Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What did Chester Fc ever do for the Evo Stik division One North?, An analysis of the financial impact of Chester’s away support on the
a view from outs...
post Jun 7 2011, 06:11 PM
Post #1

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 6226

My team of trained monkeys have come up with a fairly accurate analysis of the financial effect your away support had on the Evo Stik Division One North last season. Even though a lot of variables have had to be taken into consideration I feel its pretty accurate. The figures refer to income from gate admission only. No account has been taken of food, drink, sundries etc.

Your average away support was calculated to be 824. That is an astonishing 35% of your home support. Put another way Manchester United would have to have an average away support of 25,000 to equal yours in percentage terms.

The top five average attendances in the division were-
Chester 2383
Chester away 824
Chorley 757 / 639
Witton 337 / 278
Fylde 285 / 236

The Bottom five average attendances in the division were -
Leigh 127 / 94
Cammel Lairds 126 / 78
Durham 126 / 107
Wakefield 117 / 98
Harrogate 111 / 83

Chorley and the other clubs average attendances were distorted by the number of your fans (and other fans in Chorleys case). So in the column next to them is their average attendance minus the Chester match., with regard to Chorley it was noted that the games (excluding the playoffs) that produced their highest attendances often coincided with the various discounts they were offering, half price for season ticket holders of BPL clubs, kids for free, parents £5 etc. This drove their total income down lower than would have been expected if average prices had been charged . This pattern seems to be borne out by the apparent small rise in their away support and also suggests that at this stage the casual support remained just that - casual. However it did produce significant (at this level) income that may not have been available otherwise. If though casual support lives up to its name a club will only benefit in the good times. Something to think about if your club ever decides to consider this approach.

On at least three occasions the denial of concessions to your away support has inflated the effect your support has had on those clubs. You may want to remind other fans of this when they cast you as the villains with regard to pricing structures.

The percentage figure for Chester away fans equates to 18% of all supporters at all games in the division last season ,(figures do not of course include Chester’s home support). Your total support (home and away combined) equates to around 46% of all fans in the division. Big fish indeed . Remember though that although your resources may eclipse others, you have had to built a club from nothing in 12 months and start investing in infrastructure and sundries- e.g. £10,000 spent on frost covers, refurbishment of canteen/catering facilities etc.

As to the financial boost you gave the clubs. The percentages are as correct as is possible to calculate, the total cash amount is again probably near the mark.( I had to give the monkeys extra bananas- they calculated you probably got around £6 per head from your attendances so I’ve faith in the other clubs figures).

This is the percentage of match day attendance income for the ENTIRE season your AWAY SUPPORT has given this division per club in one game. Playoffs not included.

1 GARFORTH 51%
2 CAMMEL LAIRDS 42%
3 WARRINGTON 31%
4 LEIGH 28%
5 HARROGATE 27%
6 WOODLEY 27%
7 RADCLIFFE 23%
8 SALFORD 23%
9 CURZON 22%
10 TRAFFORD 21%
11 WAKEFIELD 21%
WITTON 21%
12 PRESCOT 20%
13 MOSSELY 19%
14 FYLDE 19%
15 WITTON 18%
16 SKELMERSDALE 18%
17 DURHAM 16%
18 OSSETT 16%
19 BAMBER BRIDGE 12%
20 LANCASTER 12%
21 CHORLEY 10%
22 CLITHEROE 8%

In monetary terms this comes to over £106,000 or 20% of the divisions total match gate fees income (excluding Chester’s income) for the season.

So to cut to the chase, your presence last season has almost certainly helped in a big way secure the future for quite a few clubs at this level for next season at least , if the legacy is used wisely. Not bad for a travelling shower of fools. Remember at this level no tv money, very little sponsorship. I understand you received £2500 from Evo Stik for winning the league, Chorley £2000 and all the rest £1000 each. The least amount your away support contributed is estimated at £2200 , the most just under £13,000, the average being £4700 . Average match day gate income for a game not including Chester is calculated to be about £8-900. But for at least five clubs that dropped to an average around or under £500 and in all out of 506 games played in the league, 126 had an attendance of less than 100 - total attendance for those games = 9797.

If you maintain the same level of away support next season you and FC United could be creating over a third of the premier divisions income. Fan owned clubs influencing the future of all those in your league in a POSITIVE way. As you did last season. Take a bow.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ean
post Jun 7 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #2

chester football club supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2289

citysign.GIF

please thank the monkeys on our behalf for going to all the trouble to generate these %

they do make intresting reading i am sure not just to other fans but our own ,who in the exitment do forget we did actuly start
with NOTHING AT ALL not evan a football,so as you rightly piont out we did have very high start up costs that had to be meet.

i do hope the money we left at these clubs is spent wisely ,it was great meeting up with the other fans and talking football and the like
something the higher league miss out on

ps send the banana bill to chorley as they have more animals up there than chester zoo biggrin.gif lol

thanks again

--------------------
I'M A FOOL

WHY DON'T YOU BECOME ONE TOO

bugler for the masses
west stand
golf pro to the stars
well nwas anyway

+Quote Post
TomCCFC87
post Jun 7 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #3

Exiled in York

Member No.: 765

Can this be emailed to every club chairman and manager who moaned about us being placed in their division? (i seem to remember there were a handful of them)

+Quote Post
sumo
post Jun 7 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #4

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 116

I LOVE THIS MAN.

+Quote Post
Undercover Seal
post Jun 7 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #5

1st team regular

Member No.: 5897

QUOTE (sumo @ Jun 7 2011, 07:26 PM) *
I LOVE THIS MAN.

A view from outside bowdown.gif

--------------------
A true blue and a welsh one since 75, message to moaners on here - dont talk to me about misery whilst your still s**tting yellow!

+Quote Post
Catford-Bags
post Jun 7 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #6

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2639

it seems like Garforth won the lottery last season..

--------------------
the world is a flat plate balanced on the back of a giant tortoise ........... and below that, it is tortoises all the way down.

+Quote Post
lukowski14
post Jun 7 2011, 07:15 PM
Post #7

1st team captain

Member No.: 3653

wow, fantastic work, and fantastic fans.. shower of fools indeed

--------------------
CHESTER FC
" at worst it will be brilliant "

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Jun 7 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #8

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

one of the monkeys has to go! cant edit the post for some reason but witton are on it twice. Ignore witton 18%

+Quote Post
billy whiz
post Jun 7 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #9

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 6249

QUOTE (a view from outside @ Jun 7 2011, 07:11 PM) *
My team of trained monkeys have come up with a fairly accurate analysis of the financial effect your away support had on the Evo Stik Division One North last season. Even though a lot of variables have had to be taken into consideration I feel its pretty accurate. The figures refer to income from gate admission only. No account has been taken of food, drink, sundries etc.

Your average away support was calculated to be 824. That is an astonishing 35% of your home support. Put another way Manchester United would have to have an average away support of 25,000 to equal yours in percentage terms.

Chester 2383
Chester away 824
Chorley 757 / 639
Witton 337 / 278
Fylde 285 / 236

Leigh 127 / 94
Cammel Lairds 126 / 78
Durham 126 / 107
Wakefield 117 / 98
Harrogate 111 / 83

Chorley and the other clubs average attendances were distorted by the number of your fans (and other fans in Chorleys case). So in the column next to them is their average attendance minus the Chester match., with regard to Chorley it was noted that the games (excluding the playoffs) that produced their highest attendances often coincided with the various discounts they were offering, half price for season ticket holders of BPL clubs, kids for free, parents £5 etc. This drove their total income down lower than would have been expected if average prices had been charged . This pattern seems to be borne out by the apparent small rise in their away support and also suggests that at this stage the casual support remained just that - casual. However it did produce significant (at this level) income that may not have been available otherwise. If though casual support lives up to its name a club will only benefit in the good times. Something to think about if your club ever decides to consider this approach.

On at least three occasions the denial of concessions to your away support has inflated the effect your support has had on those clubs. You may want to remind other fans of this when they cast you as the villains with regard to pricing structures.

The percentage figure for Chester away fans equates to 18% of all supporters at all games in the division last season ,(figures do not of course include Chester’s home support). Your total support (home and away combined) equates to around 46% of all fans in the division. Big fish indeed . Remember though that although your resources may eclipse others, you have had to built a club from nothing in 12 months and start investing in infrastructure and sundries- e.g. £10,000 spent on frost covers, refurbishment of canteen/catering facilities etc.

As to the financial boost you gave the clubs. The percentages are as correct as is possible to calculate, the total cash amount is again probably near the mark.( I had to give the monkeys extra bananas- they calculated you probably got around £6 per head from your attendances so I’ve faith in the other clubs figures).

This is the percentage of match day attendance income for the ENTIRE season your AWAY SUPPORT has given this division per club in one game. Playoffs not included.

1 GARFORTH 51%
2 CAMMEL LAIRDS 42%
3 WARRINGTON 31%
4 LEIGH 28%
5 HARROGATE 27%
6 WOODLEY 27%
7 RADCLIFFE 23%
8 SALFORD 23%
9 CURZON 22%
10 TRAFFORD 21%
11 WAKEFIELD 21%
WITTON 21%
12 PRESCOT 20%
13 MOSSELY 19%
14 FYLDE 19%
15 WITTON 18%
16 SKELMERSDALE 18%
17 DURHAM 16%
18 OSSETT 16%
19 BAMBER BRIDGE 12%
20 LANCASTER 12%
21 CHORLEY 10%
22 CLITHEROE 8%

In monetary terms this comes to over £106,000 or 20% of the divisions total match gate fees income (excluding Chester’s income) for the season.

So to cut to the chase, your presence last season has almost certainly helped in a big way secure the future for quite a few clubs at this level for next season at least , if the legacy is used wisely. Not bad for a travelling shower of fools. Remember at this level no tv money, very little sponsorship. I understand you received £2500 from Evo Stik for winning the league, Chorley £2000 and all the rest £1000 each. The least amount your away support contributed is estimated at £2200 , the most just under £13,000, the average being £4700 . Average match day gate income for a game not including Chester is calculated to be about £8-900. But for at least five clubs that dropped to an average around or under £500 and in all out of 506 games played in the league, 126 had an attendance of less than 100 - total attendance for those games = 9797.

If you maintain the same level of away support next season you and FC United could be creating over a third of the premier divisions income. Fan owned clubs influencing the future of all those in your league in a POSITIVE way. As you did last season. Take a bow.

What an impresssive piece of work; your monkeys could give the Chancellor a lesson bowdown.gif

I did wonder when i saw some of the routine gates for games in this division just what financial effect our 'fools' would bring,; dont forget this was just gate receipts, cityscarf.gif think of the pies and programmes and scalding hot plastic beakers of nats p**s guiness.gif that will have been bought on top

I imagine there will be quite a few clubs in the evostik premier hoping for a saturday home game next season; ideally bank holiday or near the end of the season. As for garforth, all their Christmases came at once!
BW cityscarf.gif

+Quote Post
sealand road vet...
post Jun 7 2011, 07:37 PM
Post #10

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 5701

A View From Outside bowdown.gif

Thats taken some time to do, nice to know weve helped some of the less fortunate teams to keep going.(cho£ley aside)

And to think a few of those teams didnt want us in the league rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
shadsworth cloud
post Jun 7 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #11

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 6545

i for one don't begrudge any of the clubs their windfall (well, maybe one)
its been a education to me visiting some of these grounds and meeting up with the army of volunteers who run football at this level. Sepp Blatter should get himself down to Harrogate Railway Athletic (for instance) before he starts pontifficating about the Football Family

respect to you all

+Quote Post
John CFC
post Jun 7 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #12

1st team regular

Member No.: 7687

Really brilliant analysis, my only quiry is that when Granada did the feautre on us they said that promotion was worth in the region of £50,000+ ..?

+Quote Post
Pauline M
post Jun 7 2011, 08:41 PM
Post #13

Chair - Chester Exiles
Group Icon

Member No.: 921

Thanks very much - it is a great analysis.

Any chance you could pass this on to the Non-League paper to publish? They really are very reluctant to tell our great story I know it did cover the the Civic Reception and Open Bus tour last week but the way they referred to us in the article entitled 'Are Sad Stockport the new Chester' on Sunday omitted to give a postive side to our demise leaving the reader thinking Chester had disappeared without trace!

I would be interested too in some estimations on the revenue generated by our fans on the catering side. I still chuckle at the announcement at half time at Harrogate 'I have to tell you girls and boys you have eaten us out of house and home and there is no hot food left for half time'. My brother in law queued for the WHOLE of the second half at Prescott Cables to get some chips so long was the queue!!! I have to say I ate and drank much more last season at these lovely friendly grounds that I ever did in the League. It's another world but it has been enjoyable! guiness.gif

--------------------
Join the Chester Exiles and have fun as we climb back to where we belong.

+Quote Post
archie thomas
post Jun 7 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #14

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 6230

QUOTE (shadsworth cloud @ Jun 7 2011, 09:03 PM) *
i for one don't begrudge any of the clubs their windfall (well, maybe one)
its been a education to me visiting some of these grounds and meeting up with the army of volunteers who run football at this level. Sepp Blatter should get himself down to Harrogate Railway Athletic (for instance) before he starts pontifficating about the Football Family

respect to you all

great post . and the fa should get down to moor lane to help salford city fans paint the ground. great fans great people at this level. bowdown.gif guiness.gif cityscarf.gif

--------------------
dances with wolfs
we whistled and we sang till the sealand end rang and we won the heart of the sealand end.

champions 2010-2011 champions 2011-12 champions 2012-13

high on a hill stood a lonely goat . higher up the hill stood a bloody big wolf. .. 0-2 TO THE PUB TEAM

134 goals .. ALABI 17 GOALS SEASON 16/17

+Quote Post
Harry Blaen
post Jun 7 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #15

born 2B blue

Member No.: 5237

Breathtaking work, VFO. Worthy of a national broadsheet.

This post has been edited by Harry Blaen: Jun 7 2011, 09:57 PM

--------------------
DEVA VICTRIX
XX

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Jun 7 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #16

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

QUOTE (a view from outside @ Jun 7 2011, 07:11 PM) *

Chester 2383
Chester away 824
Chorley 757 / 639
Witton 337 / 278
Fylde 285 / 236

Leigh 127 / 94
Cammel Lairds 126 / 78
Durham 126 / 107
Wakefield 117 / 98
Harrogate 111 / 83

1 GARFORTH 51%
2 CAMMEL LAIRDS 42%
3 WARRINGTON 31%
4 LEIGH 28%
5 HARROGATE 27%
6 WOODLEY 27%
7 RADCLIFFE 23%
8 SALFORD 23%
9 CURZON 22%
10 TRAFFORD 21%
11 WAKEFIELD 21%
WITTON 21%
12 PRESCOT 20%
13 MOSSELY 19%
14 FYLDE 19%
15 WITTON 18%
16 SKELMERSDALE 18%
17 DURHAM 16%
18 OSSETT 16%
19 BAMBER BRIDGE 12%
20 LANCASTER 12%
21 CHORLEY 10%
22 CLITHEROE 8%

Great work!

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post
Terrace Blue
post Jun 8 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #17

Squad player

Member No.: 4846

QUOTE (Harry Blaen @ Jun 7 2011, 10:57 PM) *
Breathtaking work, VFO. Worthy of a national broadsheet.

Awesome work!

Thanks for the stats. bowdown.gif

--------------------
we'll keep the blue flag flying high.
chester 'til i die.

+Quote Post
GrumpyDad
post Jun 8 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #18

Squad player

Member No.: 5466

If you bear in mind that Halifax were in Division 1 North for the previous two seasons next season will the first for a while without a 'big fish'. That's going to be a blow financially for a lot of those teams, although no doubt some of the perennial underachievers like Skem and Curzon might see it as their chance to finally get into the Premier.

This post has been edited by GrumpyDad: Jun 8 2011, 11:28 AM

+Quote Post
C53 kway blue
post Jun 8 2011, 11:37 AM
Post #19

Squad player

Member No.: 6336

Maybe curzon should hand over there match day money to charity as im sure i was reading in there programme after we played them that they didnt want us in the division. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Chris
post Jun 8 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #20

1st team legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (C53 kway blue @ Jun 8 2011, 12:37 PM) *
Maybe curzon should hand over there match day money to charity as im sure i was reading in there programme after we played them that they didnt want us in the division. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Well... they've got what they wanted now then, haven't they? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jun 8 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #21

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (GrumpyDad @ Jun 8 2011, 12:28 PM) *
If you bear in mind that Halifax were in Division 1 North for the previous two seasons next season will the first for a while without a 'big fish'. That's going to be a blow financially for a lot of those teams, although no doubt some of the perennial underachievers like Skem and Curzon might see it as their chance to finally get into the Premier.

To be fair, Skem and Curzon are probably over-achievers. Skem get 100-200 per game, and Curzon often get under 100. I'd say Lancaster and Witton are the main ones in that division who should be doing better

+Quote Post
Bambi_CCFC
post Jun 8 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #22

The MIGHTY MIGHTY Chester....

Member No.: 1490

Fantastic analysis. Garforth were the big winners here - they'll be made up with the original postponement!

All the nay-sayers complaining about us really don't have a leg to stand on. Fools.

--------------------
Northern Premier League Division One North Champions 2010/11

Northern Premier League Premier Division Champions 2011/12

Conference North Champions 2012/13

Supporters Direct Cup: Winners 2011
Peter Swailes Shield: Winners 2012
Cheshire Senior Cup: Winners 2013

+Quote Post
chunky
post Jun 9 2011, 07:55 AM
Post #23

Squad player

Member No.: 7762

QUOTE (sealand road veteran @ Jun 7 2011, 08:37 PM) *
A View From Outside bowdown.gif

Thats taken some time to do, nice to know weve helped some of the less fortunate teams to keep going.(cho£ley aside)

And to think a few of those teams didnt want us in the league rolleyes.gif

FCUM had the same issue, some clubs seemed happy and content having attendances of just 3 men and a dog. They couldn't see the appeal of a big gate and and injection of cash to help the club.

AFC Wimbledon, Halifax, FCUM and Chester have helped clubs no end with their following and deserve all the credit they can get.

+Quote Post
GrumpyDad
post Jun 9 2011, 08:17 AM
Post #24

Squad player

Member No.: 5466

QUOTE (XWWB @ Jun 8 2011, 01:43 PM) *
QUOTE (GrumpyDad @ Jun 8 2011, 12:28 PM) *

To be fair, Skem and Curzon are probably over-achievers. Skem get 100-200 per game, and Curzon often get under 100. I'd say Lancaster and Witton are the main ones in that division who should be doing better

Skem and Curzon have both made the play-offs in every single season since the Division came into existence (in 2007/08) without going up. They may be over-achievers but I'm sure they both believe that eventually they're going to make it.

I feel sorry for Lancaster, I really hoped they'd go up this season. They should have done it last year when they lost to Colwyn Bay at home in the playoffs after finishing 21 points ahead of them in the league. It just goes to show how difficult it is to escape from a division with only one automatic promotion place.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2020 - 08:01 PM