Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just An Opinion
Neil (Nuneaton B...
post Dec 8 2013, 10:26 AM
Post #1

Youth team

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 294

From what I have seen, and from what i hear and read, it's not just the fact we are in a relegation battle, i think this was always going to be a very tough season, even after our 3 years of success, but it's how we are playing as a team, to at least give us a fighting chance.

Neil Young has done a huge job for Chester FC, and we should all be thankful, but just maybe, this is a level at which he will struggle, a situation a certain Mr Moyes is finding out.

It's a simple fact, we all have a level at which we can work at effectively, and sometimes, you have to be honest with yourself, and say, "this job is too much".

People talk about squads, budgets etc, but just down from me there is Nuneaton, they seem to have coped after a tough first season, but what I remember from what I saw of them last year, even when they were struggling, they had a manager whose philosophy was to go out and win games, not just hope they could nick a point.

It is unlikely we will pick up enough points, if our tactics are just so negative, it seems when we go a goal down, there is no Plan B.

We have lost too many games this season, using this negative outlook, so why not see if we can instill a new attitude of attack.

If there are players, who simply show a couldn't care less attitude, then this has to come back to the manager, he sets the tactics, he sets the tempo, he gives the instructions, he has to man manage, and that doesn't just mean picking your favourites, no names necessary.

If, and it is still only if, we go down, the likelihood is we will bounce back, but unless the focus of how the team plays now changes, we will just be back to square one.

At the risk of dogs abuse, I simply think Neil Young has gone passed the level of management that he can work at, and we seriously need to consider other options, before January, and lets fight our way out of trouble, trying to play with a far clearer attacking mentality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TomCCFC87
post Dec 8 2013, 11:39 AM
Post #2

Exiled in York

Member No.: 765

We still have to stay optimistic. Too many people on here are talking like we are already down. We are not that far off safety at all. None of the teams around us seem to be pulling away from us so a couple of decent results could change entire outlook. Ok we arent playing well right now but there are always some surprise results over christmas and a decent signing in january could make all the difference (we have all seen one player come provide a boost to the entire team before) even a decent loanee could work wonders if we find the right one.

This post has been edited by TomCCFC87: Dec 8 2013, 11:39 AM

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Dec 8 2013, 12:22 PM
Post #3

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

Two sensible posts but I am not convinced by the tactics we employ to be honest we have players in our squad with plenty of talent but we are not just getting the best out of them, I don't really want to bring the Jim Harvey thing up again but it would be interesting to see another person like Jim to advise Neil maybe he could learn from him on how to employ a team to score and win, just a thought!

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post
TomCCFC87
post Dec 8 2013, 12:32 PM
Post #4

Exiled in York

Member No.: 765

QUOTE (Gizmo's Dad @ Dec 8 2013, 12:22 PM) *
Two sensible posts but I am not convinced by the tactics we employ to be honest we have players in our squad with plenty of talent but we are not just getting the best out of them, I don't really want to bring the Jim Harvey thing up again but it would be interesting to see another person like Jim to advise Neil maybe he could learn from him on how to employ a team to score and win, just a thought!

Im not against an adviser is NY is open to it but Jim Harvey hardly set the conference north alight at Stalybridge. If he is the best adviser we can get maybe we really are in trouble. I have great respect for how Harvey conducts himself as a proffessional but I just dont see him bringing much to the table as an adviser.

This post has been edited by TomCCFC87: Dec 8 2013, 12:34 PM

+Quote Post
Southern Blue
post Dec 8 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #5

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2331

I'm disgusted with most of the players to be honest. We pay their wages and they are letting down a great servant of our fine club in Youngy. You can just see them playing well if a new manager were to come in, it's just not fair on Youngy, the board or the fans.

I agree with the subject post, Youngy himself said a few years back something on the lines that it's worth risking a loss and going for a win as you will accumulate more points by winning more instead of accumulating a load of draws.

It seems that there is too much fear of losing, and hence holding for draws which is completely back firing. We need to be going out to win, and when it does result in some losses, be patient, and know that more wins will come by playing in that positive way. The team need to somehow lose the fear, and go all out for wins. I don't care what it takes, get a hypnotherapist in, get a sports psychologist in. A lot of this is in the players' heads, on the whole they have the skills to keep us up, they need to go out with a positive winning mentality.

--------------------
I want to play a game.

+Quote Post
3mm
post Dec 8 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #6

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

I'm not sure about our tactics either. We just look like we're trying to contain teams and then get lucky with a set piece. We deffo need to devise a way of being able to get at teams more.

For me, with this month's set of players... I think that means we need Rooney just behind two strikers. Might all change in January, of course, once the revolving door is re-opened.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Harry Lime
post Dec 8 2013, 02:14 PM
Post #7

1st team regular

Member No.: 4989

QUOTE (Southern Blue @ Dec 8 2013, 12:40 PM) *
I'm disgusted with most of the players to be honest. We pay their wages and they are letting down a great servant of our fine club in Youngy. You can just see them playing well if a new manager were to come in, it's just not fair on Youngy, the board or the fans.

I agree with the subject post, Youngy himself said a few years back something on the lines that it's worth risking a loss and going for a win as you will accumulate more points by winning more instead of accumulating a load of draws.

It seems that there is too much fear of losing, and hence holding for draws which is completely back firing. We need to be going out to win, and when it does result in some losses, be patient, and know that more wins will come by playing in that positive way. The team need to somehow lose the fear, and go all out for wins. I don't care what it takes, get a hypnotherapist in, get a sports psychologist in. A lot of this is in the players' heads, on the whole they have the skills to keep us up, they need to go out with a positive winning mentality.

How are the players going to confidence when they: -
- never play with the same players
- get dropped for a new loanee
- play out of position
- play in numerous positions during each game
- play numerous formations during each game
- get sidelined for a month, then get brought back in again

or combinations of the above.

It maybe that some of he experienced players lost confidence as they weren't played in a right position in the first place, then got dropped for a young loanee.
Seddon didn't play early on when his record suggested he was the main man. Now he's MoM nearly every week.

Most of the players 'fear' could have been avoided IMO

+Quote Post
rimmersring
post Dec 8 2013, 02:38 PM
Post #8

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 10799

QUOTE (Harry Lime @ Dec 8 2013, 02:14 PM) *

- play out of position

It maybe that some of he experienced players lost confidence as they weren't played in a right position in the first place, then got dropped for a young loanee.
Seddon didn't play early on when his record suggested he was the main man. Now he's MoM nearly every week.

to honest that happens to a lot of teams in this league, chopping and changing, injuries, bans etc, but the difference is that the bigger teams have more strength in depth
and can employ 'root one football' if needed, and also keep their balance, something we should have tried from the start and built on perhaps, i find it very difficult to blame NY as its the players who win or loose matches ...and if Saddon is your MOM every week we must be in more trouble than i thought! four goals in 22 games disproves this theory for our only real out and out striker... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Dec 8 2013, 02:43 PM
Post #9

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (rimmersring @ Dec 8 2013, 02:38 PM) *
QUOTE (Harry Lime @ Dec 8 2013, 02:14 PM) *

- play out of position

to honest that happens to a lot of teams in this league, chopping and changing, injuries, bans etc, but the difference is that the bigger teams have more strength in depth
and can employ 'root one football' if needed, and also keep their balance, something we should have tried from the start and built on perhaps, i find it very difficult to blame NY as its the players who win or loose matches ...and if Saddon is your MOM every week we must be in more trouble than i thought! four goals in 22 games disproves this theory for our only real out and out striker... rolleyes.gif

Oh come on be fair!!.....RVP would struggle to score in front of this midfield

+Quote Post
WAZ THE BLUE
post Dec 8 2013, 02:53 PM
Post #10

August is the start of another rollercoaster season

Member No.: 1388

I did say before the start of the season that Neil Young would be out of his depth this season. Yes we are great full of what he's achieved but we need a manager who guide us further & sadly Neil isn't the man.
I'll wait for the abuse from all the 'Happy Clappers'

--------------------
BRITISH BY BIRTH, ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

OH , WHEN THE RED ,RED ,ROBIN GOES BOB , BOB, BOBBING ALONG..............

SHOOT THE BAST*RD, SHOOT THE BAST*RD, SHOOT THE BAST*RD !

MASSIVE CLUB MY @RSE !

'THE DAY CHESTER WENT OUT OF THE LEAGUE , I SPENT THE DAY LAUGHING' - BRYN LAW MAY 2000.............. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW ?
ONE WORD ...........KARMA

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Dec 8 2013, 03:04 PM
Post #11

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (WAZ THE BLUE @ Dec 8 2013, 02:53 PM) *
I did say before the start of the season that Neil Young would be out of his depth this season. Yes we are great full of what he's achieved but we need a manager who guide us further & sadly Neil isn't the man.

Sure you will get abuse but the facts are there for all to see. W4 D7 L11 F17 A32 GD -15. Out of the FA cup and FA trophy. And crowds dropping like a stone
god only knows what the crowds will be on a freezing February night if we can only draw in 1700 on a saturday

+Quote Post
Joey Jakub's...
post Dec 8 2013, 03:17 PM
Post #12

Squad player

Member No.: 9128

What do you want exactly lads? We're a club only three years old staffed primarily of volunteers. Debt free and with a very exciting youth development system already bearing fruits.

Our club survived a century with the floating gobs**tes blessing us with their presence every now and agin, and we'll keep on surviving. Grow a pair FFs chaps. That goes for everybody.

+Quote Post
WAZ THE BLUE
post Dec 8 2013, 03:27 PM
Post #13

August is the start of another rollercoaster season

Member No.: 1388

QUOTE (Joey Jakub's Tache @ Dec 8 2013, 03:17 PM) *
What do you want exactly lads? We're a club only three years old staffed primarily of volunteers. Debt free and with a very exciting youth development system already bearing fruits.

Our club survived a century with the floating gobs**tes blessing us with their presence every now and agin, and we'll keep on surviving. Grow a pair FFs chaps. That goes for everybody.

That is the abuse I expected FFS we live in a free country & I am entitled to my opinion

--------------------
BRITISH BY BIRTH, ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

OH , WHEN THE RED ,RED ,ROBIN GOES BOB , BOB, BOBBING ALONG..............

SHOOT THE BAST*RD, SHOOT THE BAST*RD, SHOOT THE BAST*RD !

MASSIVE CLUB MY @RSE !

'THE DAY CHESTER WENT OUT OF THE LEAGUE , I SPENT THE DAY LAUGHING' - BRYN LAW MAY 2000.............. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW ?
ONE WORD ...........KARMA

+Quote Post
Joey Jakub's...
post Dec 8 2013, 03:37 PM
Post #14

Squad player

Member No.: 9128

Where did I 'abuse' you exactly, and where did I say you weren't entitled to your opinion?

I merely asked the question of what do you expect. What are your standards etc..... ?

PS. You don't live In a free country sadly mate, far from it.

+Quote Post
jack
post Dec 8 2013, 03:46 PM
Post #15

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3692

Agree with that.

Also factor in the fact some of our players have really let us down. We all lauded NY when he brought them in but lots look like they couldn't care less.

The talk is like we're 12 points adrift with 5 to go.

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Dec 8 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #16

1st team captain
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2156

You won't get abuse from me. We are playing SH*TE and regardless of the success of the last three seasons, the buck stops with NY. If the players aren't good enough it's his fault for signing them, if they are good enough it's his fault for not managing and motivating them.
I hate to say it but he is out of his depth at this level, managing seasoned pros and with transfer windows to contend with. He stands motionless and silent on the touch line and gives the impression that he hasn't a clue how to turn a game around. If only he was as vocal with his players as he is with the officials.
I do wonder whether he has the respect of the players but whatever the reason for our dismal showings, there needs to be a change of manager to change our fortunes and I think it a great pity that we did not get John Coleman in when we had the chance.
Some on here are expecting an improvement when the transfer window opens in January but I can't see any grounds at all for such optimism. There will be no improvement without a change of direction from the top regardless of how many new players come in.
Sorry if that upsets people, and I get no pleasure in criticising NY but as he himself says to the players 'Shape up or ship out'.

+Quote Post
rimmersring
post Dec 8 2013, 04:53 PM
Post #17

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 10799

QUOTE (Billy W @ Dec 8 2013, 04:01 PM) *

You won't get abuse from me. We are playing SH*TE and regardless of the success of the last three seasons, the buck stops with NY. If the players aren't good enough it's his fault for signing them, if they are good enough it's his fault for not managing and motivating them.
I hate to say it but he is out of his depth at this level, managing seasoned pros and with transfer windows to contend with. He stands motionless and silent on the touch line and gives the impression that he hasn't a clue how to turn a game around. If only he was as vocal with his players as he is with the officials.
I do wonder whether he has the respect of the players but whatever the reason for our dismal showings, there needs to be a change of manager to change our fortunes and I think it a great pity that we did not get John Coleman in when we had the chance.
Some on here are expecting an improvement when the transfer window opens in January but I can't see any grounds at all for such optimism. There will be no improvement without a change of direction from the top regardless of how many new players come in.
Sorry if that upsets people, and I get no pleasure in criticising NY but as he himself says to the players 'Shape up or ship out'.

things are going to get massively worse for the part time teams like us when winter kicks in, the bigger full time teams will pull away leaving a big points gap, but if we are the better of a bad bunch and stop up, that'll do for me... cityscarf.gif

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Dec 8 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #18

1st team captain
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2156

QUOTE (rimmersring @ Dec 8 2013, 04:53 PM) *
QUOTE (Billy W @ Dec 8 2013, 04:01 PM) *

things are going to get massively worse for the part time teams like us when winter kicks in, the bigger full time teams will pull away leaving a big points gap, but if we are the better of a bad bunch and stop up, that'll do for me... cityscarf.gif

I've seen nothing to suggest we are better than anyone

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Dec 8 2013, 06:42 PM
Post #19

1st team legend

QUOTE (TomCCFC87 @ Dec 8 2013, 12:32 PM) *
QUOTE (Gizmo's Dad @ Dec 8 2013, 12:22 PM) *

Im not against an adviser is NY is open to it but Jim Harvey hardly set the conference north alight at Stalybridge. If he is the best adviser we can get maybe we really are in trouble. I have great respect for how Harvey conducts himself as a proffessional but I just dont see him bringing much to the table as an adviser.

Don't really know what went on at staylybridge apparently he had a lot of young inexperienced players but he seemed to do well at morcambe! Maybe he is not the answer but worth trying anything after watching shambles of the last three weeks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dr jekyll
post Dec 8 2013, 06:51 PM
Post #20

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 5322

NY has done a good job in his first 3 seasons,just like all the supporters and volunteers ,and the fans who donated money at the start ,but that's where it should end.

Loyalty for one person should not stand in the way of what's right for the club.

--------------------
George Whitebread I like What i Say !! and ill say what i bloody well like!!

Rule Britannia ! My country Long Before England Wales and Scotland were invented !!!!

"DEVA" The Capital of Britannia ! Capital of the universe!!

"Chester Fan Born and bred Strong in Mind Good in Bed"

Dr Jekyll is and always has been Mike Hunt!

Why I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those meddling Posters on here!!

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Dec 8 2013, 07:54 PM
Post #21

1st team legend

QUOTE (dr jekyll @ Dec 8 2013, 06:51 PM) *

NY has done a good job in his first 3 seasons,just like all the supporters and volunteers ,and the fans who donated money at the start ,but that's where it should end.

Loyalty for one person should not stand in the way of what's right for the club.

Correct no one is bigger than the club Neil himself will surely feel he might of reached his limit who really knows if he has but looking at performances and the players we have we should be in a better postition right now, I am all for a clear out in January and Neil signing players that will keep the club up! Will that happen? Who knows things are tight financially so it's going to be difficult but what is the other option? Relegation I fear and that will have a negative effect on the club as it will be a backward curve, we knew we were going up but no plans were made for it other than to let good players go and then sign hasbeens!

--------------------

+Quote Post
keyboard ken
post Dec 8 2013, 08:24 PM
Post #22

1st team sub

Member No.: 9435

QUOTE (Gizmo's Dad @ Dec 8 2013, 07:54 PM) *

Correct no one is bigger than the club Neil himself will surely feel he might of reached his limit who really knows if he has but looking at performances and the players we have we should be in a better postition right now, I am all for a clear out in January and Neil signing players that will keep the club up! Will that happen? Who knows things are tight financially so it's going to be difficult but what is the other option? Relegation I fear and that will have a negative effect on the club as it will be a backward curve, we knew we were going up but no plans were made for it other than to let good players go and then sign hasbeens!

Its a catch 22 we either get better players in and hopefully avoid relegation, that will cost money, or we stay as we are and attendances will drop and that will cost money so the board will have to make they mind up and address the problem

+Quote Post
Sandbach Cestria...
post Dec 8 2013, 08:48 PM
Post #23

1st team sub

Member No.: 5518

Chester have always had a hardcore fan base of say 1600 with say 700 who will come when things are on the up ,it looks likely we will go down which should not be a disaster we need to set a sensible budget ( which will be higher than most) brush ourselves down recruit the best talent available and go again .
I am sure the fans will still come , we have ran before we can walk so far .

+Quote Post
toto
post Dec 8 2013, 08:50 PM
Post #24

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 314

QUOTE (keyboard ken @ Dec 8 2013, 08:24 PM) *
QUOTE (Gizmo's Dad @ Dec 8 2013, 07:54 PM) *

Its a catch 22 we either get better players in and hopefully avoid relegation, that will cost money, or we stay as we are and attendances will drop and that will cost money so the board will have to make they mind up and address the problem

It will be the first time I'll be watching the team this weekend.
From all the posts I read there seems to be some dispute between fans as to whether the players are simply individually not good enough or conversely that they are good enough but the manager lacks tactically and hasn't the skills to harness them into an effective force. I relish being able to see at first hand what they are like, individually and collectively.

This post has been edited by toto: Dec 8 2013, 08:51 PM

+Quote Post
Yossergolf
post Dec 8 2013, 09:28 PM
Post #25

Youth team

Member No.: 9071

If we do manage to stay in the Conference, tall order I know, then for next season it will be another new squad as most of the current squad are on 1 year deals, typical at this level but does not give any stability on the playing front. For as much as Neil Young and his team have achieved in the last 3 seasons, relegation will set us back a couple of years. We have to accept that with the crowds we can attract, average of 2400 in a good season, then we will never be able to hold our own in the conference - look at last season, a 90k loss with and average of 2400 in the league below. We can all discuss, argue and criticise who we want but at the end of the day there is a limit to what we can achieve and we all have to be realistic. If we do go down this season then lets do it with a bit of fight and have a decent go at sides, not hold back and hope for a scrappy 1 - 0 win.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2019 - 07:47 PM