Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Dec 16 2019, 07:58 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

We face familiar opposition once again tomorrow night as we entertain Hednesford Town at home in the Buildbase FA Trophy 1st Round Replay where we look to settle this tie. A goalless draw on Saturday means that we will have to do it all again tomorrow, which isn’t too ideal bearing in mind we have a lot of games coming up. Home advantage should give us a slight boost, but one thing we do need to improve on is our finishing as that let us down at Keys Park. We still need to put out a strong team though because I want us to avoid what happened at home against Southport last season. After a scoreless away draw we fancied our chances in the replay at home, but we never got going and lost 2-0 so it’s vital we avoid a repeat tomorrow.

Our last match was of course on Saturday where we drew 0-0 away at Hednesford Town in the Buildbase FA Trophy 1st Round in what was an average game. After a slow start we were much better, but our inability to put away chances cost us. The first period was rather boring as there were barely any chances, although when we eventually got going Matty Hughes planted a header just wide. I thought that the second half was more entertaining though, as we started to tire the hosts out on the break. Akwasi Asante did find the net for us with a tap-in at the back post, but it was disallowed for offside. For the last 10 minutes we sat back which invited a lot of pressure, but both sides were unable to find the net so we will have to do it all again.

Hednesford Town play in the BetVictor Southern Premier League Central and are having a very good season so far in both the league and the cup. In the league they currently sit in 4th place with a handful of games in hand, so they will fancy their chances of catching Tamworth who seem to be running away with it. Meanwhile, in the FA Cup they went on a strong run to the 4th Qualifying Round where they narrowly lost at home to Boston United, whilst in the FA Trophy they have gone through a few rounds, although we will be hoping that their journey will end tomorrow. However, manager Gary Hayward actually left The Pitmen at the start of the month due to budget cuts which came to a surprise. Danny Glover and Ben Bailey have been appointed as joint-player/caretaker managers for the time being, and have got off to a solid start as they are unbeaten in two matches.

We will find out our potential opponents for the 2nd Round at 13:00 today, so if we are to draw somebody like Notts County, Torquay United, or Yeovil Town then there will be a good incentive on offer. I can see a very low turnout for this considering the short notice, ticket prices etc. but the extra income will be a nice little boost for us. I’ll be there and looking forward to what should be a better game than it was a couple of days ago. Come On You Blues!

Score: Chester FC (Elliott, Hughes) 2-0 Hednesford Town

Attendance: 627 (21 Hednesford Town)

My predicted lineup:
Griffiths
Morgan Livesey Grand Taylor
Jackson Glendon Stopforth Ngwatala
Hughes Elliott

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 16 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/AIUJ84GGI00
Includes the latest blues news, key player to watch, plus loads more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 17 2019, 10:55 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

We survived a couple of scares from the visitors who did try to fightback in the second half, but our strong performance in the first period was enough to see us progress. Extra time wouldn’t have been for the faint-hearted given the icy conditions, so thankfully we held on. Hednesford Town impressed me more than they did a few days ago as they played some decent stuff and pressed us well which made things tricky for us at times. They can count themselves unlucky, but in my opinion we were a tad stronger than them and more worthy of the win.

Our first half display was very dominant as we were much more at it. It didn’t take us too long to get out of the traps, and once we did we played some lovely stuff. We stretched Hednesford out and got the basics right which was all we needed really. After just 16 minutes our decent start was rewarded, as Brad Jackson made it 1-0 to us. In the build-up Joel Taylor did really well to get to the byline before crossing it into Akwasi Asante, who forced Andy Wycherley to parry out. Jacko was lurking at the back post and all he had to do was fire it into the roof of the net. We continued to up the tempo as halfway through the half Jackson almost got a second, but he scuffed his opportunity wide. Hednesford’s custodian was called into action again just after the half hour mark as he got down well to deny a powerful Asante hit. A minute later Joel Taylor nearly scored a thunderbolt as he thumped a volley towards goal, but once again Wycherley was in the way of it. Not long after though, we put daylight between us and the visitors as Akwasi Asante made it 2-0 to us. This time it was Danny Elliott who did well to get to the byline, and all he had to do was cross it in towards Asante who nodded in. Towards the end of the half Russ Griffiths was called into action on two occasions, and duly made two impressive stops to preserve our lead. Firstly, he palmed a Reece King header away from goal that was just about to creep in, before he beated away a strong Danny Glover attempt. Our final chance of the half went to Elliott who was unlucky to not have made it three as his low shot was straight at Hednesford’s ‘keeper. We were well in control of part one of the game which saw us head into the break deservedly in front.

The second period was below par by us though as we dropped a lot deeper, just like we did in the final ten minutes on Saturday. Hednesford’s game plan worked to some extent as they pressed us well in the first half, and they used that energy to create attacks of their own in the second. From our viewpoint we made a few sloppy errors and our concentration wasn’t switched on at times, which enabled our opponents to give us a couple of scares. Just five minutes into the half Danny Glover pulled one back for Hednesford Town to make it 2-1, as he smashed the ball in beyond Russ Griffiths who stood no chance. Glover was through again a minute later as he fired over which gave us a major warning sign. Griffiths was involved soon after as he had to get down low to prevent Osebi Abadaki from levelling. At the other end though, our first chance of the period went to Gary Roberts who was unfortunate to not have wrapped up the tie, as a fizzing shot whistled past the post. Meanwhile, around about halfway through the half we survived another scare as this time ex-Wrexham defender James Hurst was the next to go close for Hednesford, with a strong hit cannoning off the post. Elton Ngwatala’s first involvement for us after coming on was to make an inch-perfect cross towards Anthony Dudley who forced Andy Wycherley to tip the ball over. Hednesford’s pressure eventually died off though as we tired them out towards the latter stages of the game. Moments after coming on, George Waring wasn’t too far off from making an impact as a header by him looped over. We saw the game out which secures our spot in the next round.

In my opinion Simon Grand goes down as my man of the match for tonight as he made some great recoveries and last-ditch tackles. He was also a lot more tidier on the ball and took his time rather than hoofing it at the first opportunity. Russ Griffiths had a solid game too as he made two really good saves in the first half to keep us in the lead. There’s nothing he could have done about Hednesford’s goal, whilst I thought that his kicking was quite decent too. Anthony Dudley was more involved for us tonight as he was played in his more favourable position which enabled him to drift in and out, and offer support. He did give the ball away in some stages, but he was more on the game than he has been in previous games. There weren’t any outstanding performances, but there weren’t any sub-par ones either. All in all, everybody did what they needed to do which is all that is required really.

We just about shaded the game tonight which sets up a lengthy away trip to Royston Town in the next round. I am looking forward to it now, and if we add a bit more to our game than we did tonight then we may stand a good chance of progressing to the Last 16. Next up is another home match, this time against AFC Telford United on Saturday where we have a chance of recording back-to-back wins. Telford surprisingly got hammered 5-0 at home against Leamington tonight so they will be seeking a reaction, although we will be wanting to further their woes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 18 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/wjpJFvV65Rg
Hope you enjoy.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2020 - 07:14 PM