB , BOB, BOBBING ALONG..............

SHOOT THE BAST*RD, SHOOT THE BAST*RD, SHOOT THE BAST*RD !

MASSIVE CLUB MY @RSE !

'THE DAY CHESTER WENT OUT OF THE LEAGUE , I SPENT THE DAY LAUGHING' - BRYN LAW MAY 2000.............. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW ?
ONE WORD ...........KARMA

+Quote Post
Jay Hawks
post Sep 5 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #14

The Rock Maestro

Member No.: 803

QUOTE (Mr. Blonde @ Sep 5 2014, 09:42 PM) *
I'd like to get a record player and vinyl, always liked the thought of it. You can't get s**t music on vinyl either.

What the hell is your point Man????

--------------------
It's better to remain silent and seem a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2020 - 10:37 PM