> Pitch, Looking terrible
stusblues
post Aug 2 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #1

One team in Cheshire...
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 3198

What has happened to the pitch this closed season? It looked awful on Saturday, as if hadn't been watered properly and was very long too. The length could be down to tactics I suppose but it's the worst I've seen it in years.

--------------------
Chester F.C....pub league extraordinaires.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NorwegianBlue
post Aug 2 2016, 12:32 PM
Post #2

Chester til I die

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 8140

I heard that a spare part was required for the mower but due to the cost, was refused.

The pitch now has to be cut using a conventional hand mower.

Embarrassing if true crying.gif

--------------------
I was there : 27-11-90 The 409 club.
I was there : 31-08-13 The 888 club.
I was there : 22-09-14 The "94th minute" club.

+Quote Post
stusblues
post Aug 2 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #3

One team in Cheshire...
Group Icon

QUOTE (NorwegianBlue @ Aug 2 2016, 01:32 PM) *
I heard that a spare part was required for the mower but due to the cost, was refused.

I sincerely hope that isn't true, as you say, embarrassing if it is. You can't just ignore something like a broken mower.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Harry Lime
post Aug 2 2016, 01:37 PM
Post #4

1st team regular

Member No.: 4989

QUOTE (stusblues @ Aug 2 2016, 01:35 PM) *

I sincerely hope that isn't true, as you say, embarrassing if it is. You can't just ignore something like a broken mower.

Yes. That does appear to be correct and embarrassing.

I believe it takes over 4 or 5 hours to mow using a conventional mower. Given the re-seeding over the summer we could have a real problem soon.

Given the relationship we have with CWAC, couldn't we get the use of a mower once a week until the mower is fixed? Have we tried?

I hope it's a temporary problem. We've a league game a week tonight. Otherwise we'll go from one of the best pitches in the league, to one of the worst. Maybe not having a slick pitch is an intentional thing.

Need to sort this before the groundsman gets some unwarranted criticism. People need to be given the tools to do their job properly.

We've a new general manager let's hope he gets it sorted.

This post has been edited by Harry Lime: Aug 2 2016, 01:38 PM

+Quote Post
cfc-blue
post Aug 2 2016, 02:17 PM
Post #5

Squad player

Member No.: 3870

QUOTE (Harry Lime @ Aug 2 2016, 02:37 PM) *

I believe it takes over 4 or 5 hours to mow using a conventional mower. Given the re-seeding over the summer we could have a real problem soon.

Given the relationship we have with CWAC, couldn't we get the use of a mower once a week until the mower is fixed? Have we tried?

I hope it's a temporary problem. We've a league game a week tonight. Otherwise we'll go from one of the best pitches in the league, to one of the worst. Maybe not having a slick pitch is an intentional thing.

Need to sort this before the groundsman gets some unwarranted criticism. People need to be given the tools to do their job properly.

Yep this is right, the request to fix the mower seemed to be denied. The groundsman works by himself, unless volunteers lend a hand, and has to spend the majority of the day hand cutting the pitch. I know he's done a lot of unpaid extra hours to ensure the pitch is kept playable, unfortunately though the quality of the pitch has suffered.

Sorry state of affairs really as the correct equipment to maintain the playing surface is as important as a signing a star player imo.

In saying this, we could do a crowdfunder for a new mower! I'm sure another £20k would get us a decent John Deer.

This post has been edited by cfc-blue: Aug 2 2016, 02:19 PM

+Quote Post
Hugh Jass
post Aug 2 2016, 02:22 PM
Post #6

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2181

QUOTE (cfc-blue @ Aug 2 2016, 03:17 PM) *

Yep this is right, the request to fix the mower seemed to be denied. The groundsman works by himself, unless volunteers lend a hand, and has to spend the majority of the day hand cutting the pitch. I know he's done a lot of unpaid extra hours to ensure the pitch is kept playable, unfortunately though the quality of the pitch has suffered.

Sorry state of affairs really as the correct equipment to maintain the playing surface is as important as a signing a star player imo.

In saying this, we could do a crowdfunder for a new mower! I'm sure another £20k would get us a decent John Deer.

Hasn't said groundsman quit his job?

+Quote Post
Juan King
post Aug 2 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #7

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1240

Can we not just loan some Goats off our friends up the road to keep the grass down.

Seriously though, this situation is an embarrassment and needs sorting. we're not a Sunday league outfit for crying out loud !!!

This post has been edited by Juan King: Aug 2 2016, 02:34 PM

--------------------
If you see a bloke opening a Car door for a woman,
It's either a new car or a new woman.

+Quote Post
njd1959
post Aug 2 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #8

1st team regular

Member No.: 11812

QUOTE (Hugh Jass @ Aug 2 2016, 03:22 PM) *

Hasn't said groundsman quit his job?

Somebody said Mike had quit last week, but he has working on Saturday at the ground. How can someone do his job without the correct tools if this is true. Who does Mike answer to at the football club? If he has to then I suggest they get it sorted out pronto.

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Aug 2 2016, 02:49 PM
Post #9

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

Thought we banked nearly 100k last season in the warchest, no way on earth is the part going to cost that much, this is is exactly why we need this money to fund the unexpected. Get the part bought or a new ride on and stop p**sing people off trying to do their jobs to the best of their ability.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
3mm
post Aug 2 2016, 02:49 PM
Post #10

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

Seems very odd if there's no money to repair the mower. You'd have thought maintaining the pitch to a decent standard was a given for a football club.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
wxmred
post Aug 2 2016, 02:53 PM
Post #11

Squad player

Member No.: 4576

QUOTE (Juan King @ Aug 2 2016, 03:33 PM) *

Can we not just loan some Goats off our friends up the road to keep the grass down.

Seriously though, this situation is an embarrassment and needs sorting. we're not a Sunday league outfit for crying out loud !!!

Sheep might be better. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
3mm
post Aug 2 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #12

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (wxmred @ Aug 2 2016, 03:53 PM) *
Sheep might be better. biggrin.gif

Dunno about that, they make a right mess of the pitch at Colwyn Bay whenever they get on it!

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
ANDERS
post Aug 2 2016, 03:18 PM
Post #13

Swedish Midfield Dynamo

Member No.: 2647

Is it Laurence Kirby's call to release funds for this?

Get it sorted and give the groundsman the tools he needs to do his job. The pitch is a right mess at the moment. Don't skimp on the necessary.

--------------------
"We were lucky then, it's a good job he's sh*te!"

+Quote Post
Arrogant Blue
post Aug 2 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #14

3 in a row

Member No.: 133

Lets crowdfunder for a new part. I've not been to any friendly matches but from looking at the photographs it looks a bit League of Wales does that pitch!

--------------------
One love, we don't need another love. One love, one heart and one soul. We can have it all, easy, peasy, ooh ho ho!

+Quote Post
Sideshow Bob
post Aug 2 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #15

Squad player
Group Icon

Member No.: 640

QUOTE (ANDERS @ Aug 2 2016, 03:18 PM) *
Is it Laurence Kirby's call to release funds for this?

Get it sorted and give the groundsman the tools he needs to do his job. The pitch is a right mess at the moment. Don't skimp on the necessary.

That's a worry - there is a balance and if this is true it doesn't bode well

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.
But rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

+Quote Post
stusblues
post Aug 2 2016, 05:15 PM
Post #16

One team in Cheshire...
Group Icon

QUOTE (Arrogant Blue @ Aug 2 2016, 05:47 PM) *
Lets crowdfunder for a new part. I've not been to any friendly matches but from looking at the photographs it looks a bit League of Wales does that pitch!

Why crowdfund for it when the club has over 100k in reserve?

--------------------

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Aug 2 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #17

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

If true it's a bleedin joke!!
How can we hope to complete with the money clubs in this league when we cannot afford to repair our mower or buy tins of paint?
The pitch is the most important asset the club have...sort it out ffs!!

+Quote Post
1midfield genera...
post Aug 2 2016, 05:41 PM
Post #18

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8334

If this is true, it is an absolute disgrace. Get it sorted fffs
Stuff like this is absolutely essential. we are not a Sunday League team, but an established Conference side.
Can one of the board come on here and clarify this, please?

+Quote Post
Always a Support...
post Aug 2 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #19

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Member No.: 159

QUOTE (waggoner @ Aug 2 2016, 06:33 PM) *

If true it's a bleedin joke!!
How can we hope to complete with the money clubs in this league when we cannot afford to repair our mower or buy tins of paint?
The pitch is the most important asset the club have...sort it out ffs!!

IF TRUE ? WTF ? Is it true ?

--------------------
Dancers are definitely not drinkers !!!

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 2 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #20

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

It looks a right mess, bobbles, patchy, worst state I've seen it in 25 years!

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
CO2
post Aug 2 2016, 06:46 PM
Post #21

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 6428

QUOTE (stusblues @ Aug 2 2016, 06:15 PM) *
QUOTE (Arrogant Blue @ Aug 2 2016, 05:47 PM) *

Why crowdfund for it when the club has over 100k in reserve?

Coz that's probably bundled up in the safe for some dodgy f**ker to run off with and leave us with FA again..!!!

Sorry but this is one of the most sorry embarrassing threads I've read since Chester reformed.
Decent people pay decent money to watch a f**kin amateurishly run pub team!!!

--------------------
Mark Cavendish - SPOTY 2011
Wiggo - SPOTY 2012

+Quote Post
Jimmy Cooper
post Aug 2 2016, 06:47 PM
Post #22

Squad player

Member No.: 5306

I can't believe this is true. If it is the board should be ashamed of themselves.

This post has been edited by Jimmy Cooper: Aug 2 2016, 06:48 PM

+Quote Post
NorwegianBlue
post Aug 2 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #23

Chester til I die

Member No.: 8140

Gary Kent would be disgusted.

If it's not sorted, what are the chances of getting future England C games?
I don't suppose any local Premiership clubs would want to pay for the use of a 'farmers field'to stage reserve games.

--------------------
I was there : 27-11-90 The 409 club.
I was there : 31-08-13 The 888 club.
I was there : 22-09-14 The "94th minute" club.

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Aug 2 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 173

Whatever has gone on, this really needs sorting as a matter of utmost urgency. Looking like a Cymru Alliance playing surface tonight.

+Quote Post
russ45
post Aug 2 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #25

groundsman

Member No.: 3617

It just gets better, ffs whats going on?

--------------------
When I watch you Chester, I go off my head....I just cant get enough, I just cant get enough...

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 01:38 PM